The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: What announcement would you love?
Article/interview confirming the shared universe with F4 with deeper info about it 13 39.39%
'X-Men 4' aka New Sequel set in present time with full Original Cast back 14 42.42%
New Trilogy set in present time (X4, X5 & X6) 9 27.27%
'First Class' third movie & release date 9 27.27%
New X-Men spin-off 9 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #76
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: 20th Century Fox upcoming Big Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
What do you mean?
I mean that there wasn't a ton of time that elapsed between the last Spider-Man film with Tobey Maguire and the new one. Ditto for Superman's new casting with Henry Cavill and the former actor Brandon Routh. The last FF film was out just a few years ago and they are already developing a new one.

People keep saying that 10, 15 years have to pass before a new franchise can be reborn. Clearly the studios aren't waiting that long and guess what--audiences are going right along with it just fine.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #77
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Exactly. All the more reason to cast younger 20, 30 something actors NOW for X-Men so that they will still be viable for those crossover films 10 years from now. The math is simple.

The other alternative is this: if they keep this current X-Men universe, they would just focus on other mutants and phase out the classic characters. That would mean that Magneto and Xavier (played by McKellan and Stewart) just "go away" from X-Men films because the actors playing them will be in their 80s. Ditto for Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops and Jean--the actors playing them also being too old for the roles.

So that leaves us with X-Men films without the most popular characters. I couldn't imagine a line-up of X-Men without at least one or two of those top tier characters.
Yeah, it will be interesting how they handle all this for the long run. Everything still seems like a mess.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #78
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

So I guess you all think Robert Downey JR and Samuel L jackson are too old to play Tony Stark and Nick Fury.Both are older than Hugh jackman

Days of future past could very well be last X-Men film for Magneto.And remember there Is such a thing as recasting.

And If Fox were to copy Disney I gurantee you a X-Men reboot would be based on Ultimate X-Men just as avengers was basiclly the ultimates.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #79
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
So I guess you all think Robert Downey JR and Samuel L jackson are too old to play Tony Stark and Nick Fury.Both are older than Hugh jackman

Days of future past could very well be last X-Men film for Magneto.And remember there Is such a thing as recasting.
Recasting=Reboot. In this situation they would perform about the same. And we all know how hard fanboys are on actresses in this genre in general. Do you really think audiences would respond well to the most popular female characters being played by older actresses in action films??

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins
And If Fox were to copy Disney I gurantee you a X-Men reboot would be based on Ultimate X-Men just as avengers was basiclly the ultimates.
And? Few people really give a damn about 616 vs. Ultimate interpretations of Marvel characters. And I seriously doubt it's a deciding factor for the studios involved. It's about capitalizing on what have become major tentpole projects--and bankable ones at that.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #80
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:

Doubt it. If anything, the original trilogy more closely resembles the grounded nature of Ultimate X-Men, and Fox will want to go in a different direction. A more faithful 616 representation seems more likely, especially since the Ultimate line is a dead end.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #81
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
So I guess you all think Robert Downey JR and Samuel L jackson are too old to play Tony Stark and Nick Fury.Both are older than Hugh Jackman.
No one is saying their time will not come too. They already mentioned re-casting Tony Stark several times, you never know how long will he stay on board. Fury is a different story.

Quote:
They already have Fassbender.

Quote:
Not really. It shares some similarities, but it borrows from many different incarnations. In fact, it's much closer to the original Avengers than it is to The Ultimates.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #82
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Recasting=Reboot. In this situation they would perform about the same. And we all know how hard fanboys are on actresses in this genre in general. Do you really think audiences would respond well to the most popular female characters being played by older actresses in action films??
So Batman Forever is a reboot in your estimation? Or no because they used the same actor for Alfed? That's not what a reboot is.

If they retain McAvoy and Fassebender, how does that qualify as a reboot? I think we are now steering this thread into arguing about semantics despite the fact we all basically agree what will become of this franchise.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #83
Angamb
Banned User

it always ends with the same 'Fox wont do this, the actors are too old' mess

we should be more open minded and positive I think

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #84
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I never thought we'd get an ensemble after The Last Stand with most of the original cast. The fact that we are getting even this is a miracle. Absolutely the right place and time for it, if you were ever going to bring everyone back. So yeah, anything is possible. I am looking at it more from the logistics/business standpoint. I think this movie, right now, makes perfect sense from the business end. You need something that can go toe to toe with these mega franchises and this is the only play Fox had. So who knows what they come up with later?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #85
Angamb
Banned User

exactly, anything is possible.

so lets hope for the best, with a positive thinking. If they do another thing, we'll accept it. But lets enjoy the great possibilities.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #86
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
I don't know why some of you want to hold on to this old s***.
That's because most of them lack imagination and originality.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #87
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Not really. It shares some similarities, but it borrows from many different incarnations. In fact, it's much closer to the original Avengers than it is to The Ultimates.
I already tried explaining that to him, that the MS films are in FACT way more based on 616 comics.

If you look back at the first page at one of his posts, he shows how biased he is towards Fox/X-men films over MS films anyways. Waste of time getting into an argument with him/her.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #88
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
That's because most of them lack imagination and originality.
There's nothing original or imaginative about a reboot, and I'm one of the one's who thinks Fox is heading in that direction. There's nothing original about copying what every other studio is doing and there's nothing imaginative about Fox further copying what's already been laid out in the books, which is what most people who want a reboot are calling for. Still will be interesting and fun, though.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #89
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
There's nothing original or imaginative about a reboot, and I'm one of the one's who thinks Fox is heading in that direction. There's nothing original about copying what every other studio is doing and there's nothing imaginative about Fox further copying what's already been laid out in the books, which is what most people who want a reboot are calling for.
Nope.

That doesn't even make sense. To try to do something new from what we've already been getting for a decade...is unoriginal???

Also, when you say nothing imaginative about Fox copying the books...so you would be ok if they had an X-men team with entirely made up characters, made just for the movie?

Wanting the same cast(some of them aren't getting too old, but are in fact already too old for their roles)that we've had for more than a decade has gotten stale. It's incredibly boring and unimaginitive that the fans think no one else could or should play these characters. Fanboys need to open their eyes and not fear change.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #90
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
There's nothing original or imaginative about a reboot, and I'm one of the one's who thinks Fox is heading in that direction. There's nothing original about copying what every other studio is doing and there's nothing imaginative about Fox further copying what's already been laid out in the books, which is what most people who want a reboot are calling for. Still will be interesting and fun, though.
Why does everyone keep talking about a reboot? We already had First Class which featured none of the old actors (with the exception of cameos), and we have another movie with the new ones coming. So what's the problem with carrying them over to a third film?

I love your avatar by the way.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #91
JP
Smelly

Anna Paquin, Shawn Ashmore and Cudmore just hit 30. Ellen Page is still in her 20s. Jackman, Berry and Marsden still look incredible and could continue playing their respective characters for another 10 years. Is RDJ too old?

There's nothing old about the OT.

They just recast Xavier and Magneto (fantastically) for First Class. The last thing they're going to want to do is recast those characters a third time. They had their chance to reboot with First Class and they didn't. At this point I don't see them doing it any time soon.

Unless DoFP bombs. Which at this point seems highly unlikely. Especially if some of us are right and they do actually work out a deal with Disney.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #92
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Because First Class was in the same continuity as the trilogy and XMO:W and a lot of fans want to see characters that are no longer in the franchise anymore again, or characters that have been completely wasted.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #93
JP
Smelly

I also don't see why Singer would be trying so hard to fix the current problems with the movies with DoFP, and Millar AND Singer would continue to talk about how they think the franchise could be explanded if they were simply going to reboot and start from scratch?

I mean, do you guys really see them starting from scratch, and introduce us to Xavier and Magneto for the umpteenth time?

You don't need to "fix things" for a franchise that's ending. You only need to "fix things" if you want to build something stronger and better.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #94
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Anna Paquin, Shawn Ashmore and Cudmore just hit 30. Ellen Page is still in her 20s. Jackman, Berry and Marsden still look incredible and could continue playing their respective characters for another 10 years. Is RDJ too old?

There's nothing old about the OT.

They just recast Xavier and Magneto (fantastically) for First Class. The last thing they're going to want to do is recast those characters a third time. They had their chance to reboot with First Class and they didn't. At this point I don't see them doing it any time soon.

Unless DoFP bombs. Which at this point seems highly unlikely. Especially if some of us are right and they do actually work out a deal with Disney.
Finally a positive and objetive post!

I cant with the double moral of some users, when Robert D. Jr and Samueal are fine, but the X-Cast not.

Original cast could make another movie together and they would still look amazing. They look amazing, and they can have badass costumes, and fine hair and make up. Where is the real problem?? lord

Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #95
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Right on. I'm not sure why some here are resistant to the idea of the X-Men being recast with younger, more accurate representations of their favorite characters. Why not "get it right" like everyone else is doing with their franchise? Why settle for this alternate universe for the mutants when clearly the movie going audiences are primed and ready for more sci-fi level fantasy?

This is not 1999, 2000 where CMB properties were mostly jokes and studios were cautious about investing $$$ in them. Audiences now have willingly embraced the true fantastical nature of sophisticated comic book films. If they can eat up Thor and Thanos, they are ready for the REAL Dark Phoenix--raptor and all. I don't know why some of you want to hold on to this old s***.
I'm not at all opposed to the idea of recasting.

But it's worth saying that the existing movies do have a very good, memorable cast of solid, well-known actors and it's a brave move to dump all that - McKellen, Stewart, Jackman, Berry, Paquin, Fassbender, Lawrence, McAvoy, etc.

X-Men: First Class was an ideal chance for a reboot, but they chose not to bring in the Original Five team and instead tied it to the original trilogy and made some odd character choices (like an Angel who wasn't the Angel we all know). However, linking FC to the OT means they can now do DoFP because they have a past and a future cast already created.

I've been wondering if one possibility is that DoFP will end up being a reboot that leaves us with McAvoy, Fassbender, Hoult and new versions of Jean, Scott, Iceman and Angel, or even adding in new young versions of Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Gambit. But I'm not sure Fox would do this. With Singer back on X-Men, I'm not sensing a full start-from-scratch reboot any time soon.

I think the only full reboot that would work would be one done by Marvel/Disney. Only then would it have the comic book acccuracy, Avengers-sized budget and reassuring Marvel name to get excellent fan buzz and ensure it would be a success with new actors less well known than Mckellen, Fassbender, Stewart, McAvoy, Lawrence, Berry, Jackman, etc.

Fox will likely rely on Singer and its current roster of actors as selling points for the films, whereas Marvel relies on its solid brand name as the publisher of the comics - now backed by the massive clout of Disney which is already proceeding apace with new Star Wars movies (nixing Fox's own 3D re-releases in the process).

Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #96
JP
Smelly

Totally agree with you.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #97
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I think retconning the trilogy is what people are talking about here. No they don't start from scratch. However, if they still want to tell stories with the original roster/cast, that's fair game. I don't think they do both future stories and past storylines simultaneously. That would mean Fox would be putting maybe four X-Men films out in a span of like 5/6 years. Who is going to make the time for that? Again, I'm looking at the logistics of it. If people argue that both timelines can run concurrently, meaning putting out FC 3 in 2016 or 2017, X-4 the following year, more FC movies/spinoffs in between, X-5 in 2020.... no, I don't think that is realistic in the least. It is oversaturation number one. Two, it leaves you no breathing room for the FF franchise. Fox can only invest so much money in one franchise.

Now DoFP could gross a billion and be the complete game changer everyone thinks it will be. Remains to be seen. The problem is it is probably one or the other: FC continuity or ditch them and pick up where you left off. So who will you stand with?

Last edited by Mr.M; 03-20-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #98
NanaT
X-Men United!

I personally must agree with JP, Angamb and everyone else that see the potential in an X4/X5 with the main original cast of Jackman, Berry, Paquin, Ashmore, Page, Cudmore etc. As has been said all these actors are still pretty young, or look young and fit enough to easily play these characters again for another trilogy and I personally see that as the best way forward.

Now unlike others I'm, not immediately against a reboot and I would be in favour of one if I felt that it was the right move by the studio for the future of this franchise but at this moment all signs point towards Fox continuing the franchise with the OT cast and I think if we weigh the pros against the cons we find that there are a whole lot more benefit from keeping the OT than there is in rebooting.

One major Pro for keeping the OT is that it is the safest bet many people are familiar with the cast (who are among the most successful and well-know stars of this decade) and would like to see a continuation of the characters' stories. Also Bryan Singer is returning to the franchise he started and is probably the only person that could carry this franchise in the state it is in.

One Major pro for rebooting is that it's a fresh start and the perfect opportunity to give more accurate portrayals of characters with younger (possibly unknown) actors. Have better adaptations of iconic storylines e.g. Dark Phoenix Saga.

One major con of keeping the OT is that the movies will be stuck with the inaccurate portrayals of the characters and the convoluted continuity.

One major con for rebooting would be that they would have to start from square one and develop all these characters again. Some of the unknown actors may not be as bankable and as much as people want to think so the X-Men brand alone does not sell (at least not as much as Avengers) they will need the star power of Jackman, Berry, Mckellen, Stewart, Lawrence, Fassbender, Mcavoy etc. It would also be stupid to have reinvigorated the franchise with new actors from the First Class cast only to discard them.

From my point of view everything seems to be resting on how well Days of Future Past performs but more than likely it will do well, certainly better than First Class and maybe even better that X3, but will it do Avengers numbers? (or close to it?). I still personally think that at this point it's better to stick with the devil you know. The original cast have never failed before and every movie they've featured in has been better than the last. they are a tried and tested formula and if Fox want to do as well as Avengers it will need it's star players.

And think about many people have been waiting for villains like apocalypse and sinister to feature and more iconic storylines to be finally brought to the big screen. A reboot would mean another origin story and apocalypse and sinister cannot be featured because they would be too big characters to focus on in the first couple movies it means we'll have to wait even longer to see them appear on screen. X4/X5 with original casts seems the less riskiest endeavor with huge benefits.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #99
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Assuming Mark Miller isn't full of it, I actually think the announcement will be Fantastic Four related and not X-Men related. That said, I agree with Lightning that a reboot will happen sooner than later, BUT I don't think that is what the announcement is going to be about and for a couple reasons.

1. It is a less than smart PR move to announce a reboot, and begin speculation about new cast, crew, etc., while still trying to promote The Wolverine and Days of Future Past. Fox would simply be hurting its investments by needlessly diverting attention away from them. It's unnecessary property cannibalism, for lack of a better term.

2. It is a poor business decision to announce a reboot before knowing the financial outcome of two of the studio's major investments, especially Days of Future Past. Money talks, so why not see what audiences have to say first?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I will laugh if the announcement is that Days of Future Past is being split into two movies... but surely not?
I keep forgetting that DOFP isn't two movies. Yet.

Agreed on all points. I think it absolutely will and should be rebooted at some point, but it would be a really dumb business decision to announce that when they have DOFP about to start shooting and The Wolverine coming out this summer.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #100
Angamb
Banned User

a simple option would be X4 after DOFP, as final movie with Full original cast, and two years later, go back to FC series and maybe keep going with them. along with other x-proyects, like new spin-offs.

Its not like Fox should do a whole new trilogy with original cast, but at least ONE movie, to give them one last time to shine, together.

Specially James Marsden, Cumming, Kelsey and Taylor. Thle ones that only have had one movie, appart from Cyclops, of course, but he is another story.