The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #501
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Well, I don't think Mandarin and Ant-Man are in the same boat as the others. Mandarin is Iron Man's arch enemy so it's perfectly understandable he'd have his fans, and Hank Pym is a staple of the Marvel Universe. It's not like both of them are so obscure.
All the characters he mentioned actually have cult followings; For instance, Malekith was a central character in Walt Simonson's highly acclaimed run on Thor. Just because a character isn't Venom or Wolverine doesn't mean they don't have small pockets of popularity.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #502
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 2

I don't think comic book fans have the luxury of turning away bandwagoners. It's those same bandwagoners--and their box office money--that make it possible for these movies to be made. Without them, comics stay in the shallow niche they fell into in the 80s.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #503
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Venom? What's Venom?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #504
Mr. Dent
Banned User

You'd be hard pressed not to find a comic fan from the 90s who didn't first get into it because of the X-Men/Spider-Man cartoons airing at the time. Just like in the 2000s the movies had a big role in bringing a lot of new fans in.

That said, I am looking forward to tons of people pretending like they've known who the Inhumans are forever when their movie is announced.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #505
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I don't think comic book fans have the luxury of turning away bandwagoners. It's those same bandwagoners--and their box office money--that make it possible for these movies to be made. Without them, comics stay in the shallow niche they fell into in the 80s.
Right, it's always weird to me when people get upset that other people get into the thing they really like later. Who cares? They like it, they support it, they're helping more of it get made. Embrace the newer fans.

It'll be especially bizarre with Guardians, since it's only five years old. "I've loved Rocket Raccoon since way back in 2009, all you bandwagon movie fans just don't know him like I do!"

Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #506
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ Given, Rocket did not first appear in Guardians.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #507
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Hey, don't get me wrong: I'm all for new people jumping on the bandwagon and getting involved with the comics. It just irks and/or amuses me when bandwagoners come in acting like C-listers and D-listers are vital parts of the Marvel Universe and the studio should follow canon to the letter. I think Marvel specifically picks some of the lower-tier and lesser-known characters simply *because* they don't have a huge fanbase and well-developed mythology. That makes them easier to mold into new imaginings of the characters that ultimately barely resemble their comic book counterparts. e.g.: Coldblood, Firepower, Whiplash, Malekith, etc.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #508
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
^ Given, Rocket did not first appear in Guardians.
He appeared in like 6 issues of various comics in the 30 years he existed before Annihilation.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #509
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah, but people like Joss Whedon followed those Marvel Preview issues he was introduced in back in the day when they were kids. Honestly...I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people who read Annihilation: Conquest and the following DnA events as they came out were old school comic fans, considering how confused even a lot of current comic fans were when the GotG movie was first announced.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #510
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Right, it's always weird to me when people get upset that other people get into the thing they really like later. Who cares? They like it, they support it, they're helping more of it get made. Embrace the newer fans.

It'll be especially bizarre with Guardians, since it's only five years old. "I've loved Rocket Raccoon since way back in 2009, all you bandwagon movie fans just don't know him like I do!"
Some of us were fans of the original Guardians, thank you very much. I became a fan of the group when the lineup was Vance Astro, Charlie-27, Yondo, Martinex, Nikki and Starhawk/Aleta. If you never read Marvel Superheroes we can't even talk.

But seriously, this old fan vs. new fan stuff is nonsense. Ditto the comics fans vs. movie universe fans. We should consider ourselves lucky that these characters have become popular beyond the narrow confines of comics fandom, because that's what made the films successful. If someone wants to pick up a GotG comic tomorrow and become a new fan, so much the better. Hopefully Disney will sell millions of Rocket plushies to a new generation of fans who will ensure that the series lives on.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #511
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Hulk and IM were written to steal the show, no one else were really even given much of a chance.
Iron Man didn't exactly steal the show. Sure he helped draw people to the film a bit more than everyone else, but once everyone saw the film they got exactly what they expected with Iron Man. If any Avenger stole the show it was solely Hulk. But yeah, Rocky and Groot will definitely be the main thing people will be talking about when they leave the theater... you know, other than Thanos.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 04-02-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #512
misjuevos
I am Groot

the more people to speculate with the better. so if you are out there just reading post, don't be scared off. join in the speculation.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #513
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Yeah, but people like Joss Whedon followed those Marvel Preview issues he was introduced in back in the day when they were kids. Honestly...I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people who read Annihilation: Conquest and the following DnA events as they came out were old school comic fans, considering how confused even a lot of current comic fans were when the GotG movie was first announced.
I never understood anyone's confusion. The property was mentioned as a phase 2 possibility several times over the course of 2011 and 2012. By the third or fourth mention, I took the hint and caught up on my Guardians reading.

After I saw the Avengers mid-credit scene, my certainty that Guardians of the Galaxy was the (then un-announced) second 2014 movie shot up to nearly 100%. Anyone who still thought we were getting Black Panther or Doctor Strange after seeing Thanos's ugly mug simply wasn't thinking.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative

Last edited by KangConquers; 04-02-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #514
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

star wars cantina vibe which i love

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #515
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

You can see that one guy's butt crack. Otherwise, great artwork. This is definitely the tone the movie should be going for, so I'm happy to see it heading in this direction.

Are those some kind of scars on Drax's body that resemble his tattoos from the comics? Looks really cool. Man, everything in this picture just increased my excitement for this movie.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 04-02-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #516
SuperSAINT
Side-Kick

Really like the feel of that concept art. Good stuff.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #517
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
And if you think the Guardians didn't have fairly big and devoted following before the movie announcement, you haven't been paying attention.
In terms of what? I'm excited about the movie and exploring the cosmic universe, but I'm willing to bet most of the GA and even a good amount of comics fans had no idea who they were.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #518
James_Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
Loving the tone of this pic. Also, is this art for Guardians? (EDIT: yes, confirmed)

The film could be absolutely mind-blowing visually.

Last edited by James_Smith; 04-02-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #519
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Speculating, of course... could those be Nova ships?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #520
misjuevos
I am Groot

Where did these pics come from?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #521
James_Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Speculating, of course... could those be Nova ships?
Quite possibly...

Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #522
James_Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misjuevos View Post
Where did these pics come from?
Here - http://www.geekzenith.com/2013/04/02...ork-uncovered/

Also, another pic has just been confirmed (same source) as being for GOTG:

Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #523
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

It looks like Gamora will be blue instead of green. That makes sense, as she was bluish when she first appeared and having two green creatures in one movie is too matchy-matchy.

The alien with his hand on Gamora's arm is looking to lose it like another alien in a cantina scene.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #524
James_Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
It looks like Gamora will be blue instead of green. That makes sense, as she was bluish when she first appeared and having two green creatures in one movie is too matchy-matchy.
Actually Drax doesn't look green in that art either. From the original concept art, it looked as though Drax would be a pale green color and Gamora nearer to turquoise - although as we know from this image coloring doesn't always translate from art to film.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #525
lozzy.94
Im no Side-Kick

Quote:

Can really feel the Star Wars vibe. Just looking at this picture makes me think of this song.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by lozzy.94; 04-02-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Closed Thread