The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: What announcement would you love?
Article/interview confirming the shared universe with F4 with deeper info about it 13 39.39%
'X-Men 4' aka New Sequel set in present time with full Original Cast back 14 42.42%
New Trilogy set in present time (X4, X5 & X6) 9 27.27%
'First Class' third movie & release date 9 27.27%
New X-Men spin-off 9 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #101
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Default Re: 20th Century Fox upcoming Big Announcement

If DoFP grosses 8-900 million and Singer wants to do an Apocalypse story, I would do two films back to back and tackle that story, as he would have structured X3 and X4 with the The Phoenix. I agree I don't think you can do that story with a younger take of these characters. It just won't work putting new up and coming actors against something like that. Unfortunately, I think that means the end of the FC cast, and I doubt Fox could bring them back to reprise their roles in the future if they are cast off to the side in favor of X-4/5. I say Sinister and Apocalypse can wait.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #102
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

800 and 900 million seems like a big challenge for FOX. But if Life of Pi managed to gross $600 million worldwide, DOFP should too!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #103
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Great points by all, although I may not agree with them all.

Am I the only one who feels that if Bryan Singer & Co. go into Apocalypse territory that it simply won't match the tone and feel of his first two "realism" films? See, that's my issue with this. The MCU is already operating in the world of "power cosmic". FOX's comic world is NOT--it is ball-and-chained by the lack of true comic book fantasy elements. Sure, they're here and there but it's just not...hitting it right. Even X3--which was arguably the most action oriented X-film--chickened out on stuff...like Jean's incredibly tepid, lame-ass "rise" from Alkali Lake.

Now, I don't blame Bryan for taking his more "cautious" approach back in 1999--that was absolutely essential for FOX to take the bait and if it weren't for that we wouldn't have what we have now. But that being said, now the other franchises are like FULL ON Comic-Book-Pages-Come-To-Life (even Green Lantern went there for Christ's sake) and X-Men is still being held back.

I don't care if X-Men goes back to MCU/Disney or stays with FOX. FOX is not letting them go anyway. But I think we'd be silly not to believe that FOX hasn't sat up and taken notice of a genre that has passed them by. They may have a number of franchises, but they are no longer game changers or in the lead. They are picking up the rear now behind...well, everyone else. Even DC has a jump on them with Man Of Steel.

They've got to be wanting a piece of the action and it's just too big of a jump to leap from their safe and conservative interpretations to FULL ON CBM wow-factors.

The only way this can be accomplished is to start over again.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #104
Lightning Strykez!

I just imagine an X-Men film where Scott is truly THE MAN of X-Men mansion. A film Storm is something to be feared. Where Logan is not the tallest guy in the world, but one you'd think 3x about effing with. A film where Rogue is sassy, sexy, giving lip and taking prisoners. In other words, ALL THE DAMN THINGS WE"VE BEEN ASKING FOR FROM THESE FILMS FOR NEARLY FIFTEEN DAMN YEARS.

Some of you keep holding out hope for the "star power" of Jackman, Berry, McKellan, etc. but guess what: there are other big stars out there who can accomplish the same thing more accurately. We don't necessarily need big names to carry iconic storylines from characters like the X-Men. What we need are accurate portrayals, strong stories, strong, bankable effects and inspired casting choices--be it big celebrities or up-and-comers (or a mixture of both).

Let's keep it 100% real: FOX's current formula is only working for one mutant--Wolverine. Am I the only one who sees this? If so, why the heck are some of you defending this studio's past mistakes if there is a possibility they might make a better change for the future?

We whine and complain about "my character sucks", "I hate what they're doing," etc., but yet the thought of change just freaks some of you guys out. I just don't get it.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 03-21-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #105
Angamb
Banned User

they can do huge things with original cast, Lighting.

As many fans have said, there are still many stories to tell, so Fox can easily tell at least one more huge storyline until rebooting.

I think we all get your points, but there's no need to rush the reboot. Let them do another huge movie after DOFP, and around 2020 or so Fox can move to another version of the x-men, if want it.

but again, they can do great things with the cast they have yet. So, lets be optimistic!

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #106
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
they can do huge things with original cast, Lighting.

As many fans have said, there are still many stories to tell, so Fox can easily tell at least one more huge storyline until rebooting.

I think we all get your points, but there's no need to rush the reboot. Let them do another huge movie after DOFP, and around 2020 or so Fox can move to another version of the x-men, if want it.

but again, they can do great things with the cast they have yet. So, lets be optimistic!
I am being optimistic. Yes, there are great stories yet to be told. And that's why I'm a proponent for no longer wasting opportunities to tell them.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #107
Lightning Strykez!

Sometimes I wish Avengers had never come out. Because it showed how great CBMs can truly be when you have a director who knows what he's doing, loves the source material and has a studio who 100% supports him. Avengers truly spoiled me...it showed me that it is possible to get that "team work" dynamic while taking on (in that case, intergalactic) comic book foes on the silver screen in a stylish, tough and humorous way. I want this for my beloved X-Men.

And no, I'm not interesting in waiting until 2020 to see it. I might be dead by then, dammit.

And I seriously doubt FOX is going to wait that long to start really cashing in on this phenomenon. We will see a change waaaaaaay before then. In some regards, it's a shame that Days Of Future Past is officially tying First Class with the Original Trilogy. Storm, Jean, Scott, etc. weren't in First Class and JP, Danoyse and others will tell you that I was highly annoyed with that character line up, but eventually I was okay with that thinking that so-called "reboot" would reimagine FOX's universe completely. A fresh start that, as the timeline went on, would eventually merge FOX's new X-Men with MCU/Disney's world.

Not...so.

Any chance for a REAL reboot died with that decision. I am thankful that we're getting the classic actors back again, but along with them come the same classic problems...and dead people.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 03-20-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #108
Angamb
Banned User

I feel u, believe me.

And about the 2020 reboot... I have confidence that most of us will be alive around that time, lol, so we'll be here posting about all the new actors and how badass they are and most of them much better than this original cast. So have faith, we'll be alive!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #109
Lightning Strykez!

*throws it*

I'm done.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #110
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I just dont see a re-boot happening when we are going to get 2 X-Men related movies in the next 18 months, Millar said this announcement is coming in the next few months, to say DOFP would be the last movie before a re-boot woulde be business suicide by Fox IMO, I just dont see them doing it.

I dont doubt a re-boot will be done somewere down the line, but it wont be this soon in my eyes. The original cast can still do plenty, hell as people have pointed out RDJ and SLJ are older than many of the original cast of the X-Men movies and they are still going very strong. Both will be in a few more Marvel movies yet as well.

So a few more movies from the original cast is far from out of the question, I just hope it doesnt mean the end of the FC cast, as I want at least one more movie with them in before we see that end.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #111
Angamb
Banned User

me too.

And I dont see that big of a problem to keep the third movie to release it some years after DOFP. with a movie set in present time between them.

As long as Fox ends doing a decent press release sooner than later about their big plan for future years, and the audience gets familiar with it, it will be fine.

Its not like trilogies only have to be done with a three years gap and back to back, without any other movie between them, even if they are from the same universe.

Its up to the marketing team to promote each movie, and Fox or any studio can do a pretty decent job with any proyect. so no problem to delay the third FC movie for 2018 or so.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #112
JP
Smelly

I see your points about the tone, LS!, but don't you think that was changed a bit when they decided to make First Class the closest film yet to the comics in terms of tone? Magneto's helmet, characters that ACTUALLY fly through the air. Comic accurate costumes and the like.

And surely that was all minor stuff, but it did help bring out what this series is capable of. And now we have a film with time travel and giant robots... (lets also remember that Bryan gave us a gorgeous FIRE Phoenix, albeit briefly, in X2).

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #113
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

Oh yes...the Fire Phoenix. I thought it was so sexy...um. Made Jean so much hotter. *jokes* heh. I want atleast another trilogy with the original cast and then in the next 10-fifteen years, I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot.

And Quill... Your ship is filthy. - Gamora
She has no idea. If I had a blacklight, this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting. - Peter Quill
DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #114
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, Fox with Singer included, clearly realized many things with FC, or before FC.

It was their big step in the right direction. And as you say, the sequel not only brings the core x-men, but time travel and the fu**** Sentinels! lol

so if they bring comic costumes for the future characters too, more some humour Singer has recently say, well, we are here for a big winner, mon amis.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #115
JP
Smelly

I guess a lot of us are seeing the changes that have been going on over the last few years with this series, with Singer, and with Fox.

I see the Fox that gave us Avatar, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, First Class, Prometheus, and Life of Pi.

LS!, understandably, still sees the Fox that gave us X3 and Fantastic Four. Which I get. They've earned distrust from all of us.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #116
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I see your points about the tone, LS!, but don't you think that was changed a bit when they decided to make First Class the closest film yet to the comics in terms of tone? Magneto's helmet, characters that ACTUALLY fly through the air. Comic accurate costumes and the like.
Yes! I really was.

And as I said, although I was annoyed with the fact that most of the classic X-Men were not included in FC, I was happy that it seemed that the series was being rebooted. Maybe it's just me, but...I was pretty positive at one point it was supposed to be a reboot.

But instead, it's not. It's being tied to the OT and that just effs things up all over again in my opinion. Take Storm for example: Halle's Storm is more timid, meek and skurred under Bryan's direction. I don't want to see the same thing as a teenaged Storm in Bryan's films. I want the one that was worshipped as a Goddess by African tribes. Cyclops is my No. 1 favorite X-Male. And yet, I have barely seen him on screen. So many opportunities lost and wasted. I don't see how it can be captured with this current series. Sure, you could expand the series to focus on other mutants and ingore the classic characters but it won't interest me any more than First Class' B and C-list character line-up did.

And don't get me started on the continuity issues.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #117
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Well said, LS.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #118
NJCaliboi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
I just imagine an X-Men film where Scott is truly THE MAN of X-Men mansion. A film Storm is something to be feared. Where Logan is not the tallest guy in the world, but one you'd think 3x about effing with. A film where Rogue is sassy, sexy, giving lip and taking prisoners. In other words, ALL THE DAMN THINGS WE"VE BEEN ASKING FOR FROM THESE FILMS FOR NEARLY FIFTEEN DAMN YEARS.

Some of you keep holding out hope for the "star power" of Jackman, Berry, McKellan, etc. but guess what: there are other big stars out there who can accomplish the same thing more accurately. We don't necessarily need big names to carry iconic storylines from characters like the X-Men. What we need are accurate portrayals, strong stories, strong, bankable effects and inspired casting choices--be it big celebrities or up-and-comers (or a mixture of both).

Let's keep it 100% real: FOX's current formula is only working for one mutant--Wolverine. Am I the only one who doesn't see this? If so, why the heck are some of you defending this studio's past mistakes if there is a possibility they might make a better change for the future?

We whine and complain about "my character sucks", "I hate what they're doing," etc., but yet the thought of change just freaks some of you guys out. I just don't get it.
I think u make a lot of valid points. And considering my three favorite x-men characters have all gotten the shaft (Storm, Gambit, and Emma Frost), i guess it is amazing that I'm still hopeful and excited about this latest project. Even though I feel my favorites have either been depowered, made weak, or reduced to irrelevant status- I still have to concede that it's not all bad. Cyclops fans may have drawn the short stick in so many ways but they can at least be happy their favorite character was expertly cast. Same goes for Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Beast, Kitty, Charles, Mystique, and Magneto they were all brilliantly casted. Singer and Company have had a lot of missteps along the way, but all in all I think the franchise has been solid as a whole.

I'm not 100% ready to say goodbye to this cast, I've grown comfortable w.them and believe there is still hope and if written with care and attention that all my concerns could be addressed and rectified. At the same time I know I would adapt and be fine with a brand new cast. If DOFP is really going to be as epic as they claim it might be great way to bid adieu to the old cast and hello to a new cast. I think that the people who want this cast for more stories believe that since there's already an attachment and familiarity with them that changing up thing carries with it a risk at the box office. Also depending on the stories u want to tell there could be advantages using the geriatric cast.

NJCaliboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #119
Lightning Strykez!

Geriatric cast.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #120
JP
Smelly

Sam Jackson is 64. Time to reboot.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #121
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Nope.

That doesn't even make sense. To try to do something new from what we've already been getting for a decade...is unoriginal???

