The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #926
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
Even with today's budget and technology, he looked like ****.

Ah, I see. I thought it was a dirty joke. I need to get my mind out of the gutter.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #927
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Because the 11-year gap would allow them to dismiss absences as due to the passage of time.
Ah The trepidation is understandable then.

Quote:
Indeed. And I knew it myself as soon as I wrote that sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
Even with today's budget and technology, he looked like ****.
DingDingDingDingDing

You get a Stan Lee No-Prize!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #928
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
DingDingDingDingDing

You get a Stan Lee No-Prize!
I'm simply honoured.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #929
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think X-Men fans have been far more tolerant and supportive than you give them/us credit for. Many of us are still here, still on these forums and still being excited about DoFP despite dips in quality like X3 and Origins and the many other questionable decisions taken along the way.

Avengers is not a holy grail but it did do a few things right. Not cluttering up the movie with cameos/fodder. Not having one person dominate at the expense of everyone else. Not creating love triangles that were in favour of a dominating character.

I feel certain that they had planned NO explanation for the absence of the key characters Banshee, Havok and Emma and that they hoped no one would care or remember and those who did would be expected to write it off as being due to the passage of time. I also feel pretty sure that those making the movie don't like this debate over the confirmed absence of Banshee, because they hoped no one would bring it up or dwell on it. They were relying on us not being bothered about it. Is it good filmmaking to rely on people not really caring? I would say not.

You only have to see the comment sections online - where the hardcore fanboys want Marvel to have the rights back - to realise that there are frustrations. If there were no such comments being made, then your points might be valid.
I understand what you're saying, I just didn't agree with the X3 developments that you mentioned. Even if you consider that bad film-making, Singer is not to blame since he didn't make X3 (or Origins). And it's true, the Avengers kept it concise and for the characters that were the focus, they were all done justice. That's why I love Joss Whedon! It's just a different beast.

The loss of Banshee and Havok could be interpreted as Singer trying to trim the cast. I don't think it was solely his decision to bring the two casts together. Fox must have been a little disappointed that the "preboot" didn't catch on with everyone so they probably asked for Wolverine (and maybe others) to be included in the next outing. And I imagine that's how DOFP got brought into the equation. So now they're left to trim the fat, so to speak.

I just think you shouldn't be too hasty to just say things will happen without adequate explanation... again, adequate is up to opinion. You said it yourself that the 11 years could be the explanation they end up using. I would be fine with that as long as they tie it in to what Xavier had (or had not) been doing in those years with respect to the school.

And yes, there are frustrations... ranging from understandable to obsessive. I would interpret most as obsessive (when compared to a "normal" moviegoer, of course), but again that's my opinion so I do think my points are valid.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #930
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I understand what you're saying, I just didn't agree with the X3 developments that you mentioned. Even if you consider that bad film-making, Singer is not to blame since he didn't make X3 (or Origins).
It's not bad filmmaking as such but it's not a seamless transition between X1/X2 and X3, partly because of the change in directors.

Quote:
The loss of Banshee and Havok could be interpreted as Singer trying to trim the cast. I don't think it was solely his decision to bring the two casts together. Fox must have been a little disappointed that the "preboot" didn't catch on with everyone so they probably asked for Wolverine (and maybe others) to be included in the next outing. And I imagine that's how DOFP got brought into the equation. So now they're left to trim the fat, so to speak.
I would guess that the somewhat disappointing/underperforming of First Class would indeed be a reason for DoFP to be taking shape the way it is. And that modest box office being low compared to the other X-Men movies would be one thing, but that modest box office against the performance of Avengers must have had Fox execs changing their underwear.

Quote:
I just think you shouldn't be too hasty to just say things will happen without adequate explanation... again, adequate is up to opinion. You said it yourself that the 11 years could be the explanation they end up using. I would be fine with that as long as they tie it in to what Xavier had (or had not) been doing in those years with respect to the school.
It has to be worth them considering what Xavier had been doing for 11 years.
He must have been doing something.

Firstly, he would need to have modifications done for his disability, such as elevators. He wouldn't really be able to find any students without Cerebro to track mutant runaways/orphans etc, and he wouldn't be able to run a proper school without having more teaching staff. At what point did he/will he build a new Cerebro, have the lower levels modified the way we saw them in the original trilogy, and get a new X-jet? At what point does he decide an X-Men taskforce/team is necessary?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #931
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Banshee has a power we haven't seen before (apart from daughter Siryn shrieking like a burglar alarm in X2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac
What we have ended up with instead is a muddle. And with each film the writers/producers/director face the unholy choice of either trying to build upon the muddle of the previous film (creating a bigger muddle) or totally ignoring parts of the previous film because it's no longer workable (which still creates a muddle).
I couldn't agree with you more. It doesn't add up...it doesn't make sense. However, I think that eliminating Banshee and Havok (with or without explanation--I really don't think movie audiences got attached to either character to really care one way or the other) is the lesser of two creative evils. And yet so many fans here want to cleave to this existing franchise and continue to make work what is clearly no longer "workable" as you put it. You already know what I believe is the solution to this problem. But we won't go there again today.

#reboot

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 03-30-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #932
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Same with some of the more key characters such as Storm - it's a wonder she has made it into more than one movie without suddenly disappearing with no explanation. Don't you remember how the studio wanted Cyclops to have died off-screen between X2 and X3? And how it was rumoured that either the studio (or Singer, according to some accounts) wanted to omit Storm from X3 with no explanation?
Yes, I remember. It's interesting how Storm fans often believe that the character is not cared about by this studio/director/franchise, etc., and yet, as you've pointed out, she's actually gotten more development than the vast majority of X-Men characters in this series--and has survived from one film to the next.

It was only a few short weeks ago that many of us were stricken with panic that Storm might not appear in Days Of Future Past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac
Seriously, squandering these characters has to stop. Or we'll never get beyond Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine. Is that what you really want? Nothing more than Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine and some mutant wallpaper?
Well, you already know how I feel about this. But it IS what we have to work with, unfortunately.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #933
Manic X
Side-Kick

How can you guys be upset over not having Banshee, Havok, Emma, Riptide, Angel etc. in this movie? The teenage 'xmen' and hellfire club were the worst parts of First Class. McAvoy and Fassbender saved that movie.

DOFP is becoming more and more X4, and I'm loving it.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #934
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic X View Post
How can you guys be upset over not having Banshee, Havok, Emma, Riptide, Angel etc. in this movie? The teenage 'xmen' and hellfire club were the worst parts of First Class. McAvoy and Fassbender saved that movie.

DOFP is becoming more and more X4, and I'm loving it.

I won't speak for the others, but what I'm puzzled about (I wouldn't say I'm upset) is that if Havok and Banshee are not returning, then who are the X-Men in 1973? If Havok and Banshee were removed to make room for new characters, then it seems foolish to me that they'd go with introducing new characters rather than continue with these two. They may not have done or said much, but they were still part of FC and the audience must have some modicum of familiarity with them, much more than any new characters that would replace them.

Having said that, if a significant number of the future cast or younger versions of familiar characters join Beast, then, to me at least, Havok and Banshee's absence would be justified.

So basically:

A) Havok and Banshee out, new characters in
B) Havok and Banshee out, future cast in
C) Havok and Banshee out, Scott, Jean, and Storm in

Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #935
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

I think this whole thing with the characters from XMFC is not that big a deal.

I personally feel that the main X-Men from from X3, including Rogue, is needed. They were the last remnants of the X-Men in that film, so it'd make sense they'd appear again.

As far as the Brotherhood go, for the future/present, I'm fine with just Magneto appearing.

Past, Just Magneto and Mystique appearing is fine as well. It's already been established in this series that they basically operate by the mindset that everyone else in there group is expendable. And they were the main focus of the Brotherhood anyway, especially in X2.

Overall, for both sides, its better just not to introduce new characters who have joined the X-Men or the Brotherhood since we last saw them. It benefits the story more to just have characters that we already know, so we can just jump into the main conflict of the film.

As far as the X-Men in the past go, eh, its tricky. Maybe they should have brought Havok and Banshee back, but we'll see. it all depends on the story. I don't think they will be necessary.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 03-31-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #936
Lightning Strykez!

I started believing that Scott, Storm and Jean were going to be part of the 1970s team the instant that Halle Berry was cast for this film. Because bascially now all of the older, future X-Men (Xavier, Logan, Storm, Magneto) could have past counterparts, which would really up the ante to save their own future. This could be further solidified if Rebecca is cast opposite Jennifer Lawrence.

And since I'm pretty sure that Scott and Jean's deaths are on the list of things Bryan Singer regrets, if he also cast them in the past that could also open up doors to "fix s***" in the future.

But then again, tomorrow is April 1st and yet no new casting news...

Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #937
The Batman
The Dark Knight

....I'm not surprised about Banshee and most likely Havok not popping up.

When it comes to the X-Films, Fox only cares about Wolverine, Professor X, and Magneto. Mystique has been lucky: not only has her cinematic incarnation been a fan pleasing character, now she's being portrayed by an oscar winning actress, which is the same reason why Storm gets some scraps. Everyone else is either a walking special effect or a plot device used when the filmmakers wanna convey a specific idea, and they don't mind changing the character to suit their whims.

Also, I dont think Scott, Jean, and Ororo will pop up in the early 70's. Singer's OT is supposed to take place in the later part of the 2000's, and Xavier dosent find Scott and Jean until they late 70's/80's. Then again, there have been so many contradictions anyway.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #938
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
....I'm not surprised about Banshee and most likely Havok not popping up.

When it comes to the X-Films, Fox only cares about Wolverine, Professor X, and Magneto. Mystique has been lucky: not only has her cinematic incarnation been a fan pleasing character, now she's being portrayed by an oscar winning actress, which is the same reason why Storm gets some scraps. Everyone else is either a walking special effect or a plot device used when the filmmakers wanna convey a specific idea, and they don't mind changing the character to suit their whims.

Also, I dont think Scott, Jean, and Ororo will pop up in the early 70's. Singer's OT is supposed to take place in the later part of the 2000's, and Xavier dosent find Scott and Jean until they late 70's/80's. Then again, there have been so many contradictions anyway.
Indeed, since Xavier is still walking with a bald head when he meets a young Jean Grey in X-men TLS, but is paralyzed at the end of First Class with hair. I say keep young Jean, Cyclops, and Storm out to avoid more of these contradictions that will make watching all these films in order even more confusing.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #939
BMM
Side-Kick

As much as I enjoy Banshee and Havok, I'm not too bothered by their absences (unless, as Duran Man said, they introduce us to a slew of new mutants). The X-Men films have carried over every. single. X-Man from X-Men to X-Men: The Last Stand, dropping only Nightcrawler, and what happened? There wasn't enough time to properly develop them all. The film suffered, and fans complained. Now, they're seemingly trimming down less important characters to focus on the ones who do matter, and fans are complaining. It's a lose-lose situation, and I think it always will be.

Also, keep 1970s versions of Cyclops, Storm, and Jean out. This film is already balancing younger versions of Professor X, Magneto, Beast, and Mystique, as well as future versions of Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Iceman, and Colossus, with newcomers, Boo Boo Stewart, Fan BingBing, Omar Sy, as well as villains Peter Dinklage, the sentinels, and possibly Apocalypse. That is more than enough.

Last edited by BMM; 03-31-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #940
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

the young woman hired to play Blink, what all else has she been in?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #941
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Now, they're seemingly trimming down less important characters to focus on the ones who do matter, and fans are complaining.
It would be nice to believe that this is what they're aiming for.

What I think is likely to happen though is that they'll just bring in brand new secondary characters who will never be seen again outside of DoFP and who'll get little chance for any real development with everything else going on.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #942
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Yeah, I can't imagine there is going to be no 1970's X-Men theme after 10+ years of the school being open, which there can't be if Beast is the only X-Man still around. I have a feeling this is just going to lead to a bunch of background mutants, and if that's the case I'd rather they bring back characters that have already been established in a film instead of introducing guys just for their power set. I have no desire for any more X3 Psylockes or Multiple Mans.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.

Last edited by Deaths Head II; 03-31-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #943
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I wonder who, if any, real-life figures will be referenced in the film at all?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #944
magneto23
Side-Kick

Quote:
The X-Men films have carried over every. single. X-Man from X-Men to X-Men: The Last Stand, dropping only Nightcrawler, and what happened? There wasn't enough time to properly develop them all. The film suffered, and fans complained. Now, they're seemingly trimming down less important characters to focus on the ones who do matter, and fans are complaining. It's a lose-lose situation, and I think it always will be.
How are they "trimming down less important characters" when a character like Colossus is coming back? That guy had like 3 lines of dialogue over the course of the trilogy. He doesn't matter at all. At least a character like Banshee spoke. Why are Rogue and Kitty BOTH coming back? Neither of them are THAT important. Rogue especially since her "importance" dropped with each subsequent film.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #945
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Now, they're seemingly trimming down less important characters to focus on the ones who do matter, and fans are complaining. It's a lose-lose situation, and I think it always will be.
I think it's just a matter of fans wanting to see the characters living up to their potential. Very few characters have. Storm, Cyclops, Gambit, Rogue, Banshee, Emma, Havok, Colossus and Deadpool never really came close to having the proper development or adaption they deserve compared to their comic counterparts. Being 5 movies into a franchise there is no doubt they could have made many better decisions on how to take these characters in future films.

Not to say it won't be in DOFP's best intentions to ditch them, but letting go of some of the FC team is a bummer because that's more then likely all that will ever become of those characters. If they don't come back here it's probably safe to say thats it for them.

Last edited by def28; 04-01-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #946
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Also, keep 1970s versions of Cyclops, Storm, and Jean out. This film is already balancing younger versions of Professor X, Magneto, Beast, and Mystique, as well as future versions of Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Iceman, and Colossus, with newcomers, Boo Boo Stewart, Fan BingBing, Omar Sy, as well as villains Peter Dinklage, the sentinels, and possibly Apocalypse. That is more than enough.
I'm not too worried since I don't think Fan Bingbing, Omar Sy, and Booboo Stewart have super significant roles. In X2, there were peripheral speaking characters like the prison guard, the President, and Stryker's assault team leader. Characters like Nightcrawler, Pyro, and Deathstrike were supporting but had a few moments to shine. Some supporting characters even got too much focus (cough... Bobby... cough). So it was also a huge cast, but overall pretty balanced.

In DOFP, I figure the OT team really won't be developed much further but hopefully each will have at least a few scenes/character moments so we can get a sense of how they've grown from last we saw them. And of course the Sentinels!

The time traveler (or travelers) will probably have a significant role. That leaves the focus on McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, and Hoult in the 70s. Dinklage will be the main villain. And maybe a few surprise characters.

On a side note, I JUST remembered Angel Salvatore and how nobody has mentioned her character not returning hahahahaha!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #947
baldhellfire
New User - Level 0

hey, just reading wolverine and the xmen.

thought about the new movie - which I have just been reading about.....

Is the future past that is trying to be stopped the one from xmen, the last stand?

that would be a cool twist.

what think you.

Am new to the boards and posting so sorry if this has been a previos topic.

ps, thats a good cast.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #948
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

James Marsden's returns!!

http://x-menfilms.com/2013/04/01/ori...ters-revealed/

Please,now Famke Janssen!!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #949
Double B
Side-Kick

It's April 1st and has not been picked up by any other media.

Draw your own conclusions.

Quote:
Agree. This is not the film for them. Save them for FC3 where they can get the time/material they deserve. DOFP does not need the bloat.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #950
CyclopsSummers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
James Marsden's returns!!

http://x-menfilms.com/2013/04/01/ori...ters-revealed/

Please,now Famke Janssen!!
It's April 1st bro
Stewart as Avalanche ?? lol

Among old x-man, Cyclops, Jean, Angel and old Beast aren't confirmed yet.
Nightcrawler doesnt return

Closed Thread