Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #326
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
The way he worded it could mean that we have seen Loki at his worst already and that he'll be more of a Journey into Mystery Loki waffling between wanting to be redeemed and wanting to cause mischief and mayhem.
If that was his worse, then as a Loki fan I am disappointed. He's still a villain

Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #327
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

I think the intention concerning Tom Hiddleston's take on the character is that he's not just a villain in the traditional sense but a more relatable, three dimensional villain.

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.

"One loyal friend is worth 10 thousand relatives." - Euripides
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #328
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
I think the intention concerning Tom Hiddleston's take on the character is that he's not just a villain in the traditional sense but a more relatable, three dimensional villain.
people act like that's a unique type of villain lol.

But she was worried because tom's word on how evil loki has become, she was worried cause she was hoping Loki would be redeemed and then help be a good guy, and help the good guys. Which isn't what's going to happen, Loki IS a marvel villain.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #329
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
people act like that's a unique type of villain lol.

But she was worried because tom's word on how evil loki has become, she was worried cause she was hoping Loki would be redeemed and then help be a good guy, and help the good guys. Which isn't what's going to happen, Loki IS a marvel villain.
You know...fictionally speaking I would readily accept a totally villainous Loki, especially if his past included a lot of callous bullying by apathetic Asgardians because I relish villains with a cause, and that's to make those that made them suffer suffer even more. I love that sort of villainy, the kind that's driven by real, understandable reasons.

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 03-22-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #330
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
You know...fictionally speaking I would readily accept a totally villainous Loki, especially if his past included a lot of callous bullying by apathetic Asgardians because I relish villains with a cause, and that's to make those that made them suffer suffer even more. I love that sort of villainy, the kind that's driven by real, understandable reasons.
exactly. I a villain can be understandable and relateable after completely loosing touch.

I don't know if you are reading the new Thor comics, but in my eyes, Gorr is like that. He was slaughtering gods his whole life, and I hated him and wanted Thor to kill him. But as his origins became clear, he is a lot more relatable, and is essentially symbolically someone who lost faith in god (or in the comics) gods, because one too many bad things happened to him.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #331
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I just think it gets boring when a villain is always the villain. It's more interesting when they have more depth, like Magneto joining with Charles if it suits his interests as well but also trying to turn the situation into his advantage.

*fingers crossed that Tim Hiddleston wins at one or both of the KCAs tomorrow*

Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #332
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
I just think it gets boring when a villain is always the villain. It's more interesting when they have more depth, like Magneto joining with Charles if it suits his interests as well but also trying to turn the situation into his advantage.

*fingers crossed that Tim Hiddleston wins at one or both of the KCAs tomorrow*
a villain can have depth while still staying true to their routes. Loki is the trickster, he is a villain. He may have different roles, and objectives, but at the end of the day, he's still a villain. I am not sure what you are wanting from him, cause you haven't said specifically, but if it is for Loki to become a good guy and be forgiven, then that's flat out not going to happen.
Loki, in any form of the marvel universe, is a classic villain, one marvel's greatest. He really is,

as I've said before, he's the character that got me onto the whole "a story is only as good as it's villain" opinion, and made me enjoy villains more than heroes, generally. Loki may work with some of the good guys, but it's for his own needs, and his own desires and reasonings, he's up to something.. it's part of what has made Loki a great villain over the years.They can certainly add a different take to it, to make him more relatable, and to sync up better with the MCU, while staying true to the roots, which is what they are doing, but what that does is give some new fans a desire to see something in a character that is COMPLETELY out of character. However, they don't know this, or understand how drastic of a change it would be, in my opinion, doing that to freakin Loki is unacceptable and would destroy the character, and I am sure it would piss off a lot of comic book fans as well, but at the end of the day, he is Loki. And to have them change him in anyway in the MCU where he DOESN'T fit the term Villain would just flat out be wrong,(again, he can still be deep and relatable, and still be a "villain")

I assume you haven't read much thor comics, but Loki has been around since the 60s He's thor's biggest villain, in a way, and changing that into making him an ally really would be wrong. If you can, I would suggest reading so you can really learn more about the characters, I would suggest reading walter simonson's run on thor.

If you are interested in reading it, send me a PM, I may be able to give you a hand in getting your hands on it

Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #333
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
A one dimensional villain is a very boring villain indeed. Just being evil just for the sake of being be evil is so overused. I think it's because some creative choices some filmmakers make with villains is to make them unsympathetic so that you do hate them without feeling guilty about hating them.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #334
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
A one dimensional villain is a very boring villain indeed. Just being evil just for the sake of being be evil is so overused. I think it's because some creative choices some filmmakers make with villains is to make them unsympathetic so that you do hate them without feeling guilty about hating them.
characters can be flat out evil and still be interesting. There are A LOT of villains who are deep, those parts just go overshadowed.

thanos is my favorite villain, he's not relatable, and you don't sympathize with him, but I understand his point of view, and his intellect, and his perspective is why he's my favorite villain.

Villains are villains, and they don't have to be enjoyable, or even relatable for you to enjoy them.

