Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #901
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
It should have been that way, and it could have if the "front" plan was more developed such as in the second act of TDKR, but I'm perfectly fine with the LoS being used once again. Bane's idea of giving this false hope should have been more developed though while focusing less on the time bomb until the very last part of the final act when it was the main focus after Talia's reveal.
Well, I'm glad we at least agree on that.

Free Original Music
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #902
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Given no time restraints, I bet we would have definitely gotten a Gotham City that's gone into anarchy in this martial law state and would have even turned into a longer mercenaries/Blackgate inmates vs GCPD war while Batman is also going up against Bane and then Talia.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #903
JackWhite
Third Man

Bane's false revolution still had some truth to it, the truth being Harvey Dent became a murderer/lunatic and Gordon conspired to keep the truth away from the public and built Dent up as a "false idol".

My only gripes are we don't see nearly as much of the revolt that would ensue if a city found out that it's deceased public servant died a monster and not a hero and that the police were the ones to conspire to keep the truth away from them. I like how Bane and Talia used the Harvey Dent cover up to their advantage to incite martial law upon the city.

But when it comes to the drawn out 5 month siege, I'm not sure if there is a way around that, because Bruce needed adequate time to sweat it out and rebuild himself down there in the pit.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #904
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
That's true. Knowing who he really is, too, and in his weak cane hobbling state she could simply send a bunch of LOS to Wayne Manor, capture him and toss him in the pit. Didn't need Bane for that.
I understand you have to set a fight up somehow between Bane and Batman, but Bane didn't need Catwoman to get to Batman. I think Nolan and company needed to show that Catwoman is out for herself only. Realistically, Bane could've simply walked into Wayne Manor (like the comics) and fight him. In fact, if Bane was so confident he could beat Batman, he wouldn't have gone through the trouble of setting up the trap in the sewer.
I think the fight between them would've been even more intense if Bane surprised him after saving Catwoman off the rooftop. Either have him waiting for him in the Batcave or his house.
We all knew they were going to fight when Batman asked for it from Catwoman. I think it would've been an "oh s____" moment for Bruce seeing that Bane knows his true identity. Plus, it would've thrown the audience off regarding when they would fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
While I do agree that that stuff is symbolically interesting, don't you agree that it would have been more interesting had Bane been a real revolutionary who tears down the system and takes Gotham back from the rich and powerful to give it to the people? The city itself would have probably dissolved into total anarchy (something we only got glimpses of) and the great symbolic twist would have been that it ends up being one of the rich and powerful that saves the city from destroying itself.
That actually would be pretty cool. And then Bane decides to blow up the city. Enter Batman.

Last edited by RAINMAKER; 03-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #905
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

The whole siege/revolution aspects of the film, even while underdeveloped, are really what set it apart from other films in the genre including its two predecessors. The events are so massive that even while we're only getting a bigger picture of what's happening, it inevitably colors the tone of the film with a potent mixture of bleakness and romanticism.

At the same time, I actually have really come to enjoy the ticking time bomb aspect to the climax. I've come around from being overwhelmed and numb by the final chase, to kinda liking it, to flat out loving it. It's unbelievably intense and climactic. I also like the bomb there because it keeps Bane from simply being Che Guevara with a mask. I think in a film like this, while I love as much complexity as possible, it's also important for there to eventually be a clear distinction between good and evil when it comes to hero and villain. Batman's a dark character, he's gotta have darker villains.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #906
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The whole siege/revolution aspects of the film, even while underdeveloped, are really what set it apart from other films in the genre including its two predecessors. The events are so massive that even while we're only getting a bigger picture of what's happening, it inevitably colors the tone of the film with a potent mixture of bleakness and romanticism.

At the same time, I actually have really come to enjoy the ticking time bomb aspect to the climax. I've come around from being overwhelmed and numb by the final chase, to kinda liking it, to flat out loving it. It's unbelievably intense and climactic. I also like the bomb there because it keeps Bane from simply being Che Guevara with a mask. I think in a film like this, while I love as much complexity as possible, it's also important for there to eventually be a clear distinction between good and evil when it comes to hero and villain. Batman's a dark character, he's gotta have darker villains.
I'm in that camp also. The Bat is one of my favorite things about TDKR now.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #907
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

The Adam-West style of the ticking time bomb becomes awesome if you think of it as an tribute/nod to this aspect of the classic Batman mythos, opposed to being an unfortunate coincidence.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #908
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I'm in that camp also.
Same here. Part of it has to do with the score during that chase, it's great.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #909
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Same here. Part of it has to do with the score during that chase, it's great.
The score was indeed great during that scene.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #910
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
The Adam-West style of the ticking time bomb becomes awesome if you think of it as an tribute/nod to this aspect of the classic Batman mythos, opposed to being an unfortunate coincidence.
I'd say it's about as much as a "coincidence" as The Joker wearing the same clownmask Cesar Romero did in his first episode of the 60s series

Nolan loves the 60s show.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #911
Victarion
Cut

Quote:

The use of practical effects in the chase is my favorite aspect; knowing that the Tumblers and the Bat for the street-level parts are actually there.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #912
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
The use of practical effects in the chase is my favorite aspect; knowing that the Tumblers and the Bat for the street-level parts are actually there.
Absolutely. It's so visceral. For Nolan to apply his practical action to so much aerial stuff in this film was just astounding.

