The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #51
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Then bring one of these topics up with a quality post and talk about it instead of just popping in and complaining about what everyone else wants to discuss.
I don't do it because I don't expect it to make much of a difference. This is the crowd that complained about a lack of new material a week after getting new material. I'm pretty sure it'll take more than me suggesting topics to get people to move away from complaining about the marketing.

But you know what? Why not? The Daily Planet. How would you like to see it modernized? Do you even want to see it modernized? Do you think Clark will be more of a reporter than a field reporter? Would you be okay with that? Why (or why not)?

Quote:
Get a good discussion going and maybe we'll join in.
I'll hold my breath.

Quote:
If you don't like the current discussion, the thing to do is bring up a new topic, not berate everyone.
I beg your forgiveness.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #52
i_Cam
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Hello. Everybody doing ok?
I'm great! lol.

These marketing/lack of marketing conversations are funny. Happen every time any of these movies get released and it's NEVER enough, until a few weeks before the movie comes out and they actually do start to advertise heavily.

Not sure why we (myself included) expect so much more from a marketing perspective (especially one that Chris Nolan is associated with).

It's April 1, not June 1.

I wont go as far a saying everyone should calm down and relax but...

I wonder if the time would go by faster if we talked about other things...have all the other possible topics been exhausted?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #53
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Actually I just looked it up myself.
I was convinced there would be something in light of all this PRim press I'm seeing.

Didn't WB really sell GreenLantern at this cinema/wonder con thing last time out?
Yep .
That footage was deceptive though.
It made GL look like a Sci Fi Epic.
Pity it wasnt so.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #54
JimJimBinks
A friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Hello. Everybody doing ok?
No! I need someone to hold me!

" -Batman (Superman/Batman #3)
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #55
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Doing Pretty Good Showtime .
Tired after Wondercon though .

Old 04-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #56
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

How are you Show?

Sooo...are there any specific feats or displays of power you guys are hoping to see in mos? Or specific scenes from the comics? I personally would love to see Clark take pa kent flying like Birthright. Loved that moment

Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #57
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Back to the marketing!!!

I'll be the first to admit SRs marketing campaign was not the best, but you also remember most complaints originally came from Bryan Singer, who was also the producer - as in responsible for the marketing too!!!

That film failed due to the film itself. The marketing was aimed at nostalgia - promising a Superman we all knew. The General Audience were much smarter than most fans - they saw the truth - SR had nothing new to offer.

With MOS, every trailer, poster and picture promise something different - the exact opposite approach to SR.

By this point in 2006, we had 1 teaser (full of scenes not even in the final film!) and a poster of Superman over Earth. Where was the new stuff? MOS isn't even in the same catergory.

And if you're talking about the big marketing of STID, REALLY look at it and think of Abrams track record. We're being teased of a classic villain, action and a true classic. The marketing is also trying REALLY hard to admit its a Star Trek film. Where are the ideas? The subtext? Even Wrath of Khan had that, the idea of growing old. Even Nemesis, the WORST ST film, looked at the end of a Generation. Then look at Cloverfield, Alias, Lost, Super 8, Nero in ST. There is next to no chance of STID living up to the hype, which may work against it.

IM3 looks great, and I have more faith in Shane Black than Favreau, but IM2 looked amazing too, remember?

Point is, hope for the best. MOS marketing has got us all talking. It's done it's job, perfectly.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #58
i_Cam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyROM View Post
How are you Show?

Sooo...are there any specific feats or displays of power you guys are hoping to see in mos? Or specific scenes from the comics? I personally would love to see Clark take pa kent flying like Birthright. Loved that moment
I watched Superman Returns, well part of it, and what I thought was that I want him to do more Superman-like things. More superman focused action. The plan crash scene was very cool, but off the top of your head what else memorable did superman do in the movie?

Need more "WOW!" moments.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #59
i_Cam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-sci View Post
MOS marketing has got us all talking. It's done it's job, perfectly.
WE are talking, but is the general audience talking? Maybe they are. But I think the target audience isn't fans who will see anything Superman related, which most of us will.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #60
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Quote:
WE are talking, but is the general audience talking? Maybe they are. But I think the target audience isn't fans who will see anything Superman related, which most of us will.
I think polls like Digital Spy where celebs are asked about what their anticipated films of 2013 are, show that awareness is creeping in all the time.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #61
Naite22
Side-Kick

Please understand this, and don't flame! You wanna know why I, personally, keep being reminded of how silent MOS has been since December 18'th of last year??? It's because every_day, there's new headlines on the hype's front page - and that's cool. It is. But every time it's constantly for every other movie coming out this year BUT "Man of Steel" :-( Pacific Rim, KickAss 2, The Lone Ranger, Word War Z & After Earth, are all going strong at it. Trailers, posters, featurettes. You name it. ALL of which are movies coming out long after MOS. In the mean time, the same handcuff picture of superman has been released multiple times through varies sources, claiming it to be "new stuff" (so tiring). Also, the listed running time of 2:28 hours (as seen on imdb.com) isn't even official. We don't know if anything of anything is true, or not. It's ALL speculation. Multiple people claims to have seen the film and comments on it. But when all comes down to it we don't even know weather or not it's true, any of it. We know the film has been screened for some people, yes. But we don't know if those are the same people who's written about it on the net. Those could easily just be clever trolls and such. We just don't know. ON TOP of that, there was no Superbowl tv-spot. There was NO panel at wonder-con promoting the new film. And that's even though "Man of Steel" IS Warner-Bros biggest film this year, and Superman has turned 50, etc. (seriously - W_T_F!?).

The above written are all factors of WHY "Man of Steel" seems completely dead in its marketing at this point in time. When it should be headlining all over those other films.

Last edited by Naite22; 04-01-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #62
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
That's not true. You can talk about Zod's motivation to take over (or destroy) the world. You can talk about Zod's robot army (including what they look like, how many there are, and how Superman/the army will destroy them). You can talk about Jor-El's relationship with Zod. You can talk about how and why so many Kryptonians survived Krypton's destruction. You can talk about how Krypton, as a society, will be portrayed. You can talk about how Clark will react when he finds out he's an alien. You can talk about what Clark will think about himself before he finds out he's an alien. You can talk about how Clark's superhuman feats as a child will be explained to his friends and neighbors. You can talk about why Clark will choose to become Superman instead of saving people in secret. You can talk about Superman and Zod's first confrontation. You can talk about Superman and Faora's first confrontation. You can discuss how Zod and Faora learn about Superman in the first place. You can talk about the (apparent) exclusion of General Sam Lane in favor of Colonel Hardy and General Swanwick. You can talk about why we've heard so little about General Swanwick. You can talk about Emil Hamilton's role in the film. You can talk about the Daily Planet and the role it will play in the film (and whether or not it will be appropriately modernized). You can talk about how Clark Kent the reporter will be portrayed. You can talk about how both Clark the reporter and Superman will interact with Lois Lane. You can talk about whether or not Lois will find out Clark's secret before the end of the film. You can talk about Lex Luthor's possible inclusion in the film. You can talk about the elements MOS has borrowed from both made and unmade Superman films.

I could go on and on and on. There's plenty for you to talk about.

Or just make a thread specifically to discuss the marketing.
I don't know. It seems discussions like that thrive the most when the film is in its early stages, and everything seems a possibility. Now, with MOS all but finished and so close to its release, maybe people (I know me) feel that by delving too much into that they're almost spoiling the movie for themselves, or letting others do it. When what's done is done, discussion is less relevant, and people actually want to SEE what there is to be seen.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 04-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #63
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Quote:
Please understand this, and don't flame! You wanna know why I, personally, keep being reminded of how silent MOS has been since December 18'th of last year??? It's because every_day, there's new headlines on the hype's front page - and that's cool. It is. But every time it's constantly for every other movie coming out this year BUT "Man of Steel" :-( Pacific Rim, KickAss 2, The Lone Ranger, Word War Z & After Earth, are all going strong at it. Trailers, posters, featurettes. You name it. ALL of which are movies coming out long after MOS. In the mean time, the same handcuff picture of superman has been released multiple times through varies sources, claiming it to be "new stuff" (so tiring). Also, the listed running time of 2:28 hours (as seen on imdb.com) isn't even official. We don't know if anything of anything is true, or not. It's ALL speculation. Multiple people claims to have seen the film and comments on it. But when all comes down to it we don't even know weather or not it's true, any of it. We just don't know. ON TOP of that, there was no Superbowl tv-spot. There was NO panel at wonder-con promoting the new film. And that's even though Man of Steel IS Warner-Bros biggest film this year, and Superman has turned 50, etc. (seriously - W_T_F!?).

The above written are all factors of WHY "Man of Steel" seems completely dead in its marketing at this point in time. When it should be headlining all over those other films.

What you really need to understand is some facts as well.

1. WB bought ZERO ads for Superbowl 2013, as did Fox. Therefore, NO trailers for Pacific Rim, Wolverine, etc. WB also did not bother last year, with TDKR. As for all the other films hyped, most were released in March/April/May, the start of Summer movie season. MOS would not fit the category. Also, most of the film trailers were for films that NEEDED audience awareness - Oz, Lone Ranger.

