The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #751
jacobed
Banned User

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion)

I wish Halle Berry wasn't in this. She's terrible as Storm and the character herself is terrible in these movies. Eh I'm very disappointed

Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #752
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I wish Halle Berry wasn't in this. She's terrible as Storm and the character herself is terrible in these movies. Eh I'm very disappointed
Life can be tough that way.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #753
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Halle Berry and Storm are the least of this production's problems at this point. She's hardly going to be the primary focus in DoFP anyway.

Looking forward to seeing set pics and production developments.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #754
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
I think one of the original cast members will die in the past and not be in the sequels of the altered future.... Who has the biggest combined contract and ego? Halle Berry? .... Young Storm is killed in the past.
Hating on Halle Berry? I see.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #755
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Life can be tough that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Halle Berry and Storm are the least of this production's problems at this point. She's hardly going to be the primary focus in DoFP anyway.

What exactly are the production's problems at this point?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #756
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know. She is just awful, but be thankful she's never really been the focus on the movies. I suspect Storm will have as small if not smaller role in DOFP than in X1.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #757
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
I know. She is just awful, but be thankful she's never really been the focus on the movies. I suspect Storm will have as small if not smaller role in DOFP than in X1.
Well, there are several steps to remedy this.

First, they should make Halle look like the character convincingly.

Secondly, they should write the character properly and make her meaningful.

Thirdly, the director should make sure he gets a great performance out of the actress.

Also, if all involved can't stand Halle, then DoFP is a chance to kill her off and bring a young new Storm who they feel better embodies the role.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #758
NanaT
X-Men United!

I think people need to think slightly more positively.

Bryan Singer has obviously learned from his mistakes and has realised that fans want a storm more akin to her conic book portrayal and I'm sure no matter how small her role is Singer will write her better.

Halle herself has said that she realises her popular the character is and how she wants to get Storm's portrayal right this time to please fans. Again no matter how small her role is.

And finally all the points that X-Maniac brought up will no doubt be implemented into this movie. I don't think it's right to just blame Halle for all of it and then write her off, especially since 1) She is not the sole reason why the portrayal of Storm left much to be desired. You guys saw how a change of directors led to completely different portrayals of Storm, Halle does as she is told. 2) Halle, Bryan and everyone else working on this movie have matured and honed their craft over the years and should now be capable of giving us a good movie with strong performances.

Think positively guys, It's all we have from now till july 2014

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #759
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Halle is fantastic,I love Storm/Halle.The only terrible is Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #760
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Quote:
Agreed but the woman will take any job these days, lucked out on the Oscar as in general she is terrible.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #761
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
I'm tired of seeing people ***** and criticize Halle Berry.

The way they portrayed Storm in the trilogy was not her fault.

Halle Berry is a great actress. Storm is clearly a great character. But it was the way Storm was written as well as overall bad direction on the part of Singer and Ratner in the first 3 films that made the character bad.

Singer gave her jack**** to do as well as make poor choices with the character, such as making her kind of shy and withdrawn in the first film, but then confident and sure of herself, yet still mad at the world in he second. This lack of consistency was jarring.

In 3, Ratner gave her more to do but the role he did give her was that of voice of reason for Logan, and that is NOT what people wanted to see from Storm.

I'm glad she'll be back. I hope this character and Berry get a chance at redemption in this series.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 03-27-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #762
Zant
Side-Kick

Its cool and hip to hate on Halle Berry on the internet, someone has to be the scapegoat I guess

Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #763
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
I'm tired of seeing people ***** and criticize Halle Berry.

The way they portrayed Storm in the trilogy was not her fault.
So it wasn't her idea to have a different accent in every other scene ... she was told to do that.
Ah ok my bad.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #764
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Agreed but the woman will take any job these days, lucked out on the Oscar as in general she is terrible.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #765
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
So it wasn't her idea to have a different accent in every other scene ... she was told to do that.
Ah ok my bad.
She was told to do the accent by the director.

If she couldn't do one, fine. That's on no one but herself as she just didn't/doesn't have the ability to do so. And there's nothing wrong with that. But it is the director's fault for making her continue to do it when it clearly wasn't working to begin with.

This being why the accent as never used past the first film. Singer finally did see it wasn't working, but it was too late.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 03-27-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #766
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Ah ok my bad.
Oh cry me a river, of course she was told to have an accent.

I'm not sure if she had a dialect coach (probably not).

I thought it sounded fine but if the director or anyone else on set thought it didn't, they should have done more takes until they were happy it was what they wanted.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #767
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post

What exactly are the production's problems at this point?
None that I know of? I am sure there may be some behind-the-scenes challenges but i seriously doubt Halle Berry or Storm is one of them for this production. This is the fifth time Storm has been on the silver screen; they've got it figured out (hopefully) this time...

Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #768
Lightning Strykez!

I think another cause for the complaints with Halle and Storm is that the only other live action point of reference for the character are the various animated series where Storm is pretty over the top with her vocals. I've accepted the fact that we will NEVER hear Halle Berry say the following:

"I summon the power of the artic winds!"

"You don't know the power of the elements!"

"Winds! Cold! Storms! Rains! Deliver us from evil!"

Or worse yet:

"Be goooonnnnnee!"

Never gonna happen. And I think fans compare movie Storm to her animated counterparts, not realizing that audiences would break into peals of laughter if Halle Berry tried saying some s*** like that in a movie.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #769
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I think another cause for the complaints with Halle and Storm is that the only other live action point of reference for the character are the various animated series where Storm is pretty over the top with her vocals. I've accepted the fact that we will NEVER hear Halle Berry say the following:

Or worse yet:

"Be goooonnnnnee!"

Never gonna happen. And I think fans compare movie Storm to her animated counterparts, not realizing that audiences would break into peals of laughter if Halle Berry tried saying some s*** like that in a movie.
I hope we don't get any of that stuff. In the first episode of the 90s series, even Rogue tells her to 'lighten up on the speeches, sugah.' I agree.

I even think those lightning-styled earrings might be a bit hokey on screen. Much like the booty shorts and thigh-high boots of the comics version.

Some of that stuff from the comics and cartoons just wouldn't work. The wimple-like headgear worn by Gambit and Jean is another no-no.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #770
NanaT
X-Men United!

Oh come on people!!

Halle Berry wasn't that bad you guys make it out as if she couldn't act. Halle did not portray the Storm from the comics but her acting was not bad, she convincingly portrayed the whichever version of Storm that Ratner and Singer wanted.

I believe Halle did not get a vocal coach (though can't remember where I heard that) and Singer decided she should drop the accent for X2 because 1) they couldn't get a vocal coach and 2) Halle had more lines so it would be easier for her to speak in her normal vocal tones.

I'm an African (from Ghana) and I personally did not think that the accent was bad at all. Especially considering that Halle may not have had a vocal coach to work with her during filming. I think people just think that all africans speak with the stereotypical loud voice and over the top vocal tones like storm's voice in the 90's animated series. That is not true. Halle clearly had an East African accent that sounded quite authentic the only problem was that she kept dropping in and out of the accent. (particularly during the final act) she couldn't keep it consistent (possibly because she didn't have a vocal coach)

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #771
josh8
Side-Kick

The "Halle sucks" movement is tired and we've all moved on. As for the accent, I don't think it was her fault. She had so few lines (much of them really short as well), that I really can't imagine that she had an vocal coach at all.

To put this discussion into perspective, I'll use Halle and Anna as an example. IMO Storm and Rogue were the characters that were farthest from their comic counterparts. I would also say Halle and Anna were on par with each other in terms of acting (Halle was kind of dull, but Anna overacted too many of her scenes). The difference was that Anna had a role that was meaningful and so she was loved. Halle had a role that was lame AND meaningless and so she was sent to burn at the stake.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #772
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

People will always criticize Halle Berry because she's a star. Even she gives us a great performance in DOFP. There's always someone that will not like her and hate her.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #773
Lightning Strykez!

I think that when Halle first got cast for Storm in 1999, she was just looking at it as another 'job'. She knew nothing about the greatness of Storm. Bryan forbid her (and everyone else) from even looking up the comics. So I believe she was blindsided after the fact when fans all over the world started ripping on her portrayal. In the years since, Halle has DEFINITELY figured out how popular and powerful Storm is--and how much the character means to millions of people.

It's been a learning curve...and I wouldn't be surprised if Bryan hasn't learned a few things as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #774
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Halle Berry wasn't very good as Storm. But it might not have been her fault, and she might blow us away with this next one. Not much more to say.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #775
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:

Or worse yet:

"Be goooonnnnnee!"

Hahaha The Animated Series is definitely not considered "Live Action"

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
To put this discussion into perspective, I'll use Halle and Anna as an example. IMO Storm and Rogue were the characters that were farthest from their comic counterparts. I would also say Halle and Anna were on par with each other in terms of acting (Halle was kind of dull, but Anna overacted too many of her scenes). The difference was that Anna had a role that was meaningful and so she was loved. Halle had a role that was lame AND meaningless and so she was sent to burn at the stake.
Just curious, in which scenes did you think Anna overacted as Rogue?

Closed Thread