The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League Parts One & Two

Old 04-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #176
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: What are some scenes you wanna see in a JLA movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hats_Off View Post
GL was a new franchise with excellent casting in some areas, and horrible casting in others, and suffered from a poor script. But RR has GL nailed to a T. And thus a second redemption GL film can still be made with him in it, and seeing him in the JL movie builds for strong roots and foundation with continuity and familiarity with something that is already accepted.

GL may not have been smashing success, but the problems with the film have never been cited to RR the lead actor.
I wouldn't say he nailed it to a T. Probably the directors fault, but he went a little too Van Wilder at times. Other than that he was a great choice.

I would soft reboot it with RR. Retell the origin through a montage, with only him and Mark Strong. Or just flashes of him getting the ring (taken place after MOS, not a clip from the movie but a reshoot).

Everything else u said I agree with completely. It would be awesome having Reynolds, Bale, Cavill. Easy for the studio too.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #177
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

I don't know, I was turned off to the idea of having Ryan Reynolds in Justice League after he revealed that he really didn't like the character or acting in the movie at all. It's one thing if the actor isn't particularly interested in the source material that they come from but if they straight out dislike it then I don't want them anywhere near it. It's proven that if your heart isn't in something (or isn't likely to become invested in it) then you won't do a good job. At least a much poorer job than someone who can see some value in the role.

So for that, I'm in the 'recast RR' club. I'm essentially indifferent to Bale at this point mainly for the fact that he'll probably end up playing a different Batman from the Nolan trilogy. I'm ok with TDKT not being a part of Justice League, but if that happens I want a new actor. If you're gonna burn bridges to the storyline, at least burn all of them.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #178
shauner111
Side-Kick

He likes the character he was just disappointed with the movie like all of us. Of course, im sure if it made money he would be saying he liked it.

But when I think of it, I only remember him saying that he loved the concept art before he read the script and that's what drew him to it. I don't think he knew much about the character beforehand.

That's cool but I think he only wants to come back if JL is made by the right people. Id like him back, reworked, but if I was working for the studio, I would probably agree with them that they should leave Reynolds in the dust because GL was such a bomb that it could be a bit embarrassing having him back.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #179
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCAW View Post
imagine if J'onn did that, then after he shifts back to normal and holds his head, Flash runs up with some oeros and milk

Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #180
shauner111
Side-Kick

I agree but they DONT want to keep Reynolds, apparently they don't want to go near him. He on the other hand is fine coming back if its made by greater people.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #181
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
JL movie is already sort of a 'me too', after thought of a film, trying to catch the coat tails of Marvel's successful formula of the Avengers, and cash in on some of that.

That said, its already leading up to possibly be a complete train wreck in comparison, seeing as they want to rush it out so soon, aiming for a release in two years without the natural build up The Avengers had since 2008.

Changing actors out so soon for characters featured recently in other films is LOL hilarious.

Maybe a few of you on this site, here on the internet will like it, but most of the average people who don't come to sites like this or forums on the internet, are not going to.

They change out Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern and Christian Bale as Batman, and/or bring in shabby actors to play Wonder Woman and the Flash, and this thing is going to tank and go down hard, in flames and fire, but not glory.

This whole thing is very delicate and hanging onto a string, for a shot at both critical and box office success.

The casting will make and break the film as well as the script.

They WANT to keep Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern and Bale as Batman.
people didn't mind when Bana was replaced, and they didn't mind when Norton was replaced once they saw Ruffalo in Avengers.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #182
shauner111
Side-Kick

The thing is, even tho its not Ryans fault, the GA and most fans don't want to see him back. As ElMayimbe says, the studio would rather consider Hawkman over Reynolds Green Lantern and Hawkman is not even an option right now.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #183
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Yet you still saw the movie.... hmm

because I thought you would have refused to watch it, given your previous comment about GL.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #184
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Well you said that GA's would care, not just yourself, if RR didn't come back.

But I don't think GA's as a whole really cared for RR as Hal (for those who even saw the movie) and they wouldn't care if he was replaced, especially if a more well-known, well-liked actor replaced him. Same way that they didn't care when Bana, who was fine in Hulk, was replaced with Edward Norton, a more well known, well liked actor.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #185
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
they replace RR, and it will suck.

Also, apparently people did care about the Hulk actors, neither of those films were very well critically acclaimed and were going to be touted for any sort of awards.

They are both mediocre at best and nearly forgettable.
TIH replaced Bana, and it was more well-received than HULK. If you're equating actors with the films' reception, if anything, replacing actors from mediocre movies can improve things for the next one, as was the case from Hulk to TIH.

Also, Avengers replaced Norton, and Avengers was very well received....

so I don't really understand your logic here, other than your personal preference for RR.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #186
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
they replace RR, and it will suck.

Also, apparently people did care about the Hulk actors, neither of those films were very well critically acclaimed and were going to be touted for any sort of awards.

They are both mediocre at best and nearly forgettable.
I think "mediocre and nearly forgettable" very aptly describes both Green Lantern and Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. Yeah, I was behind him and supportive of his casting initially, and the film's failure isn't directly his performance's fault (same can be said of Bana and even Norton depending on how you felt about those films), but he is easily replaced. He isn't synonymous with GL like Chris Reeve was with Superman or even Keaton was with Batman. Ryan Reynolds is still thought of as Van Wilder, which is who he was channeling in many of the scenes in GL. In no way did he "play Hal to a T" by any stretch of the imagination.

The shooting script and dialogue was terrible, the first draft of the movie was great though. But clearly there are parts that were taylored to come out of Reynolds mouth. There are so many scenes with Hal where he's downright douchey and cocky, like Reynolds in most of his films that was not necessary to GL.

GL was an all around terrible movie except for Mark Strong as Sinestro and the one, brief 2 minute scene where he trains Hal on OA, if I am WB, I put as much distance between me and that flop as much as possible.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 04-03-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #187
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
My statement above where I said, "I didn't care for Norton or Bana's take in the Hulk. So changing again for that role there was never really a deal breaker for me personally, just an annoyance."

That doesn't translate well enough for you to grasp the logic? Really? Sorry you're having such a difficult time with this than. I suppose it may just be over your head than.
before you said that GA's would be against RR not coming back.

Here you say it's only your personal preference

....nevermind..

Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #188
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
I beg to differ.
I thoroughly enjoyed RR as the GL.
And with a proper script, he absolutely could, and should be synonymous with the character. 100%
He could do a good job, sure. But as for being Hal Jordan incarnate? Dude gets a 7, maybe 8/10 on his best day.

Quote:
Changing is just only going to make it much worse and ruin a franchise with so much potential.
Yeah, they already did that. It's called Green Lantern, and it was directed by Martin Campbell and starred Ryan Reynolds.

Quote:
There were never any improvements in Banner's character with each subsequent casting change.
What would you liked to have seen exactly? And I disagree, I felt Norton's Banner was better than Bana's, Bana is a good actor and I think he could have worked, but his Banner was too moody for my tastes, and for The Hulk in general. Banner needs to have a sort of quiet kindness about him, like Bill Bixby's did.

Quote:
Luckily it is *the Hulk* people care about and want to see in said film, and he isn't overly contingent on Banner, since there really is no resemblance, and neither the Hulk's resemblance, or personality (since he is really one dimensional anyway), have changed much (with the exception of CGI improvements) from 2003 to The Avengers.

So the problem with your analogy, is that The Hulk character never really changed much at all, just Banner who people care little about.
As a Hulk fan, I'm interested in the Hulk.
Hate to break it you pal, but nobody showed up at Green Lantern to watch Hal Jordan fly planes. The costumes ARE the characters, with all CMBs, and that is a fact. They are why we watch those movies, although some secret identities are more interesting or engaging than others.

Quote:
But keep playing musical chairs and just end up nuking a franchise entirely.
They already nuked it with the 2011 film. It needs rescuing and life support now, and we'll be lucky if we see that in about 20 years time.

Quote:
Batman was so far removed from people's minds, sick of all the previous casting changes, that Nolan's BB opened *very* quietly.

It took Nolan to save it.
The Batman movies post Burton were all horrendous, and this had little to do with the casting. Sure, I'd have loved to have seen Michael Keaton remain for all four 80s/90s films, but more than that I'd have preferred all 4 to have been as good as the 89 film and Burton to have directed. And by all accounts, George Clooney could have potentially been the best Batman, but he instead played George Clooney throughout the whole movie thanks to Schumacher instead of Wayne/Batman. If he'd have acted even a little like either it would have been better than what we got, bat nips and all.

Quote:
The original GI Joe movie was pretty bad. Yet they kept the main star Channing Tatum for this partial reboot/sequel.
They didn't wet their panties and abandon ship, and it has yielded rewards. They just built stronger around him.
Actually they did lose Channing Tatum PRETTY early on in the original cut, but it tested so poorly with audiences they reshot it and released it a year later with more of Channing Tatum. And both movies are still pretty craptacular, not at all what you want to compare your ideal franchise to, but to each their own.

Quote:
Green Lantern needs to be handled the same way, or axe the franchise for 50 odd years and any hope in the JL.
Ryan Reynolds is synonymous with the bad GL though. People will see him as poison - I'm not saying it couldn't work under the right person, but it's probably better to just let sleeping dogs lie and understand that that ship has sailed and move on. I mean even the costumes sucked in the CGI crapfest. I wish it were never made. Better no film than one that is an atrocity, because that bodes ill for ALL these series, it's a butterfly effect, sir.

Quote:
Just to piggy back on my point in my last post, to help crystallize it further.
One of my favorite animated movies I have on Blu-Ray is 2010's Plant Hulk.

