The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #701
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR?

Popularity = hyperbolic criticism on the internet.

The Walking Dead is arguably the most popular show on television at the moment but it's routinely ripped to shreds all over the internet. For the record, I really like The Dark Knight Rises and despise the Walking Dead TV adaptation but my point still stands.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #702
BustersDogFood

TDKR was as good as a finale fans were going to get considering they didn't want to recast The Joker.

As far as I know, it's the only major super hero movie to complete the character's story. It takes guts as a storyteller. I appreciate that.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #703
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustersDogFood View Post
TDKR was as good as a finale fans were going to get considering they didn't want to recast The Joker.

As far as I know, it's the only major super hero movie to complete the character's story. It takes guts as a storyteller. I appreciate that.
Agreed.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #704
batfreakforever
A real fan

Nolan understood that as a director you can say what you want about a character then someone else will take over. That's why he did an ending to his story not keep it on going. Other people can do that. He had a chance to do an ending (which had'nt yet been done on film w/batman) and took it.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #705
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
It definitely seemed like at the end of The Dark Knight they were going to go with the "Batman Forever" route (if they were going to continue and had plans at the time). No doubt about it. There are hints of it before The Dark Knight too, like you mention in Begins. Rachel is convinced that the Batman persona is the main persona, his real face, "the one criminals now fear" and that kid she knew never came back. That's a pretty bold statement to write and include in the story. It also doesn't help that by the Dark Knight, his "chance for a normal life" is blown away by the Joker that thinks Batman is fun and believes "they're destined to do this forever". And yeah, there's also the note.

Before TDKR, Begins and Dark Knight were always pitched as an early Batman, a year one Batman. It was gratifying to see him learn, even in Dark Knight. Then when he finally stops the Joker, it felt like, "hey, this is the Batman from the comics". That experienced, "I'm going to do this forever", prep time, brooding Batman.

That whole line, "beautiful isn't it" is sort of chilling too. Especially when you figure it's after Rachel's death. Back in 2008, I always felt that in that sort of third act he was the fully fledged Batman. He's done learning the ropes, he's upgrading his armor to be more efficient, the Batcave and Wayne Manor is being rebuilt, etc. etc. He's also finally one step ahead of the Joker and is pushed at his limit when he kills Dent. Hell even the ending, "the Dark Knight", he's not a "hero", he's a dark hero who does what he has to. No more, "Rachel this" or "symbol that". I always assumed that her death resonated with Bruce the same way his parents did as a child so there was no turning back.

Then that whole "frozen in time" comment by Nolan before it became known what was really up. I thought he'd be "frozen in time" as Batman, not as a bearded "Bruce Wayne" who wants to be Batman who hasn't been in the suit since "that night", in horrible, horrible condition with a cane, who hasn't gone outside and hasn't been needed for years.

But then, yeah, we were thrown the curve ball, the rug was pulled out from under us. Nolan even said, "I think this will be a surprise to the audience". 8 years meant no Batman. 8 years meant no need for anything since "more important crimes" are at an end. 8 years meant recluse Bruce. 8 years meant Dent Acts and Harvey Dent days. 8 years meant "Batman could be anybody, that was the point". We got a rebuilt Batcave and Wayne Manor, but only for it to be used for Harvey Dent Day parties, archery and a few background checks before it's given to random new comer John Blake. We didn't even get a new upgraded suit when he eventually did become Batman even though the character would constantly be making upgrades. And when he's finally comes back, he's gone no sooner than he returned. Then when he returns again, he's gone for good.

I have no problem with any of the ideas in TDKR. Giving Bruce the option of having a happy life, Bruce Wayne being crippled or "broken" (man, I thought that cane was surely because of Bane), or even any ideas of retirement, but the way it was all executed just seems downright wrong to me. All of it actually. Yeah, surprises are nice, but some expectations are nice to have delivered. The transition, or lack there of between the world of The Dark Knight to the world of TDKR is a bit odd as well. Especially when it practically opens with a clip from TDK and then we're thrust into this new world, 8 years into the future where everything you assumed would logically happen, hasn't happened.

Yeah, this isn't "comic book Batman" and even though none of this is reality, a person can only handle so much physically. But a Batman that's only around for a year, year and a half tops? Especially after the cool, calculating character he became by the end of the Dark Knight? Even the new cool titled he's dubbed? To just reduce that to him acting strange, not really doing anything as Bruce Wayne or Batman just feels so wrong. Alright, so there's no mob crime for out there for Batman? If Bruce is really stuck in Batman mode and he's really compulsive and obsessed (like other characters in Nolan films), what would stop him from looking for crime? Surely there's some bad stuff in a city as big as Gotham, even without the mob. No muggings? No murders? No rapists? What if you had a Batman who was out looking for it, just to do it because he NEEDS to be out there? That's more compelling than moping around doing nothing isn't it? There's that episode from BTAS, I think it's "Christmas with the Joker" where it's Christmas Eve or something and Robin thinks that the night would be crime free and he's trying to convince Batman to hang it up until after it's over and enjoy the holidays. What does Batman do? He goes out there looking for it. He comes across a guy who he thinks is committing a crime and he's not, etc. etc. He's always out there looking for something. If there's no crime, than the Batman persona has no purpose.

I don't think we sound like "boo hoo, we didn't get our way or what we wanted to see", but it was sort of jarring to go in and get something totally different. Not just a few things, that's expected, but almost the entire picture. The whole "Robin" thing after years of "there won't be no bloooody Robin" was crazy to. It was like the movie was those fan fiction things we'd all see before 2011. "Bane and LoS", "Talia's Revenge", "Robin Cop" etc. I mean, after Batman Begins, it was pretty self explanatory where it would go. Nothing crazy or unpleasant. We knew we were going to get an active Batman. New suit. Cool. Yup, of course he's going to fight the Joker, they played it up at the end of Begins. Oh, the new District Attorney, Harvey Dent? Gordon, Dent and Batman are going to work with each other to take down the mob? Joker is rising to the top of the criminal food chain? Interrogation scenes with Batman pummeling the crap out of the Joker. Possible Two-Face!?!? All made sense.

Sure, taking the blame for the crimes and Two-Face dying were surprises, but it never felt wrong.
Had to log in just to applaud this post

Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #706
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I decided to come into this thread just to say...

I watched TDKR again and it's still the best of the trilogy, imo. And yes, this could be a problem as it's my second time in two weeks. I need to get this cast off me and ****ing go to work!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #707
Ryan
Side-Kick

Quote:
It definitely seemed like at the end of The Dark Knight they were going to go with the "Batman Forever" route (if they were going to continue and had plans at the time). No doubt about it. There are hints of it before The Dark Knight too, like you mention in Begins. Rachel is convinced that the Batman persona is the main persona, his real face, "the one criminals now fear" and that kid she knew never came back. That's a pretty bold statement to write and include in the story. It also doesn't help that by the Dark Knight, his "chance for a normal life" is blown away by the Joker that thinks Batman is fun and believes "they're destined to do this forever". And yeah, there's also the note.

Before TDKR, Begins and Dark Knight were always pitched as an early Batman, a year one Batman. It was gratifying to see him learn, even in Dark Knight. Then when he finally stops the Joker, it felt like, "hey, this is the Batman from the comics". That experienced, "I'm going to do this forever", prep time, brooding Batman.

That whole line, "beautiful isn't it" is sort of chilling too. Especially when you figure it's after Rachel's death. Back in 2008, I always felt that in that sort of third act he was the fully fledged Batman. He's done learning the ropes, he's upgrading his armor to be more efficient, the Batcave and Wayne Manor is being rebuilt, etc. etc. He's also finally one step ahead of the Joker and is pushed at his limit when he kills Dent. Hell even the ending, "the Dark Knight", he's not a "hero", he's a dark hero who does what he has to. No more, "Rachel this" or "symbol that". I always assumed that her death resonated with Bruce the same way his parents did as a child so there was no turning back.

Then that whole "frozen in time" comment by Nolan before it became known what was really up. I thought he'd be "frozen in time" as Batman, not as a bearded "Bruce Wayne" who wants to be Batman who hasn't been in the suit since "that night", in horrible, horrible condition with a cane, who hasn't gone outside and hasn't been needed for years.