Another reason would be that WB feels that the Superbowl would not fit the target audience they want for now. Case in point - the Superbowl was chosen to be the first glimpse of F&F6 - perfect audience and timing - marketing worked like a dream.... (WB DID release a Superbowl in 2003 - For Matrix Reloaded, out in May).

2. Why no MOS at Wondercon? Because it doesn't need it. IM3 wasn't at Wondercon either, because the target audience is already onboard. The films being marketed at WonderCon are those where the target audience is needed to get onboard. Pacific Rim NEEDS the gaming, Anime and scifi communities onboard. Same story with World War Z. Iron Man 1 and Green Lantern needed WC panels to get the support from their target audience, to establish the core fan base.

However, the December MOS trailer download numbers showed that both the core fanbase and general audience ARE aware of the film. There is NO point in WB promoting MOS at WonderCon - they've got the fans onboard.

3. Look at the marketing of MOS so far. A teaser trailer attached to one of the biggest films of 2012, used to ANNOUNCE the film. 2 posters designed to get attention. A 2nd trailer, attached to ANOTHER big 2012 film, which was one of the highest downloads. Now there are over 2 and a half months to go, with the marketing for the next stage. The next step is just promoting for the GA, and the date. That is 100% doable.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #64
mohoo
Side-Kick

Superman is one of the most recognizable brands, we need to understand this.

Now don't mix things up, Recognized =/= Liked

You don't have to like something to recognize it. You might hate Superman or think it's boring, but you'll "recognize" it.

Now I'm supposed to follow these films more than the average guy, but in the beginning I really had a problem remembering "Pacific Rim" name. Now imagine what the studio needs to do to make the public remember and recognize this robots' film. With Superman you're already there.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #65
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Quote:
Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Superman is one of the most recognizable brands, we need to understand this.

Now don't mix things up, Recognized =/= Liked

You don't have to like something to recognize it. You might hate Superman or think it's boring, but you'll "recognize" it.

Now I'm supposed to follow these films more than the average guy, but in the beginning I really had a problem remembering "Pacific Rim" name. Now imagine what the studio needs to do to make the public remember and recognize this robots' film. With Superman you're already there.
Exactly. At the end of the day, marketing is to promote a film that you MAY watch. It doesn't mean you will. I am very happy to admit I have NEVER seen one Twilight film, even though they are marketed all. The. Time.

Early/intensive promoting is done to get people aware of a film. Ask anybody on the street. They KNOW who Superman is. The next level is to promote the date.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #66
Wheels
They see me rollin'
SHH! Moderator

Just added the Justice League animated series to my Netflix instant queue. Awwww yeahhh.

Quote:
There's been an awakening... Have you felt it?

The Dark Side, and the Light.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #67
mohoo
Side-Kick

Also, it doesn't matter how many trailers you release if it doesn't reach enough people.

I noticed that we concentrate more on the number of trailers or posters released, when the viewing numbers are much more imported.

MoS trailers and posters are months old, but it's still being used and run today in theaters, that's marketing going on.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #68
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

I for one think Zod looks totally badass.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #69
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Just added the Justice League animated series to my Netflix instant queue. Awwww yeahhh.
Yea me to but didn't they say green lantern and young justice would be streaming as well?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #70
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

How many of these people on the street who know who Superman is also know he has a new movie coming out?

Last edited by Mysteryman; 04-01-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #71
mohoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-sci View Post
Early/intensive promoting is done to get people aware of a film. Ask anybody on the street. They KNOW who Superman is. The next level is to promote the date.
This!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #72
Wheels
They see me rollin'
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
Yea me to but didn't they say green lantern and young justice would be streaming as well?
The only DCAU shows that I remember being lined up right now are: Batman: Brave and the Bold, Batman Beyond, and Justice League. Maybe Green Lantern and Young Justice will be added next month? I don't know.

Quote:
There's been an awakening... Have you felt it?

The Dark Side, and the Light.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #73
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
I for one think Zod looks totally badass.
I actually agree.
I Like that armor.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #74
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

They didn't even need to release a trailer let alone two, they could have easily made their first and only trailer debut on Iron Man 3, nearly every member of the main demographic of this film would be exposed and informed of this films existance, then litter tv spots for the next month (may is finale month so viewerships are high) then you have your press junkets, late show circuits, endless articles and interviews, clips then if the film is good enough some reviews and pre screening tweets. All of that can be done in a month and a half and you'd get the same result as viral marketing and constant stream of photos and clips for 6 months (which it seems people here complaining about the marketing) if anything you might get a better result with the former, as you can always overhype and tire people out with constant marketing, especially if you reveal half the movie beforehand.

I'll just say what i said on the TDKR forums last year....some people are severely mistaking their own impatience and eagerness to see the film for a studio failing to market a film properly.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #75
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Actually,I am bothered by a lack of Buzz and Awareness .

Closed Thread