Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Prince Thread

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

JabarR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #104
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

Have never appreciated Sign O' The Times until recently. Can tell it influenced his Batman tracks... I need a new Purple Rain lp, been playing mine too often haha.

I wish his "secret" Minneapolis show would have gone through recently. I need to see him live so bad.

Does anyone else feel Ween owes Prince a lot for their sound?

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
antsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #105
JabarR
Side-Kick

http://abc.go.com/watch/the-view/SH5...6/the-view-917

Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #106
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Back to the fro? Only took him 30 or so years, heh heh.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134
RockSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #107
JabarR
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #108
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post

Back to the fro? Only took him 30 or so years, heh heh.
That looks like one weird ass fro for some reason. But I can dig it.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #109
JabarR
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #110
JabarR
Side-Kick

SXSW 2013: Prince Closes Festival With Epic Concert
Show stretches to two hours and 40 minutes

March 17, 2013 10:05 AM ET

Prince gave fair warning last night somewhere between his second and third encores. "Don't make me hurt you – you know how many hits I have?" he asked the crowd packed into La Zona Rosa in Austin as SXSW drew to a close.

Enough that he didn't get to them all. Not even close, in fact, though he performed for two hours and 40 minutes, returning to the stage time and again for six or seven encores in all. At a festival where special guests and counterintuitive collaborations are the currency of much-coveted buzz, Prince relied on himself – and on a band that was tighter than a Marine Corps top sheet.

Dave Grohl's SXSW Keynote Speech: 'The Musician Comes First'

As much jam session for the NPG as it was a concert, Prince sang, danced, played a little piano and was generous in spotlighting his backing musicians, who included 11 horn players, two guitarists, a bass player, a drummer, a percussionist and a host of vocalists. The only thing Prince didn't do was play guitar, but then "Purple Rain" didn't include the outro guitar solo, either.

He was probably just too busy directing the show, as if sampling and savoring each ingredient and adjusting to taste. The songs rarely seemed to start or stop, only to shift and flow in new directions as "Shhh" became "Musicology," which transformed into "Extra Lovable," with bursts of brass tumbling over Prince's vocals. The band did the same thing without him during instrumental sections, sliding from tight, funky soul laced with horns into an impressionistic jazz-tinted section that featured a horn solo, followed by a ripping guitar break.

They stretched out on "Purple Rain," and Prince urged the crowd to sing wordless vocals in place of the guitar solo, and reflected on his career choice. "I love being a musician," he said. "It feels like a servant. A servant for you."

That song ended a 50-minute main set that began with the horn players taking the stage by parading through the crowd like a New Orleans second line, and also included a ringing burst of synths and horns on "1999." For the string of encores, Prince pulled out covers of songs by Curtis Mayfield, Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson, and soul and funk workouts "like we do in Minneapolis." He dipped into Morris Day and the Time's catalog with "Jungle Love," played Sheila E.'s hit "The Glamorous Life" (which Prince wrote) and unearthed his own rarity, "Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)," singing anguished lyrics accompanied by piano on a darkened stage.

Finally, as the clock ticked toward 3 a.m., Prince wrapped up, even as diehards called for one more song

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2NpElGldT
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #111
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

^just beautiful... God, please just play a show at The X soon in St. Paul. Tickets were to hard to get for his "soundchecks" last month.

Been finally rounding out his LP collection. I have;

Dirty Mind (original sleeves)
Controversy
1999 (original sleeves)
Purple Rain (original sleeves)
Around The World (original sleeves)
Parade (original sleeves)
Lovesexy (original sleeves)
Sign 'O' The Times (original sleeves)
Batman (original sleeves)

The higher quality For You, Prince, and Graffiti Bridge are always too expensive... that I find.

No one does it better than this man.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #112
Tigress
Mrs.Leroy Jethro Gibbs

Love me some prince. Purple Rain and 1999 are my two favorite albums. I watch Purple Rain about once a month.

Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #113
Thought Crime
Banned User

I wonder how embarrassing it would be to admit to having the Prince Batman soundtrack.

Thought Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #114
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

^Honestly, I don't know many people who are embarrassed to admit to having that album.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #115
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

I love my Batman Prince album...

It's not one of the strongest but it' still solid. And, it's BATMAN.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #116
JabarR
Side-Kick

Who caught Prince on the Billboard Awards last night?????????????

Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #117
JabarR
Side-Kick

Happy 55th Birthday to His Royal Badness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #118
JabarR
Side-Kick

Black Music Month: 10 reasons Prince was the greatest artist of the 1980s

Happy Birthday, Prince Rogers Nelson.

The legendary funk-rock-pop-soul musician turns 55 today (June 7th) and there isn’t a better time to acknowledge the greatness and remarkable legacy of one of the greatest artists of his era.

