Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #776
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: THE WOLVERINE Trailer Thread - First Full Teaser Online March 27th

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I haven't seen Floating Weeds. Though I've seen Yojimbo as well as the Dollars trilogy (which is really great to compare with a Fistful of Dollars).
I think that is the disconnect here. If you are familiar with Ozu, then I think you would have better understanding of why those words and images don't really match.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Though I think this would mostly refer to Logan's personal journey and relationship with Mariko.

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd entirely agree with you on the action. The train sequence certainly, but I think the fight with Silver Samurai looks quite good and I'm reserving my judgement of the ninja and funeral fight scenes until I've seen the actual film or more trailers showcase more of it that I'm comfortable with judging them.
Well I am not really talking quality here as much as the idea behind the action.

3:10 to Yuma wasn't actually that far off of something like the Dollars trilogy. Capable and efficient killers, with a bit of movie swagger.

Quote:
I think we've also got to keep in mind that there is a difference between 'inspiration' and 'like for like'. We should also keep in mind that those movies weren't starring comic book characters like Wolverine (sorry, had to go there). I still think large action set pieces are to be expected and actually wanted by the audience.
Then why say it? Especially when you consider it seem the previous director seemed to be pushing such a vision.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 03-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #777
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101 View Post
Regarding #15 and #16... in #15 they ask why Wolverine doesn't have blood on his claws since he subsequently lost his regeneration (getting shot and feeling the pain) but in #16, if you pause it at the right moment you can see blood covering his claws.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #778
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

I just watched the trailer. It look alright, but it doesn't exactly blow me away the way the Iron Man 3 or Star Trek Into Darkness trailers have so far. Definitely going to see this when it comes out, but DoFP is still the X-Men film I am waiting for/talking with people about. I am hoping this film surprises me.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #779
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I think that is the disconnect here. If you are familiar with Ozu, then I think you would have better understanding of why those words and images don't really match.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I think I see what you're saying. That looks more like ponderous drama/romance. Possibly a tragic one? I'm not sure, it's late at night for me and I didn't exactly give it my full attention.

Quote:
Though I think this would mostly refer to Logan's personal journey and relationship with Mariko.
That's what I'm thinking. She was shown in the trailer, but it wasn't exactly the highlight or centrepiece. Also I would suggest that not every influence is necessarily going to be apparent in the trailer (especially if the possible subject it's applied to is seen in fleeting glimpses). I think we're only going to be able to really judge whether these influences were successfully translated once we've seen the movie.

Quote:
Then why say it? Especially when you consider it seem the previous director seemed to be pushing such a vision.
You're acting like I just turned round and said "and you actually expected any of that?". What I'm trying to say is that there would only be so much of those concepts you could apply to a film like Wolverine which originates from comics and is more often associated other genres. Not that it would totally absent.

Plus if he's citing 'this, this and that' then there's probably going to be some dilution there even if it wasn't a Wolverine film. Like I said there's a difference between 'inspiration' and 'like for like'. It could be more the case that we see something that's reminiscent in parts, but not as though he set the whole movie as it were a modernised Yojimbo or what have you.

I can't speak for Aronofsky because there is very little evidence for what he was going for and there's no confirmation that the supposed outline for the script he was working on that supposedly leaked onto the net was real. And if I recall right it was said that the script is about 85% the same as when Aronofsky was on board.

Also like you say Mangold seems to be saying one thing and offering another in your eyes. Can you honestly tell me that this same situation wouldn't be playing out if Aronofsky was still on board? We have no proof how much of a departure from his version this may be.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.

Last edited by The Infernal; 03-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #780
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think I see what you're saying. That looks more like ponderous drama/romance. Possibly a tragic one? I'm not sure, it's late at night for me and I didn't exactly give it my full attention.

That's what I'm thinking. She was shown in the trailer, but it wasn't exactly the highlight or centrepiece. Also I would suggest that not every influence is necessarily going to be apparent in the trailer (especially if the possible subject it's applied to is seen in fleeting glimpses). I think we're only going to be able to really judge whether these influences were successfully translated once we've seen the movie.
That is fair. But I think it is safe to say none of that was present in the trailer either.

