The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #501
Maximus One
Oddball

Default Re: The Shield - 7th and Final Season

I loved that about Dutch. It was such a twisted moment for an incredibly deep and slightly tormented character. I sympathize with Dutch a lot and I get that he was curious about it like that. It'd be difficult to get so inside serial killers heads like he is able to do and not have a bit of darkness inside yourself

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #502
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

Agreed, Dutch was the kind of character that you could see a bit of yourself in. Which was what made it so great that after years of being **** on, everyone grew to secretly fear/respect him.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #503
James
Built from Lego

From IMDB:

In the Sons Of Anarchy season 1 dvd commentary, creator Kurt Sutter (Who was a writer on the Shield and who also played Margos Dezerian) stated that his original pitch for Dutch in the final episode of The Shield series would have Dutch come home after long day's work, go down into his basement to reveal a bunch of dead bodies or a torture room or something along those lines. Showing Dutch to be a serial killer. While this idea was quickly scrapped by Shawn Ryan, therefore is not canon; it shows that there was something odd about Dutch that even some of the writers on the show wanted to elaborate on.

I'm glad Shawn Ryan scrapped the idea. As odd as Dutch was from time to time, at the heart of it all the character was a noble guy.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #504
Maximus One
Oddball

Yea I would've never wanted anything like that with Dutch. I mean, it would've been too obvious and IMO totally diminished his character. I honestly still can't believe him and Danni never actually hooked up.

Another character I can't help but to love was Billings. He was so great, a douche bag no doubt but he was actually a good detective and a good guy. I loved him and Dutch together too, they really did help balance each other out.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #505
THUNDERSTRIKE
FOUND THOSE BIG 'UNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
From IMDB:

In the Sons Of Anarchy season 1 dvd commentary, creator Kurt Sutter (Who was a writer on the Shield and who also played Margos Dezerian) stated that his original pitch for Dutch in the final episode of The Shield series would have Dutch come home after long day's work, go down into his basement to reveal a bunch of dead bodies or a torture room or something along those lines. Showing Dutch to be a serial killer. While this idea was quickly scrapped by Shawn Ryan, therefore is not canon; it shows that there was something odd about Dutch that even some of the writers on the show wanted to elaborate on.

I'm glad Shawn Ryan scrapped the idea. As odd as Dutch was from time to time, at the heart of it all the character was a noble guy.

that would have tripped the **** out of me if that went thru...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zenhnc Dee'Ya, the unstable B***hQueen, and
El-Yha, her kiss-ass and Sleez, her ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

T-YA'LYZ
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #506
Maximus One
Oddball

It would've ruined his character but yea it totally would've been like the biggest WTF moment ever

Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #507
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Yea I would've never wanted anything like that with Dutch. I mean, it would've been too obvious and IMO totally diminished his character. I honestly still can't believe him and Danni never actually hooked up.

Another character I can't help but to love was Billings. He was so great, a douche bag no doubt but he was actually a good detective and a good guy. I loved him and Dutch together too, they really did help balance each other out.
I despised Billings for the most part, but he was truly something when it came to cases involving kids. The guy was selfish and petty, but if a case involved children he always seemed to pull his britches up and go full power, it was damn cool.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #508
THUNDERSTRIKE
FOUND THOSE BIG 'UNS

god, I've missed talking about the show like this...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

T-YA'LYZ
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #509
James
Built from Lego

I could be wrong, and perhaps even a little biased because The Shield is my favorite TV series ever, but I feel like it's kind of underrated. No doubt there are plenty of people who love the show and recognize it for it's brilliance, not to the degree it deserves though. With the shooting of Crowley kicking it off and characters who the audience egged on and supported despite being truly awful people, The Shield helped in a big way to kick off the way a lot of modern day dramas are written.

The Shield also really stands out from the other shows of its time because didn't suffer from the Writer's Strike. The writers on the show joined their counterparts and went on strike, but Michael Chiklis and others who weren't writers by trade picked up the reins. While other shows were delayed or just falling apart story wise, The Shield continued to rip along without losing it's quality.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #510
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

i have to say that the Shield had hands down one of the best end scenes of any tv finale.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #511
Maximus One
Oddball

I agree James. This show is vastly underrated. I've told friends I was watching it before and they've laughed and made jokes like "Oh do you like Law and Order too?" and stuff like that and I'm just like these people just have no damn clue

Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #512
THUNDERSTRIKE
FOUND THOSE BIG 'UNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
i have to say that the Shield had hands down one of the best end scenes of any tv finale.
I remember back then seeing Vic sitting at his desk in total silence and then pulling out his weapon and staring at it and thinking to myself "oh hell, Vic's not going to blow his brains out, is he?"...

it was just a very intense moment not knowing if Vic was going to do it or not...

