The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalize pot?
Yes 177 74.37%
No 48 20.17%
I don't know 13 5.46%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #651
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Default Re: Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

and that doesn't even cover the hundreds of medicinal uses that would threaten the pharmaceutical industry's bottom line.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #652
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
So the only people who want to keep it outlawed are the uneducated, and... crooks.
That goes for most things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #653
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
And politicians who are against it to keep low information voters voting for them. Though you could argue that that's being "on the take".

Or you could just call them cowards, and hypocrites.

Or, in the event of the last three presidents (all of who freely admit they used marijuana), Mr. President.
With polls suggesting 55-58% of the American public support cannabis legalization and 65% support medical marijuana being allowed, many politicians are switching sides.

Prohibition is on borrowed time.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #654
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

"PRODUCTS WHICH CAN BE MADE WITH OR FROM CANNABIS (for more details see below)

medicine, fuel, paper, food, rope, maps, clothes, nets, lace, soap, sails, shoes, plastics, explosives, caulking, fiberboard, paint, sealant, methanol, gasoline, fibre for fuel, bricks, charcoal, auto bodies, packing mass, lubricants, oil for lighting, oil for fuel, oil for lights, animal food, furniture, mats, varnish, lotions, ointments, lacquer, salad dressings....

There are an estimated 50,000 commercial uses. Until about 100 years ago almost all the world's bibles maps, sails, clothes and books were made out of cannabis. Much of the world's population has survived by eating hemp seed, cooked into a porridge called 'gruel'."

http://www.ccguide.org/uses.php

God forbid we use a clean and eco friendly plant for our daily uses. Instead lett's continue poison this planet and our bodies with more oil, toxins in our food etc

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #655
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I'd like to see a prohibitionist name at least 5 natural substances more useful than cannabis.

I doubt they can come up with 3.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #656
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Air, water, and Jude Law.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #657
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Three that aren't obvious.

Quote:
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #658
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

In that case I got nothing.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #659
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
I forgot about Jude Law.

Damn you, Jude Law!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #660
Thought Crime
Banned User

Last edited by Thought Crime; 03-31-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #661
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Who are you?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #662
Thought Crime
Banned User

Last edited by Thought Crime; 03-31-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #663
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Pingree co-sponsoring bill to legalize marijuana nationwide

Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #664
OutRiddled
Banned User

Quote:
If it's being "legalised" why do they have to draft a bill on it?

I call ********.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #665
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
If it's being "legalised" why do they have to draft a bill on it?

I call ********.

To get the Senate and House to vote on it? The President has said no to Weed being decrimazlied...guessing same with it being legal. Funny....he smoked it in the past....and said he would change the law on it in 2004.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #666
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
To get the Senate and House to vote on it? The President has said no to Weed being decrimazlied...guessing same with it being legal. Funny....he smoked it in the past....and said he would change the law on it in 2004.
He was also pro gay marriage back then before he just was pro civil union when he ran for president, then he had an epiphany again about being pro gay marriage. I always get a good chuckle when they try paint Obama's being pro gay marriage as some big change in attitude for him, I think it was fairly obvious it was what would provide him a political advantage at certain points in time. I am fairly certain is legalizing weed was a winner, Obama would be pro weed again(my guess is Democrats fear the Republicans getting on their case for being easy on crime)

In terms of marijuana, if the Republicans want to jump on a issue that will win over young voters(and even try act all black and latino friendly at the same time), here it is and it fits perfectly into their big government stay out of my business MO.

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #667
snyderrocks
Banned User

pot needs to be decriminalized .

Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #668
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

And to hell with proper capitalization and punctuation!

Politicians are cowards, who will only take a stand on an issue if it benefits them politically. Or of course if they're caught doing whatever it is they claim they're against. But only after they are elected.

And then, there's also the occasional scenario where they find out one of their kids is gay or disabled, and then they'll change their position on that. But that doesn't really apply to drugs.

Smoked pot before coming into office? Didn't go to jail? Great. But everyone else better watch it.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #669
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

I doubt the quote is his, but it did crack me up.

Maybe this is how we finally get to Mars

Quote:
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #670
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I wouldn't be surprised if it was him.

Sagan was a user and advocate of marijuana. Under the pseudonym "Mr. X", he contributed an essay about smoking cannabis to the 1971 book Marijuana Reconsidered. The essay explained that marijuana use had helped to inspire some of Sagan's works and enhance sensual and intellectual experiences. After Sagan's death, his friend Lester Grinspoon disclosed this information to Sagan's biographer, Keay Davidson. The publishing of the biography, Carl Sagan: A Life, in 1999 brought media attention to this aspect of Sagan's life. Not long after his death, widow Ann Druyan had gone on to preside over the board of directors of NORML, a foundation dedicated to reforming cannabis laws.

Here's the essay.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #671
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
And to hell with proper capitalization and punctuation!

Politicians are cowards, who will only take a stand on an issue if it benefits them politically. Or of course if they're caught doing whatever it is they claim they're against. But only after they are elected.

And then, there's also the occasional scenario where they find out one of their kids is gay or disabled, and then they'll change their position on that. But that doesn't really apply to drugs.

Smoked pot before coming into office? Didn't go to jail? Great. But everyone else better watch it.
Eh, Gary Johnson came out for weed in his second term as Republican Governor. Been that way since. You know why...hmmm...ya...know...why?

cause he is cool. That why.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #672
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #673
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
So the only people who want to keep it outlawed are the uneducated, and... crooks.
Not at all. Plenty of us are looking at the bigger picture and realizing that the pro-pot platform isn't taking into consideration ALL of our rights. Like alcohol, pot is an intoxicant, which means there are inherent risks to the safety of other people. Now look at the laws applicable to offenses involving inebriation in this country. They are absolutely PITIFUL. Now we are going to allow easier access to another substance that impairs higher cognitive function and think there will no adverse effects on society as a whole?

Pot users want their rights. Those of us who want to live lives free of the effects of recreational drugs, including alcohol, want our rights, too. We look at the limp-wristed way our society punishes criminals under the influence of alcohol and we are understandably concerned about legal pot.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #674
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Predator View Post
Not at all. Plenty of us are looking at the bigger picture and realizing that the pro-pot platform isn't taking into consideration ALL of our rights. Like alcohol, pot is an intoxicant, which means there are inherent risks to the safety of other people. Now look at the laws applicable to offenses involving inebriation in this country. They are absolutely PITIFUL. Now we are going to allow easier access to another substance that impairs higher cognitive function and think there will no adverse effects on society as a whole?

Pot users want their rights. Those of us who want to live lives free of the effects of recreational drugs, including alcohol, want our rights, too. We look at the limp-wristed way our society punishes criminals under the influence of alcohol and we are understandably concerned about legal pot.
Cannabis is no where as dangerous as alcohol, driving or not.

Cell phones are also far more dangerous than cannabis due to texting and talking but we don't consider arresting every American who owns a cell phone.

Cannabis doesn't only serve as an ”intoxicant”. It's arguable more useful than cell phones because you can use hemp to support thousands of industries and it also has hundreds of medicinal uses.

and here's the kicker, anti-cannabis laws don't work. The cost of the drug war have increased exponentially along with drug use. Countries like Portugal and the Netherlands actually experienced a decrease in drug use when they unofficially legalized cannabis or all drugs.

Prohibition doesn't decrease drug use, it just derails lives by pointlessly tainting their record or taking children from their parents, wasting billions in potential tax revenue, wasting industrial opportunities, forcing those who could use it medically to suffer, empowering gangs/cartels with a healthy revenue, pushing people to deal with criminal drug pushers simply for access to a plant that is far safer than alcohol and many prescription drugs, and empowers an invasive police state to prevent grown adults from getting the munchies.

Your baseless assumption that:

1) Stoned driving is anywhere nearly as dangerous as alcohol or texting

2) Is considerably discouraged by prohibition

are not only unfounded but are ultimately encouraging laws that are far more destructive and counter-productive than stoned driving ever could be.

Lastly, legalization doesn't mean stoned driving will be allowed. It will be illegal and strictly punished identically if not more than it is now.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 04-06-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #675
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Lastly, legalization doesn't mean stoned driving will be allowed. It will be illegal and strictly punished identically if not more than it is now.
Let's not forget if they are stoned, they will more likely be at home in front of the TV watching Spongebob Squarepants, then out driving or getting in fights with people

Closed Thread