The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 3 make world wide?
500 Million 2 1.14%
550 Million 4 2.29%
600 Million 4 2.29%
650 Million 6 3.43%
700 Million 9 5.14%
750 Million 10 5.71%
800 Million 16 9.14%
850 Million 30 17.14%
900 Million 33 18.86%
950 Million 9 5.14%
1 Billion 31 17.71%
1.1 Billion 11 6.29%
1.2 Billion 3 1.71%
1.3 Billion 1 0.57%
1.4 Billion 0 0%
1.5 Billion 6 3.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #226
Kal-E
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Iron Man 3 Box Office Prediction Thread

OW 175-205m
DOM 500-620m
OS 700-1.B
This movie is gonna be the best third comic book movie off time.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #227
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-E View Post
OW 175-205m
DOM 500-620m
OS 700-1.B
This movie is gonna be the best third comic book movie off time.
that's not exactly hard.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #228
jacobed
Banned User

I dont think it'll beat either Batman. It won't cross a billion. Thus it'll be the 4th highest of all time. It'll do higher than Iron Man 2 but not much higher

Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #229
Mr. Dent
Banned User

It will beat TDK.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #230
Scarilian
Side-Kick

From watching the teaser trailer (Currently 50 million people have watched it - about double the amount that say 'The Avengers' trailer)

Iron man made about 600m
Iron man 2 made about 600m
Iron man 3 will probably make about double...

Old 03-17-2013, 01:52 AM   #231
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I dont think it'll beat either Batman. It won't cross a billion. Thus it'll be the 4th highest of all time. It'll do higher than Iron Man 2 but not much higher
The hype numbers say otherwise. A lot of web prognosticators are already saying IM3 is a cinch to join the billion-dollar club this year. There's a *lot* more interest in this one than any previous Iron Man movie. Partly because of the Avenger boost, and partly because the trailers are so damn awesome and show that this will clearly be the best of the three solo franchise movies, by far.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #232
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Avengers changed that game. In 2008 I insisted there was no way in hell TDK was going to beat Spider-Man's gross, based on Batman Begins. I was wrong.

These things aren't always as easy to predict. It won't get anywhere close to TDK's domestic total, but I'm expecting this to do much better in foreign markets. If it had been released today, TDK would've done much better in foreign markets than it did, anyway. It's just a different ball game than it was 5 years ago. $350 M domestic / 500 M foreign is a foregone conclusion for IM3, with $400 M/ 600 M being entirely in the realm of possibility.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #233
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The hype numbers say otherwise. A lot of web prognosticators are already saying IM3 is a cinch to join the billion-dollar club this year. There's a *lot* more interest in this one than any previous Iron Man movie. Partly because of the Avenger boost, and partly because the trailers are so damn awesome and show that this will clearly be the best of the three solo franchise movies, by far.
Way too early to say that. We haven't seen anything from Thor or Cap yet.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #234
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I don't think it will beat TDK, but I think it will come very close.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #235
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I don't think it will beat TDK, but I think it will come very close.
you forget 3d will increase the $take by a lot.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #236
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Way too early to say that. We haven't seen anything from Thor or Cap yet.
By "best of the three solo franchise movies," I meant the Iron Man franchise. I.e., IM3 will blow 1 & 2 out of the water.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #237
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Internationally I think it will beat TDK and TDKR. Domestically, probably not, but I'm still thinking 400M or close to it.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #238
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Internationally I think it will beat TDK and TDKR. Domestically, probably not, but I'm still thinking 400M or close to it.
yup marvel has a hold on international appeal... IM3 will easily reach 1billion thanks to avengers

Old 03-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #239
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
It would be a huge jump to get to 1 billion based on the jump needed from IM2 and Avengers...also, the Star Trek competition domestically. Remember Star Trek was very well received at home, and we don't know just how big that jump will be internationally as well. These two will eat into each other on both ends.

IM2
Domestic 312 Million
Interntional 311 Million

Star Trek
Domestic 257 Million
International 127 Million

TDKR
Domestic 448 Million
International 632 Million

Even with the Avengers jump. IM3 would have to do about 350 Domestic and 650 International to catch TDKR Internationally and hit 1Billion (going by your international prediction)

That's a huge International bump. Over 100%.

I expect a Dark Knight-ish 1st weekend (140-160). IM did about 128 Million.

I am going to be play it safe 360 Domestic and about 440 International....as if 800 million is a lowball...

Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #240
ctsketch
Side-Kick

I think you are underestimating the avengers bump, not only was iron man the most popular to begin with... and this is a threequel but also it is the first post avengers movie which brought in a lot of new fans!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #241
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Star Trek has no international audience, I'm not worried about that.

There doesn't need to be a bump, because the bump came with Avengers. IM3 only needs to hold a decent percentage of Avenger's audience to take it to 350-440M. Keeping 600-700M of Avengers international audience will be pretty simple.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #242
Kal-E
Side-Kick

People are under estimating this baby.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #243
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-El View Post
Even with the Avengers jump. IM3 would have to do about 350 Domestic and 650 International to catch TDKR Internationally and hit 1Billion (going by your international prediction)

That's a huge International bump. Over 100%.

I expect a Dark Knight-ish 1st weekend (140-160). IM did about 128 Million.

I am going to be play it safe 360 Domestic and about 440 International....as if 800 million is a lowball...
What you aren't taking into account is IM2 wasn't in 3D. Hitting ~$360m US is just IM2 attendence + 3D. I think adding an Avengers boost to that will bring it to $400m+.

It's got a 2 week jump on Trek, 3 weeks on Hangover 3 & Fast 6. Internationally IM3 is out a week earlier still.

Hitting $500m OS should be feasible, so I'll call $900m total for now, but I'm more & more thinking this could hit 1bn.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #244
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
What you aren't taking into account is IM2 wasn't in 3D. Hitting ~$360m US is just IM2 attendence + 3D. I think adding an Avengers boost to that will bring it to $400m+.

It's got a 2 week jump on Trek, 3 weeks on Hangover 3 & Fast 6. Internationally IM3 is out a week earlier still.

Hitting $500m OS should be feasible, so I'll call $900m total for now, but I'm more & more thinking this could hit 1bn.

Why are people even mentioning Star Trek, Hangover, and F'n'F in the same breath as Iron Man??? Both IM1 and IM2 had *all* the movies in those franchises beat years ago, and there is no way in hell IM3 is going to make less than its predecessors.

2013 is a three-film race, with IM3, MOS, and TH:TDOS jostling for the top spot on the podium. Everyone else is just competing for fourth place.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #245
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why are people even mentioning Star Trek, Hangover, and F'n'F in the same breath as Iron Man??? Both IM1 and IM2 had *all* the movies in those franchises beat years ago, and there is no way in hell IM3 is going to make less than its predecessors.

2013 is a three-film race, with IM3, MOS, and TH:TDOS jostling for the top spot on the podium. Everyone else is just competing for fourth place.
They're mentioning those films because theoretically their subsequent releases in May might take away from Iron Man 3's total box office (as opposed to how Avengers and TDK/TDKR were met with little to no serious competition in theaters for about a month after each of their own releases). No one is saying that IM3 won't beat those movies, but it isn't out of the question to argue that they could draw moviegoers from repeat viewings of IM3.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #246
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I think everyone is in agreement that this won't do Avengers business. What we are saying is that this will do much better than IM2, partially because of 3D boost, but also because there doesn't have to be an audience bumb from IM2, that bump already happened with Avengers. IM3 only needs to hold a fair percentage of viewers from Avengers.

- Ultron V
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #247
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

And I should note when Avengers came out last year, most people on this site and several in the box office media predicted that Avengers would not break Harry Potters record. Most had it 150-155, they were off by 60 million dollars.

- Ultron V
Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #248
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Star Trek '09 made $257m US / $128m WW, it was very well recieved and will likely have built on that audience since then.

The Hangover made $277m US/ $467WW
TH2 made $254m US/ $581 WW (IM1 numbers), wasn't nearly as well recieved as the first but TH3 is billed as the last in the series & breaks the formula of the first two.

Fast 5 made $210m US /$624m WW in 2011. That's IM2 numbers. Fast 6 will be just as big if not bigger.

So yeah, this isn't like last year where the competition was Dark Shadows & Battleship.

Quote:
It's a two horse race between IM3 & DoS.

I doubt MoS will come anywhere close to a billion, I'd say it's doing great if it hits about $650m WW & could very well be beaten out by films like Hungers Games 2, Despicable Me 2, Monsters Uni, maybe even Thor 2.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks

Last edited by Moridin; 03-19-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #249
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
It's a two horse race between IM3 & DoS.
I agree with this. Right now I don't see any other potential films of that magnitude, unless catching fire's international audience explodes from hunger games.

- Ultron V
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #250
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I think MoS will outgross DoS.

Closed Thread