But then, yeah, we were thrown the curve ball, the rug was pulled out from under us. Nolan even said, "I think this will be a surprise to the audience". 8 years meant no Batman. 8 years meant no need for anything since "more important crimes" are at an end. 8 years meant recluse Bruce. 8 years meant Dent Acts and Harvey Dent days. 8 years meant "Batman could be anybody, that was the point". We got a rebuilt Batcave and Wayne Manor, but only for it to be used for Harvey Dent Day parties, archery and a few background checks before it's given to random new comer John Blake. We didn't even get a new upgraded suit when he eventually did become Batman even though the character would constantly be making upgrades. And when he's finally comes back, he's gone no sooner than he returned. Then when he returns again, he's gone for good.

I have no problem with any of the ideas in TDKR. Giving Bruce the option of having a happy life, Bruce Wayne being crippled or "broken" (man, I thought that cane was surely because of Bane), or even any ideas of retirement, but the way it was all executed just seems downright wrong to me. All of it actually. Yeah, surprises are nice, but some expectations are nice to have delivered. The transition, or lack there of between the world of The Dark Knight to the world of TDKR is a bit odd as well. Especially when it practically opens with a clip from TDK and then we're thrust into this new world, 8 years into the future where everything you assumed would logically happen, hasn't happened.

Yeah, this isn't "comic book Batman" and even though none of this is reality, a person can only handle so much physically. But a Batman that's only around for a year, year and a half tops? Especially after the cool, calculating character he became by the end of the Dark Knight? Even the new cool titled he's dubbed? To just reduce that to him acting strange, not really doing anything as Bruce Wayne or Batman just feels so wrong. Alright, so there's no mob crime for out there for Batman? If Bruce is really stuck in Batman mode and he's really compulsive and obsessed (like other characters in Nolan films), what would stop him from looking for crime? Surely there's some bad stuff in a city as big as Gotham, even without the mob. No muggings? No murders? No rapists? What if you had a Batman who was out looking for it, just to do it because he NEEDS to be out there? That's more compelling than moping around doing nothing isn't it? There's that episode from BTAS, I think it's "Christmas with the Joker" where it's Christmas Eve or something and Robin thinks that the night would be crime free and he's trying to convince Batman to hang it up until after it's over and enjoy the holidays. What does Batman do? He goes out there looking for it. He comes across a guy who he thinks is committing a crime and he's not, etc. etc. He's always out there looking for something. If there's no crime, than the Batman persona has no purpose.

I don't think we sound like "boo hoo, we didn't get our way or what we wanted to see", but it was sort of jarring to go in and get something totally different. Not just a few things, that's expected, but almost the entire picture. The whole "Robin" thing after years of "there won't be no bloooody Robin" was crazy to. It was like the movie was those fan fiction things we'd all see before 2011. "Bane and LoS", "Talia's Revenge", "Robin Cop" etc. I mean, after Batman Begins, it was pretty self explanatory where it would go. Nothing crazy or unpleasant. We knew we were going to get an active Batman. New suit. Cool. Yup, of course he's going to fight the Joker, they played it up at the end of Begins. Oh, the new District Attorney, Harvey Dent? Gordon, Dent and Batman are going to work with each other to take down the mob? Joker is rising to the top of the criminal food chain? Interrogation scenes with Batman pummeling the crap out of the Joker. Possible Two-Face!?!? All made sense.

Sure, taking the blame for the crimes and Two-Face dying were surprises, but it never felt wrong.
Quoted for truth. Well said.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #708
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I decided to come into this thread just to say...

I watched TDKR again and it's still the best of the trilogy, imo. And yes, this could be a problem as it's my second time in two weeks. I need to get this cast off me and ****ing go to work!
*signs cast*

I really do think it gets better and better the more you watch it. I've said for a while that I still think TDK is the "best film" of the trilogy, but I'm leaning more and more towards TDKR being my personal favorite. And I think the only thing holding TDKR back from being as tight as TDK is the IMAX restrictions. I think the overall story is just as intriguing and thought-provoking as TDK's, while being a lot more emotional. It also has the distinct feel of being an epic graphic novel come to life.

I love this movie, blemishes and all. It captivates me from beginning to end, and leaves me feeling fulfilled and inspired at the end.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 04-04-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #709
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

TDKR's flaws get worse on repeat viewings for me. I find myself skipping scenes.

- The Joker
Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #710
Schrute
Side-Kick

^The same for me. I also think it gets incredibly boring. The pacing in TDK is great because you know it is all leading to a terrific third act. With TDKR the third act for me is where all my major problems are, so I'm bored throughout the film and know I'm not going to enjoy the rest of the film.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #711
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I used to skip scenes when watching TDK too, mostly just to watch Joker's scenes. And I watch specific TDKR scenes on youtube quite often, so whenever I actually sit down to watch the movie it's to have the full experience. I make sure to keep my full viewings spaced out though, that applies to both TDK and TDKR. And especially with TDKR since it's a long film. But as long as I go in relatively fresh I'm happy to sit through the whole thing.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #712
BCDawg97
Newbie First Class

I tend to turn off TDK once swat catches the Joker.

I've kicked myself for reading too many reviews of Rises and hearing about all the "flaws" that I never saw the first time. But when I rewatch Rises, thankfull I see it and go, "eh whatever" and still enjoy the hell out of the movie.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #713
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrute View Post
^The same for me. I also think it gets incredibly boring. The pacing in TDK is great because you know it is all leading to a terrific third act. With TDKR the third act for me is where all my major problems are, so I'm bored throughout the film and know I'm not going to enjoy the rest of the film.
Yeah, I'm the same. A large number of the scenes I skip are Blake centric ones. Even in the climax he's dragging it down with the orphans/bridge scene. ZzzzzzzzzZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDawg97 View Post
I tend to turn off TDK once swat catches the Joker.
So basically you just don't watch the final scene with Dent and Gordon's family lol.

- The Joker
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #714
BCDawg97
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

So basically you just don't watch the final scene with Dent and Gordon's family lol.
Yep, it "drags" down the ending for me. After Batman faces off with the Joker, everything else seems anti-climatic.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #715
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
TDKR's flaws get worse on repeat viewings for me. I find myself skipping scenes.
I could actually skip the entire second act, but the scenes with Bruce in the pit are too good to pass up.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #716
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
*signs cast*
Haha, thanks man!

Quote:
I really do think it gets better and better the more you watch it. I've said for a while that I still think TDK is the "best film" of the trilogy, but I'm leaning more and more towards TDKR being my personal favorite. And I think the only thing holding TDKR back from being as tight as TDK is the IMAX restrictions. I think the overall story is just as intriguing and thought-provoking as TDK's, while being a lot more emotional. It also has the distinct feel of being an epic graphic novel come to life.

I love this movie, blemishes and all. It captivates me from beginning to end, and leaves me feeling fulfilled and inspired at the end.
Yah, I would never be blind to the fact that the general consensus is looking like TDK, TDKR, BB, but to me TDK and TDKR would be switched around personally as I just love the breathtaking ending that TDKR is.

And when talking about the blemishes/flaws of TDKR, I found myself noticing each film's major flaws more and more and still enjoying the trilogy as a whole. After all the talk of TDKR's flaws or what have you, it's funny because I then started to take notice of the flaws in TDK and BB while people kept talking about the flaws in TDKR, lol.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #717
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
And when talking about the blemishes/flaws of TDKR, I found myself noticing each film's major flaws more and more and still enjoying the trilogy as a whole. After all the talk of TDKR's flaws or what have you, it's funny because I then started to take notice of the flaws in TDK and BB while people kept talking about the flaws in TDKR, lol.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I think they all have their own flaws and strengths, but the whole trilogy is greater than the sum of his parts. The day after I saw the movie my friend and I rated all the movies. Bare in mind, my scores may be slightly changing, but what I told him that day was:

BB- 8.5/10
TDK- 9.5/10
TDKR- 9/10
TDK Trilogy- 10/10

I think I'm gonna have a sliding scale for each of the individual movies, because as I said I'm kind of teetering on the TDK/TDKR thing. But personally, the 10/10 trilogy score will never change because it reflects how I feel about the movies as a whole and how they enhance each other.

Quote:
Haha, thanks man!
Np.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #718
Ryan
Side-Kick

I tend to turn off TDKR after the Bane beatdown on Bats. I skip the blake scenes entirely. Only other part I watch is Bane's speech about Dent.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #719
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I think they all have their own flaws and strengths, but the whole trilogy is greater than the sum of his parts. The day after I saw the movie my friend and I rated all the movies. Bare in mind, my scores may be slightly changing, but what I told him that day was:

BB- 8.5/10
TDK- 9.5/10
TDKR- 9/10
TDK Trilogy- 10/10

I think I'm gonna have a sliding scale for each of the individual movies, because as I said I'm kind of teetering on the TDK/TDKR thing. But personally, the 10/10 trilogy score will never change because it reflects how I feel about the movies as a whole and how they enhance each other.
It's terribly hard for me to give each film a rating nowadays, but if I would just right now give them numbers, it'll be...

TDKR and TDK - 9/10
BB - 8/10

Basically that's how simply I would have to make it as I find both TDK and TDKR to be leaps and bounds better than BB but even then, BB is still the best CBM origin that has been made to this day. I just enjoyed the other genres TDK and TDKR carried and that's the game changer between those two films and BB. But yah, even if at parts I didn't enjoy in all three films, I could never skip them as they are in the film for a reason even if some or even myself would have changed them up or what have you.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 04-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #720
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:

I love this post so much I want to marry it and raise tiny little posts with it.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #721
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I could actually skip the entire second act, but the scenes with Bruce in the pit are too good to pass up.
Oh yeah the pit scenes were good, but the siege itself was a bore and so pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I tend to turn off TDKR after the Bane beatdown on Bats. I skip the blake scenes entirely. Only other part I watch is Bane's speech about Dent.
Yeah once Bruce is tossed in that pit it's downhill from there. Namely when Bane's siege plan kicks in. Selina disappears for ages.

- The Joker
Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #722
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I love the cold desolation of the siege and occupation. It just makes you want to see Bruce rise up and take Gotham back that much more. And I really start to enjoy Gordon more during the occupation.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #723
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Oh yeah the pit scenes were good, but the siege itself was a bore and so pointless.

Yeah once Bruce is tossed in that pit it's downhill from there. Namely when Bane's siege plan kicks in. Selina disappears for ages.
Absolute agree. I like the first half quite a lot. Once Blake finishes his questioning of Selina it drops off. Pacing is an issue. Tightening things up would’ve helped I think.

As said, the pit scenes with Bruce are fine, but they’re withheld too much for my liking as the Gotham siege dominates. Which drags and is dull. I would’ve preferred more consistent time on Bruce, with his scenes closer together. I sort of feel instead of building up and up the Gotham scenario, get on with it.

And yep, Selina is thrown in jail, so the film is without spunk for that portion. Something extra for her would’ve been nice. Perhaps handling scene transitions differently. In prison eating a meal, on her own with the men on the side, on their own. The speakers begin to blurt out Bane’s speech and its on. Or something. And even showing her walking out of jail in the orange jumpsuit looking determined, which there is a publicity still of. I wonder if any footage of that exists?

Also, yes, the orphans/bridge scene gets in the way of what should be a tight, all out final conflict. Would’ve liked to have seen more Batman fighting Bane. There are issues like this, but I do like the movie overall.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #724
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I love the cold desolation of the siege and occupation. It just makes you want to see Bruce rise up and take Gotham back that much more. And I really start to enjoy Gordon more during the occupation.
Yah, I enjoyed the spots of the empty and desolated Gotham, especially when there wasn't a lot of time focused on the siege anyways so those moments such as the cars piled up blocking the tunnel or a lone Tumbler driving up the street...it helped, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Also, yes, the orphans/bridge scene gets in the way of what should be a tight, all out final conflict. Would’ve liked to have seen more Batman fighting Bane. There are issues like this, but I do like the movie overall.
The scene jump in the finales got worse from TDK to TDKR, imo. I think Nolan should had done something differently as it didn't work with TDK but he didn't, which sucks.

Know what else I would have loved to see? During Talia's reveal and her speech, she mentions how she found Bane which would be another al Ghul finding someone who's meant to come to Gotham to destroy it as much as Ra's wanted Bruce to help in destroying Gotham.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #725
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

The other thing I don't like about the Blake interruptions during the climax is that Blake is given one task by Batman and he totally fails at it. So we're seeing proto-Batman here totally suck at his one job...and we have to be shown this during a cool pursuit sequence. It's just all disconnected and disappointing. It's a pretty over-elaborate way to show Blake giving up on being a policeman.

Closed Thread