Also, when you say nothing imaginative about Fox copying the books...so you would be ok if they had an X-men team with entirely made up characters, made just for the movie?

Wanting the same cast(some of them aren't getting too old, but are in fact already too old for their roles)that we've had for more than a decade has gotten stale. It's incredibly boring and unimaginitive that the fans think no one else could or should play these characters. Fanboys need to open their eyes and not fear change.
Yeah, I'm probably just arguing for the sake of arguing. Do I think an X-Men reboot will be different? Undoubtedly. Do I think the idea of another comic book property reboot and the retreading of character origins, relationships, etc. is original or imaginative? No, not really. I think, however, an X-Men reboot, unlike others (The Amazing Spider-Man and the inevitable Batman reboot), will have an easier time differentiating itself from its predecessors, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Why does everyone keep talking about a reboot? We already had First Class which featured none of the old actors (with the exception of cameos), and we have another movie with the new ones coming. So what's the problem with carrying them over to a third film?
I think there are very legitimate reasons why we may see a reboot sooner rather than later, and I'm up for discussion about a reboot, but I don't understand the recent complaints, to be honest. You would think Days of Future Past has been nothing but bad news, when that couldn't be further from the truth. Of course, maybe that's it. Perhaps people think Days of Future Past will be successful, further delaying a reboot. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
I love your avatar by the way.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I keep forgetting that DOFP isn't two movies. Yet.

Agreed on all points. I think it absolutely will and should be rebooted at some point, but it would be a really dumb business decision to announce that when they have DOFP about to start shooting and The Wolverine coming out this summer.

Last edited by BMM; 03-21-2013 at 05:34 AM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #122
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I actually voted for a 3rd First Class film. I love the cast, and I'd love more comic-book based stories.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #123
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I feel u, believe me.

And about the 2020 reboot... I have confidence that most of us will be alive around that time, lol, so we'll be here posting about all the new actors and how badass they are and most of them much better than this original cast. So have faith, we'll be alive!
2020 is just 6 years away from DOFP's release date. And I'm pretty sure if DOFP ends up a big success, FOX would release at least 2 more films. A reboot in 2020 ain't happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post

Let's keep it 100% real: FOX's current formula is only working for one mutant--Wolverine. Am I the only one who sees this? If so, why the heck are some of you defending this studio's past mistakes if there is a possibility they might make a better change for the future?

I get what you are saying, but a reboot could take a long time and it takes quite a long time to release three movies, I don't think I want to wait for that again, well not this time. This year, FOX is going to release their 6th X-Men movie and next year their 7th. I say, let FOX keep releasing movies as long as the movies still get favorite reviews from critics and as long as none of the movies completely bombed at the box-office.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 03-21-2013 at 04:22 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #124
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I think there are very legitimate reasons why we may see a reboot sooner rather than later, and I'm up for discussion about a reboot, but I don't understand the recent complaints, to be honest. You would think Days of Future Past has been nothing but bad news, when that couldn't be further from the truth. Of course, maybe that's it. Perhaps people think Days of Future Past will be successful, further delaying a reboot. Who knows?
Yeah, nothing really to be disappointed about yet. Maybe concerns, but I think after the hype of the announcement wound down the faults of the franchise have had time to come back into play. Alot of fans who weren't happy with a number of things just want something new and more accurate without Singer. He may have not been responsible for some of the terrible choices, but everything has revolved around his X world for awhile and another decade of that may not look that good to alot of people.

Post X2 Singer hasn't exactly had the best film career, and since he now has this franchise fully in his grip more then ever, I don't think there is any way he will let it go unless this thing is a huge flop. So it's either more OT or FC for a fairly long time imo.

I'd be cool with either a reboot or more of these films, as long as DOFP is good and they stop wasting characters. Hopefully this film makes a clear path for future films cause that's really what they need.

Last edited by def28; 03-21-2013 at 05:41 PM.
def28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #125
bullets
bang bang

I'm surprised anyone would expect a reboot. They brought back most of the original cast and Singer. Also Jackman is the star of his own spinoff franchise. I know people want a reboot , but its kinda obvious they are going to do more films with the original cast and expand on the universe that's already been created. The only thing different might be the timeline.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote