The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #576
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Default Re: MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion

For some reason I see Cap 2 being a sleeper hit and being the best movie of Phase 2

Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #577
ChickenScratch
Banned User

The article from the main page is interesting to me.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...fantastic-four

The part that catches my eyes is here where they say:

To be directed by Chronicle's Josh Trank, Fantastic Four is targeted for release on March 6, 2015. Vaughn, who directed 2011's X-Men: First Class, is also producing the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past as well and, while nothing has been confirmed as of yet, it has been speculated that Fox could develop their Marvel properties for the same kind of crossover potential shown with Marvel's The Avengers.

Now I'm no expert on the Marvel U being mostly a DC guy, but I'm pretty sure Fox has control of a fair number of Marvel properties. Spider Man, X-Men, FF, just those lineups alone has a huge backup cast. But exactly how deep into the MCU does Fox reach? the X Men have a lot of characters.

How Many characters does Fox have? If they do this sort of build up to a big movie like the Avengers don't you think Fox is highly likely to screw it up? When is Disney gonna come in with the crazy Disney money and wrest the characters back from Fox ... if at all that's possible.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #578
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Sony has control of Spidey. Still, Fox has more than enough characters from X-men & Fantastic Four to create their own cinematic universe. And yes, I could see them screwing it up very easily. Doesn't matter to me because I don't really care about any of the characters that they have control over. And I don't see Fox selling ay characters to Disney no matter how much is offered. IMO, Disney should try to get the rights for Spider-man back first, but that's just personal bias, and is just as unlikely to happen.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #579
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Another failing brand looks bad on Disney even if there is a clear delineation that it's Fox. They could easily make Marvel look lame. The last X Men was good, but before that it was the second X Men, they miss more than they hit.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #580
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I wish Fox still had Daredevil. Because I don't think Marvel Studios is going to get to him for a long time.

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #581
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Another failing brand looks bad on Disney even if there is a clear delineation that it's Fox. They could easily make Marvel look lame. The last X Men was good, but before that it was the second X Men, they miss more than they hit.
Hmm, I've never really thought of that before. But are you so sure that the ignorance of the general audience in regards to rights and continuity would make such a big difference in their attitude towards strictly Marvel studios films? I mean, these are probably a lot of the same people that were surprised that Batman wasn't in the Avengers. To those kind of people, comic book movies are comic book movies. I think a dud from the X-men series is more likely to make the genre as a whole look bad (including Spider-man and DC characters).

Anyway, I don't really like any of the X-men films. They definitely have a bad hit to miss ratio.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #582
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
The article from the main page is interesting to me.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...fantastic-four

The part that catches my eyes is here where they say:

To be directed by Chronicle's Josh Trank, Fantastic Four is targeted for release on March 6, 2015. Vaughn, who directed 2011's X-Men: First Class, is also producing the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past as well and, while nothing has been confirmed as of yet, it has been speculated that Fox could develop their Marvel properties for the same kind of crossover potential shown with Marvel's The Avengers.

Now I'm no expert on the Marvel U being mostly a DC guy, but I'm pretty sure Fox has control of a fair number of Marvel properties. Spider Man, X-Men, FF, just those lineups alone has a huge backup cast. But exactly how deep into the MCU does Fox reach? the X Men have a lot of characters.

How Many characters does Fox have? If they do this sort of build up to a big movie like the Avengers don't you think Fox is highly likely to screw it up? When is Disney gonna come in with the crazy Disney money and wrest the characters back from Fox ... if at all that's possible.
In an situation Disney would have to pay a lot of money..maybe more than they are willing to pay.
Fox has all the X-men and FF characters.

However the main thing to think about is that Marvel isnt a big studio. They can't handle more than two or three major franchises at a time. Getting X-men and FF would strain their resources...sure they have Mickey Money to play with but that isnt always a good thing borrowing money from mom and dad. If they were to get X-men and FF back we wouldnt see them in movies for a long time.
So Disney is content to let Fox do movies and get a cut of the profits. Pretty much doing very little and getting paid.

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #583
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I am fairly certain that if the licensed movies really did terribly, it would put Disney in a position to invoke their lawyers and the "damage to the property" clause. At least, if they were horrible enough to actually pose a risk to the genre in general.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #584
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I am fairly certain that if the licensed movies really did terribly, it would put Disney in a position to invoke their lawyers and the "damage to the property" clause. At least, if they were horrible enough to actually pose a risk to the genre in general.
Geez...why didn't they invoke that clause for X-Men: Last Stand, Elektra, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Spider-Man 3, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

ゴジラ
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #585
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
However the main thing to think about is that Marvel isnt a big studio.
Marvel is essentially as big as they want to be. They haven't had a single film that couldn't be deemed a financial success, and they have plenty of money to play with considering the profits of their movies so far.

Quote:
They can't handle more than two or three major franchises at a time.
Not true. They could handle it financially. They are sticking to two films a year because they fear over-saturating the market, especially considering Sony and Fox are putting out Marvel films almost every year as well. If Sony and Fox weren't creating Marvel films, over-saturation wouldn't be as big of a concern.

Quote:
Getting X-men and FF would strain their resources...sure they have Mickey Money to play with but that isnt always a good thing borrowing money from mom and dad.
Disney owns Marvel Studios. Disney profits from Marvel Studio's success. If producing more films per year were deemed a profitable course of action, Disney would back it in any way possible because it means more money for them in the end. I'm not sure what you mean by "borrowing money" from Disney.

Quote:
If they were to get X-men and FF back we wouldnt see them in movies for a long time.
Again...not necessarily true. No reason why Marvel Studios wouldn't fill in the Marvel movie gap left by Fox if they got the rights back.

Quote:
So Disney is content to let Fox do movies and get a cut of the profits. Pretty much doing very little and getting paid.
Not getting paid as much as they would be if they produced the films themselves. They are getting as much of a cut as they are putting work into the films...which is, like you said, "very little".

ゴジラ
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #586
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

kaijunexus everything you said is true I've been saying Disney could produce up to four films a year if they had all of Marvel's properties back and still make a major profit while still expanding the MCU and still make their major franchises.

And Disney has no "clause" that could get them their properties back based on the quality of the film. There is no way one company can put an injunction on another company for making a bad quality product that tarnishes the genre as a whole. If that were the case we wouldn't have most of the bad quality films, music, shows, games etc that we do.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #587
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
Geez...why didn't they invoke that clause for X-Men: Last Stand, Elektra, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Spider-Man 3, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine?
Because those movies didn't rise ( fall ) to the level required. They were all movies made for commercial release with the intention of trying to make money. The clause, to my understanding, is more about bald-faced attempts to destroy the IP in question, such as making a Corman-style movie and releasing it. The studio in question has to at least pretend they are trying to commercialize the property, and not simply ruin it for the original owner. It has nothing to do with "damage to the genre", it has to do with showing good faith towards the IP usage contract.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #588
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...axy-suits-more

If What this articIe says is true and I'm sure it probably is then YES YES YES YES YES JANET!!!!!!!! Knew it and I called it Can't wait to see her She has the perfect Janet look
Oh and the Star-Lord cameo will be awesome

Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #589
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

So I'm reading trivia on The Avengers on IMDB and it made a speculation that I don't think I've seen mentioned before. Since Loki got his staff from the Chituri who in turn work for the Mad Titan what if his staff is powered by the Mind Gem being why he's able to control people's minds. It could be another thing setting up Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #590
Mr. Dent

I thought Loki could just naturally influence people. Didn't think of that.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #591
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Marvel Studios Slates Two Mystery Films For 2016 and 2017

Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios have set release dates for two mystery projects that will hit May 6, 2016 and May 5, 2017. At this stage, however, speculation is out as to what those films might be.

This past May saw the release of Iron Man 3 and the official launch of "Phase Two" of the ongoing Marvel Cinematic Universe. On November 8, the universe continues with Thor: The Dark World and, in 2014, we'll get Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1. Marvel's The Avengers 2 then concludes Phase Two on May 1, 2015 with "Phase Three" launching later that year when Ant-Man hits theaters November 6.

It has been hinted in the past that Marvel has plans for new characters in Phase Three like Doctor Strange and The Black Panther. Either of those could take on these future release dates as could a Marvel's The Avengers 3 (likely for 2017), another sequel to an existing film or even a completely new surprise. Only time will tell, so check back for updates as they become available.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #592
Blackman
King Kong

Hoping 1 is Black Panther

Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #593
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

For now I would be willing to bet it's BP and Doctor Strange.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #594
Silvermoth
Avenger

Maybe it's BP and captain Marvel? They were talking about having more female characters soon.

I would love that

Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #595
Mr. Dent

Strange and the Inhumans.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #596
Heliflyer
Banned User

2016 - Dr. Strange

2017 - I have no idea whatsoever, but the kid inside hopes it is something out of left field like "Powerman and IronFist" - we could use a little Cage and Rand!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #597
roach
I am the night

we'll find out at Comic-con

Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #598
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Strange for sure is one of them don't know about the other maybe Black Panther or Inhumans.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #599
roach
I am the night

I'd like for one to be Black Panther but it will probably be Dr. Strange and Ms Marvel

Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #600
Frico
Rollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
For now I would be willing to bet it's BP and Doctor Strange.
Yeah I think Strange is a lock for 016. And while I'd like BP to be for 017 (c'mon Marvel ) I think Inhumans might also be a possibility for that slot as mentioned before.

Clint Barton wasn't exposed to any extraordinary radiation. He has no X-gene, no mystical artifacts, and no bottomless bank account. He has just practiced, every single day.

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee
Closed Thread