The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #551
Vengeance of Bane
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Foreign Film Thread.

A Bittersweet life & The Man from Nowhere. I highly recommend these films.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #552
childeroland
Side-Kick

Liked Wong Kar-Wai's The Grandmasters. Great action scenes, touching lead performances by Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi (her best in a while) and Zhang Jin as the villain.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #553
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoyed Hou Hsiao-Hsien's The Boys from Fengkuei. Youths who have just graduated spend their time drinking, fighting, one falling in love and losing his girl, while waiting for compulsory military service. Nostalgic, pain, remembrance. Very good.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #554
childeroland
Side-Kick

Yee Chin-yen's Blue Gate Crossing. Carefully made, light coming-of-age story about a young girl trying to decide between her male best friend and her may-or-maybe not destined girlfriend.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #555
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I recommend 3 fantastic films from the late great French director Louis Malle (from his early French period) : "The Thief of Paris" (with a young Jean Paul Belmondo in great form), "Murmur of the Heart", and my favorite "Lacombe Lucien."

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #556
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Just rewatched Vittorio De Sica 's "Marriage Italian Style" with Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni. Great film and Mastroianni with his pencil-thin moustache looks just like "Mandrake the Magician" and made me think of his abandoned film based on the comic that Fellini and him wanted to do

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #557
childeroland
Side-Kick

Going through Edward Yang. That Day, On the Beach really does deserve a region 1 release. Modernism without showing off, totally natural. Taipei Story, about a young woman fleeing her past -- and Taipei's -- is underrated even by his fans. A Brighter Summer Day really does deserve a place on those best-of-the-past-quarter-century lists it and Yi Yi are starting to pop up on.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #558
childeroland
Side-Kick

Add Yang's Mahjong to the underrated list. Funny crime drama that plays like something Tarantino might have written early in his career if he was soaked in Taiwanese culture.

Enjoyed Jia Zhangke's Xiao Wu. An especially low-level pickpocket doesn't manage to move on after all his friends have graduated to legit jobs or higher levels of crime, and he pays the consequences for it as China regains Hong Kong and cracks down on crime. Very funny film, until you think about all the implications of what you've just seen, and then it turns somewhat shocking.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #559
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^ Thanks for the infos, Childeroland. I haven't heard of a lot of the films you mention in this thread and you sure know a lot about Foreign films and Asian Cinema in particular

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #560
childeroland
Side-Kick

No problem, though I always feel like I'm trying to catch up on stuff I've missed, with Asian and other cinema (French, neorealism, etc).

Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #561
Ezio Auditore
Lord of Firenze

i would like to recommend two argentine (my country) movies that both have universal acclaim:

9 reinas (or nine queens)
el secreto de sus ojos (or the secret in their eyes)

Ezio Auditore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #562
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Just rewatched "Le Professionel" with Jean Paul Belmondo on Netflix, really fun old school French action movie with a Belmondo in great form.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #563
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoyed Gilles Bourdos's Renoir. Undramatic, but compelling. I wish they'd gone into Jean's years with Andree/Catherine after his father's death.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #564
childeroland
Side-Kick

26 minutes of B-Roll footage from the making of Three Colours.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #565
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

On NETFLIX today, I saw WOMAN IN THE MOON (1929) Directed by Fritz Lang.

This was the 162 minute DVD edition. As always....Lang was a genius.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #566
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Being a huge WW2 fanatic,my all time favorite foreign film is Der Untergang(2005). Bruno Ganz is amazing as Der Fuhrer. The greatest performance I've ever seen in that kind of role. I really love how Hitler is treated like a real human being with emotions,hopes and feelings and not just some ranting "evil" cartoon character.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #567
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Arjun: The Warrior Prince (2012) India, animated

Saw this today. Beautiful animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-R-Q0YRtQ

Last edited by C. Lee; 07-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.
C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #568
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Speaking of beautiful animation , I just watched recently a great animated film from China called "Uproar in Heaven."

http://youtu.be/qSV7041mZCw

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #569
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoyed Oshima's Pleasures of the Flesh. Classic loser murders a man who raped one of his students and gets blackmailed by the only witness into holding embezzled money while the embezzler serves a five year term for stealing the money. Eventually the ?hero? succumbs to his impulse to spend the money, planning to commit suicide when the money runs out. Then the embezzler and the student he avenged come looking for the money. Not as great as A Cruel Story or Night and Fog in Japan, but pretty decent film noir.

Last edited by childeroland; 07-27-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #570
childeroland
Side-Kick

Really liked The Berlin File. Sort of a South Korean Bourne Identity. Exciting, fast-paced. I couldn't follow the plot after one viewing, but this is very, very fun.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #571
childeroland
Side-Kick

The Unjust. A corrupt prosecutor uncovers a corrupt cop's scheme to frame a man for a series of child murders his department could not solve. Good stuff.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #572
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

"Death in Venice." (Visconti and Mahler, perfect match.)

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 07-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #573
childeroland
Side-Kick

Sinsegye. Another excellent South Korean crime film about an undercover cop who becomes henchman to the number 2 in his crime family just as his handler's case is splitting the mob up into rival factions.

Last edited by childeroland; 07-28-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #574
childeroland
Side-Kick

Enjoyed Chen Kaige's Yellow Earth. Does the whole revealing-characters-through-song thing Tsai Ming-liang used to try with films like The Hole, but better, working it into this story of a soldier dispatched to the countryside to gather happy folk songs promoting the Communist revolution and finding only misery and humanity in the music instead.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #575
childeroland
Side-Kick

Ysuo Furuhata's Poppoya. Nice little story about a railway stationmaster of a dying end-of-the-line village who is offered a cushy hotel job but cannot take it because his memories of his dead wife and daughter tie him to the railroad. Then he meets a young girl who reminds him of his daughter and she helps him to push on.