Look at captain america and the red skull. The skull is evil and twisted and just a sick, sick man, as is norman osborne. They are awesome villains, and they aren't relatable. They represent true evil, especially the skull. He is the polar opposite of captain america and is one of marvel's best villains. Villains don't have to be relatable. Just because Loki in the movies has an understanding past (Which is incredibly argueable, to me it's pretty clear that in thor 1, he was ALREADY twisted), doesn't mean he isn;t evil, it just shows WHY he is evil.

I hope that he strays closer to comic book Loki. This movie is going to be big and I would prefer that characters are done as they should

Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #335
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Oh my God...no Loki news...not even any images...the suspense is just nerve wracking.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #336
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

Brief Tom interview--Loki comments are . . . intriguing . . .

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le4q5E_IWts

Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #337
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

And in more Tom Hiddleston (but not loki) news: he'll be in the next Muppet movie playing "the Great Escapo". A villain, perhaps?

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/tom-hid...2-great-escapo

Miss Piggy is so lucky!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #338
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGeek View Post
Brief Tom interview--Loki comments are . . . intriguing . . .

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le4q5E_IWts
Fixed it for you.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #339
LadyGeek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Fixed it for you.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Thanks! I'm still figuring out what the symbols mean.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #340
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

I did use Magneto for a reason. At the end of the day/film/comic arc, he's still a villain. He will always be a villain BUT...

He can also align himself with what suits his outcome the most and use those resources to his advantage, whether that's with Mystique or Charles.

As a Trickster, Loki is even better at this. He can be partnered with Enchantress one week and the next, he's enlisting the help of Spider-Man to save his daughter from harm.

You seem to think Loki is one-dimensional. I suppose this is a matter of opinion. Certainly, as you pointed out, the older Loki comics were more one-dimensional, like the very first gathering of the Avengers with Hulk and the train...

But since the 90s, Loki has been more a trickster, capable of whatever suits him best at the time. This is still evil the majority of the time but Loki is one of the original archetypal tricksters. A trickster is not known for true evil as much as mischief. It's why one of the biggest smiles on his face in The Avengers was while watching the museum crowd running and screaming, like it was a prank.

Jack Sparrow is another Trickster example. Does he sometimes do the right thing? Yes? Is he more likely to do what suits him best while making others the fool? ABSOLUTELY

No, I don't want Loki to be a permanent good guy. That wouldn't be true and it would become boring. Would I like them to toy with and at least broach the idea of redemption?

Yes, and Tom Hiddleston agrees:
Quote:
But I hope that there is redemption, a glimmer of redemption within him, because I think that’s exciting! I think that’s exciting for me to play, exciting for Chris.

Oh yeah! In the heart of Loki there is the heart of a lost child and around it he’s wrapped in a cloak of hatred and anger and pain and enormous power. But I think it’s much more exciting if I think there’s always a possibility, because then it makes him three-dimensional, it makes him complex, and you hope some people in the audience are fighting for that. It’s part of Thor’s motivation. It’s part of what makes Thor a good character, because Thor is fighting for his brother back.
Of course, this is probably influenced by Journey into Mystery and now Young Avengers seems motivated by both JIM, Tom Hiddleston and fans.

Yes, I do like JIM and YA Loki a lot. I like the idea of being tormented by this whole other past and the tragedy of trying to be good but your character inherently isn't and no matter what you do, you either seem to screw up or it turns bad anyway...

Actuallly, I would love for the last Thor movie to be Ragnarok.

I didn't get to watch the video. what's he saying?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #341
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
I did use Magneto for a reason. At the end of the day/film/comic arc, he's still a villain. He will always be a villain BUT...

He can also align himself with what suits his outcome the most and use those resources to his advantage, whether that's with Mystique or Charles.

As a Trickster, Loki is even better at this. He can be partnered with Enchantress one week and the next, he's enlisting the help of Spider-Man to save his daughter from harm.

You seem to think Loki is one-dimensional. I suppose this is a matter of opinion. Certainly, as you pointed out, the older Loki comics were more one-dimensional, like the very first gathering of the Avengers with Hulk and the train...

But since the 90s, Loki has been more a trickster, capable of whatever suits him best at the time. This is still evil the majority of the time but Loki is one of the original archetypal tricksters. A trickster is not known for true evil as much as mischief. It's why one of the biggest smiles on his face in The Avengers was while watching the museum crowd running and screaming, like it was a prank.

Jack Sparrow is another Trickster example. Does he sometimes do the right thing? Yes? Is he more likely to do what suits him best while making others the fool? ABSOLUTELY

No, I don't want Loki to be a permanent good guy. That wouldn't be true and it would become boring. Would I like them to toy with and at least broach the idea of redemption?

Yes, and Tom Hiddleston agrees:

Of course, this is probably influenced by Journey into Mystery and now Young Avengers seems motivated by both JIM, Tom Hiddleston and fans.

Yes, I do like JIM and YA Loki a lot. I like the idea of being tormented by this whole other past and the tragedy of trying to be good but your character inherently isn't and no matter what you do, you either seem to screw up or it turns bad anyway...

Actuallly, I would love for the last Thor movie to be Ragnarok.

I didn't get to watch the video. what's he saying?
No. I don't think Loki is one dimensional. Villains who aren't are better. My point is that Loki wont, and shouldn't become " a good guy", which is what I thought you were implying

Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #342
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Loki is for all intents and purposes a very mercurial character in that you just don't know what side he's on. He's not very consistent on where his allegiances lie. It's all about what benefits Loki the most whether it's for good or evil.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #343
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Loki is for all intents and purposes a very mercurial character in that you just don't know what side he's on. He's not very consistent on where his allegiances lie. It's all about what benefits Loki the most whether it's for good or evil.
I'm aware, but I thought she was saying point blank, that since Loki has been evil enough, that he will become good in this movie, not for selfish twisting needs, but for the sake of just being good again and to redeem himself with his family, and be good. i thought THATS what she was saying. And I was saying that, that's not who loki is. at the end of the day, loki does what loki wants for his own plans and benefits, regardless of who it affects. he tricked thor into killing his grandfather for heaven's sake lol

Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #344
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

You know, I was just thinking of this, and I wager that Tom Hiddleston would be game, but wouldn't it be neat if Loki made an appearance on the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series, you know, just to see how things are going for Nick Fury's team out of curiosity and maybe stir up a little trouble. Maybe they can even have Loki turn a street into Ice Cream like Tom has wanted to do, maybe show that Loki isn't all evil by doing this act of magic for a kid being bullied or something. I do think you can get away with that level of silliness on T.V. more than in a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I'm aware, but I thought she was saying point blank, that since Loki has been evil enough, that he will become good in this movie, not for selfish twisting needs, but for the sake of just being good again and to redeem himself with his family, and be good. i thought THATS what she was saying. And I was saying that, that's not who loki is. at the end of the day, loki does what loki wants for his own plans and benefits, regardless of who it affects. he tricked thor into killing his grandfather for heaven's sake lol
I think that reaction, to want Loki to be good, is wholly from the fangirls who hate seeing him doing terrible things and just want him to be the nice guy. I can understand where that emotion is coming from because it's like they want to fix the bad boy and turn him good again. It's a natural female response, especially with MCU Loki and the crushes a million girls have on him. I bet you there are a myriad of fanfictions somewhere that have the writers fixing Loki but I digress. But realistically as a character Loki is plotwise to the series unfixable to a large degree. I understand where your frustration comes from because in the comics he is incorrigible and will do things that only benefit his own ambitions, hence why I posted what I posted.

P.S. Oh, and here's something that I don't get, why is everyone who comes in contact with him in person, via his Twitter or otherwise, *ahem* Tumblr *ahem* so possessive of Tom Hiddleston like he's their exclusive privately owned property?

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 03-30-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #345
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Actually, since Tom Hiddleston's normal appearance and demeanour is so different from Loki, I thought it would be interesting to have Hiddleston play a completely different guest character, like a geeky intern on their first case or something.

However, I do like your point of the series perhaps being able to get away with a little more silliness than a film. I have wondered how much silliness would be in SHIELD since Whedon's television work has grown progressively darker and there is a definite backlash about "silliness" from the fanboys as evidenced by the hatred of Ultimate Spider-Man which features SHIELD heavily.

If USM hadn't already had 2 episodes where Loki tried to kill Parker, I'd want them to have an episode based on the Tess Black issue, but I don't see that happening.

Fangirls get possessive fairly easily and quickly, it's not just Tom but also anyone who's ever in Supernatural and most of the Glee cast among others.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #346
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Hah hah...I was thinking how funny it would be if normal Tom were to have a scene with himself as Loki. That would make a really funny Youtube type Green Screen skit in general with Tom being able to get as silly as he wanted with it. I'd love to see what Tom would come up with as a duel of the fates between himself and Loki. Though that would fuel way too many Loki/Tom Hiddleston Slash fanfictions.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 03-31-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #347
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

heh reading your posts, one would think Loki/Tom is a one man Beatles.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #348
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
heh reading your posts, one would think Loki/Tom is a one man Beatles.
For all intents and purposes I think you might be right! As long as there are budding female hormones there will always be screaming, crying, crazed fangirls for good looking male celebrities. God, now you've got me thinking of some of Tom's characters he's played representing each of the Beatles.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #349
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
For all intents and purposes I think you might be right! As long as there are budding female hormones there will always be screaming, crying, crazed fangirls for good looking male celebrities. God, now you've got me thinking of some of Tom's characters he's played representing each of the Beatles.
beatle mania, the first fangirls lol

Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #350
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

You know, in terms of fangirl beginnings I'm thinking that Elvis might have started that or maybe even Rick Nelson.

And lol, this is quite fangirlish but I decided to post this for you guys to get a chuckle out of it. Anyways, I was thinking of the most fangirlish thing to say in here and this is what I've come up with:

(In wispy, puberty infused wistful voice) Mrs. Tom Hiddleston...I like the sound of that.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 04-01-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Closed Thread