The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #826
SWAT
Pool of the Death

Default Re: Deadpool Spin-off Confirmed - Part 1

Maby we should start sending FOX chimichangas or... pictures of Bea Arthur...?

Never Run, Turn Around And Face The One's Who Push You Out.
Stand Your Ground And Burn Them Down.-
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #827
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

With a note saying "Bea Arthur may be dead, but our hopes for this movie shouldn't be" or something like that.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #828
def28
Side-Kick

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/deadpool-mo...212700141.html
Another Reese and Wernick interview
Quote:
"It's a complete reinvention from Deadpool's first introduction in X-Men Origins: Wolverine," Wernick tells ETonline. "It's a complete reinvention and a return to the original conception from that character."

"It's a wholly original idea we came up with, but the movie is an origin story and Deadpool has a reasonably well-known origin so we riffed off that," Reese says. "We didn't do it precisely from the comics, but we used a lot of the elements."

"We used characters from the Deadpool universe as well, like Blind Al and Ajax, plus there are some new characters -- Mega Sonic Teenage Warhead, she's fun -- and then Colossus, a classic X-Men character, is also in the script. We had fun building that universe out."

"We have a great star in Ryan Reynolds, who is attached and was instrumental in helping us write the script, we have a great director in Tim Miller, who is also attached, and created a great 3-minute test scene to show the studio he had what it took to make the movie and we have a budget. All those things are in place, so it's just a matter of convincing Fox to move forward on it. I think they're trying to come to grips with the idea it's a hard R-rated script and trying to figure out a way to fit it into their jigsaw puzzle of X-Men movies."
Negasonic teenage Warhead's an interesting choice hahaha. Deadpool should have fun with that name.

The fact this movie hasn't been completely scrapped is making me think they are just waiting post DofP, since that will probably change their whole movie verse around.

Last edited by def28; 04-27-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #829
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

To be honest, I'm hoping that this movie wouldn't happen anymore because whether it ends up a success or a bomb, it will have an effect on X-Men movies. In my opinion, FOX should just focus on making X-Men team movies w/ the original cast. They are just gonna oversaturate the series by making these spin-offs/prequels.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #830
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
To be honest, I'm hoping that this movie wouldn't happen anymore because whether it ends up a success or a bomb, it will have an effect on X-Men movies. In my opinion, FOX should just focus on making X-Men team movies w/ the original cast. They are just gonna oversaturate the series by making these spin-offs/prequels.
I def think it's clear by hiring Millar Fox wants to expand and have multiple films like Marvel.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42105
Quote:
"My role is more of an overseer," he said. "It's not a consultant in the sense that I check continuity. What I'm doing is building a plan kind of like what Joss [Whedon] is doing with the Avengers movies. It's more of a writerly/producer kind of role where I look at possible directors we can use or possible writers we can bring in to work out a broad, overall strategy for what Fox Marvel can do to feel like Disney Marvel where they've done such a nice job of building a world where these characters can live together. They'll have a momentum that exist outside the structure of any one movie with little cliffhangers and things to tie them together. Disney Marvel has done a wonderful job with that, and I think there's something we can all learn from them.
Quote:
There's an amazing amount of potential in the X-Men universe. It's almost a Marvel Universe in itself in that you can build up to so many great stories and so many great characters.I hesitate to name names, but let's say that all the ones you like and everyone you'd expect, we'll have them. It's insane to have the crown jewel and not expect to wear them.
Quote:
"You have to remember that Fox grabbed the X-Men back in the '90s because it was the biggest franchise in the world. So X-Force or Cable or Deadpool -- all these amazing characters are things we haven't really gotten to yet. 'X-Force' #1 was the second biggest book of all time behind Jim Lee's 'X-Men' #1, so there's an immediate brand recognition to that stuff and a build in fanbase. You go to any convention in the world, and you'll see 20 people dressed as Deadpool. In a lot of ways, these are Marvel's coolest characters, so I want to remind people of that and build on what we already have. I think there's a great foundation, and just from basic conversations, we've come up with ten movies we could do[/B]. These things cost $150 million each to make, so we have to pick and choose what we want to do."
As much as people like to call out Millar, he's definitely working for Fox to to help connect films and find talent for more projects in the X world.Who knows if any will see the light of day but it's def safe to say they are looking to expand. Im up for some new X Properties. As long as they are not focused on Wolverine, Prof X and Magneto. I really want to see some new characters focused on.

Last edited by def28; 04-27-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #831
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I read a small portion of the script, which usually isn't my thing. But I did this time because I was really curious and I was sold on it immediately.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The opening credits sequence has the camera zooming out from the orange glowing tip of a dashboard cigarette lighter, and then alternately panning around and zooming out to eventually reveal a Matrixy, frozen-moment-in-time sequence of Deadpool killing some guys and causing a massive freeway accident, all set to Juice Newton's Angel of the Morning.

It is glorious and perfect.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #832
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I def think it's clear by hiring Millar Fox wants to expand and have multiple films like Marvel.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42105

As much as people like to call out Millar, he's definitely working for Fox to to help connect films and find talent for more projects in the X world.Who knows if any will see the light of day but it's def safe to say they are looking to expand. Im up for some new X Properties. As long as they are not focused on Wolverine, Prof X and Magneto. I really want to see some new characters focused on.
Whatever to what Millar wants to say. Their idea of expanding the X-Men universe is just gonna over-saturate the X-Men film series and might just ruin the series, if they are planning to make more prequels/spin-offs. In my opinion, they should just go back to basics, 1 movie every 2-3 years with the original cast and improve the marketing department of FOX. X-Men is not Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #833
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Whatever to what Millar wants to say. Their idea of expanding the X-Men universe is just gonna over-saturate the X-Men film series and might just ruin the series, if they are planning to make more prequels/spin-offs. In my opinion, they should just go back to basics, 1 movie every 2-3 years with the original cast and improve the marketing department of FOX. X-Men is not Marvel Cinematic Universe.
With how they have the films right now I agree with that. But even if you don't think it's the right way to do it, the X-Men have enough characters and titles to use the films like the MCU has...if thats what they want. We have only had films focused on the same characters so far. To me thats over saturating. I want new X properties that don't rely on Singers X-Men 1.

Unless they rewrite and try to tie DP into the team movies he's definitely not gonna have any effect on the main series box office. We now have 4 X-Men movies with the original crew. The X-Men have had plenty of time for audiences to make up there mind on if they want to see a movie with that cast and characters. If Days Of Future Past won't hold them there then that's it's own problem, and probably a sign of Fox needing to reboot and the quality of those films not being up to the audience preference. Hopefully that won't be the case. Shouldn't have anything to do with Deadpool having a movie. Especially given Deadpool has an R rated audience, no X-Men in the title and a lower budget in mind.

The only ones responsible for the Main X-Men movies performing badly are the main X-Men movie's themselves. If they suck people will stop showing. They have too much star power,well known characters and previous film's to lay the blame on a separate R rated character who specializes in pop culture jokes/killing people for fun.

Last edited by def28; 04-28-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #834
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

They just need to move forward with the original cast and balance the screentime for all of the X-Men. It doesn't matter if the X-Men have enough characters and titles to use for spin-offs/prequels. They are not gonna attract the casual audience compare to the films with the original cast. Look at The Wolverine for example. You can blame FOX's marketing for that but even if FOX promoted this movie very well, its not gonna sell like a X-Men film with the original cast. X-Men Origins kinda did well, but it was the 1st prequel/spin-off, but this is already the 3rd spin-off movie. Its time to go back to the basics.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #835
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
They just need to move forward with the original cast and balance the screentime for all of the X-Men. It doesn't matter if the X-Men have enough characters and titles to use for spin-offs/prequels. They are not gonna attract the casual audience compare to the films with the original cast. Look at The Wolverine for example. You can blame FOX's marketing for that but even if FOX promoted this movie very well, its not gonna sell like a X-Men film with the original cast. X-Men Origins kinda did well, but it was the 1st prequel/spin-off, but this is already the 3rd spin-off movie. Its time to go back to the basics.
They have had 12 years to make their films and we all know who Singer wants to focus on. By now, they should be pushing characters like Gambit, Deadpool and Psylocke as much as they can. But we can't even get Cyclops or Strom done right. I'm tired of waiting for that ****.

Deadpool is the first script by Fox Marvel that actually shows the kick ass side of the property. They have something that's actually original. Plus the script is damn good. To pass that up would be a shame.

Last edited by def28; 04-29-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #836
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Well I think they just need to focus on making X-Men team movies (w/ the original cast) and balance the screentime for all of the X-Men. They could always re-introduce or bring back Gambit, Deadpool and Psylocke. Any good writer could make a story for them.

The buzz for The Wolverine is quite low, and I think if they release more spin-offs, people will just completely lose interest in this franchise. Good thing, we have X-Men: Days of Future Past, to make people still excited in this franchise.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #837
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
The buzz for The Wolverine is quite low,
Which really sucks cause The Wolverine actually looks solid. The Marketing is horrible

Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #838
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Thats another thing. Not only that the general audience are less interested with prequels/spin-offs but FOX has to also really promote their spin-off movies just do well or at least earn their budget back. There's more cons than pros in making spin-off/prequel movies.

At least with making another movie with the original cast, the general audience are already familiar with the cast, the characters that are in the movie are definitely more well-known, it will help the DVD/Blu-ray sales of the previously released movies, and FOX doesn't have to market a brand new cast to the public.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #839
def28
Side-Kick

I don't base what I personally want to see on the general audience and we have no idea what new properties the general audience will be interested in till its released. X-Men with the original cast never made it up to 500 and have all been within 100 mil of eachother anyways. Im sure Dofp will finally break that mold and if it doesn;t there are bigger problems. They will make main X-Men team films no matter what. There is no arguing against it. A higher success will depend on the film's quality staying good, thats always been the case on these big budget comic films.

Deadpool is a solo character. He has his own set of villains in this film and Weapon X isn't even mentioned through his origin. He is one of the few characters who can actually have his own film in the X Men universe and pretty much the last of MAvels big names without a film. Nobody is gonna stop going to main X-Men movies because there was an ass kicking Deadpool film. He is a completely differenet characrter. Giving audiences something new is a good thing.

Last edited by def28; 04-29-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #840
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

They could go ahead with Deadpool if they did it on a low budget and kept it entirely standalone.

One way might be to remove Colossus from the story, remove the references to X-Men Origins: Wolverine and just make it as a standalone.

They could even cast someone other than Ryan Reynolds who - much as he is hunky and sexy and nice - usually conjures up an idea that something is a comedy and is associated with the godawful Green Lantern.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #841
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
One way might be to remove Colossus from the story, remove the references to X-Men Origins: Wolverine and just make it as a standalone.
It is a stand alone. The film requires no knowledge of prior films and erases Barakapool's history. The only reference to Origins is an action figure from the film. And the line "A piece of me died when this came out". It's a movie he saw. Pretty much anyone who hates origins or likes Deadpool would enjoy that. It's an inside joke. They are completely different characters.

Yeah, Colossus is pretty much the only thing connecting it to the Universe of X-Men. I could easily see Colossus replaced with Domino or Cable. CHaracters who have much more ties to DP. BUt that might again lessen the comedic impact which is why Colossus was chosen. The film's goal is to be funny.

Rather it's the right thing to do or not. Fox said they want an expanded Universe. And trying to fit Deadpool in more with whatever they have set up is probably what they want. Kind of goes with the writers comments about Fox trying to fit it into it's puzzle of X films. No doubt he is much better off in his own films and away from the main series, but we all know how Fox likes to shove characters in these things.

Last edited by def28; 04-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #842
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Errr did some posts get deleted today?

- Ryōkan

Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #843
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
we have no idea what new properties the general audience will be interested in till its released. X-Men with the original cast never made it up to 500 and have all been within 100 mil of eachother anyways. Im sure Dofp will finally break that mold and if it doesn;t there are bigger problems. They will make main X-Men team films no matter what. There is no arguing against it. A higher success will depend on the film's quality staying good, thats always been the case on these big budget comic films.

Deadpool is a solo character. He has his own set of villains in this film and Weapon X isn't even mentioned through his origin. He is one of the few characters who can actually have his own film in the X Men universe and pretty much the last of MAvels big names without a film. Nobody is gonna stop going to main X-Men movies because there was an ass kicking Deadpool film. He is a completely differenet characrter. Giving audiences something new is a good thing.
Thats not true. When it comes to box-office, people can always predict which movies are going to be a hit or not. Of course there will be surprises, but I don't want FOX to take a risk again in releasing spin-offs. If they don't get their money back, it could ruin this franchise and FOX might want to continue the series and they'd just reboot it when the movie rights are about to expire.

And the original trilogy of X-Men never made 500 million but let me tell you - X1, X2 and X3 all reached the top 10 of the worldwide box-office in the year that they were released.

X1 was #9 in 2000 worldwide box-office
X2 was #9 in 2003 worldwide box-office
X3 was #7 in 2006 worldwide box-office

If you adjust their box-office numbers to today's ticket prices, X2/X3 are still one of the top grossing Marvel films to date other the original Spider-Man trilogy/Iron Man 1/2 and the Avengers.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #844
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thats not true. When it comes to box-office, people can always predict which movies are going to be a hit or not. Of course there will be surprises, but I don't want FOX to take a risk again in releasing spin-offs.
Not really with new properties. With the main ones like Spidey, Bats, X-Men and now Iron Man. It's easy to call they will make money. They always have. Deadpool is a question mark as is The Flash, Venom, Ant Man, GOTG, Dr Strange etc. If they are well received marketed films it would be assumed they will do good. But if they suck they could be Green Lantern's and Punisher's.
Quote:
If they don't get their money back, it could ruin this franchise and FOX might want to continue the series and they'd just reboot it when the movie rights are about to expire.
I'm fine with that as I've been disappointed by every X film in some way and want something new. They have had their time.

Last edited by def28; 04-29-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #845
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

So you'd be fine with Deadpool ending the film series if it bombs at the box-office? Well I really hope now that they don't make a Deadpool movie, its probably gonna perform like Elektra and I think it won't happen anymore since FOX are busy with Fantastic Four and Days of Future Past. Once Days of Future Past is released next year, FOX would want to keep the momentum that they will get from DOFP.

The general audience aren't more interested with spin-offs/prequels. Its only the fans/comic-book fans who think any film adaptation could be a success.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #846
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

You don't speak for the GA, sorry.

- Ryōkan

Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #847
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you'd be fine with Deadpool ending the film series if it bombs at the box-office?
I think it's ridiculous to assume a low budget R rated Deadpool would be the end of The Main X Men series. So yeah, if that happens then this series deserves to fail haha. That would mean the series rests in Deadpools hands. That would make for some good comic material in itself.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #848
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
You don't speak for the GA, sorry.
No need to apologize because I didn't say that I speak for the general audience.

Since X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: First Class didn't perform better than the original trilogy and there's more hype/buzz for X-Men: Days of Future Past (which is going to feature the original cast) than The Wolverine (which will come out in 3 months), its a big proof that the general audience are more interested with the original cast than spin-off movies.

Quote:
I think it's ridiculous to assume a low budget R rated Deadpool would be the end of The Main X Men series. So yeah, if that happens then this series deserves to fail haha. That would mean the series rests in Deadpools hands. That would make for some good comic material in itself.
Are you even sure FOX would want to give the film a low budget and a R rating? No. And if Deadpool bombs, its not because the X-Men deserves it. Its because the general audience are just not interested with Deadpool.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #849
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

It's proof those movies didn't perform well. It's meaningless to an R rated action comedy with a brand new character.

But whatever, you're aren't going to be swayed and neither is anyone who actually wants a DP movie. Best to just move on, probably.

- Ryōkan

Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #850
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
It's proof those movies didn't perform well. It's meaningless to an R rated action comedy with a brand new character.
Deadpool already appeared in X-Men Origins: Wolverine so its not meaningless. And with a rated R film, its much more riskier because the kids with their parents are probably not going to see it in theaters and it could lead to lower ticket sales.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Closed Thread