The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #76
Victarion
Cut

Default Re: Favorite Superhero Novels?

Spider-Man 3 was great; it made the villains work.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #77
masterthehero
Superheroine Book Author

I don't know, Sandman felt kind of weak and the butler not telling Harry what really happened to his dad until he took a grenade to the face was really dumb.

That said, I definitely didn't hate the movie like everyone else did. But it certainly wasn't as good as the other two.

(but this isn't really a super hero book so....)

masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #78
ChickenScratch
Banned User

The SM 3 novel wasn't terrible. I got it around here somewhere. I remember way better scenes of Peter's first contact with the symbiote and Sandman as a character was fleshed out. He wasn't just some villain like in the movie.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #79
Platinu

I'm a big fan of superhero novels. I only today found this site. I'm on my 5th Kindle, filled the others up plus they got old and new shiny Kindles came out... Anyway, here are some superhero novels I enjoyed, in no real order:

Wearing the Cape by Marion Harmon
Bite Me by Marion Harmon

Rising Stars 1 and 2 (I don’t think the last one was ever released. And I'm not talking about the graphic novels, these are paperback novels.)
Playing for Keeps - Chris Strange

Don’t be a Hero - Mur Lafferty

Ex-Patriots - Peter Clines (Someone mentioned Ex-Heroes, this is the next book to that one)
Confessions of a D-List Superhero
Nobody Gets the Girl - James Maxey
Burn Baby Burn - James Maxey
Paranormals - Christopher Andrews
Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain - A. Lee Martinez
The Last Superhero - Stephen Altrogge
Velveteen vs the Junior Super Patriots - Seanan McGuire (Surprisingly good)

Platinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #80
Platinu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandallRussell View Post
As much as I hate self-promotion, someone here might genuinely enjoy this:

http://tinyurl.com/desirevillain

I'm glad you self promoted this, shameless or not. I loved all 4 stories. Great character and 'world' you've got going. Are you going to be writing more?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #81
Platinu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLReasby View Post
Anyone interested in superheroes should check out my husband's novel. I like to describe it as Marvel's Avengers meets James Bond. The lead character is a member of MI:6 who is recruited for a super-powered team that works behind the scenes to protect Great Britain's interests. It has all the things that the cool kids are excited about these days: realistic characters, villains who are truly villainous, genuine artificial intelligence, and multi-layered motivations.

Awaken: The Children of Divinity, Book One

Achilles. Persus. Cu Chulainn. Joan of Arc. Their names ring through the millenia. They were called gods, heroes, the sons and daughters of divinity. Today we know their kind by another word: Superhero.

Jordan Law is the best sniper that the British Secret Intelligence Service has ever seen. Possessing a singular talent for slipping in and out of places that no human should be able to. She is a woman with a secret. Possessing superhuman strength, speed, and reflexes, and the ability to make herself seemingly disappear into thin air, she is the perfect operative, an unstoppable assassin.

After a successful mission to eliminate a terrorist leader, Jordan's secret is discovered by a shadowy organization within British Intelligence. She is drawn into a secret war where superhuman soldiers struggle to keep their own kind from preying on normal humans. Faced with the greatest challenge of her life, Jordan must push herself beyond the limits of what she though she could do to protect her family, her teammates, and the world from a threat that has worked behind the scenes since the earliest days of humanity.
I'm half way through with this one and I'm loving it. Thanks for mentioning it. When's the next one due out? Tell your husband some complete stranger said 'chop chop!' Oh and also

Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #82
masterthehero
Superheroine Book Author

If any of you are members of goodreads, I have a preview of my superhero book up for download. You can check it out here:

http://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/down...e-silver-ninja

Or check back at my website and I'll try to make a page for your viewing pleasure.

www.thesilverninja.com

masterthehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #83
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

-Batman: No Man's Land
-Spider-Man Sinister Six Trilogy
-Batman: Knightfall
-Hulk: What Savage Beast
-The Life and Death of Superman
-X-Men: Mutant Empire Trilogy
-Daredevil: Predators Smile
-It's Superman! (A lot of hate for this book elsewhere, all nitpicky crap like mild vulgarity and Lois smoking. It's like the Batman Begins of Superman stuff. It's a bit darker, but it still retains that Superman magic)
-Iron Man: Armor Trap

I really need to read Flash: Stop Motion. All the other DC/JLA books that came out at that time have crappy reviews. Are any of them any good aside from Stop Motion?

I found Enemies and Allies disappointing. It just didn't grab my attention.

The novelization of the first Spider-Man movie was the first superhero book I ever read. I loved it a lot. I was 12 when it came out and it was one of the few books at the time I read for pleasure. I maintain to this day that it's better than the film.

Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 05-08-2013 at 02:03 PM.
GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #84
KevanG
Brony

HAH! I've read all of those except for the It's Superman one. I really enjoyed the Green Lantern Heros Quest book. From the JLA books I've read the Flash, Superman and Batman books. The Flash one is the only other good one.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #85
Platinu

I'm reading the sequel to Blackjack Villain at the moment. "Blackjack Wayward". It's very comic book-like in a good way. I really feel bad for the main character. He wanted to be a hero but had a little bad luck out of the gate and just went bad. He still seems to want to be a good guy, mainly because he just barely despises his fellow villains more than the heroes.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #86
doobie
Side-Kick

I read a superhero "choose your own path" book called Thrusts of Justice recently that I really enjoyed. It had really good 60s Marvel style humor in it. I'm curious about this Empire State series, but it looks like it has mixed reviews.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #87
doobie
Side-Kick

ps, never heard of Remo the destroyer before, just downloaded the first one after reading of it here. Looking forward to this.

doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #88
VictorS
New User - Level 0

Probably Stephen Strange from Marvel Comics. He overcame his incredible ego and became a better person because of it.

VictorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #89
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I enjoyed the Batman Begins novelization a little more than the film. R'as' motivations were expanded and Bruce did more detective work than in the film: in addition to bringing down Crane's operation, he also researched the history of the League.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #90
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Just read The Flash: Stop Motion.

Really an awesome book. It's written with confidence and skill. The characterizations are spot, the action detailed and well written, and the plot is genuinely interesting. It embraces the comic-bookyness of the characters while still feeling like a legit work of fiction. One of the best superhero books I've ever read.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #91
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Yeah, I'm a big Flash - Stop Motion booster. That author totally understands the speed force and the type of love for speed Wally has. That scene out on the plane when he's running to reach the speed force and just enjoying his own speed. Beautiful.

It's summer and I'm not noticing a lot of superhero novels. You usually get the novelizations as well as a couple regular SH novels. I have not noticed them at the store.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #92
striller

I loved the Iron Man 3 movie!

striller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #93
ChickenScratch
Banned User

What? Novels not movies.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #94
jenharlowbooks

Superhero books are being released more and more. It even has a category under Fantasy in the Kindle store. I actually wrote one a few years ago and just published it on Kindle. My agent shopped it around for 2.5 years to every major publisher. I made it to about seven editorial boards (which means the editor likes it enough to bring it to the other departments) but it always got shot down by the marketing people. Basically they told me it was amazing, they loved it, but it was too new a genre they wouldn't take a chance on it. I was even told to change the superheroes to vampires and they'd buy it. Now, with Indie publishing, people like me have a way to prove them wrong.

jenharlowbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #95
shyerychen
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfan98 View Post
So we all love superhero comics no question about that! But what about superhero novels? Do you guys have any that you would recommened? My personal favorites include Spider-Man 1 and 3 by Peter David, HULK also by Peter David, The Death and Life of Superman by Roger Stein, and Batman No Man's Land by Greg Rucka.
I also like Spider-Man 1.

shyerychen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #96
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Superman - Miracle Monday
Batman - Captured by the Engines

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #97
Shayera

If anyone is interested in a fun superhero novel, check out my book: No Ordinary Hero (Keepers of Justice, Book 1) on Amazon. I'll paste the desciption:

The world is set to explode in three months.

The source: a lonely girl with an extreme superpower fueled by the negative emotions inside her.

The solution: send fourteen year old superhero-in-training Kale Zenith to be her friend and give her a reason to smile.

The problem? The girl trusts no one.

With the fate of the world in Kale's hands, quitting is not an option. Perseverance is key to knocking down the many walls around her, and soon he gets to know Lindsay as more than just the girl who will destroy the planet.

But there's trouble back home. A secret plot is brewing inside his superhero league, and it's up to Kale to expose the traitor. But that takes time away from Lindsay when she needs him most. Can he save her and the world before it's too late?

Shayera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #98
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenharlowbooks View Post
Superhero books are being released more and more. It even has a category under Fantasy in the Kindle store. I actually wrote one a few years ago and just published it on Kindle. My agent shopped it around for 2.5 years to every major publisher. I made it to about seven editorial boards (which means the editor likes it enough to bring it to the other departments) but it always got shot down by the marketing people. Basically they told me it was amazing, they loved it, but it was too new a genre they wouldn't take a chance on it. I was even told to change the superheroes to vampires and they'd buy it. Now, with Indie publishing, people like me have a way to prove them wrong.
If you don't mind, could you PM me the name of the agency you went with? I'm shopping a superhero book around right now and it's extremely difficult to find anyone who represents the genre.

Last edited by Crimson King; 06-28-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Crimson King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #99
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

If you guys haven't read it yet, check out "The Girl Who Would Be King" by Kelly Thompson. It has a very Whedon-esque feel to it. Can't wait to see more from her.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #100
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

I highly recommend Wolverine: Weapon X by Marc Cerasini I found it a pretty awesome novel.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote