Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #676
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Anybody else following JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

I'm five episodes in right now and I have no idea why I'm so in love with it already. I've always kept the OVA's in the back burner until I finally decided to start watching yesterday and now I'm hooked.

Quote:
Is Psycho-Pass worth watching? I heard many fans got disapointed.
It's definitely worth watching. Incredibly well written show with some good philosophical questions being posed.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #677
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I'm five episodes in right now and I have no idea why I'm so in love with it already. I've always kept the OVA's in the back burner until I finally decided to start watching yesterday and now I'm hooked.
I never watched the OVA's, i'm 2 or 3 episodes behind what's currently happening but i guarantee you that it gets even better with the 2nd arc which starts in episode 10. The animation's not very good but the execution makes up for it.

JoJo's quite old, from the 80s and the manga has gone part vol.100. It was about time it got an anime. Don't expect something as deep as Psycho pass for example, it's not what JoJo's trying to do, just like Toriko it's supposed to be entertaining, crazy, badass and consistent in quality.

Quote:
It's definitely worth watching. Incredibly well written show with some good philosophical questions being posed.
Thank you, Psycho-Pass is with Fate/ Zero in my to watch anime list.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #678
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

Mobile Suit Gundam MS Igloo.

Having not long watched MS Gundam this was great seeing some of the Zeon perspective. The CG animation holds up really well even with it being close to 10 years old.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #679
childeroland
Side-Kick

Shin Sekai Yori. Better than Another.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Old 04-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #680
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

Pokemon

Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #681
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

MS Igloo 2 Gravity Front.

Having finished both now I can say with some certainty that the two MS Igloo series are some of the best mecha I've seen. One of the things i love about the Universal Century Gundams is that it stears away from being Super Robot, but Igloo is the first time I really got the sense that the Mobile Suits were just another weapon of war, and just as fallible.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 AM   #682
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Pokemon
Haven't watched that in ages, is Ash getting any closer to pro league?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #683
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Attack on Titan, episode 1.

This anime had my curiosity. Now it has my attention.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #684
childeroland
Side-Kick

Almost finished Kiddy Grade.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Last edited by childeroland; 04-07-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #685
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanG View Post
SO I finally got around to watching Neon Genesis Evangelion over the last few days, including the End of Evangelion movie. I just have one thing to ask: What the hell?
There is no answer...even with the recent remakes.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #686
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
About a year ago or so, I was looking up some new anime to watch, and I think somewhere or someone online suggested Steins;Gate. So, I thought, "What the heck", and decided to give it a whirl.

Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

I'm on episode 13 of the dub, and it's as fresh as the day I first watched it. It's like a whole new experience.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yeah, I've a had a couple of those. I love when Mayuri tells the story about how she wished for Okabe's fever to go away when he was young. It's so simple, yet effective. It really got to me because I have siblings of my own.

Another is at the end of episode 12, when Mayuri is shot. J. Michael Tatum's performance in the English Dub makes that moment even more heartbreaking. ("What the hell is this???")

I'm sure I'll have some more of those moments again as I continue watching the dub.

I love the English Dub. The scripts maintains the original intent, but does it's own thing with it. You can tell Mr. Tatum had a very fun time writing the script (the Doctor Who reference's! ).

The VA's in the English Dub also work very well. They're different from the Japanese VA's, but they still fit they're character's, particularly J. Michael Tatum as Okabe and newcomer Jackie Ross as Mayuri (Her performance fits the character to a tee). Even Tyson Rinehart makes a great Daru! And their voices sound so natural to the characters, you swear the anime was done here in the U.S. first.

In the end, though, I like both, so I can't choose one over the other. It's like choosing a favorite flavor of ice cream. They're both great for different reasons. It's the same reason I love Fullmetal Alchemist.
I believe I suggested Steins Gate. Yes, it was quite remarkable. Haven't heard the English version. It really does go into the personal costs of time travel like few other stories involving that does.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #687
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

This video gives a pretty straightforward explanation for the entire plot of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho07Ag6lV9g
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

5-.-2-.-14

Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #688
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

It's probably not as interesting if you 'understand' it.

Quote:
This video gives a pretty straightforward explanation for the entire plot of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho07Ag6lV9g
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Still doesn't help.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-07-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #689
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Outlaw Star

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 04-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #690
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Haven't watched that in ages, is Ash getting any closer to pro league?
He got close in the Diamond and Pearl saga. Unfortunately he lost to a trainer packing Darkrai and Latios. Also, it's been one year since he left Pallet Town.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #691
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
It's probably not as interesting if you 'understand' it.
I think I understand it a lot better than when I initially watched it and I still find it a very fascinating series.