Quote:
You're acting like I just turned round and said "and you actually expected any of that?". What I'm trying to say is that there would only be so much of those concepts you could apply to a film like Wolverine which originates from comics and is more often associated other genres. Not that it would totally absent.

Plus if he's citing 'this, this and that' then there's probably going to be some dilution there even if it wasn't a Wolverine film. Like I said there's a difference between 'inspiration' and 'like for like'. It could be more the case that we see something that's reminiscent in parts, but not as though he set the whole movie as it were a modernised Yojimbo or what have you.
Inspiration implies something. Just look at the comic in which the story for this film itself was inspired. The perfect example of being inspired by something, and incorporating it to work with the character.

Quote:
I can't speak for Aronofsky because there is very little evidence for what he was going for and there's no confirmation that the supposed outline for the script he was working on that supposedly leaked onto the net was real. And if I recall right it was said that the script is about 85% the same as when Aronofsky was on board.

Also like you say Mangold seems to be saying one thing and offering another in your eyes. Can you honestly tell me that this same situation wouldn't be playing out if Aronofsky was still on board? We have no proof how much of a departure from his version this may be.
I am not saying Mangold is lying. I can believe that is his vision. But that doesn't mean it is the movie we are going to get.

And I think it is safe to say this wouldn't be the same situation if Aronofsky was still on board, for better or worse. Mainly because that is why I don't think he ended up directing it. He had a vision, and FOX has to play.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #781
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
That is fair. But I think it is safe to say none of that was present in the trailer either.
Depends on what elements. I'm still trying to imagine what the funeral scene or the fight with SS in the house may look like in full. Maybe even the ninja scene (at a stretch) I can't say definitively without seeing the movie. These scenes are clearly out of context and just there for building interest.

Quote:
Inspiration implies something. Just look at the comic in which the story for this film itself was inspired. The perfect example of being inspired by something, and incorporating it to work with the character.
Well you feel there's nothing there, which is fine. I'm just saying that apart from the train sequence I can see there may be potential for the influences to be felt in other places like the SS fight that might be more apparent in the movie. Like you say yourself when you correlate the Floating Weeds to the Mariko storyline. Whether that's actually absent or just not clearly conveyed by the trailer is another thing.

I think as far as the comic goes there are things we can identify as being from the story line it is adapting. It still looks somewhat faithful to me (at least speaking from what I'm aware of the comic, not having read it).

Quote:
I am not saying Mangold is lying. I can believe that is his vision. But that doesn't mean it is the movie we are going to get.
I'm not saying you're saying that either.

Quote:
And I think it is safe to say this wouldn't be the same situation if Aronofsky was still on board, for better or worse. Mainly because that is why I don't think he ended up directing it. He had a vision, and FOX has to play.
Well it has been said why Aronofsky left. Until we hear evidence otherwise it's just speculation and right now all I'm aware is that the script is largely the same.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #782
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Doesn't look god awful. I might watch it some day.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #783
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I just watched the trailer. It look alright, but it doesn't exactly blow me away the way the Iron Man 3 or Star Trek Into Darkness trailers have so far. Definitely going to see this when it comes out, but DoFP is still the X-Men film I am waiting for/talking with people about. I am hoping this film surprises me.
I am total opposite.Love the wolverine trialer bt i am not blown away by Iron Man 3 or Star Trek trailers.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #784
SoNicRaDiATioN
Hooked On A Feeling

I was definitely disappointed by the trailer. It just had that too familiar/generic vibe throughout. It wasn't bad by any means, I just expected more. I believe we'll get a solid film based on Mangolds track record, but TDW now supplants The Wolverine for my most anticipated comic film of 2013.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #785
JP
Smelly

Yeah, not saying the trailer was bad in anyway, but Fox used to be kings of trailers. And with the way Mangold put this off so long because he wanted things to look their best, I was disappointed by too many things that didn't look their best. And yeah, both IM3 and Star Trek have continued to release amazing trailers with gorgeous cgi and epic scopes.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #786
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Well, the X3 trailers were good, and it was a bad movie. Maybe a disappointing trailer isn't a bad thing.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #787
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well I didn't think that the beginning of TDKR jived with the end of TDK either, I went kinda huh when it showed Bruce Wayne all shaggy and depressed. It felt rather contrived to me.

I guess that if the story they want to tell requires the hero to be at his low point, the makers will just disregard whatever doesn't really gel with it, regardless of whether it feels organic or not.
Just because a movie ends in a certain place doesn't mean that the sequel must pick up with that status quo. Things can happen with time and off screen and not always the way you imagine. I don't think the fact that sometime between X3 and The Wolverine, Logan realizes how much it hurts him as an immortal to see the people care for die like flies around him while he remains and that him killing Jean took a harder beating on his soul than he first thought, is that unnatural.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #788
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Another thing I liked about the trailer is that it didn't overemphasize a singular antagonist and was definitely keeping Logan's POV front and center. I prefer a good character drama to a CG spectacle epic. Maybe other people are looking for emphasize/stand-out villains and more CG? Wolverine doesn't appear out to save the world or beyond in this trailer, which isn't an instant problem for me. I dunno.

Definitely prefer this trailer to Iron Man 3's and Star Trek Into Darkness (the more recent ones), I'm still thinking about it days later which I can't say for the other two (helps that I'm an X-Men fan. REALLY disliked Origins though). Downloaded nice 1080p copies (one from Apple, one cruddy YouTube quality) of both trailers to play on my TV and I think it looks good except for that pesky train sequence. As for the movie itself, hope it turns out well enough to justify its existence.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 03-30-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #789
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Just because a movie ends in a certain place doesn't mean that the sequel must pick up with that status quo. Things can happen with time and off screen and not always the way you imagine. I don't think the fact that sometime between X3 and The Wolverine, Logan realizes how much it hurts him as an immortal to see the people care for die like flies around him while he remains and that him killing Jean took a harder beating on his soul than he first thought, is that unnatural.
But the audience doesn't see this change, so it doesn't feel natural. I too think going for a cure angle once again doesn't feel natural and goes over the same ground again.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #790
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

in other news...someone posted a link to an interview where Famke has absolutely no clue that she's in the trailer... she says she hasn't seen it and she thinks that what we saw was just...nothing...

Um...yeah...well lets see....ur wearing a white tank top...in a scene with WOlvie...how do u explain that?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #791
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath View Post
in other news...someone posted a link to an interview where Famke has absolutely no clue that she's in the trailer... she says she hasn't seen it and she thinks that what we saw was just...nothing...

Um...yeah...well lets see....ur wearing a white tank top...in a scene with WOlvie...how do u explain that?
She probably hasn't seen it and isn't sure if she's allowed to talk about it yet.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #792
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Yeah, it sounds like she's just having a laugh as well. It's likely she either can't say much or doesn't know much about the rest of the film (it is after all a cameo).

Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #793
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

What's the last thing she said on the topic, "I heard! I’m very excited about those rumours [laughs]."?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #794
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

Famke Janssen Confirms Absolutely Nothing About A Role In The Wolverine

So was that her in the teaser trailer?

Famke’s response was very, very coy.

“I knew you were going to try to dig in that one. I don’t know anything about Wolverine. I heard I was in some trailer, maybe, for a second. I don’t know,” she says.

“I haven’t seen the trailer yet,” she says, refusing to confirm anything. “I hear that there’s a flash of me, but maybe people are just imagining that. I don’t know.”

http://www.avengersite.com/famke-jan...-the-wolverine

Old 03-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #795
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

See thats the thing...after reading what she said, makes me think she's HIDING something about her role... makes me wonder if what I read on the IMDB boards makes sense in some way.... she's definitely hiding something...I can feel it. I think she's playing with our minds...you know... Phoenix like... lol.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #796
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Of course she's hiding something. It's just more that she's hiding conformation of what her role is about and what exactly that moment was and how it relates to Wolverine's character (most of which will be fairly obvious). She's not hiding that she's alive or back as the Phoenix. That would just be silly and needlessly complicate this film.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #797
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

Well... I guess we'll just have to wait it out until July...I suppose.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #798
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Or they didn't get Famke and that entire sequence is a CGI render.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #799
DarknessOfDeath
Saving the Galaxy...

That.

Makes my head want to explode.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #800
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

lol, I pictured you saying something like that.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Closed Thread