The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 08-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #51
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Default Re: The Joker A Reality?

also i think the joker has a supernatural element to him, which is obviously a big draw back to real life.

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #52
Freakzter
Goonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace o knaves View Post
sorry i had to bump this, but i just think there is no way someone could pull off the stuff joker did. its impossible. yea someone could dress up like him, cut there cheeks, wear make-up and blow up a few buildings and kill some people. but there is more to the joker than that, hes like a ghost popping up where and when he pleases.

The ingredient missing would be high intelligence. It's clear that The Joker is extremely brilliant. As you stated, anybody could dress up as him and kill some people, some may even have the financial resources to commit large-scale crimes, and a few may even be legally insane, but almost nobody can do/be all these AND have the foresight and thinking pattern The Joker has.

Terrorists come close tho.

Freakzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #53
Freakzter
Goonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I am getting pretty bored with this "The Joker couldnt exist in reality" arguement. Its always the same. Clown Killer? Impossible! John Wayne Gacy did it. Oh...um...well...those scars! He couldnt hide! John Wayne Gacy had something more identifiable than scars...a previous conviction for child molestation. Thats when people pull out the "yeah, but John Wayne Gacy didnt screw with the mob and didnt attempt to kill the DA, so The Joker still could not exist!!". No one has ever killed in the name of candy bars either, but it could happen. Everything The Joker did has been done, more or less...Charles Manson ( and others) had goons and many people have assassinated political figures. It is possible for a person like The Joker to exist.
Yea, they have all done something the joker did, but nobody does EVERYTHING. The joker is like, all of them put together. Serial Killer + Criminal + Terrorist = The Joker.

I think the only thing that can make a Joker possible is a Gotham City. I'm not sure an abnormal criminal could succeed in a normal universe. But I don't think it's impossible, just improbable.

I really like this debate's topic, but there's alot to consider x_X

Old 08-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #54
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

yea i don't think there are any cities as corrupt and ripe for the picking as Gotham. most of the jokers "plans" could only be pulled off in a city such as Gotham.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #55
Dark Globe
Side-Kick

I think it's extremely possible for someone like The Joker to exist. It's just a matter of what would it take to push someone that far. Who would go as far as to dress up in a purple suit and wear makeup?

Dark Globe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #56
Freakzter
Goonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Globe View Post
I think it's extremely possible for someone like The Joker to exist. It's just a matter of what would it take to push someone that far. Who would go as far as to dress up in a purple suit and wear makeup?
How is it EXTREMELY possible? Things that are extremely possible happen all the time. Never in our history has anything like the joker happened. I'm pretty sure the possibility is extremely slim, else it wouldve already happened. There's too much to consider, too many factors that would have to be just right in order to concoct a Joker.

The average "person that's been pushed too far" just goes on a short killing spree and then kills themselves. the Joker is not an example of someone who has been merely pushed to his limit and nothing else :/

member of:

.::Clowns Of The Joker::.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 AM   #57
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

yea theres no way its extremely possible to have a actual real life joker, infact i think its impossible to have a real life joker. yea someone could cut themself ear to ear, wear clown make-up and a purple suit. hell they could even go round killing cops and blowing things up, but that isn't the real joker. the real joker is like a wraith, a supernatural being who can just pop up whereever and whenever he wants. also i don't think there is a city in the world as corrupt as gotham and most of the jokers "plans" would only work in a city as corrupt as gotham.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #58
Freakzter
Goonette

Quote:
yea theres no way its extremely possible to have a actual real life joker, infact i think its impossible to have a real life joker. yea someone could cut themself ear to ear, wear clown make-up and a purple suit. hell they could even go round killing cops and blowing things up, but that isn't the real joker. the real joker is like a wraith, a supernatural being who can just pop up whereever and whenever he wants. also i don't think there is a city in the world as corrupt as gotham and most of the jokers "plans" would only work in a city as corrupt as gotham.
well, because the joker doesn't have any superpowers, i think it's just highly improbable that he can exist, but not impossible. everything that he does and is, IS possible, just not likely. like the batman.