Awesome awesome flick.

Guess how many time Bruce Banner appears in it.
0 zilch. Goose Egg.
Its ALL Hulk, busting up stuff and kicking much butt, just want I want to see from said character.

He is unstoppable.
How many times does Hal appear in Green Lantern: First Flight or the subsequent animated features starring his Green Lantern? Slim to nothing. Hal Jordan's best storyarc was in New Frontier as far as alternate media appearances go, and that was one of the best animated projects, top 5 (for me anyway) to date. But people watch to see Green Lantern kicking ass is my point, Hat, same as why you watch Hulk.

Quote:
Ryan Reynolds IS Hal Jordan and Hal Jordan IS the Green Lantern.
Ryan Reynolds IS Ryan Reynolds, who is Van Wilder, Van Wilder IS NOT Green Lantern, therefore Ryan Reynolds is NOT Green Lantern. Green Lantern is HAL JORDAN, not Van Wilder; I needed Ryan Reynolds to be Hal Jordan and not Ryan Reynolds aka Van Wilder.

Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern MOVIE was ill received because it IS a terrible movie, and unfortunately it's probably for the better that he go nowhere near the character again.

And general audiences, who disliked the movie, I'm sure, would agree.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 04-05-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #189
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Where did you get that BS from? You just pull that quote out of your rectum man?!

Source? Link?
http://www.movieweb.com/news/ryan-re...justice-league

We posted this less than a month ago.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #190
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Are we still treating this guy as a person?

aNarcHy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #191
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Correct.

If they wanna go ahead and blow a ton of money making that train wreck with no continuity, they can go right ahead, but I won't be purchasing tickets, or spending valuable time on it.
It would be a trade off. There are a lot of fans that associate Green Lantern and Justice League with John Stewart because of the successful TV series that ran over the last 10 years, and many of them refused to watch the Green Lantern film because John Stewart wasn't in it. They might lose you as a viewer, but how many more would a JL film gain with Stewart as GL?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #192
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
...But keep playing musical chairs and just end up nuking a franchise entirely...
Say that to the Bond franchise. I think you can change actors in the lead role of a franchise if you wait long enough for people to forget. Remember, there were 7 years between "Batman and Robin" and "Batman Begins", which was long enough to introduce a new batman to a different generation of moviegoers. Yes, I believe that another Green Lantern film will be made, but by the time it happens, Reynolds will be forgotten and there will be a new actor in that role. I think it's foolish to hold some private protest over a single actor when it's really the character that is more important with comic book films.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #193
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

the bond movies reflect the times, and they aren't all connected. plus they waited like 2 years to replace connery and 2 to replace moore. they were the iconic actors for that role, but they aged out. just like bale and possibly reynolds are about to.

the concern now is having a new batman. if they keep him in costume and in the shadows without his mask, then there's really no problem. i doubt anyone remembers green lantern. recast him. no one cares. it's like recasting hulk. no one really cared.

Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #194
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

The Green Lantern comics and story hasn't been just about ONE lantern. Its about thousands of them. No reason this franchise can't be the first to show us different versions of GL through the films.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #195
shauner111
Side-Kick

They should introduce Hal in the first JL, do a solo movie where it's Hal and John. At the end of the movie have Hal leave so John Stewart has to be the sole Green Lantern in Justice League #2.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #196
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

I agree that they should include multiple Green Lanterns, but you start with the basics, first one needs to start with "EARTH'S FIRST GREEN LANTERN" and that is "Hal Jordan", however, that doesn't mean he cant call for back up and John Stewart cant swing in for a cameo part in the first film

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #197
shauner111
Side-Kick

Sure why not!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #198
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I would love that scenario. In fact, I think the best way to go with the Green Lantern franchise would be as an ensemble of the three/later four Earth Lanterns, with a tone similar to Star Trek. I mean, they could literally do a carbon copy, and it would be awesome.

Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #199
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I would love that scenario. In fact, I think the best way to go with the Green Lantern franchise would be as an ensemble of the three/later four Earth Lanterns, with a tone similar to Star Trek. I mean, they could literally do a carbon copy, and it would be awesome.

..I'm with you up till the Star Trek part, what do you mean?

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #200
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Well Capt. Kirk is very similar in personality and demeanour to Hal Jordan, so there's that. But also the fact that both men are subservient to others in a hierarchy which they rebel against, often played against their partner who will often follow orders more willingly (Spock/John). Also, the films don't dwell too heavily on the spectacle as much as character interaction, and the prison scenes between Kirk and Harrison/Khan seem like they could just as easily be Hal/Sinestro. As well as Chris Pine describing Star Trek: Into Darkness as Kirk maturing as a character acknowledging he isn't a one man army against the world, but he has a team with him, and that would ideally be how Green Lantern would work.

Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote