The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

View Poll Results: How do you think into Darkness will do?
1 billion 5 13.51%
900 million 0 0%
800 million 0 0%
700 million 2 5.41%
600 million 9 24.32%
500 million 10 27.03%
400 million 6 16.22%
300 million 4 10.81%
200 million 1 2.70%
100 million 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

I would love to watch the Star Trek movie trilogy in theaters (Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and the Voyage Home), as well as First Contact.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
Bowie
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 159
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

I went with 300, but it'll probably make more.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 13,547
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

I'm going to guess around 550 million.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On my planet, the S stands for Sears.
redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,711
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

I'm hoping this thing has legs, because I'm reading on BoT and it's pretty depressing. Nikki Finke's early numbers have it at 26-27M for Friday, and the Thursday and Wed, midnight numbers are about half of what was predicted.

What's sad is that this is a movie both Trek and non-Trek fans can enjoy, but I think the 4 year wait, killed whatever audience increase this movie might have had.

__________________
“Whenever you see somebody crossing over to something it gives it pop. Like Murder She Wrote and Magnum [P.I.] — great crossover. I got excited.” Joss Whedon on Spider-man joining the Avengers.
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,089
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I'm hoping this thing has legs, because I'm reading on BoT and it's pretty depressing. Nikki Finke's early numbers have it at 26-27M for Friday, and the Thursday and Wed, midnight numbers are about half of what was predicted.

What's sad is that this is a movie both Trek and non-Trek fans can enjoy, but I think the 4 year wait, killed whatever audience increase this movie might have had.
Good, as an old Trek fan who disliked the film, nothing would make me happier than this film underperforming.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #31
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,633
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I'm hoping this thing has legs, because I'm reading on BoT and it's pretty depressing. Nikki Finke's early numbers have it at 26-27M for Friday, and the Thursday and Wed, midnight numbers are about half of what was predicted.

What's sad is that this is a movie both Trek and non-Trek fans can enjoy, but I think the 4 year wait, killed whatever audience increase this movie might have had.
Or that many moviegoers didn't realize it was out Thursday, since it was a last-minute change. My sister had no idea it was already out when we told her we were on our way to see it yesterday. She thought it was out today.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #32
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 67,220
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Good, as an old Trek fan who disliked the film, nothing would make me happier than this film underperforming.

__________________
My Current Thoughts on the "All Things Superman/Batman" Thread:
1. UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
2. Give Me News, Or Get the Hell Out.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #33
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Or that many moviegoers didn't realize it was out Thursday, since it was a last-minute change. My sister had no idea it was already out when we told her we were on our way to see it yesterday. She thought it was out today.
I have been looking forward to this film for 4 years, have been checking updates, and even I didn't realize it came out on Thursday until Thursday.

But the truth is, I am thinking many have been possibly overrating how well this is going to do.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #34
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,633
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

They sent teaser posters to fans who posted those #the1701 hashtags on Twitter two weeks ago (I got one! ), and even those still had the date as 5/17.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #35
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
They sent teaser posters to fans who posted those #the1701 hashtags on Twitter two weeks ago (I got one! ), and even those still had the date as 5/17.
Wow. I am not quite sure if that is funny or sad.

Thank the Maker the movie rocked.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #36
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,089
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Grow up. What is so worthy of derision? It is perfectly acceptable for people around here to want movies they liked to make money, what is wrong with wanting a movie you dislike to do poorly especially one which you feel betrays the ideals of the franchise? Friggin' double standard.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,633
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Sawyer - knock it off witht he rolleyes.

DKDetective - it's fine that you want it to underperform because you didn't like it. But it's still a loaded comment that's going to get blowback from the people who did. It's just what happens in these threads, despite our efforts to keep them out.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Grow up. What is so worthy of derision? It is perfectly acceptable for people around here to want movies they liked to make money, what is wrong with wanting a movie you dislike to do poorly especially one which you feel betrays the ideals of the franchise? Friggin' double standard.
I think it is the inherent nastiness.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #39
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,089
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I think it is the inherent nastiness.
But there isn't inherent nastiness if you have read any of my other posts on this sub-forum. I have been very measured in my appraisal saying that I can understand why many will like it (strong performances, witty dialogue, etc), but that because of my personal feelings about what Star Trek means to me and what I feel makes Star Trek Star Trek, I really dislike the movie.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #40
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
But there isn't inherent nastiness if you have read any of my other posts on this sub-forum. I have been very measured in my appraisal saying that I can understand why many will like it (strong performances, witty dialogue, etc), but that because of my personal feelings about what Star Trek means to me and what I feel makes Star Trek Star Trek, I really dislike the movie.
I just think going around and saying you want something to fail is at the very least a little nasty. Especially when you preface it with the "Old Trek fan" tag. I say this as someone who has done it at times unknowingly.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #41
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,633
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
But there isn't inherent nastiness if you have read any of my other posts on this sub-forum. I have been very measured in my appraisal saying that I can understand why many will like it (strong performances, witty dialogue, etc), but that because of my personal feelings about what Star Trek means to me and what I feel makes Star Trek Star Trek, I really dislike the movie.
Here's the thing.

I rolled my eyes when I read that comment. I just wasn't stupid enough to post an emoticon version of the same expression, because that's rude and you're certainly free to express an opinion that I don't share.

But I'm fairly good at keeping that in check when I see a comment I disagree with (especially as a mod who has to keep reminding others not to do it)...others, are not so good at it. It happened with people who posted similar reactions on the Iron Man 3 box office thread a few weeks ago, and got pretty much the same response, and it will happen with any other box office thread from here to infinitum.

And why did I roll my eyes? Because I'm an old Star Trek fan, as is my dad, who's been a fan since the original series first aired, and we both loved the movie. In fact, my aunt, who was one of the biggest 'original' Star Trek fans I've ever known (right down to the crush on Leonard Nimoy), hasn't seen it yet, but I know she is going to freaking love it too. So I just thought the comment was silly because it certainly isn't representative of all Star Trek fans' opinions of the film. The ones in my life couldn't be happier over the film, and are already planning to see it again.

Again...you're just as entitled to dislike it, and say as much. And please report any obnoxious comments that come your away, because a mod will handle it. I've seen your posts on this forum, and you're no troublemaker.

But I've been here long enough to know that comments like that get the responses that they do. It's just an dumb aspect of open forums, unfortunately.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #42
Dude of Steel
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 145
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Even if this movie underperforms, it'll still do better than almost every other Star Trek movie. Even when adjusted for inflation, the `09 Star Trek is the highest grossing film in the series.

Dude of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #43
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,089
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I just think going around and saying you want something to fail is at the very least a little nasty. Especially when you preface it with the "Old Trek fan" tag. I say this as someone who has done it at times unknowingly.
I'm sorry I didn't go into depth why my love of Old Trek makes me dislike this film, I foolishly assumed that my numerous posts in other threads filled that in and clarified that I'm not saying that old Trek fans should hate this movie, just that that was a quick explanation of where my dislike comes from..

This all goes back to that discussion we were having on the MOS boards about how you thought Superman should be a Boy Scout, a guy who walks softly carrying a big stick and that you disliked the pre-occupation with trying to turn him to a Batman-esque "badass"/antihero. You argued that each had their own unique appeal and place. That is how I feel about Star Trek and Star Wars and, frankly, I'm really disliking how Abrams is turning Trek into a Star Wars-esque property with the heroic myth arcs and talk of destiny and fate and all that. I was fine with a little bit of that in ST09 because Star Trek badly needed some fun and adventure injected back in. TOS was very much a swashbuckling adventure show, but it was also traditional science fiction - about subtle social commentary and allegory and science-based plots (like current movies like Inception).For me, STID went far too far into Star Wars territory and was filled with inferior rehashes of classic Trek scenes and plots which just felt like cheap fan service. I can't help but be glad that the numbers are not looking so good because it makes me feel like maybe more people out there share my ideas about what is important about Trek and that it should stay true to its unique legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
And why did I roll my eyes? Because I'm an old Star Trek fan, as is my dad, who's been a fan since the original series first aired, and we both loved the movie. In fact, my aunt, who was one of the biggest 'original' Star Trek fans I've ever known (right down to the crush on Leonard Nimoy), hasn't seen it yet, but I know she is going to freaking love it too. So I just thought the comment was silly because it certainly isn't representative of all Star Trek fans' opinions of the film. The ones in my life couldn't be happier over the film, and are already planning to see it again.
Apologies, as I think I have clarified, it was not my intention to make it sound like I was speaking for all old Trek fans, just expressing that the film does not coincide with what Trek means to me. I saw the movie with my next door neighbour from childhood who was like my big brother and who introduced me to Trek and he loved the film.

__________________
Avatar by Kane52630

Last edited by DKDetective; 05-17-2013 at 07:00 PM.
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #44
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

I think danoyse covered it perfectly. It has nothing to do with your opinion. Everyone is of course entitled to theirs. I just think any post like that is looking for something. It is a dig, and not all that well hidden. I say this as someone who has done the same thing only to realize later I probably should have just not made that post.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 05-17-2013 at 07:11 PM.
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #45
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 7,711
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Deadline and RTH have it between 25 and 27M for Friday so it looks like it will end up 90M for the weekend.

The movie was fantastic, and I'm so glad I stayed away from the spoilers. I was totally blown away by the reveal. Nicely done JJ.

__________________
“Whenever you see somebody crossing over to something it gives it pop. Like Murder She Wrote and Magnum [P.I.] — great crossover. I got excited.” Joss Whedon on Spider-man joining the Avengers.
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #46
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 27,880
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

for sure this will be number 1 at the box office for a least two weeks.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #47
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
for sure this will be number 1 at the box office for a least two weeks.
It will not be #1 next weekend. Not a chance.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #48
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 27,880
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
It will not be #1 next weekend. Not a chance.
why because of Fast 6 ?

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #49
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,497
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Most definitely, that and the Hangover 3 will be huge competition for it. It seems one of the main reasons Paramount released it one day earlier so late was to give it an extra day of business.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #50
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Most definitely, that and the Hangover 3 will be huge competition for it. It seems one of the main reasons Paramount released it one day earlier so late was to give it an extra day of business.
What Liam said.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.