The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #176
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,455
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoker View Post
Matters, how old are you?

If you are 16-17 or younger, nah. Still young, still discovering older films.

If your 18 or older and don't know who he is, then yeah, its pretty bad.
I'm 22, but not a huge fan of watching old movies, they usually don't keep me interested haha. I'll have to give some of those many suggestions people said a watch though. I guess seeing as he hasn't done anything that I've seen in the last 2 decades I'm not really surprised I don't know him. He seems like an actor my dad probably loved.

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #177
kedrell
Band user
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,392
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Yeah he really hasn't done a whole lot since the turn of the century, at least insofar as being in front of the camera.

__________________
Insert witty comment here______________.
kedrell is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #178
Supermanreturns
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 317
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Robert Redford as an older member of secret government agency SHIELD?

Maybe...

Colonel Rick Stoner?

In the comics, Stoner is the first known executive director, before Fury.



These are my two cents.

Supermanreturns is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #179
samsnee
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,064
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

If this happens, it would be the biggest "get" for a comic book movie ever. I can't remember the last time Redford did a big budget movie.

samsnee is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #180
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,631
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
If this happens, it would be the biggest "get" for a comic book movie ever. I can't remember the last time Redford did a big budget movie.
Well maybe other than Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson, although it's arguable that Redford is bigger than Nicholson.

The only other living actors on Redford's level I can think of are Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery. I suppose there's also De Niro (but he shows up in everything), Pacino and Dustin Hoffman. I think the fact that De Niro and Hoffman were in Meet the Fockers kind of makes them a bit more common place.

Redford probably wouldn't have his name attached to any old movie unless he were really confident in it and it had a certain calibre.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #181
samsnee
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,064
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Redford is older and seems more experienced than William Sadler though. If he were the VP, one would wonder why he is in that role in the first place and not POTUS.

Now wouldn't it be cool if somehow Redford encountered the Mandarin and they were old foes, and then Redford assembles a team to steal some codebreaking device from one of Mandarin's safe houses?
That was one of my favorite movies.

samsnee is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #182
samsnee
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,064
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well maybe other than Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson, although it's arguable that Redford is bigger than Nicholson.

The only other living actors on Redford's level I can think of are Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery. I suppose there's also De Niro (but he shows up in everything), Pacino and Dustin Hoffman. I think the fact that De Niro and Hoffman were in Meet the Fockers kind of makes them a bit more common place.

Redford probably wouldn't have his name attached to any old movie unless he were really confident in it and it had a certain calibre.
I'll agree with Nicholson but it was common knowledge Brando did everything for a paycheck at that point. Deniro has done a lot more mainstream stuff

samsnee is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #183
kedrell
Band user
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,392
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well maybe other than Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson, although it's arguable that Redford is bigger than Nicholson.

The only other living actors on Redford's level I can think of are Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery. I suppose there's also De Niro (but he shows up in everything), Pacino and Dustin Hoffman. I think the fact that De Niro and Hoffman were in Meet the Fockers kind of makes them a bit more common place.

Redford probably wouldn't have his name attached to any old movie unless he were really confident in it and it had a certain calibre.

Well Lions For Lambs got pretty well trounced by critics and flopped at the box office as I recall.

__________________
Insert witty comment here______________.
kedrell is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #184
kedrell
Band user
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,392
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I'll agree with Nicholson but it was common knowledge Brando did everything for a paycheck at that point. Deniro has done a lot more mainstream stuff
Yeah, Brando's later career pretty much takes the air out of how special that casting coup was back in 1978. They probably could've easily had him in all 4 Supes films so long as they were willing to meet his price.

__________________
Insert witty comment here______________.
kedrell is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #185
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I'm 22, but not a huge fan of watching old movies, they usually don't keep me interested haha. I'll have to give some of those many suggestions people said a watch though. I guess seeing as he hasn't done anything that I've seen in the last 2 decades I'm not really surprised I don't know him. He seems like an actor my dad probably loved.
Start with Butch Cassidy. Seriously.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #186
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,631
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

I think most buddy movies are modelled on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's a classic western and the ending has been homaged or spoofed dozens of times over.

BTW shouldn't William Sadler be in this movie if he survives IM3, especially if this is a political thriller? They need a consistent POTUS and not one who gets elected for each Marvel movie. It's not like these movies span every four years. Some are taking place concurrently so there's no time for dozens of elections and always introducing the new President.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #187
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick
 
Webfoot Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,954
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I think most buddy movies are modelled on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's a classic western and the ending has been homaged or spoofed dozens of times over.

BTW shouldn't William Sadler be in this movie if he survives IM3, especially if this is a political thriller? They need a consistent POTUS and not one who gets elected for each Marvel movie. It's not like these movies span every four years. Some are taking place concurrently so there's no time for dozens of elections and always introducing the new President.
I guess it all depends on when CA: TWS takes place, with regard to IM3. Supposedly, Sadler as POTUS gets killed in IM3 by The Mandarin's Extremis henchmen. After the attack, his VP takes over the office.

Webfoot Hero is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #188
Ant-manic
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,019
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

if i were to guess, i'd say that Redford is playing Reb Ralston. in the books, he's the guy that basically appoints Daisy Johnson to the role of SHIELD Director. he's also a former howling commando; explaining the link to Cap.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...616%29_002.jpg

Ant-manic is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #189
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,631
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Well he certainly looks similar. But why not change his name to Reb Brown?

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #190
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,631
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

If Redford were to join the cast, how do you think he'll be billed in the credits? You can't just stick him somewhere in the middle. Will he get the "and" credit which is normally reserved for Samuel L Jackson? Can you really put SLJ after Redford or would it be:

With Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury
And Robert Redford

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #191
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 71,127
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Redford tops SLJ, as much as I may love the latter. It'll be...

With SLJ
And Redford

Sawyer is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #192
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,502
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that Robert ****ing Redford might be in Cap 2. This is enormous.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #193
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Given that THR describes his character as an older member of SHIELD whose role will be similar to Ralph Fiennes' character in Skyfall, I'm assuming that he's closer to the government than Fury is and they sent him to basically watch over Fury after what happened in the Avengers.

That said...he could always be Nick Fury Sr.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #194
Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,123
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well Lions For Lambs got pretty well trounced by critics and flopped at the box office as I recall.
Because anyone that pays attention to politics labels Redford as a severe left wing nutball. This isn't 20 years ago, Redford's name carries huge baggage now.

This is an AWFUL idea any way you cut it. A Captain America film of all things should not cast politically charged actors of this degree. Severe left wing or severe right wing, Cap and Marvel should avoid it at all cost. If this casting does happen , it WILL hurt box office to some degree, trust me.

Marvel is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #195
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,502
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

I really dig the idea that Redford was a spy of some kind who chased the Winter Soldier, or came into conflict with Lukin or Zemo or whoever during the Cold War. That's pretty badass.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #196
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,754
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Because anyone that pays attention to politics labels Redford as a severe left wing nutball. This isn't 20 years ago, Redford's name carries huge baggage now.

This is an AWFUL idea any way you cut it. A Captain America film of all things should not cast politically charged actors of this degree. Severe left wing or severe right wing, Cap and Marvel should avoid it at all cost. If this casting does happen , it WILL hurt box office to some degree, trust me.
Captain America is already a politically risky property, I don't think adding Redford would do much.

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #197
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,502
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
Because anyone that pays attention to politics labels Redford as a severe left wing nutball. This isn't 20 years ago, Redford's name carries huge baggage now.

This is an AWFUL idea any way you cut it. A Captain America film of all things should not cast politically charged actors of this degree. Severe left wing or severe right wing, Cap and Marvel should avoid it at all cost. If this casting does happen , it WILL hurt box office to some degree, trust me.
There we go. I felt we were short of overblown hyperbole, and as usual the 'net did not fail to deliver.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #198
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

The more I hear about TWS the more I'm looking forward to it. It was probably the film in phase 2 that I was least looking forward to (even though the first Cap was on of my favorites from phase 1) but now it's up there with IM3 in terms anticipation.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #199
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick
 
Webfoot Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,954
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Captain America is already a politically risky property, I don't think adding Redford would do much.
Captain America is not really politically risky since they haven't had him really swayed one way or another. Marvel probably realizes they can't risk alienating one view because people of all political persuasions are potential moviegoers and there's no need to cut that potential BO in half. That's the problem a lot of movies have since they have the director, stars, and/or the studio pushing it to one side of the political spectrum and cutting off more money from the other side. Will there be some people who won't see it because of Redford's history and beliefs? Of course there will, but there will still be plenty who'll see it as long it's not pushing one political view over another or because they're big CA/comic book movie fans.

Webfoot Hero is offline  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #200
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,244
Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I really dig the idea that Redford was a spy of some kind who chased the Winter Soldier, or came into conflict with Lukin or Zemo or whoever during the Cold War. That's pretty badass.

Now I have the image of Redford and SLJ standing side-by-side, guns a-blazin' at HYDRA Nazi-lite scum stuck in my head.



xeno000 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.