Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #676
jignat
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Wow I didn't know that!

The tongue attack and the spit attack were actually cool!
Actually the slime powers(from the hands) was in the comics in early 1990's X-force issues.
And Toad lead his own brotherhood around that time too.

X1 s changes were basically the elongated prehensile tongue and the greenish complexion.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #677
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Hmm, I thought Toad also had the tongue in Ultimate X-Men... Or does that change come directly from the movie version?

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #678
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Ultimate X-Men first came out in February 2001.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #679
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

UMX had a lot of influence from the movies. And it was intentional.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #680
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

I know, but that alone doesn't mean they got it directly from Singer's Toad. Although I guess this is the case indeed. I never knew he didn't have it in the comics before.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #681
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignat View Post
Actually the slime powers(from the hands) was in the comics in early 1990's X-force issues.
And Toad lead his own brotherhood around that time too.

X1 s changes were basically the elongated prehensile tongue and the greenish complexion.
Liefeld did something... cool for once?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #682
roach
I am the night

actually his early work was pretty cool

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 03-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #683
JP
Smelly

I wonder if Bryan is going to call his friend Harry Knowles again right before this starts filming just like he did with First Class? I remember this being one of my favorite parts throughout following the entire First Class journey.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46217

Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #684
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

That photo at the ice cream place that Singer just posted on Twitter a few minutes is about 15 minutes from me.

Not relevant to the movie at all, but kinda cool finding out that we're apparently neighbors.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #685
JP
Smelly

Haha, that's neat!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #686
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Haha, that's neat!
And I love that ice cream place! Went there every Saturday when I was a kid.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #687
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wonder if Bryan is going to call his friend Harry Knowles again right before this starts filming just like he did with First Class? I remember this being one of my favorite parts throughout following the entire First Class journey.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but with the film taking place in 1963 and Xavier and Magneto "going to be in their late twenties" in that FC post from AICN from a conversation with Singer, does that actually confirm that the original trilogy or at the very least that first X-men movie, at the most took place in 1992? 1963 + 29 (late 20's)

Old 03-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #688
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly

Quote:

I hope so.

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #689
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Nope, X1 and onwards is in "the not too distant future" :P

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 03-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #690
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

But that was told from after the camp scene so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #691
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

But ... then in X3?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #692
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Concentration camp scene in X1 sir that was the audiances last point of reference for time so the not to distant future from there could very well be in the ninties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #693
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

At the time the trilogy was made they didn't want to place a specific time on events besides the world war II scene In X-Men.Now with first Class establishing Xavier and
magneto In mid 20's In 1962 It's very likely the trilogy will be retconned as having taken place In mid 1990's.Bryan has said he worked backwords rom the ages of Patrick Stewart
and Ian Mckellen In devolping first Class story.They were In early 60's thus a mid 1990's timeframe Is very likely.

The future In Days of Future past Is most likely an alternate 2000's and by end of film If they go Into the time travel changing thing so Bryan can correct things from Last Stand route we see a world more like the real 2000's If mutants exsisted.If Cyclops,Jean,and Apocalypse show up the end Is probally when that would happen.They need time travel to happen before they deport from Origins/Last Stand.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #694
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Man it'd be such a cop-out if they end up showing that Mutants existing has always been in an alternate reality from our own.

You spend so much time trying to be realistic and make things believable and then pull that stunt it's almost like bad-writing.

I don't have anything inherently against the concept but it just seems lazy because we really don't need to be reminded that they're that different. One of the things I always hated about the Multiverse.

I don't like imagining McAvoy and Fassbender talking about how "and on another Earth in another parallel continuity.... mutants will not have existed at all!"

No. Just no.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #695
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Bryan Singer‏@BryanSinger2h
Reviewing previs on way back to Montreal. #XMen #DaysofFuturePast Got out of NYC before the storm. pic.twitter.com/arpwPprtOS

At least we'll have tons of Wolvie tidbits while we're waiting for filming to start.

Last edited by Mulholland-Jr; 03-25-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #696
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
Man it'd be such a cop-out if they end up showing that Mutants existing has always been in an alternate reality from our own.

You spend so much time trying to be realistic and make things believable and then pull that stunt it's almost like bad-writing.

I don't have anything inherently against the concept but it just seems lazy because we really don't need to be reminded that they're that different. One of the things I always hated about the Multiverse.

I don't like imagining McAvoy and Fassbender talking about how "and on another Earth in another parallel continuity.... mutants will not have existed at all!"

No. Just no.
That's not what people are saying at all. You do seem to get these strange notions.

Different things will happen in the alternate timeline(s) but mutants exist in all versions. How can time travel to 1973 prevent/trigger the existence of mutants? That makes no sense.

For example, DoFP may exist in one reality, perhaps beyond X1, X2 and X3. First Class may exist in another reality. There are mutants in both.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #697
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
That's not what people are saying at all. You do seem to get these strange notions.

Different things will happen in the alternate timeline(s) but mutants exist in all versions. How can time travel to 1973 prevent/trigger the existence of mutants? That makes no sense.

For example, DoFP may exist in one reality, perhaps beyond X1, X2 and X3. First Class may exist in another reality. There are mutants in both.
I was responding to marvelrobbins' post.

Let's just say that the alternate timeline angle has been done to death everywhere, what I love about the DoFP comic is that it simply suggests an alternative future and doesn't go beyond it. It raises a few questions and leaves the rest to the audience to fill in. That's what it's supposed to be like in the movie. The alternate "continuities" should, in my opinion, be such that they may or may not be alternate continuities.

Perhaps DoFP is averted at the end of the movie. Perhaps it isn't. I'm not a big fan of multiple-realities. To the people of FC (who are most likely to carry the franchise after this film since they're the next gen, the fresh blood, the new approach) the DoFP future may or may not happen. They'll go on thinking they've averted the dystopia.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #698
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
I was responding to marvelrobbins' post.

Let's just say that the alternate timeline angle has been done to death everywhere, what I love about the DoFP comic is that it simply suggests an alternative future and doesn't go beyond it. It raises a few questions and leaves the rest to the audience to fill in. That's what it's supposed to be like in the movie. The alternate "continuities" should, in my opinion, be such that they may or may not be alternate continuities.

Perhaps DoFP is averted at the end of the movie. Perhaps it isn't. I'm not a big fan of multiple-realities. To the people of FC (who are most likely to carry the franchise after this film since they're the next gen, the fresh blood, the new approach) the DoFP future may or may not happen. They'll go on thinking they've averted the dystopia.
Not sure how you can say 'it's supposed to be like that in the movie' since they may well opt for another scenario than just hinting at it being an alternate future. I'm sure it will begin as though it's just the one and only future, to create suspense and a sense of real risk/threat, but we may find things change later on in the film.

In the comic, it's obviously an alternative future because of the existence of Rachel Summers, and Scott and Jean never had a child. Rachel wasn't revealed to be a Summers at the time, if i recall correctly, but nonetheless it was clearly intended (and later revealed) to be an alternate timeline by the revelation of her being Scott and Jean's offspring. (Jean was dead in the comics at that point as well).

Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #699
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post

At least we'll have tons of Wolvie tidbits while we're waiting for filming to start.
Yeah, its great that while we are waiting for DOFP, there's the Wolverine to keep us fans busy with this series.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #700
echostation
Banned User

It almost looks like he's trying to figure out what steps to take to make sure he doesn't have another Jack Giant Slayer on his hands... the man's few recent films have just been no good.

I really want this film to work, it has the potential to be absolutely brilliant

Closed Thread