I think a lot of people make a big deal about Evangelion being this big, religious, symbolic, complicated, deep mind**** series when, in fact, it really isn't (save for a bit of mind****). The creator pretty much said that the symbols are pretty much there just to look cool and nothing else, and that it's not a religious show. Anno Hideaki said that if he had known that it would have become so popular here in America, he wouldn't have put in all of the Christian symbols and nomenclature.

If you strip away all of the "symbolism" and all the mind****, it's pretty much just about people learning how to deal with life's problems. It just has some giant mechs, monsters and an apocalypse thrown into it.

Quote:
Still doesn't help.
It made perfect sense to me. But, then again, I've done a bit of my own research on the series so I understand it much better than when I first watched the series.

Also, if you look on that guy's channel, he's already done two character analysis videos for Ritsuko and Kaji. They're very insightful, imho.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #692
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
I think I understand it a lot better than when I initially watched it and I still find it a very fascinating series.

I think a lot of people make a big deal about Evangelion being this big, religious, symbolic, complicated, deep mind**** series when, in fact, it really isn't (save for a bit of mind****). The creator pretty much said that the symbols are pretty much there just to look cool and nothing else, and that it's not a religious show. Anno Hideaki said that if he had known that it would have become so popular here in America, he wouldn't have put in all of the Christian symbols and nomenclature.

If you strip away all of the "symbolism" and all the mind****, it's pretty much just about people learning how to deal with life's problems. It just has some giant mechs, monsters and an apocalypse thrown into it.

It made perfect sense to me. But, then again, I've done a bit of my own research on the series so I understand it much better than when I first watched the series.

Also, if you look on that guy's channel, he's already done two character analysis videos for Ritsuko and Kaji. They're very insightful, imho.
Oh it makes 'sense', cliffs-notesy as it is.....just doesn't help.

He should have gotten a narrator, too. But part of the fun of NGE is how WTF it is.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-07-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #693
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Oh it makes 'sense', cliffs-notesy as it is.....just doesn't help.
There's this one channel that I recommend checking out. It's called ReVolutionofEva. It really goes into detail about many different things in and surrounding the series (the psychology of the characters, the social climate and time in which the series was made, product placement, firearms, etc).

This one guy (dressed in a V costume, don't ask me why! ) basically researched a bunch of Evangelion guides, magazines and pamphlets (only exclusive to Japan and not available in the U.S.) and psychology textbooks. He then put all the information he learned from these various sources and put it into these Powerpoint presentations for panels at various anime conventions to explain these various things.

Yes, they can be a little longwinded (he does ramble a bit, and there's a lot of videos) and sometimes hard to understand, but they're very informative. If you want to better understand the NGE universe, I highly recommend watching them whenever you have the time.

Quote:
He should have gotten a narrator, too. But part of the fun of NGE is how WTF it is.
I won't deny that it's WTF-ery is definitely part of its appeal and what got me interested in it in the first place. I'm just saying it isn't as WTF or confusing as many make it out to be.

Sure, there's some stuff you have to sort through to understand it a bit, but you definitely don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. It just takes a bit of research is all.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #694
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Dragonball Z.

Reatching the show from the beginning.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #695
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
There's this one channel that I recommend checking out. It's called ReVolutionofEva. It really goes into detail about many different things in and surrounding the series (the psychology of the characters, the social climate and time in which the series was made, product placement, firearms, etc).

This one guy (dressed in a V costume, don't ask me why! ) basically researched a bunch of Evangelion guides, magazines and pamphlets (only exclusive to Japan and not available in the U.S.) and psychology textbooks. He then put all the information he learned from these various sources and put it into these Powerpoint presentations for panels at various anime conventions to explain these various things.

Yes, they can be a little longwinded (he does ramble a bit, and there's a lot of videos) and sometimes hard to understand, but they're very informative. If you want to better understand the NGE universe, I highly recommend watching them whenever you have the time.

I won't deny that it's WTF-ery is definitely part of its appeal and what got me interested in it in the first place. I'm just saying it isn't as WTF or confusing as many make it out to be.

Sure, there's some stuff you have to sort through to understand it a bit, but you definitely don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. It just takes a bit of research is all.
Again, what he explains is what a lot of us who already get it knew, but as if it was from a dictionary...which might not be all that inviting to someone who doesn't as much. Put it this way, it won't change someone's opinion of it if they're just turned off or bewildered by it. There's a vibe and aesthetic to it as well that I think either appeals to someone or doesn't regardless of how well they truly 'understand' it. Otherwise, it's like describing how a piano works for someone who doesn't like music. Or in this person's case, people may like music, but may not be as into hearing about the mathematics behind string scale and frequency harmonics. It's better explained through analogies of story arcs that we like. Someone a while back trued to explain what Fooly Cooly was really about....and it's like 'shut up, dude'.

Actually, Harvey Plinkett should do a guide for NGE.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-07-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #696
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

So Craigdb, you finally got to watch Steins Gate...looks like you loved it too, no surprise. Involving, wasn't it? I only watched a subbed version, curious to watch the dubbed one. That's one they should put on TV/Adult Swim. They did with Durarara, which I was really happy about.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #697
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Again, what he explains is what a lot of us who already get it knew, but as if it was from a dictionary...which might not be all that inviting to someone who doesn't as much. Put it this way, it won't change someone's opinion of it if they're just turned off or bewildered by it.
But, that's the thing. Many people don't like the series because they are confused by it and think it's just a bunch of WTF, pointless symbolism and such. There's so many different theories and speculation out there on internet from people who don't even have a concrete understanding of the series that it makes newcomers even more confused than they already were to begin with.

That's why the information in the videos might make some people go, "Oh, that makes sense", and maybe even make them reconsider their stance on the show. It would at least clarify things.

And, even if certain people don't like the series as much, they can at least pinpoint why they don't like it. Maybe some of them would even find the information fascinating, in spite of their dislike.

For example, I dislike Batman Returns, but I have watched videos to better understand why and what I don't like about it. And even though I don't like the film, I can understand why some people would like it.

Quote:
There's a vibe and aesthetic to it as well that I think either appeals to someone or doesn't regardless of how well they truly 'understand' it.
I get that it has this certain quality, as you said, that draws certain people in, regardless of whether they like it or not.

What I'm saying is that's not all there is to the series. It's not just about the WTF elements. Even if those particular people don't know or aren't interested in what makes the show tick, it doesn't make any of those facts any less true.

Quote:
Otherwise, it's like describing how a piano works for someone who doesn't like music. Or in this person's case, people may like music, but may not be as into hearing about the mathematics behind string scale and frequency harmonics.
But information given in the video isn't described like complex string scale mathematics . It's given in a very straightforward, if somewhat rambling, manner. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
It's better explained through analogies of story arcs that we like. Someone a while back trued to explain what Fooly Cooly was really about....and it's like 'shut up, dude'.
But, there's a distinct difference between the two series. Both of them are like night and day.

FoolyCooly is mainly a "WTF" anime, with lessons of puberty and growing up sprinkled throughout. It was not meant to necessarily make sense or tell a "story". It doesn't take itself seriously, and was mainly made to mess with people's minds for fun. Like you said, it's one of those where you're supposed to shut off your brain and not think about it too much, lest you make your head explode.

NGE, however, was made with the sole purpose of telling a serious story about flawed characters dealing with their problems, with "WTF" stuff sprinkled throughout. It wasn't made with the sole purpose of screwing with people, even if that's what a lot of people got out of it. There's stuff in there that was supposed to make sense, even if you didn't get it right away.

In one of your earlier posts, you said that there are no answers to the series. But, as shown by the videos posted in the channel I linked to, there are. It may not be very apparent to someone who has watched the series for the first time, but it does make sense if research is done.

But, I've said my peace, with my long wall of text.

Make of it what you will, and no ill will intended.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #698
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
So Craigdb, you finally got to watch Steins Gate...looks like you loved it too, no surprise. Involving, wasn't it? I only watched a subbed version, curious to watch the dubbed one. That's one they should put on TV/Adult Swim. They did with Durarara, which I was really happy about.
Yeah man I finally got to it and boy was it an experience.

I'm definitely going to revisit it (I'll go ahead and watch it in Japanese this go around). The dub was fantastic and the story was engaging to the point where I honestly couldn't stop watching even when I had work early in the morning. I was completely fixated and while I was at work I could do nothing but think of Steins;Gate.

Time travel has never quite been done like this. They did their research when it came to the subject matter and injected so much genuine emotion in what would otherwise be a relatively cold depiction of time travel. It was incredibly clever of them to use the John Titor conspiracy, LHC, along with some Kip Thorne theories not to mention other grandstanding Time Traveling concepts and integrate them in a flawless fashion into the story.

