The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #451
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Default Re: L.A. Noire (PS3, 360) - Part 1

Spoiler: Mario finds Princess Peach.

In all seriousness, though, Cole was a downright awful character, which made the game even worse IMO. He's just such a douche, and you can't even not play him like the douche he is, which makes it even worse because you end up not even rooting for the "hero" you're playing as. When he cheats on his wife I was like, "Seriously???" It was just so forced and dumb.

Like Pat, I think the game peaked with the Dahlia case but even that case was stupid because you spend the entire case putting together clues and stuff and arresting/charging people only for it to make absolutely no difference and it's a totally unrelated perp you have to catch later in the game. IMO that renders the actual case completely redundant because you're essentially just killing time until the story decides to allow you to catch the "real" guy.

If they were gonna go through the trouble of putting in those intense facial animations and stuff for interrogations, they should've made it so you can actually, you know, utilize it to its potential beyond getting a better case rating.

I felt like there was probably a great game in here somewhere, but they just misfired on the whole thing.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #452
Havok83
Side-Kick

I still want them to take this formula and bring it to 90s NYC. I want a NY Undercover inspired game, but with more action thrown in. 80s Vegas would rock too

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #453
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I really want to see a GTA type game where you have a good cop and a bad cop as the protagonists. Basically the good cop would be like Cole, where he tries to do things by the letter of the law, while the bad cop gets his information by any means necessary.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #454
Crockett
With Teeth

That's why I think a private detective is better choice for a protagonist than a police detective, there's more flexibility of what you can/can't do and they could polish and expand on how you'll solve the case depends on how you approach it.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #455
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I finally got a chance to play Sleeping Dogs and realized that it was everything I wanted LA Noire to be, or at least what I want to see Rockstar do if they ever go for something similar again.

But I really liked how you could play both sides of the coin, being the god cop and solving crimes, while also being undercover and killing gangsters. Not to mention, you get penalized for doing things like stealing and killing innocent people. And even after the story missions, there was still so much to do in a city that felt very alive. I really hope Rockstar took some notes from them.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #456
Figs
Banned User

Can someone tell me if you can continue your saved game after you beat it?

I'm close to finishing the game but haven't found all the gold film reels, checked out special landmarks and driven all the cars.

I don't want to have to start from the beginning getting everything I already have all over again.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #457
Havok83
Side-Kick

You can free roam from any desk after you beat it. All your progress is linked to your Social Club account if I recall correctly

Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #458
Figs
Banned User

Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #459
Figs
Banned User

Anyone try to get all the trophys in this game?

I only have a few left and one of them is a *****. It's a secret trophy for one of the downloadable cases. It's the arson case. Near the end of the case, you are in a gun fight with security guards and there will be a few cars with more guards pulling up. You have to kill the drivers of at least two cars before they get out of the vehicle. I'm having trouble on the first one, I'm shooting the hell out of the side window and it seems like I'm hitting nothing. Not even the passenger.

Just curious as to if anyone else had trouble with this.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #460
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Anyone try to get all the trophys in this game?

I only have a few left and one of them is a *****. It's a secret trophy for one of the downloadable cases. It's the arson case. Near the end of the case, you are in a gun fight with security guards and there will be a few cars with more guards pulling up. You have to kill the drivers of at least two cars before they get out of the vehicle. I'm having trouble on the first one, I'm shooting the hell out of the side window and it seems like I'm hitting nothing. Not even the passenger.

Just curious as to if anyone else had trouble with this.
Yeah I got them all, and even though its been a long time since I've played this, I do remember having a hard time with it. But here's a video, from PS3 Trophies, that helped me out.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #461
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
Yeah I got them all, and even though its been a long time since I've played this, I do remember having a hard time with it. But here's a video, from PS3 Trophies, that helped me out.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Cool, thanks!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #462
Havok83
Side-Kick

I got the platinum. I actually thought it was one of the more easy ones

Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #463
Lord
All Mighty

I remember a few pages back, many were complaining about Cole being unlikeable, and i have to ask, why? How was he unlikeable? He never said anything racista, it's quite the oposite.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #464
Havok83
Side-Kick

Being a racist isnt the only thing that can make a person unlikeable. Its been so long since Ive played the game that I cant remember the details but I just recall really disliking him towards the end and was happy when you switched protagonists

Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #465
Blackman
C'mon Son

For me he was unlikeable because he was dreadfully boring.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #466
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

I think some of the hate towards Cole was because he was so high and mighty towards all the criminals and other cops throughout the game, only to become a hypocrite when he cheated on his wife with that singer. There might have been more to it but that's the main reason I remember. Then you switch characters and Cole doesn't really get a chance at redemption.

SpideyForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #467
Crockett
With Teeth

I don't find Cole much of an interesting character to begin with, the foundation is weak and the way Team Bondi implement his flaws to fit in the noir genre feels forced to me.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #468
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

I was playing this game when Gangster Squad hit the theatres. I thought Ryan Goslin's character had that Cole vibe. Loved the game then, love it now. The sountrack was amazing.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #469
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Cole is a really interesting protagonist. His "mighty than you" attitude makes him unrelatable at first. But as soon as he cheats his wife, he becomes less of a hero who can do no wrong. He becomes more human. Suddenly, he has flaws. and the more the story progress, the more you learn about his flaws, and you understand why he needs to over compensate. The fact that you don't play as him in the second half makes him become more distant, and you see him through other eyes, which was inetresting. I think it would have worked better if we were still playing him in the second half of the game though.

That said, the cases were really interesting for the most part, and I would be down for another game of this kind.

I'm dancing the Batusi in front of Bane Hardy
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #470
Havok83
Side-Kick

more like last 15% or so of the game. You play as Cole for more than half the game. He was only out for a short bit towards the end of the game. Not including the DLC, he was playable in every one but 3 missions and there were over 20 of them

Last edited by Havok83; 05-07-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #471
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

True.

I'm dancing the Batusi in front of Bane Hardy
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #472
OcStat
Side-Kick

One of my favorite games. And Cole is one of my favorite characters. He tries to do his job as best he can, but he's a flawed individual. Loved the last few missions when everything starts coming together. Liked playing the game in black and white too.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote