The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #726
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 2

And that's why his costume works. The goggles is how we see him in the beginning, then a little ways into the film is when we get the second concept art of them fighting in the streets. So it's not New Goblin to look New Goblin it was a question of -- what is the coolest way we can almost cover this guy up completely? A Snake Eyes take seems like it would be too far, while here the balance seems to work especially if they go for the long hair thing. Looking at the synopsis of this film on IMDB, part of me hopes that they leave the reveal majorily for the screen and in the trailers just make him out to be possibly anyone behind that mask that's a threat (if possible). Sebastian Stan isn't that big of a name yet either where you'd need to promote him as one of the main stars of it. Like what they did with the wicked witch - people online "got it," but when I took my parents and friends they didn't. If they can find a way to work that mystery into it, I think those coming in not knowing that will have an additional fun time at theaters when they find out.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 04-02-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #727
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Doesn't matter, no one will be in their costumes for long anyway .

- CM Punk
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #728
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Just adding to the chorus that (a) the latest WS pic looks too much like New Goblin; and (b) Falcon looks cool, but they could infuse some red (and maybe even white) in there to be less, you know, boring black, and pay some homage to the original comics as well.

Conceptually, they're good ideas; but WS needs to look *a lot* less like New Goblin; and Falcon could use more than just basic black. The wings are awesome, though. Can't wait to see him in action.
Totally fine with him "looking like New Goblin" because (a) Raimi's Spider-Man is obviously in no way canon and (b) I don't like Spider-Man 3 even a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I think the goggles look pretty cool. Would be nice to see them on without the face mask. The WS concept has potential, but I think they still need to touch it up a bit so it has some more colour and doesn't look like Harry from SM3 so much.
I think the face mask is great. In the comics the mystery around WS was merely because he looked so much different than Bucky (older with longer hair) any of that shock and awe would be lost on the GA if they just had Sebastian Stan play both characters with no drastic physical changes.

EDIT: oh lol its all been said. :P mask and goggles ftw.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 04-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #729
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

I'm digging everything, including the facemask. I agree that Falcon should have some red in his outfit though, instead of the generic black.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #730
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Falcon with red photoshopped onto his wings.

I really hope they end up doing this. I have to admit it looks 10x better even though I didn't have problem with it originally.

Niiiiice.
I'd also like to see some red (or crimson, or maroon, whatever) in the costume as well....some stripes and/or stylized falcon imagery reminiscent of the original design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
From a narrative stand-point, I've got to say I strongly think the audience isn't meant to know who Winter Soldier is until a ways into the film. The fanboys will know and those who read articles will know. But, I think it's designed to be a surprise for the total mass audience when that mask is taken off. And if not just the audience, then for Cap -- Cap can't see any of his former partner in there, so it works to conceal his identity from Cap.
The *only* audience members who won't know that Winter Soldier is actually Bucky when they walk into this movie are people who never even saw the first movie or read a Cap comic in their life. i.e.: Nobody.

Winter Soldier's identity is not going to be a secret to anybody in the audience. We ALL know it's Bucky; that's the whole point. The story is about Steve Rogers' past coming back to haunt him in many different ways, not about a poorly-kept secret in some plot twist that was telegraphed literally *years* ago.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #731
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

I'm really curious to see what Falcon can do. If he's going to be in Avengers 2 he better fly faster than Iron Man and Thor because otherwise he becomes redundant.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #732
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I'm really curious to see what Falcon can do. If he's going to be in Avengers 2 he better fly faster than Iron Man and Thor because otherwise he becomes redundant.

Yeah, but can they flap their wings? Huh, huh?

Plus, Sam has a burd. Everybody vants their burd.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #733
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The *only* audience members who won't know that Winter Soldier is actually Bucky when they walk into this movie are people who never even saw the first movie or read a Cap comic in their life. i.e.: Nobody.

Winter Soldier's identity is not going to be a secret to anybody in the audience. We ALL know it's Bucky; that's the whole point. The story is about Steve Rogers' past coming back to haunt him in many different ways, not about a poorly-kept secret in some plot twist that was telegraphed literally *years* ago.
This makes no sense. First of all, if you think no one will see this movie who didnt see the first movie you are wrong. Second, if you think no one will see this movie who has never read Cap in their life, you are also wrong. Third, other than those reading the opening credits who know Sebastian Stan by name (assuming he is even listed in any opening credits) why would anyone expect Bucky is back? Unless the trailers make it obvious (which could go either way) but I doubt they will.

FINALLY, as the guy said, the mystery is not just for the audience, but for CAP. Cap will be the one who is shocked and THAT is something the audience MUST experience. The facemask makes perfect sense.

EDIT: My father is the perfect example of this. Never read a comic in his life. Has literally NO idea Bucky could still be alive. He fell ****ing hundreds of feet off a train going 90 mph. Who in their right mind would expect him to have survived that? And yet he loved the movie and when he sees the sequel I can't wait to see his face.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 04-02-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #734
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:

I don't know how he's going to fly faster than Iron Man with those wings, but we'll see.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #735
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I don't know how he's going to fly faster than Iron Man with those wings, but we'll see.
o.O

Hm... The sheer physics involved with man-powered winged flight reaching mach speeds. idk how to respond.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #736
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Why would he have to fly faster? Does he not possess an entirely different skill set and role? Is he defined by flying and nothing else? Come on.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #737
MysticRain
Side-Kick

It will depend on how they market the film. I think they'll reveal Bucky as the Winter Soldier in the trailers (maybe not in the teasers). Seeing Cap's reaction and how Bucky becomes TWS will be big enough selling points of the film, no need to conceal his identity to the audience, imo.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #738
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

NO. Only defined by his flying. Don't even give him any dialogue in the movie. I better never see his f**king feet touch the ground either, or I'm walking straight out.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #739
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Why would he have to fly faster? Does he not possess an entirely different skill set and role? Is he defined by flying and nothing else? Come on.
That's the question I'm asking. You tell me. What does he bring to the table that The Avengers don't already have?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #740
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Welp, he's Black. There's something.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #741
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's the question I'm asking. You tell me. What does he bring to the table that The Avengers don't already have?
He's presumably a highly-trained Shield agent with unique gear. I haven't seen any other Shield guys that can fly. What do Thor and Stark have to do with it? They aren't Shield agents and won't be in Cap 2. He isn't competing for screentime against them. Has he been confirmed for Avengers 2? Did we complain that Cap wasn't as strong as Hulk and worry about what he brought to the table despite being the 4th strongest guy on the team?

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #742
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I can't say he'll be MORE of a threat than Agents Barton or Romanoff...

But yeah. He is black.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #743
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I think most think he'll be in TA2 because he'll be a member on the new Avengers Assemble.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #744
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I can't say he'll be MORE of a threat than Agents Barton or Romanoff...

But yeah. He is black.

My boy Hawkeye could shoot Falcon's ass straight out of the sky.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #745
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
He's presumably a highly-trained Shield agent with unique gear. I haven't seen any other Shield guys that can fly. What do Thor and Stark have to do with it? They aren't Shield agents and won't be in Cap 2. He isn't competing for screentime against them. Has he been confirmed for Avengers 2? Did we complain that Cap wasn't as strong as Hulk and worry about what he brought to the table despite being the 4th strongest guy on the team?
I was talking solely about Avengers 2, not this movie. I said IF Falcon ends up being a member of the team, hopefully he'll excel at something the other characters don't. Because even the characters who didn't have much going for them power wise still had something to offer in other areas that would be lacking otherwise (Leadership, Stealth, Marksmanship). Falcon brings flying to the table, and unless he's the best at it, what the point?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #746
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

lol. We aren't talking friendly fire. Or maybe itd be a Rock Paper Scissors situation between the shield agents that double as Avengers. Hawk, Falcon, Widow

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #747
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
I was talking solely about Avengers 2, not this movie. I said IF Falcon ends up being a member of the team, hopefully he'll excel at something the other characters don't. Because even the characters who didn't have much going for them power wise still had something to offer in other areas that would be lacking otherwise (Leadership, Stealth, Marksmanship). Falcon brings flying to the table, and unless he's the best at it, what the point?
I understand your concern JB. But to be honest, by this logic The Hulk should be the only Avenger.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #748
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

So I guess Widow is valuable because she brings dat ass to the team.

No, not stealth. Dat ass.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #749
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
I highly doubt Marvel does this but in the comics, Falcon has the ability to see through the eyes of multiple birds. He can literally search an entire city in a matter of minutes because of this..lol. That would definitely be something new even though i'm not sure how the hell they'd make that work cinematically.

And it would be cool to have a little diversity in the Avengers. Lets be honest, it was a pretty white-washed film

Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #750
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

White washed.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Closed Thread