No, actually–the greatest artist of his era.

No disrespect to the King of Pop or the Boss or the Material Girl, but from a strictly musical standpoint, no other artist influenced the sounds and styles of recording artists in the Decade of Excess quite like Prince. Maybe he didn’t have the most iconic videos of his era and maybe he wasn’t a constant fixture in the media, but when it comes to the actual music, there’s really no debate as to who cast the biggest artistic shadow.

Don’t agree? Well, here are 10 reasons why Prince was the greatest artist of the 1980s…

No. 10 Re-igniting black rock music for the MTV generation

Prince embraced hard rock and New Wave just as the video age dawned; and by the end of the decade, acts like Lenny Kravitz and Living Colour were charting hits. Even Michael Jackson’s more rock-oriented songs came after Prince’s 1980 breakthrough album, Dirty Mind.

No. 9 Constant musical reinvention

At the start of the 80s, Prince was known for funk music and was beginning to embrace New Wave. By 1984, his “Minneapolis Sound” was in full swing. He never stayed in one place creatively: moving on to Beatle-esque psychedelia in 1985 and 1986 before embracing everything from hip-hop to Velvet Underground-ish minimalism in 1987 and ’88.

No. 8 Providing a template for funk-rock bands

By the end of the 1980s, funk rock bands like Jane’s Addiction, Faith No More and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were gaining momentum with a brash mix of funky grooves and guitar-driven rock riffs–a sound that was largely popularized by The Purple One.

No. 7 Insanely prolific

He released virtually an album-and-a-half every year from 1980 to 1989, and that’s not counting bootlegs, B-sides and the numerous side projects that served as outlets for his creativity. To put that in perspective: in the time between Michael Jackson releasing Thriller (1982) and Bad (1987), Prince released five albums–including a double set.

No. 6 The “Minneapolis Sound” came to dominate popular music

After Prince’s crossover stardom with 1999, his “Minneapolis Sound” (a continuation of Stax-ish soul that essentially replaced horns with synths and featured hard funk and dance grooves) became the defining sound of 80s pop. From Ready For the World’s “Oh Sheila” to Stevie Nicks’ “Stand Back,” to Full Force’s work with Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam.

No. 5 Also brought to you by Prince…

The Time, Vanity, Sheila E., The Family, Jesse Johnson, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and Alexander O’Neal. They were all at one point or another shepherded by His Royal Badness during his creative and commercial peak.

No. 4 “Written, produced, arranged and performed by Prince”

No artist of the MTV era epitomized the idea of a self-contained creative force better than Prince. Even though he would often work with bands like The Revolution or New Power Generation and others, his ability to put together entire albums on the strength of his own ability made him one of pop’s most respected hitmakers.

No. 3 He wrote how many hits for other artists?

“Sugarwalls” by Sheena Easton. “Manic Monday” by the Bangles. “I Feel For You” by Chaka Khan. “Nasty Girl” by Vanity 6. “Get It Up” by the Time. “Glamorous Life” by Sheila E. “Nothing Compares 2 U” by Sinead O’Connor. Those are just some of the hit songs he tossed out to other artists.

No. 2 Prince, Controversy, Around the World In A Day, Parade and Lovesexy

There’s something to be said for watching an artist at their creative pinnacle. And Prince in the 80s was at his pinnacle. Even the albums that weren’t quite universally-acclaimed still sound fresh and spawned hit singles and classic album tracks.

No. 1 Dirty Mind, 1999, Purple Rain and Sign o’ the Times

But if you don’t quite grasp why people make such a big fuss over some little guy from Minneapolis that dresses funny–these are the albums that cement his greatness. Like all great art, Prince’s best work both defines its era and transcends it; on these albums (and virtually everything he did over that period) you hear the Prince that influenced everyone from D’angelo to Pharrell Williams, and you see the vision and undeniable talent of a man who shaped his era as much as any artist ever could.

Source: http://rollingout.com/music/black-mu...-of-the-1980s/

Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #119
roach
I am the night

http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjeffe...ces-new-single

Dave Chappelle Is On The Cover Of Prince’s New Single

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #120
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

lol...Prince on the sitcom "New Girl"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134
RockSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #121
JabarR
Side-Kick

Prince is on Arsenio Hall right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #122
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

What songs are they playing tonight?

I don't have cable... anything off the new Plectrum Electrum lp?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #123
JabarR
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
What songs are they playing tonight?

I don't have cable... anything off the new Plectrum Electrum lp?
You don't have to have cable to watch him. And honestly, not sure. He's wearing all purple with a mink hoodie!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #124
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabarR View Post
You don't have to have cable to watch him. And honestly, not sure. He's wearing all purple with a mink hoodie!
Does Arsenio stream their show?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #125
JabarR
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: