The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #401
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
When did he say this?
In an interview with CHUD last year after Avengers release:

Quote:
"As we go forward - particularly in Iron Man 3 - [there's] the notion of how singular the stories can become. Iron Man 3 is a very singular Tony Stark story. As is Thor 2," he explained.

"Cap, who is stuck in the modern day with no friends or family, there will be some revelations of who is still alive from his days in World War II, but SHIELD and Nick Fury are kind of his confidants right now. So of all these movies, Captain America 2 will be most closely associated with Avengers."

- CM Punk
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #402
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
In an interview with CHUD last year after Avengers release:
Quote:
"As we go forward - particularly in Iron Man 3 - [there's] the notion of how singular the stories can become. Iron Man 3 is a very singular Tony Stark story. As is Thor 2," he explained.

"Cap, who is stuck in the modern day with no friends or family, there will be some revelations of who is still alive from his days in World War II, but SHIELD and Nick Fury are kind of his confidants right now. So of all these movies, Captain America 2 will be most closely associated with Avengers."
That is different to what you said:

Quote:
Feige said this movie will be closest in style and look to Avengers, yes this is basically like our Avengers 1.5 movie.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #403
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
I think because Hulk, Iron Man and Thor don't like to follow the rules and are somewhat loners so they break out of that SHIELD mold. Captain America is a team guy and likes to follow the rules so he fits right in.
Well, if you read Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America (which TWS is based on) SHIELD is cap's supporting cast.

Last edited by KangConquers; 03-26-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #404
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I meant closest to Avengers. Whatever. He's saying the Iron Man and Thor sequels are more SINGULAR standalone stories. Captain America will be closer to Avengers. And look at all these characters. We have a multiple superhero/vigilante cast.

- CM Punk
Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #405
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
I meant closest to Avengers. Whatever. He's saying the Iron Man and Thor sequels are more SINGULAR standalone stories. Captain America will be closer to Avengers. And look at all these characters. We have a multiple superhero/vigilante cast.
Despite the characters and organizations that made up the supporting cast, the Winter Soldier storyline wasn't Avengers-related at all; it was very much Cap-focused.

That said, the opportunities to tie-in other MCU goings-on will be much higher thanks to that same supporting cast. I just hope it strikes a better balance between main storyline and easter eggs than Iron Man 2 did.

Last edited by spideymouse; 03-26-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #406
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
I also don't see how Cap 2 is going to be Avengers 1.5, at least not any moreso than IM3 and Thor 2, who each have there own supporting heroes/vigilantes.

IM3 has War Machine and the Iron Legion while Thor 2 is going to feature Sif and the Warriors 3. It just so happens that Cap's supporting cast are mostly SHIELD agents.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #407
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Like others have said, SHIELD is just Cap's supporting cast. In a sense, yes, it's the closest to the Avengers because it's going to be more of a team-up film than either Thor or Iron Man due to the nature of Cap being apart of SHIELD, but that does not mean it will be similar in look and style to the Avengers. Considering this is going to be a political thriller with assassins and the mercenaries at the center of it, I'd say it might be the least similar film to the Avengers in terms of style and look in phase 2.

Also, as far as I can tell, it will be the least connected to what happened in the Avengers as well. Both Thor and Iron Man pick up directly where Avengers left off and the premise for the characters' states are pretty heavily based on it, while with Cap 2 you could really just say it's picking up where Cap 1 left off.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #408
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I doubt the movie is going to be shot like Bourne Ultimatum .

- CM Punk
Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #409
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
I doubt the movie is going to be shot like Bourne Ultimatum .
I actually think it will be pretty similar to a Bourne or 007 film in terms of tone/style/look or however you want to call it. It will just have more of a fantastical spin on it, obviously.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #410
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually think it will be pretty similar to a Bourne or 007 film in terms of tone/style/look or however you want to call it. It will just have more of a fantastical spin on it, obviously.
Hopefully it won't have as much shaky cam and close-in shots that make it hard to tell what is happening in the fight scenes.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #411
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah...something tells me that's what we're going to get with the close up fights though. Hopefully I'll be plesently surprised.

Also, official confirmation on the GSP news.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/ufc/ufcs...merica-sequel/

LR's info was good. Guess we can trust them on the Redford as Pierce scoop as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #412
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Is Joe Ferraro getting confirmation from GSP or is he getting it from Latino Review?

- CM Punk
Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #413
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Obviously saying "I've just received confirmation" does not point to him reading LR and sending out the tweet. If Joe Ferraro says it's so, then it is.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #414
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Yup. As expected

Wouldn't be surprised if hey, maybe captain america 3 will feature some masters of evil version or something

Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #415
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I hope the SHIELD Mandroids appear in Cap 2. If not, then TA2.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #416
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

What's all this talk of Captain America being "underwhelming" in The Avengers? He was done to perfection IMO. Sure his action scenes weren't as impressive as Iron Man/Hulk/etc. but that's expected. I do think he needed at least one big action moment that would make the audience go "Captain America can do that?" but I'd be fine if that moment happens in TWS instead.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #417
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I think his "Captain America can do that?" moment was after the forest fight, when he deflected Thor's hammer resulting in that huge shockwave. After that, he didn't really do anything impressive except for how he led the team. I always fast forward during the part where he fights those aliens in that building with the bomb, then gets blown out the window. It's not horrible, but it's so lackluster compared to what everyone else does that I get bored watching it.

They need to show off his combat and acrobatic skills more.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #418
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Like others have said, SHIELD is just Cap's supporting cast. In a sense, yes, it's the closest to the Avengers because it's going to be more of a team-up film than either Thor or Iron Man due to the nature of Cap being apart of SHIELD, but that does not mean it will be similar in look and style to the Avengers. Considering this is going to be a political thriller with assassins and the mercenaries at the center of it, I'd say it might be the least similar film to the Avengers in terms of style and look in phase 2.

Also, as far as I can tell, it will be the least connected to what happened in the Avengers as well. Both Thor and Iron Man pick up directly where Avengers left off and the premise for the characters' states are pretty heavily based on it, while with Cap 2 you could really just say it's picking up where Cap 1 left off.
I wouldn't be too quick to jump to that conclusion. Since both IM3 and TDW are directly "fed" by the end of Avengers, there's probably a good chance that CATWS will be as well. Avengers represents a crisis point in human history, maybe even an advance in human evolution. It's reasonable to assume that echoes from "Avengers Assemble" and the Battle of NYC will continue to resonate in all the Phase II movies.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #419
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
What's all this talk of Captain America being "underwhelming" in The Avengers?
Told you people thought this lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to jump to that conclusion. Since both IM3 and TDW are directly "fed" by the end of Avengers, there's probably a good chance that CATWS will be as well. Avengers represents a crisis point in human history, maybe even an advance in human evolution. It's reasonable to assume that echoes from "Avengers Assemble" and the Battle of NYC will continue to resonate in all the Phase II movies.
I say that because Cap's journey as a character will revolve around him adjusting to the future, a plot point which can be picked up directly from Cap 1. With IM3, Tony's mental state is a direct result of the Avengers and Loki is a major presence in Thor 2, which only makes sense if you watched the Avengers.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #420
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Told you people thought this lol.
There's a difference between a couple of fanboys in a forum and the general audience. For example, TDKR got quite a bit of backlash in these forums yet it's still one of the best movies of 2012 to the GA. Same principle applies to Cap in this case. I already provided you legit examples of Cap's popularity post-Avengers. He was never lower than people's third favorite character. And ahead of both Thor and Black Widow in almost every poll I've seen.
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I always fast forward during the part where he fights those aliens in that building with the bomb, then gets blown out the window. It's not horrible, but it's so lackluster compared to what everyone else does that I get bored watching it.
That was a character moment, not an action moment, maybe you need to watch it again with that in mind. It was pretty much a callback to the scene in The First Avenger when he sacrificed himself by jumping on the grenade. I would never fast forward that scene.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 03-27-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #421
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
That was a character moment, not an action moment, maybe you need to watch it again with that in mind. It was pretty much a callback to the scene in The First Avenger when he sacrificed himself by jumping on the grenade. I would never fast forward that scene.
That bit is awesome. Someone made a gif for me of that part awhile back and apparently I didn't save it.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #422
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
I think his "Captain America can do that?" moment was after the forest fight, when he deflected Thor's hammer resulting in that huge shockwave. After that, he didn't really do anything impressive except for how he led the team. I always fast forward during the part where he fights those aliens in that building with the bomb, then gets blown out the window. It's not horrible, but it's so lackluster compared to what everyone else does that I get bored watching it.

They need to show off his combat and acrobatic skills more.

That sequence where Cap jumped off the viaduct onto the roof of a bus, then jumped from the bus as it exploded onto a car that also blew up, used the momentum of the car's explosion to hurtle dozens of feet and then kept on running full out was pretty damn athletic.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #423
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
That sequence where Cap jumped off the viaduct onto the roof of a bus, then jumped from the bus as it exploded onto a car that also blew up, used the momentum of the car's explosion to hurtle dozens of feet and then kept on running full out was pretty damn athletic.

I said acrobatic skills. Of course running is athletic, but Cap has already shown how fast he can run in both movies. I need to see more acrobatic moves from him. One measly flip off of an exploding car is not enough, when Cap is able to do so much more.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #424
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
There's a difference between a couple of fanboys in a forum and the general audience. For example, TDKR got quite a bit of backlash in these forums yet it's still one of the best movies of 2012 to the GA. Same principle applies to Cap in this case. I already provided you legit examples of Cap's popularity post-Avengers. He was never lower than people's third favorite character. And ahead of both Thor and Black Widow in almost every poll I've seen.
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=117

I know it's a character moment, but that isn't the point of what I was saying. I find the scene boring because of the action taking place in it. If Cap's moves were better, while also showing a great character moment, I'd have no problem sitting through the scene. Just because it's a character moment does not mean it isn't boring. Which it is, to me, specifically.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #425
bert19
Side-Kick

Quote:
I said acrobatic skills. Of course running is athletic, but Cap has already shown how fast he can run in both movies. I need to see more acrobatic moves from him. One measly flip off of an exploding car is not enough, when Cap is able to do so much more.
He basically needs a couple of "oh S**t!!" moments.

I really want to see something fairly mental involving the shield being thrown in this one.
Crossbones could be a good victim for that. You know, really close fight, Crossbones raining it down on Cap with a vicious assault, then one little dodge and a shield throw that splatters Crossbones' teeth all over the next continent.

Or something like that.

Or taking a helicopter/plane/armored car completely out with one shield throw.

Closed Thread