I'm hoping the movie coming out is good. I know it's a completely original story playing off from where we left off at the end so I'm curious as to how that will work out.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 04-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #699
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
But, that's the thing. Many people don't like the series because they are confused by it and think it's just a bunch of WTF, pointless symbolism and such. There's so many different theories and speculation out there on internet from people who don't even have a concrete understanding of the series that it makes newcomers even more confused than they already were to begin with.

That's why the information in the videos might make some people go, "Oh, that makes sense", and maybe even make them reconsider their stance on the show. It would at least clarify things.
Clarify, but not necessarily improve.

Quote:
And, even if certain people don't like the series as much, they can at least pinpoint why they don't like it. Maybe some of them would even find the information fascinating, in spite of their dislike.

For example, I dislike Batman Returns, but I have watched videos to better understand why and what I don't like about it. And even though I don't like the film, I can understand why some people would like it.

I get that it has this certain quality, as you said, that draws certain people in, regardless of whether they like it or not.

What I'm saying is that's not all there is to the series.
I never said there is.

Quote:
It's not just about the WTF elements. Even if those particular people don't know or aren't interested in what makes the show tick, it doesn't make any of those facts any less true.

But information given in the video isn't described like complex string scale mathematics . It's given in a very straightforward, if somewhat rambling, manner. It's not rocket science.
Never said it was complex. It's pretty rudimentary, actually...as is string scale law.

Quote:
But, there's a distinct difference between the two series. Both of them are like night and day.

FoolyCooly is mainly a "WTF" anime, with lessons of puberty and growing up sprinkled throughout. It was not meant to necessarily make sense or tell a "story". It doesn't take itself seriously, and was mainly made to mess with people's minds for fun. Like you said, it's one of those where you're supposed to shut off your brain and not think about it too much, lest you make your head explode.
I never said they were like eachother as shows.

Quote:
NGE, however, was made with the sole purpose of telling a serious story about flawed characters dealing with their problems, with "WTF" stuff sprinkled throughout. It wasn't made with the sole purpose of screwing with people, even if that's what a lot of people got out of it. There's stuff in there that was supposed to make sense, even if you didn't get it right away.

In one of your earlier posts, you said that there are no answers to the series.
Of course there are answers...as those who created it very likely had an idea of what they were after. What i was saying is when you find out what they are, one way or another, they might not really be that interesting or add much. So you kind of have to find your own 'point of entry' regardless. And if you can't or won't, then a 'user's guide' won't really help that.

Quote:
But, as shown by the videos posted in the channel I linked to, there are. It may not be very apparent to someone who has watched the series for the first time, but it does make sense if research is done.

But, I've said my peace, with my long wall of text.

Make of it what you will, and no ill will intended.
You obviously missed what I was saying, but kudos on the wall anyway. Ta-ta.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-08-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #700
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Yeah man I finally got to it and boy was it an experience.

I'm definitely going to revisit it (I'll go ahead and watch it in Japanese this go around). The dub was fantastic and the story was engaging to the point where I honestly couldn't stop watching even when I had work early in the morning. I was completely fixated and while I was at work I could do nothing but think of Steins;Gate.

Time travel has never quite been done like this. They did their research when it came to the subject matter and injected so much genuine emotion in what would otherwise be a relatively cold depiction of time travel. It was incredibly clever of them to use the John Titor conspiracy, LHC, along with some Kip Thorne theories not to mention other grandstanding Time Traveling concepts and integrate them in a flawless fashion into the story.

I'm hoping the movie coming out is good. I know it's a completely original story playing off from where we left off at the end so I'm curious as to how that will work out.
So they're doing a 'movie' followup. Interesting.

What I also liked was what I referred to in terms of the 'costs' of time travel.....and how things start to 'spoil' the more it's used, around bot the traveler and the stability of the world itself. An interesting philosophy about respecting the natural progression of time and events, and yeah the emotional/spiritual toll it takes....how along the way some real heartfelt things are discovered, then ripped apart by that same knowledge.

Like you alluded to...there are so many movies and shows/stories that deal with time travel and it becomes so cliché...but this seems to do it smarter than all of them. And really more emotionally, too. It's also funny/sweet how both times when the guy tells the girl how he feels...it's based on time he's spent but she hasn't...but she still senses it and is basically like 'Okay fine.'

Last edited by KalMart; 04-08-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Closed Thread