Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #126
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
TheForce.net

In the late 90's/early 2000's it was a pretty good site. But as many of have said, if you get a forum that focuses just on one thing in particular it kinda falls apart. The Hype has enough variety it has kept me here for almost 10 years.

One of the founders of that site I think helped create SHH or CS I can't remember which. Maybe both.
Oh yes I do know it in that case. Checked it out a few times around TPM's release and half the threads were about whoever just got banned rather than Star Wars discussion lol. A great sign!

Yeah, the variety is the key thing here. I joined for X-Men and once the buzz for that film was over (back now though), there were plenty of other areas to to make it worth staying around.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #127
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
So does anyone visit the TFN boards? I started going back after about a six year hiatus, and my god are people b***hy there. So many arguments in almost every thread.
I still visit there. To be fair, there's whole lotta b****n here too, depending where you go (Batboards, i'm looking at you. I never thought it could get worse than SW, until i stared posting there, and let me tell ya, that place scares the hell out of me ) . It's all about finding nice people to chat with, i think. I've managed to stay with a cool group there and like i do here, i just tend to ignore the bickering and not feed it.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #128
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

The Spidey boards arent much better than the Batboards. :/

Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #129
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

They really aren't.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #130
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

The non character specific boards are great though. Misc Films, Games etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #131
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

All the MCU boards and this one are pretty cool. Though, some of the Thor fans are starting to go down a dark path

Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #132
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I find these kind of threads cool as how much hate can you have for someone who has 2 of your big interests in common (on the assumption that everyone here would be into superheroes..or very lost I guess lol). Same goes for most other non-superhero related fan threads/sections.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #133
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I find these kind of threads cool as how much hate can you have for someone who has 2 of your big interests in common (on the assumption that everyone here would be into superheroes..or very lost I guess lol). Same goes for most other non-superhero related fan threads/sections.
I think most arguments stem from when fans believe they have more right to a character's fandom than someone else. For example, you get two people who have both grown up on Batman and love the character, both people are huge fans who hold a special place for the Dark Knight. On paper these two imaginary fans should be the best of friends, but unfortunately they have wildly different ideas of how Batman 'should' be. In this instance you end up with two people believing their idea of Batman is the definitive or 'correct' perspective, and the other fellow isn't a 'true fan'.

We've all seen people using that phrase. "You're not a true fan of X if you don't think X should wear a cape." or something similar. It's ludicrous of course, we don't own the things we're fans of and none of us have any more right to the characters and stories we love than anyone else.

Just so I'm not completely off-topic, I am very excited for the new Star Wars films.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #134
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The non character specific boards are great though. Misc Films, Games etc.
Agreed, it's a bit more balanced there lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I think most arguments stem from when fans believe they have more right to a character's fandom than someone else. For example, you get two people who have both grown up on Batman and love the character, both people are huge fans who hold a special place for the Dark Knight. On paper these two imaginary fans should be the best of friends, but unfortunately they have wildly different ideas of how Batman 'should' be. In this instance you end up with two people believing their idea of Batman is the definitive or 'correct' perspective, and the other fellow isn't a 'true fan'.

We've all seen people using that phrase. "You're not a true fan of X if you don't think X should wear a cape." or something similar. It's ludicrous of course, we don't own the things we're fans of and none of us have any more right to the characters and stories we love than anyone else.

Just so I'm not completely off-topic, I am very excited for the new Star Wars films.
That's the same thing u see with Star Wars as well with the PT vs OT (silly) argument and yes, i'm also looking forward to the new movies

Do you guys think Lando will be back in Episode VII?

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #135
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Agreed, it's a bit more balanced there lol.

That's the same thing u see with Star Wars as well with the PT vs OT (silly) argument and yes, i'm also looking forward to the new movies

Do you guys think Lando will be back in Episode VII?
Well BDW got approached recently, so I'm hoping. I love Lando, but I since we don't know what capacity, I'd be fine with just a small cameo. As much as I want the new films to include the original cast as much as possible, I can't say I hold out too much hope, especially with Harrison Ford, but we'll see.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #136
James
Built from Lego

I wouldn't mind if they held off on Lando (and maybe even Chewie?) until the second film, but Billy Dee Williams isn't getting any younger.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #137
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I wouldn't mind if they held off on Lando (and maybe even Chewie?) until the second film, but Billy Dee Williams isn't getting any younger.
I'm kinda split about that.

A part of me does not want Episode VII to be just too full of the old cast, just because. Again if they are going to do it do it with Episode VII so that the new cast can have those films to themselves for the most part. It's a tough one, but it all comes down to how they fit it in the story.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #138
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I think Chewie and the droids will still be major characters in the new trilogy. They're the perfect sidekicks, so why abandon them?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #139
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I'm kinda split about that.

A part of me does not want Episode VII to be just too full of the old cast, just because. Again if they are going to do it do it with Episode VII so that the new cast can have those films to themselves for the most part. It's a tough one, but it all comes down to how they fit it in the story.
I like the idea of all of the old original cast coming back, but they should all be playing senior/mentor/leader figure roles. For example, Luke taking on a Yoda/Obi-Wan Kenobi like role as the Grand Master to the Jedi Order and Ben Skywalker as one of the main protagonists or Leia as the new Chancellor/Leader of the New Republic or Han Solo as an honoured general of the New Republic Army who hands the Millennium Falcon down to his children. And of course it will be the new kids up for the big battle as Carrie Fisher said.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #140
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well BDW got approached recently, so I'm hoping. I love Lando, but I since we don't know what capacity, I'd be fine with just a small cameo. As much as I want the new films to include the original cast as much as possible, I can't say I hold out too much hope, especially with Harrison Ford, but we'll see.
He said in an interview today that his return is 'looking good'.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #141
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

You know everyone, Star Wars is a major passion of mine, and always has been since I was about 3. However, I've got to say, after all my happiness regarding the sequels getting made, after reading that Disney is taking over all animation duties, cancelled Clone Wars and may not give us the bonus material, and is cancelling good-looking video games, I almost cannot be excited anymore. Disney is really looking to be mishandling this franchise, and no matter how much amazing news it looks like we'll be getting about these sequels and spin-offs and whatever else, I can't help but feel that Star Wars just won't be the same.

this isn't me complaining, and I guarantee I'll muster some excitment back for the new films soon, and this isn't me saying the sequels won't be good, but I feel like the real era of Star Wars is over, and will eventually all be replaced by "Disney's Star Wars". Just doesn't feel right to me I guess.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #142
georgec
Not a hero

I'm with you. People were hung up on the "can't be worse than Lucas" mentality when the announcement came last fall, but I was skeptical from the beginning.

I gave up on SW as any kind of interesting property to me a long time ago so I don't care what Disney does other than releasing the original movies on BD. But reading about how they put LucasArts projects on hold (like SW 1313) and want to focus on mobile/social gaming is disheartening.

The SW franchise has so much potential. Limiting it seems silly.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #143
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
You know everyone, Star Wars is a major passion of mine, and always has been since I was about 3. However, I've got to say, after all my happiness regarding the sequels getting made, after reading that Disney is taking over all animation duties, cancelled Clone Wars and may not give us the bonus material, and is cancelling good-looking video games, I almost cannot be excited anymore. Disney is really looking to be mishandling this franchise, and no matter how much amazing news it looks like we'll be getting about these sequels and spin-offs and whatever else, I can't help but feel that Star Wars just won't be the same.

this isn't me complaining, and I guarantee I'll muster some excitment back for the new films soon, and this isn't me saying the sequels won't be good, but I feel like the real era of Star Wars is over, and will eventually all be replaced by "Disney's Star Wars". Just doesn't feel right to me I guess.
I'm sure that's what people felt with Marvel, too. But they've been hands off with them. Lucas and Iger seem to have full faith in Kennedy. They all seem to revere the originals and want to restore Star Wars to its 'former glory'. Hamill said he won't sign on unless it's as good as the ones he did. Abrams and Ardnt are obviously talented and big fans. Kasdan's on board. They're using (to some degree) Lucas' treatments for the ST.

I don't know. I haven't seen anything to make me weary of it yet. I understand where you're coming from, but let's wait until something starts moving before we give up on it.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #144
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:

I disagree but if you want to say the era of the real Star Wars is over, it ended (at least for me) when TPM started production. But it came back for The Clone Wars, to be fair.

Last edited by Snow Queen; 03-20-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #145
Viral
Side-Kick

Some new Episode 7 plot rumors!

http://www.starwars7news.com/2013/03...plus-more.html

Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #146
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

"A disciple of Emperor Palpatine aims to rebuild the Sith Armies of the Old Republic and destroy the Jedi where the Skywalker children will be thrust into battle and face their inner demons of their Skywalker lineage."

Simplistic enough to be a decent basis. Do not like the villain-related part, though.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #147
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
"A disciple of Emperor Palpatine aims to rebuild the Sith Armies of the Old Republic and destroy the Jedi where the Skywalker children will be thrust into battle and face their inner demons of their Skywalker lineage."

Simplistic enough to be a decent basis. Do not like the villain-related part, though.
Agreed and agreed.

Though, I honestly can't imagine Star Wars not revolving in some way around Jedi vs Sith, in spite of the end of Palpatine.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #148
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post

So it could sort of be the NJO rolled into Legacy. I could probably roll with that, I'll wait and see how things begin to pan out before getting too excited.

Quote:
I'm sure that's what people felt with Marvel, too. But they've been hands off with them. Lucas and Iger seem to have full faith in Kennedy. They all seem to revere the originals and want to restore Star Wars to its 'former glory'. Hamill said he won't sign on unless it's as good as the ones he did. Abrams and Ardnt are obviously talented and big fans. Kasdan's on board. They're using (to some degree) Lucas' treatments for the ST.
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit drunk when I wrote that last night. I still have a lot of faith in these films, I just feel the property is being mishandeled because Marvel may have gotten the hands off treatment, but Star Wars really hasn't. I know stuff like Spectacular Spider-Man didn't get renewed, but otherwise not much changed. Here it seems we won't be getting anything new from Lucasfilm Animation, we may not even get what they have left, LucasArts and their prospective games seem to be gone, and it is all moving to this ST focus, and it just seems like Disney wants to put a lot of distance between itself and the stuff that came before. I do admit though, I am still excited about the ST, and I have a lot of faith in the films coming. Just in nothing else Disney is going to do with the property.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #149
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Gonna disagree Dream Master.

Again canceling TCW, and 1313 is re-branding, I know some don't like it, but that's what they are doing. It sucks about TCW, but with 1313.....we saw one trailer, we have no idea if it was good or not, and given Lucas Art's in house track record for the past 10 years, I'm betting it was bad.

And Disney has a reason for doing this. I have nothing but faith and it has not wavered. Mainly because of who they have picked already. Michael and JJ just give me more then faith. They are pushing away the PT stuff it seems, and I know we've had this conversation some don't like it. But it's time to focus on something new, all we've done is focus on the PT and it's world (though some of it great like TCW) for 15 years almost. Now they are focusing on the ST, and of course the OT because we are getting sequels to them, having Luke/Han/Leia return.

1313 people jumped up and down off of one single trailer. Sorry, Lucas Arts has been garbage for years. They use to be the best, even with the non Star Wars games like Grim Fandango, Monkey Island ect. Now they hardly hold it together, and I think Disney sees that.

And someone who did not care for the PT, I think them re branding is the smartest thing to do, start with a somewhat clean slate. And even some of my buds that are PT fans just seem to say with me it's time to start a new anyways. They re branded the hell out of themselves in the late 90's and focused on the PT world for so long, let's go to something else.

Lucas Arts really needs to be gutted, and I've been saying this for years. They need to out-source to other companies like they use to, with Bioware, Pandemic ect.

And I know even Giakian will agree with me on this (though we don't agree on much) the films matter most, video games/TV-series ect come afterwards. The movies are the main focus and always should be. And with these films it seems they've brought their A-Games with a great group of talent.

But there are many people that want this focus on the PT to slow down, and maybe get some focus on the OT but more importantly the ST something different. And it's all a part of re-branding and I think Disney is making all the right moves.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #150
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:

I know how you feel. However, i'm trying to remain positive and just hope that Disney treats the franchise right. I just hope that even if they go with a fresh start (whatever the heck that means ), that in the end it all still feels like Star Wars.

As far as those rumors about the plot go, i'm fine with the concept of the new movies taking place 30 years into the future. I'm a bit confused about a Palpatine disciple (which one is that exactly?), but it's a predictable scenario, or at least that's pretty much what many have been speculating for a while might happen. I guess it's just a waiting/speculating game until we get more details

Closed Thread