The Bat just took the action and visuals to the next level.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #913
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #914
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yes it was a brilliant idea and it was also the reason I was disappointed because everything was there to cement Bane as THE VILLAIN of the series and the movie as the cream de la crop but it was greatly squandered. In this case bigger wasn't better. As for the chase scene I'll say that I don't even make it up to that point in the film anymore before I turn it off with frustration. I found it very anticlimactic and out of place. I'm not a fan of the Bat at all. It didn't fit well with the universe in my opinion as well as Catwoman and her antics.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #915
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isearch4dope View Post
Yes it was a brilliant idea and it was also the reason I was disappointed because everything was there to cement Bane as THE VILLAIN of the series and the movie as the cream de la crop but it was greatly squandered. In this case bigger wasn't better. As for the chase scene I'll say that I don't even make it up to that point in the film anymore before I turn it off with frustration. I found it very anticlimactic and out of place. I'm not a fan of the Bat at all. It didn't fit well with the universe in my opinion as well as Catwoman and her antics.
Everything you said there is highly subjective, so I won't argue, but I have to say I couldn't feel more differently when it comes to that last statement. The Bat and Catwoman were two of my favorite aspects of the film.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #916
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:
Everything you said there is highly subjective, so I won't argue, but I have to say I couldn't feel more differently when it comes to that last statement. The Bat and Catwoman were two of my favorite aspects of the film.
Yea just my opinion and by no means did they suck but I just felt like they were in the wrong movie or a movie was missing in between. Kinda took away from whatever rawness the series possessed. From the moment Catwoman did a gliding fairy like backflip out Bruce's window I started looking around to see if I was in the correct movie. Her heels certainly were over the top though right?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #917
JackWhite
Third Man

I just find it funny how some can accept Two-Face in this world, and not Catwoman. One has half his face burned off, and the other is a cat burglar, lol.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #918
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

The ticking time bomb was way too cliche for me to actually feel tension from the climax. What made the chase even worse was that Nolan managed to fit in another huge cliche, the hero turning his enemies projectile weapon on him. I literally rolled my eyes when I saw that. Another minus is the superflous integration of Morgan Freeman giving unnecessary exposition. TDK had a more organic way of including him in the climax.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #919
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
The ticking time bomb was way too cliche for me to actually feel tension from the climax. What made the chase even worse was that Nolan managed to fit in another huge cliche, the hero turning his enemies projectile weapon on him. I literally rolled my eyes when I saw that.
Ah, man that was such a cool part. When was the last time you saw that done in an urban environment in which an aircraft is weaving through buildings and flying over skyscrapers? Honest question, cause I can't remember one atm. Granted, it's certainly not the most original idea, but it's such a cool strategic thing for Batman to do and made for an awesome visual.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #920
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I've seen it a lot in Anime, with far more dynamic visuals. Check out some of the older Gundam animes.

However sensible the strategy might've been within the film, it is undercut by the sheer clicheness of it all. That is like the oldest cliche in the book.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #921
Marvin
Side-Kick

A true home invasion by the league on the newly rebuilt wayne manor with ninjas and mercs in tandum, only have a battered Bruce defeat them all, and get himself and to the cave in time to gear up only to come face to face with Bane.

This happens in the first act where Alfred makes his sacrifice getting his master to the safety of the cave. Then you have the hiatus and the occupied gotham. Just seems more streamlined and tragic that way.

but that's me.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #922
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I've seen it a lot in Anime, with far more dynamic visuals. Check out some of the older Gundam animes.

However sensible the strategy might've been within the film, it is undercut by the sheer clicheness of it all. That is like the oldest cliche in the book.
Was hoping you'd name me a live action film. Not all of us are anime fans. Mileage may vary, etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #923
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
A true home invasion by the league on the newly rebuilt wayne manor with ninjas and mercs in tandum, only have a battered Bruce defeat them all, and get himself and to the cave in time to gear up only to come face to face with Bane.

This happens in the first act where Alfred makes his sacrifice getting his master to the safety of the cave. Then you have the hiatus and the occupied gotham. Just seems more streamlined and tragic that way.

but that's me.
Streamlined as in , extremely cliché ?

Especially the killing the old man. Im so glad Alfred didn't die.

Killing characters isn't tragic. I find the image of Bruce being completely lost in the beginning of the movie much more tragic. There's an huge amount of weight in his shoulders , that are direct consequences of his past. That's the tragedy. His actions matter.

A lot of todays storytelling , they kill characters just for the sake of it. Exactly to bring tragedy that simply doesn't exist within their stories.

Bruce's life is a tragic one. And Rises goes in great detail to show us that. No need for unnecessary deaths .

Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #924
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
But when it comes to the drawn out 5 month siege, I'm not sure if there is a way around that, because Bruce needed adequate time to sweat it out and rebuild himself down there in the pit.
While I think anyone would have wanted more time with the siege, when it came to the time restriction, the more important aspect had to be the focus, and that was Bruce Wayne first and foremost.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #925
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I wouldn't want Alfred to die, but a Bats vs. Bane match in the Batcave would have been so cool.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Closed Thread