Seer.

T-YA'LYZ
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #513
Maximus One
Oddball

This show was just tension from beginning to end. Breaking Bad even has it's slower, softer moments but this was just tense through and through

Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #514
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I think when I' am done with The Sopranos, The Shield is going to be the next show I'll get into.

Last edited by nite-owl; 03-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
nite-owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #515
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

This is a show that hooked me with the first episode, because that last scene of the first episode (remember Terry? you know what I'm talking about) shocked the crap out of me. It was 2002 and I had never seen a show make the main character seem so instantly terrible and messed up and unlikeable, and yet still somehow you rooted for him. Not even Tony Soprano seemed that cold and calculating. Maybe now things would be different. Before Vic, we had Tony Soprano and that was it really. Now we have Walter White, Nucky Thompson, Dexter and a whole slew of really bad protagonists you still somehow root for. But The Shield, along with Sopranos and a couple other early cable shows, really pioneered the notion that a TV audience could get behind a main character who was a terrible human being.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #516
Maximus One
Oddball

Agreed wholeheartedly. Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me to a lesser degree were right there too although their characters were never as reprehensible as the ones you mentioned, more flawed but still goes with the "pushing the envelope" that all those shows sat out to do

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #517
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Even network TV is getting in on it now with 'Homeland', 'The Americans' and even earlier Locke and Ben in 'Lost.'

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #518
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I despised Billings for the most part, but he was truly something when it came to cases involving kids. The guy was selfish and petty, but if a case involved children he always seemed to pull his britches up and go full power, it was damn cool.

After the stunt he pulled with Dutch, Tina and Hiatt I could never really despise Billings. The look on Hiatts face when he saw Dutch was friggin priceless!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #519
Maximus One
Oddball

That's the one thing I disliked him for. That was just soooo wrong. I felt so damn bad for Dutch

Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #520
kit1982
Side-Kick

It was the ultimate douche move, but a damn good one. I can't put my finger on why, but Vic's hazing of Dutch always hit me harder than anything Billings did.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #521
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Even network TV is getting in on it now with 'Homeland', 'The Americans' and even earlier Locke and Ben in 'Lost.'
The first 2 you mentioned are cable/satellite shows that can get away with more than any national network (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox being the 4 networks) ever could; only Lost was on major national network TV.

Last edited by Webfoot Hero; 03-21-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #522
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

I really got into the series after it started its syndication run and was shown late at night. I got hooked after the pilot episode and kept watching it through its remaining seasons. I got hooked again once I was able to pick up the entire series at Best Buy since every single season was on sale for $20 (now you can pick up every season for under $10.) I haven't watched it in a couple years but I may do watch it again after reading this thread.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #523
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
This is a show that hooked me with the first episode, because that last scene of the first episode (remember Terry? you know what I'm talking about) shocked the crap out of me. It was 2002 and I had never seen a show make the main character seem so instantly terrible and messed up and unlikeable, and yet still somehow you rooted for him. Not even Tony Soprano seemed that cold and calculating. Maybe now things would be different. Before Vic, we had Tony Soprano and that was it really. Now we have Walter White, Nucky Thompson, Dexter and a whole slew of really bad protagonists you still somehow root for. But The Shield, along with Sopranos and a couple other early cable shows, really pioneered the notion that a TV audience could get behind a main character who was a terrible human being.
Even Tony Soprano was different in that the audience expected him to be unlikeable. From the get go he was a bad guy, before you sat down and watched The Sopranos, you knew you were watching a show about criminals. Same with Dexter, Nucky, even Walter. The mind blowing thing with Vic was his being a cop, we'd all seen cop shows before and very rarely did they do anything against the rules. We basically "knew" what to expect...and then wham! Vic Mackey just broke all the rules of television.

Last edited by James; 03-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #524
Maximus One
Oddball

Yea, this show literally started off with a bang. You couldn't believe what had just happened because no show had ever gone there so quick before. That's why I said it was tension from beginning to end

Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #525
Project862006
Banned User

didn't know there was a thread for my all time favorite tv show ever

this is one of the few shows that got better with each season and had one of if not the best series finales

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote