The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 04-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #151
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Default Re: Winter Soldier: Bionic arm or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvar10 View Post
I wonder why they make changes like that. I didn't see anything wrong with the way he is in the comics. Hopefully they'll get his character right at least
It's just concept art people.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #152
MLSkinner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I'm sure he just wears this for the beginning of the film

it's to keep his ID hidden from Steve, the world at large, and- provided they dont spoil it- the general audience who doesn't yet know Winter Soldier is Bucky
I think he wears it in the beginning and once he takes it off, the part around his eyes stays which is what it's like in the comics.

MLSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #153
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvar10 View Post
I wonder why they make changes like that. I didn't see anything wrong with the way he is in the comics. Hopefully they'll get his character right at least
Because a domino mask looks silly on screen and doesn't hide anything. The Balaclava is consistent with Winter Soldier being a russian secret operative and actually hides his identity.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #154
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Because a domino mask looks silly on screen and doesn't hide anything. The Balaclava is consistent with Winter Soldier being a russian secret operative and actually hides his identity.
A Russian black ops would also wear a toboggan or helmet of some kind; not let their long shiny mane fly wild and free like frickin' Spetsnaz Fabio. Sorry, but the concept art in its present form looks totally, well, non-heterosexual, and the colors are far too reminiscent of the godawful New Goblin.

Hopefully, they'll give his balaclava and goggles a non-greenish color, and do something to wrap that hair up when he's on a mission.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #155
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I actually really like the design and IDGAF about a likeness to the new goblin.

Am i taking crazy pills?..lol

T"Challa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #156
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Yes, yes you are.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #157
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

WS shouldn't use the balaclava because Goblin did and no movie should ever go to another planet because John Carter did it. Once something has been done once, badly, no other movie should ever get to do it again because audiences have long memories and will remember obscure details about ****** characters from bad movies.

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #158
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
A Russian black ops would also wear a toboggan or helmet of some kind; not let their long shiny mane fly wild and free like frickin' Spetsnaz Fabio. Sorry, but the concept art in its present form looks totally, well, non-heterosexual, and the colors are far too reminiscent of the godawful New Goblin.

Hopefully, they'll give his balaclava and goggles a non-greenish color, and do something to wrap that hair up when he's on a mission.
I don't see the green in it. It looks all black to me.

As for the hair...well it has to maintain some comic book-yness to it lol. I think putting a helmet on his head would be crossing a line...this Balaclava isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
I actually really like the design and IDGAF about a likeness to the new goblin.

Am i taking crazy pills?..lol
Nope.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #159
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Yes, yes you are.
Why is the mask a bad idea? If the sole reason is because it reminds you of Franco, that just wont cut it. I think it looks good and it makes complete sense considering WS's identity will be kept secret for a while.

I would hate for them to use just a domino mask and go the Green Lantern or Superman route where the supporting characters pretend to be blind or are just too ****ing stupid to recognize the heroes. Cap and Bucky have been friends forever. Some long hair and a domino mask isn't going to fool him. Majority of Bucky's face needs to be covered, and if you have a better idea as to go about doing that, i'm all ears.

T"Challa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #160
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Why is the mask a bad idea? If the sole reason is because it reminds you of Franco, that just wont cut it. I think it looks good and it makes complete sense considering WS's identity will be kept secret for a while.

I would hate for them to use just a domino mask and go the Green Lantern or Superman route where the supporting characters pretend to be blind or are just too ****ing stupid to recognize the heroes. Cap and Bucky have been friends forever. Some long hair and a domino mask isn't going to fool him. Majority of Bucky's face needs to be covered, and if you have a better idea as to go about doing that, i'm all ears.

It does make sense for the story, I'm not disputing that fact. It just reminds me of New Goblin. It's not this movie's fault, it's SM3's fault for putting that s**t on him in the first place, when it didn't fit.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #161
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

I'd be all for a full mask. That it leaves his forhead and hair exposed id distractingly odd.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #162
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetPeople View Post
WS shouldn't use the balaclava because Goblin did and no movie should ever go to another planet because John Carter did it. Once something has been done once, badly, no other movie should ever get to do it again because audiences have long memories and will remember obscure details about ****** characters from bad movies.
Nobody's suggesting WS shouldn't wear a balaclava. What some of us are suggesting is that he shouldn't wear a balaclava that looks exactly like New Goblin.

There are *lots* of ways to wear a balaclava. Most of them make you look like an actual soldier, mercenary, black ops, bank robber, or hired assassin. Wearing it *that* way would make Bucky look like, you know, one or more of the above. Wearing it like New Goblin makes you look like, you know, a bad idea from a bad idea for a Spider-Man sequel.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #163
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

I don't think it looks exactly like new goblin. WS mask is made of fabric and has separate goggles, while new goblins mask is more of a paintball/Army of Two type plastic mask.

Also new Goblin's facemask is not the thing that hurt Spiderman 3.

And why would you want Bucky to look like an actual soldier/assassin. It's still a comic book movie. I would think we would be glad that they kept some elements from the comics but now I see that we just cannot be pleased.

A dominomask being cheesy and not hiding the face enough. A full mask being not Winter Soldier-y enough. I think this is a nice middleground, Spiderman 3 be damned. I'm sure if I ask my girlfriend what she thought of new goblins mask in Spiderman 3 she'll say: "Who ?" That's how much normal people remember of that movie and New Goblin.

In other words, New Goblin and Spiderman 3 have not made such a mask his signature thing. New Goblin didn't OWN the wearing of such a mask like Bucky potentially could.

Or like...

...does.

Why you think he did I will probably never know.

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 04-04-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #164
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

I see the similarity between the two, obviously
But they are not at all exactly the same like you're saying
There's no green at all in WS's mask, and it also has more of a kevlar look to it as opposed to the plastic/carbon fiber nonsense on Franco
and like others have said, I blame SM3 for putting Harry in something completely out of character, i don't blame CA2 for going with something that makes some sense for Bucky

and ya may also wanna watch that "non-hetero" comment, probably the quickest route to an infraction 'round here

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #165
spideymouse
Side-Kick

I like how this thread immediately became a Winter Soldier costume thread once the bionic arm was confirmed.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #166
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I like how this thread immediately became a Winter Soldier costume thread once the bionic arm was confirmed.
lol! I forgot he had another thread that wasn't dedicated to the bionic arm. Oh well.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #167
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

i'mlooking forward to thi flick bionic arm or not

Old 04-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #168
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Huh. Interesting. I'll play...

i'mthinking batroc teh leper wll hav astounding quadricep or not

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #169
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Y'know, I've always wondered this ever since the Six Million Dollar man - how would a bionic arm give a person the ability to, say, stop a moving car or punch through a steel door when it's basically still just attached to regular ol' human tissue. At best, wouldn't the arm just kind of rip from the tissue and go flying?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #170
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Y'know, I've always wondered this ever since the Six Million Dollar man - how would a bionic arm give a person the ability to, say, stop a moving car or punch through a steel door when it's basically still just attached to regular ol' human tissue. At best, wouldn't the arm just kind of rip from the tissue and go flying?
Well, for realistic(?) cybernetics, the solution is to not just have a cybernetic arm. Rather, you reinforce or replace much of the skeleton, too.

As for the movie, bear in mind that Bucky was almost certainly subject to some kind of quasi-supersoldier serum experiment. Wouldn't be shocking if he's physically enhanced even beyond the cyborg arm. . . and I would totally buy that bones and muscles even half as strong as movie Cap's would be fine with any reasonable cyborg arm strength.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #171
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Bionic arm for the win! Seriously though he needs to have the bionic arm and the mask. It's a comic book movie where we have already established gods, aliens, super soldiers, and advanced technology. I think the audience can handle a bionic arm and a mask.

KDM1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #172
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetPeople View Post
general audiences aren't going to be like, he's wearing the same mask from spiderman, this is gunna suck.

It's probably not going to even make a damn difference. People will see it because it's part of the MCU. that's all. I can't believe people are making a big deal out of this.

I think it looks ****ing great

Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #173
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

I don't think you picked up on the sarcasm there. I forgive you.

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #174
fixxxer
Side-Kick

^ Haha. I think facetiousness and sarcasm have to be explicitly tagged on message boards... no matter how unsubtely they are expressed.

But overall, I really like the Winter Soldier's look from the concept art. The balaclava makes so much more sense than the domino mask. Especially since it would make narrative sense for Cap not to know the Winter Soldier's identity till the final act of the movie.

I was completely oblivious to the NuGoblin connection until the reaction on these boards. And I actually watched (the uber disappointing) Spiderman 3 twice. I highly doubt the GA is going to notice... or care in the slightest.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #175
Iron Legion_042
Side-Kick

Kinda hoping for the whole bionic arm thing, but it really doesn't matter to me if it's there or not...just as long as they get everything else right.

Iron Legion_042 is offline   Reply With Quote