The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #101
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Will this really be a better film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't think they are all the same. Its not like the Dark Knight Trilogy that it felt like all the films were different by 1 director and the crew for all of the films didn't change.

With X1/X2, you could see there's a difference with the tone of the movie. X1 was more serious/dark while X2 was more adventurous/thrilling and fun. Then if you compare X3 to the first 2 movies, X3 was more action-oriented and light and filled with over the top emotional scenes. Then with First Class, it was kinda campy and comic-booky compare to the original trilogy. And with Origins, the look of the movie just looked cheap, it definitely didn't look expensive compare to X3, well X3 was filmed nicely.
I'm not talking about tone though, all the movies have a fairly cohesive look to them.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #102
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Origins didn't look the same compare to the original trilogy. Like I said the movie looked cheap and it wasn't filmed very well. Plus it had the brown-color effect.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #103
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I'm not talking about tone though, all the movies have a fairly cohesive look to them.
I don't agree with that either. I feel that the technical aspects of the cinematography and things like color tinting and such are different for all 5 movies.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #104
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I'm so happy that I'm not such a negative Nancy when it comes to the X-Men films, and that I have FIVE incredible films to watch and enjoy, and a "resemblance" to X-Men Origins: Wolverine doesn't "worry" me in the least bit.
Disliking something that you enjoyed doesn't make someone a 'negative nancy'.
Especially if it's something that's pretty much universally reviled.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wolverine/

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #105
chaseter
Bland User

Remember when Wolverine chopped the ladder in Origins!? HAHAHAHAHAHA

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #106
runningman3000
Side-Kick

I will wait for the first round of reviews "Mainly because of Last Stand and origins". It all comes down to execution, execution, execution. How well I'm emotionally along for the ride and not criticizing the film while I watch the movie.

runningman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #107
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Remember when Wolverine chopped the ladder in Origins!? HAHAHAHAHAHA
Yeah that was awful!

I don't think James Mangold would let a scene like that make the final cut for this film.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #108
chaseter
Bland User

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #109
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
Disliking something that you enjoyed doesn't make someone a 'negative nancy'.
Especially if it's something that's pretty much universally reviled.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wolverine/
No, but incessantly nitpicking every little minute detail of a 2 minute trailer, and STILL complaining about a movie 4-7 years later, depending on which one we're talking about, is.

Also, you can keep your Rotten Tomatoes links. I couldn't possibly care less about reviews when forming an opinion about a film.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #110
chaseter
Bland User

What's the opposite? Positive Patty?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #111
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I need this as an avatar.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #112
runningman3000
Side-Kick

runningman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #113
chaseter
Bland User

Floating claws!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #114
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Continuing the theme of today's trailer release for The Wolverine, I shall watch X-Men Origins: Wolverine on BluRay. And happiness shall be had by all.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #115
James_Smith
Banned User

Quote:
I'm so happy that I'm not such a negative Nancy when it comes to the X-Men films, and that I have FIVE incredible films to watch and enjoy, and a "resemblance" to X-Men Origins: Wolverine doesn't "worry" me in the least bit.
Same! I've enjoyed every single X-Men movie so far and can't wait for the next two.

James_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #116
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It looks nothing like the way Mangold was describing it. Didn't he say 'film noir'?! lol
Yeah I had the same reaction since seeing those few first screenshots.

It will probably be better than Origins but that's not saying much. Apart from being badly made, I just thought that the premise of the movie itself was flawed to start with. They made three movies about Wolverine as a man with mysterious, unknown past and actually had him give up his chance to learn more about his past. It all added enigma and intrigue to the character. Showing his past basically stripped all that away.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #117
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, but incessantly nitpicking every little minute detail of a 2 minute trailer, and STILL complaining about a movie 4-7 years later, depending on which one we're talking about, is.

Also, you can keep your Rotten Tomatoes links. I couldn't possibly care less about reviews when forming an opinion about a film.
You can dislike and discuss aspects of the trailer, and not be a 'negative nancy'.
You can also bring up a movie years later and talk about how you're displeased with it if it's germane to the discussion (which, what do you know, it is) and also not be a negative nancy.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #118
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Yeah I had the same reaction since seeing those few first screenshots.

It will probably be better than Origins but that's not saying much. Apart from being badly made, I just thought that the premise of the movie itself was flawed to start with. They made three movies about Wolverine as a man with mysterious, unknown past and actually had him give up his chance to learn more about his past. It all added enigma and intrigue to the character. Showing his past basically stripped all that away.
But this is exactly how it was dealt with in the books.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #119
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It looks nothing like the way Mangold was describing it. Didn't he say 'film noir'?! lol
To be fair, we've only seen bits and pieces from the film here and there. We haven't seen enough of it to get a full grasp of what the tone is going to be. For all we know, the majority of film's tone could be "film noir" with a bunch of action scenes peppered throughout.

Also, if you look at some of the screencaps posted in one of the other threads, there looks to be some "film noir" style shots (Logan spying on Shingen, Logan in the rain with Mariko, etc.). Same with some of the publicity shots that have been released.

If there's anything that I've learned, it's that trailers can sometimes be very deceiving.

5-.-2-.-14

Last edited by TheWiseGuy487; 03-29-2013 at 12:38 AM.
TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #120
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
To be fair, we've only seen bits and pieces from the film here and there. We haven't seen enough of it to get a full grasp of what the tone is going to be. For all we know, the majority of film's tone could be "film noir" with a bunch of action scenes peppered throughout.

If there's anything that I've learned, it's that trailers can sometimes be very deceiving.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Love the movie. Still probably my favorite of the series (if not this one, then "X-Men: First Class"), but by far the most deceptive trailer I've ever seen. The movie advertised in the trailer is not the movie that we got. If we got the movie advertised in this trailer, we would have had the single greatest superhero movie ever made hands down.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #121
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
That's true. However, while I can think of many occasions when an amazing trailer didn't lead to an amazing movie, I can't think of a time when an unininspiring trailer led to an amazing movie.

Despite that, I still keep my fingers crossed that the new Star Trek movie will have more to offer than what's in the trailer, and hopefully the same for this Wolverine movie.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #122
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
That's true. However, while I can think of many occasions when an amazing trailer didn't lead to an amazing movie, I can't think of a time when an unininspiring trailer led to an amazing movie.
I know several people that seemed unimpressed with the First Class trailers and were blown away from the actual movie. I myself liked the trailers but that's just one example of people being uninspired by the trailer and amazed by the movie. Also I thought the early trailers for Avengers looked kind of unimpressive.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #123
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
I know several people that seemed unimpressed with the First Class trailers and were blown away from the actual movie. I myself liked the trailers but that's just one example of people being uninspired by the trailer and amazed by the movie. Also I thought the early trailers for Avengers looked kind of unimpressive.
I did too, actually, especially the teaser trailer. I remember being worried by the Transformers-like opening, lackluster action pieces, and unimpressive sets, not to mention the cheesy music. It didn't capture the fun or scope of the final product at all.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #124
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Love the movie. Still probably my favorite of the series (if not this one, then "X-Men: First Class"), but by far the most deceptive trailer I've ever seen. The movie advertised in the trailer is not the movie that we got. If we got the movie advertised in this trailer, we would have had the single greatest superhero movie ever made hands down.
I don't think the trailer was that misleading

Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #125
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Got to admit I was also a little underwhelmed by the trailer. I liked that it clearly has a plot (as opposed to the last film) but I was anticipating some more style in the imagery. Maybe the film as a whole will look fine, but the visuals weren't grabbing me like I hoped they would.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote