The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm confident that once the next thing comes out (which will likely kick off the campaign leading to release day) the whole hate-the-lack-of-marketing talk will die down.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #27
Simo
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This came across my Facebook today, thought the art was kind of cool...

Can't wait to try the demo tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
Marvin
Side-Kick

I've been busy for the past few days, someone tell me WB did some MoS press at this last convention.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #29
TheDailyPigMan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I absolutely agree the marketing has been way too quiet for MOS so far.
For fanboys like you and me, yes, it's been too quiet. However, WB doesn't need to sell us on Man of Steel. We will see it regardless at this point.

Marketing to the general audience between the December trailer and the next trailer is/was of little importance to them.

After Iron Man 3 hits and leading up to June 14, they are going to make Man of Steel top of mind for everyone on God's green earth and .....

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #30
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

^^

This is true... my friends won't give a crap about this movie till about a fortnight before release.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
Glassjaw
In training

I suspect we're still too far away, but I really hope we get some more viral marketing. The first sight was so great, but went live so close to the trailer being released, there was barely any time for it to generate buzz/word of mouth.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #32
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I've been busy for the past few days, someone tell me WB did some MoS press at this last convention.
Do you want me to tell you something you want to hear or do you want to hear the truth?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

This too far away stuff is a load of crap. Pacific Rim, Lone Ranger and WWZ are upping their marketing and they all come out after MOS.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #34
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

There's little else film-related to discuss other than marketing. If you guys want to talk about something else, we can always go to the lounge.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #35
TheDailyPigMan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAlani View Post
This too far away stuff is a load of crap. Pacific Rim, Lone Ranger and WWZ are upping their marketing and they all come out after MOS.
Which is why it's not the best time to spend marketing dollars on Man of Steel...it will get lost in the sauce....also, those films need all the push they can get....everyone knows who Superman is...it's almost markets itself...plus they want to keep the storyline under wraps as long as possible...

Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
Denish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDailyPigMan View Post
Which is why it's not the best time to spend marketing dollars on Man of Steel...it will get lost in the sauce....also, those films need all the push they can get....everyone knows who Superman is...it's almost markets itself...plus they want to keep the storyline under wraps as long as possible...
I think the problem is just that..Do you know how many people complain about the boredom of the character of Superman? How uninteresting he is after films and TV series? The WB has to change audience minds, and they won't do that thinking that Nolan's name is enough to fills seats in theatre..

Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #37
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Quote:
They are all also 100% unknowns - the general audience, as in the people who make the difference between a flop and box office smash have NO idea what they are. A zombie film, a western at least 30 years out of awareness and a high concept robot film, all with little to no awareness.

EVERYONE knows who Superman is - all the marketing is focusing on is when it is released, which it will do AFTER all the other big films with the same audience come out first. WHY compete with another film if you have 6 weeks to play with with no other films in the way?

It's Wolverine that should have marketed better than this. 4 months to go, and then in 1 week 3 poor posters (1 a disgrace) and 2 similar trailers, with almost identical footage? Out after the big 2 comic book films, and before the next Avengers tie in. The last time I saw marketing like this was last years Dark Shadows. Yeah.

SR's marketing was poor because WB could not market it as an action film, or a clash of good vs evil, as neither happened much in the film. What we got was a nostalgia marketing. So far MOS is going in the opposite direction - we've already had 2 trailers promising a story AND action, even though we have yet to see one scene! THAT'S how effective this marketing has been on MOS - everybody is complaining and endlessly talking about wanting to see more action in the next trailer, and we've yet to see any!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #38
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Do you want me to tell you something you want to hear or do you want to hear the truth?
Actually I just looked it up myself.
I was convinced there would be something in light of all this PRim press I'm seeing.

Didn't WB really sell GreenLantern at this cinema/wonder con thing last time out?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #39
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-sci View Post

I'd take the underwear debate, Amy Adams age, lack of new villains... Please.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #40
superkong 500
Side-Kick

Superman doesn't sell itself anymore, now there's ironman thor, the avengers, all filled with crazy action, hell spiderman used to be the SH golden boy on film but not anymore. WB can't lay back thinking the name alone will sell not specially after SR, The general audience doesn't care about supes they think of it as too old fashioned and action-less compared to the others. we have a guy who wears a robotic suit of armor than can fly as well as fight and has all kinds of advanced weaponry. They need to market this movie fast and they need to market the action aspect specifically to make the audience aware that this is a modern action packed superman.Because we know but we don't matter as much as they do when it comes to BO numbers.

WB needs to step up and build up hype for this, they have to remember that when SR came out(2006) there was no ironman or the avengers but now(2013) the game has changed.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #41
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
There's little else film-related to discuss other than marketing.
That's not true. You can talk about Zod's motivation to take over (or destroy) the world. You can talk about Zod's robot army (including what they look like, how many there are, and how Superman/the army will destroy them). You can talk about Jor-El's relationship with Zod. You can talk about how and why so many Kryptonians survived Krypton's destruction. You can talk about how Krypton, as a society, will be portrayed. You can talk about how Clark will react when he finds out he's an alien. You can talk about what Clark will think about himself before he finds out he's an alien. You can talk about how Clark's superhuman feats as a child will be explained to his friends and neighbors. You can talk about why Clark will choose to become Superman instead of saving people in secret. You can talk about Superman and Zod's first confrontation. You can talk about Superman and Faora's first confrontation. You can discuss how Zod and Faora learn about Superman in the first place. You can talk about the (apparent) exclusion of General Sam Lane in favor of Colonel Hardy and General Swanwick. You can talk about why we've heard so little about General Swanwick. You can talk about Emil Hamilton's role in the film. You can talk about the Daily Planet and the role it will play in the film (and whether or not it will be appropriately modernized). You can talk about how Clark Kent the reporter will be portrayed. You can talk about how both Clark the reporter and Superman will interact with Lois Lane. You can talk about whether or not Lois will find out Clark's secret before the end of the film. You can talk about Lex Luthor's possible inclusion in the film. You can talk about the elements MOS has borrowed from both made and unmade Superman films.

I could go on and on and on. There's plenty for you to talk about.

Quote:
If you guys want to talk about something else, we can always go to the lounge.
Or just make a thread specifically to discuss the marketing.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #42
TheDailyPigMan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkong 500 View Post
Superman doesn't sell itself anymore, now there's ironman thor, the avengers, all filled with crazy action, hell spiderman used to be the SH golden boy on film but not anymore. WB can't lay back thinking the name alone will sell not specially after SR, The general audience doesn't care about supes they think of it as too old fashioned and action-less compared to the others. we have a guy who wears a robotic suit of armor than can fly as well as fight and has all kinds of advanced weaponry. They need to market this movie fast and they need to market the action aspect specifically to make the audience aware that this is a modern action packed superman.Because we know but we don't matter as much as they do when it comes to BO numbers.

WB needs to step up and build up hype for this, they have to remember that when SR came out(2006) there was no ironman or the avengers but now(2013) the game has changed.
Why the rush?....as soon as they release the second full trailer mid-April, people will be jazzed. In terms of making people (the general audience) aware that this version of Superman will be action packed, the TV spots will be very effective for that...those will come in May...

IMO they are probably planning or will be rolling out soon a massive viral campaign...

"There’s a viral campaign coming... like nothing you’ve ever seen, and not a one of you is prepared!!!" - ZOD

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by TheDailyPigMan; 04-01-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: ZOD
Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #43
Wheels
HR Supporter

There is and has been marketing threads here. Everyone just prefers to post in here rather than other threads for some reason.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #44
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
That's not true....

I could go on and on and on. There's plenty for you to talk about.
Then bring one of these topics up with a quality post and talk about it instead of just popping in and complaining about what everyone else wants to discuss. Get a good discussion going and maybe we'll join in.

If you don't like the current discussion, the thing to do is bring up a new topic, not berate everyone.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #45
sup101
Side-Kick

Make a marketing thread and go over there and talk about it.I can assure you I won't be visiting that thread.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #46
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
Make a marketing thread and go over there and talk about it.I can assure you I won't be visiting that thread.
This is the Superman general discussion thread. We can discuss anything movie related that we wish in here.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #47
J.Howlett

Quote:
They are all also 100% unknowns - the general audience, as in the people who make the difference between a flop and box office smash have NO idea what they are. A zombie film, a western at least 30 years out of awareness and a high concept robot film, all with little to no awareness.

EVERYONE knows who Superman is - all the marketing is focusing on is when it is released, which it will do AFTER all the other big films with the same audience come out first. WHY compete with another film if you have 6 weeks to play with with no other films in the way?

It's Wolverine that should have marketed better than this. 4 months to go, and then in 1 week 3 poor posters (1 a disgrace) and 2 similar trailers, with almost identical footage? Out after the big 2 comic book films, and before the next Avengers tie in. The last time I saw marketing like this was last years Dark Shadows. Yeah.

SR's marketing was poor because WB could not market it as an action film, or a clash of good vs evil, as neither happened much in the film. What we got was a nostalgia marketing. So far MOS is going in the opposite direction - we've already had 2 trailers promising a story AND action, even though we have yet to see one scene! THAT'S how effective this marketing has been on MOS - everybody is complaining and endlessly talking about wanting to see more action in the next trailer, and we've yet to see any!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #48
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Hello. Everybody doing ok?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #49
JimJimBinks
A friend

Quote:

Okay, I agree with you on the point about Wolverine, but disagree on some others.
Regarding the fact that everyone knows who Superman is. This is a trap that Superman Returns fell into. They saved it all for the end, plastered the everywhere, and figured that's all they'd need to do. You can blame the contents of the movie all you want, but Superman Returns lack of marketing was less about that and more about WB thinking people would go see a Superman movie just because it's a Superman movie.
It's not just about the "WHEN" anymore. Superman doesn't have the draw he did when I was a kid you really do have to convince people WHY they should go see it. WHY this is different than what has come before. The movie itself should show WHY Superman is still relevant, but you have to show that the movie will answer this question. Give people a reason to want to put their butts in the seats. It's going to take more than just 6 weeks. The first two trailers did a good job, but they need to keep the interest ramping up. Don't just let it die off and then try to build it up again in the 6 weeks leading up to the movie. Get people interested, show them why Superman is the best Superhero, and keep their interest until June 13th.

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #50
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

So, any Civil War buffs around that have any ideas on what the significance of Shannon reading Grant's memoirs to prepare for the Zod role might be? What's that all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Hello. Everybody doing ok?
Doing great!

Closed Thread