member of:

Last edited by Freakzter; 08-15-2008 at 03:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #59
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

yea but if you think about it is there really a city out there as corrupt and in such a state as gotham? (well london is in a state!! but not as bad as gotham) like how does he manage to get a whole hospital wired to explode? how does he manage to get two ferries wired to explode without anyone noticing? how does he manage to sneak poison into a police commishoners bourbon? yea there is some corrupt cities out there but no way as corrupt as gotham.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 AM   #60
laudanum09
romantysanthrope

considering the context of the story where the mob have fingers in many city pockets, then the joker hijacks the mob and mob resources and combines them with his own little militia of psychos. with mob resources and informants, the joker himself does not even need to do everything on his own, he just needs to be smart enough to orchestrate the blueprints.

and now considering that, of course villains exist in the world as people have been saying, so I dont really think theres a need to consider the possibility of a supervillain a la the joker ever emerging and doing more than causing a city some chaos. people are already doing just as horrible things if not on a wider scale.

if you take away the joker's aesthetic and personality his actions are sheer terrorism, calculated, with a sort of maniacally intelligent blueprint. If Bin Laden or Bush wore purple and makeup, were quick witted and manipulative and with a somewhat charismatic personality, then they wouldnt be too different from the joker if not worse.

"I don't want to know what goes on in the Joker's head. I have to know. But when I imagine how it must feel to be him, I think of a snake with a broken back, flipping and tracing intricate, agonized arabesques in the dust."
-Batman, RIP #678
laudanum09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:59 AM   #61
Freakzter
Goonette

Quote:
yea but if you think about it is there really a city out there as corrupt and in such a state as gotham? (well london is in a state!! but not as bad as gotham) like how does he manage to get a whole hospital wired to explode? how does he manage to get two ferries wired to explode without anyone noticing? how does he manage to sneak poison into a police commishoners bourbon? yea there is some corrupt cities out there but no way as corrupt as gotham.
There might be, and it just hasn't been exploited yet. Even if there isnt, we can't say that there never will be. consider the fact that there are many possibilities today that where thought to be pure sci-fi or fantasy 50 years ago.

as for the hospital scene, they made it pretty clear that he had corrupt officials working for him everywhere. the joker is insanely brilliant, chances are he had been rigging it for weeks by using insiders, knowing that one day the ability to blow it up to could serve as leverage. the fact that his whole "getting arrested" part was on purpose, proves that he is masterful at thinking ahead and tricking people into falling for an illusion.

same thing with the ferries. we have no idea how much time he had to prepare before the event. and he's got a legion of workers in different areas. with his mind, he couldve worked out how to pull it off. im sure if i spent days thinking on this and researching ferries and their schedules, i could figure out how to get enough oil barrels into them to make them explode. i mean, there was also a time where people would not have believed it was possible for terrorists to board planes with all our "security." everything is possible, all rules are breakable, all forces can be taken down. they just need the right circumstances. the circumstances actually occurring is the problem. they exist, so its not impossible. but they are not present, and cannot be summoned. thus making them improbable.

the commissioner couldve easily been poisoned by one of his own corrupt officer working for the mob, who were in turn working for joker.

member of:

Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 AM   #62
Freakzter
Goonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by laudanum09 View Post
if you take away the joker's aesthetic and personality his actions are sheer terrorism, calculated, with a sort of maniacally intelligent blueprint. If Bin Laden or Bush wore purple and makeup, were quick witted and manipulative and with a somewhat charismatic personality, then they wouldnt be too different from the joker if not worse.
yea but thats the thing. all major criminals and terrorists of the past have had a "if only they _____" attached at the end when comparing them to the joker. they are always one or two traits away from being a 'villain.' nobody covers ALL jokers traits.

member of:

Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 AM   #63
Joker
Banned User

While not on the same level as the Joker, if Ted Bundy had bigger plans than "rape, kill, and then have sex with the bodies of young girls" he could have probably been a real life version of the Joker. He was charming, serene, charismatic, and a monster. He even escaped from jail, in broad daylight, and was only caught cause he got sloppy when he resumed killing (in Florida, he moved across the country from the west coast).

If you were to take someone like him, and give him the drive of someone like a Charles Manson or Osama Bin Laden, you could easily have a real life Joker.

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:06 AM   #64
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

there are some good points on this thread, and yea i'm starting to lean more to the improbable not impossible side. but to be honest if someone as dangerouse as the joker was real he would just be shot dead, not locked up.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 AM   #65
Dark Globe
Side-Kick

You know what, I'll become the real life Joker just to prove you guys wrong. You''ll see, I'll show you.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #66
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

lol well i'll look forward to it! but i'm afraid we'll all just see you in a body bag!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #67
Freakzter
Goonette

yea thats the only thing. EVEN if someone could totally become the joker, the insanity plea would not save them in this universe. he definitely would be shot dead or be sent to jail for life. unless of course, he really was %100 The Joker, and had a team of extremely good laywers to defend him and vouch for his legal insanity, like in the comics.

member of:

Old 08-15-2008, 04:38 AM   #68
Freakzter
Goonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Globe View Post
You know what, I'll become the real life Joker just to prove you guys wrong. You''ll see, I'll show you.
prove who wrong? we are all agreeing that its possible lol, just not likely.

anyway, i'd totally support u lol.

member of:

Old 08-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #69
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

i still think he'd just be shot dead. they'd send the SAS or Delta Force after him or summin.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #70
Dark Globe
Side-Kick

Quote:
i still think he'd just be shot dead. they'd send the SAS or Delta Force after him or summin.
I'm not as dumb as I look. I would study the law before I break it. I'd go to law school and everything.

How do you think the Zodiac got away with it? It was pretty obvious he knew crime labs and everything like the back of his hand in his day.

Really though, I couldn't take a life.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #71
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:

Because that worked so well with International Terrorists?C'mon, there have been plenty of High Profile Psycho-Sociopaths along the lines of the Joker before (look at guys like Bin Laden, Carlos The Jackal, Pablo Escobar), just not to the same high profile clownish level. they just have their own self-rational reasons to cause grief and pain (religious fervor, money, self excitement) There is no limit to crazy, guys. "The Joker" type of high profile psycho-sociopath hasn't been seen to the level we seen in TDK, but there are guys that far gone out there.

Gacy, Bundy, these serial killer guys were cowards, rapists, and perverts. Even spree killers are not the same deal. The Joker has no psycho-sexual motivations, he just wants to drag society down and make everything as crazy as he is. He's a true Terrorist whose goal is breakdown of society, and to have a good laugh.

Last edited by Nivek; 08-15-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #72
Crashley

In my debate class this year we got into a discussion whether terrorists were social activists. I was the only one who actually believed they weren't, and used the Joker (a terrorist IMO) as reference to support my standpoint. For he had no definite predetermined plan to gain a specific outcome, while activists clearly have a goal they want to achieve. To use this as evidence the Joker in some way must be founded in reality.

Anyway I was just wondering if my viewpoint is valid to others, or if my classmates were right in saying I've become too obsessed with batman.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #73
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

BUMP

here is the link

Someone who tried to do what Joker did and almost got away with it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18937513

spider_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #74
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradyme View Post
The thing about the Joker is that he was more like a criminal mastermind I mean a brilliant, evil force. To pull off some of the stuff he did would take a lot of planning.
Also, one would have to make sure his DNA/records, etc, are nowhere to be found

Which was not realistic at all in TDK

Just_Human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #75
OutRiddled
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_shadow View Post
BUMP

here is the link

Someone who tried to do what Joker did and almost got away with it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18937513
Just a pawn.

The real Joker:

(Well actually, he's a pawn too but who knows who is really pulling the strings?)

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote