Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #726
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Yeah, that annoys me so much. Folks who constantly tout the Bible as the reason why homosexuality is "wrong" conveniently forget that Jesus supposedly loved everyone. Love your enemies, love your neighbor... it's amazing how many of them choose to believe one part of the Bible but completely ignore the other half. I would think that if the Second Coming ever happened, Jesus would disavow a lot of folks who claim to serve in his name.

And I'm sure you or someone else mentioned this pages back, but didn't early Christians perform same-sex marriage?
There's a disturbing amount of Christians (but not the majority) who i feel have alot more similarities with the Romans these days than Jesus and his Apostles....

On a local news source one person mentioned how the US should take a cue from the middle east and Africa and allow death to gays.... And felt it should be a crime) .... That comment got 5 likes..... -___-

I said... Yes, lets make the US on par with war torn chaotic 3rd world countries .... That makes sense.... *eyeroll *

Then i was rebuttled "i guess the liberals are out today"

... Yeah if Jesus walked the earth today they'd be right there ready to crucify him. No doubt in my mind

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #727
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
There's a disturbing amount of Christians (but not the majority) who i feel have alot more similarities with the Romans these days than Jesus and his Apostles....

On a local news source one person mentioned how the US should take a cue from the middle east and Africa and allow death to gays.... And felt it should be a crime) .... That comment got 5 likes..... -___-

I said... Yes, lets make the US on par with war torn chaotic 3rd world countries .... That makes sense.... *eyeroll *

Then i was rebuttled "i guess the liberals are out today"

... Yeah if Jesus walked the earth today they'd be right there ready to crucify him. No doubt in my mind
Yeah. They're true people of God. "Love thy neighbor" or that whole 'no killing' commandment are conveniently forgotten in their desire to string up gays and other people they don't care for. It's one thing to be against gay marriage, but to advocate the executions of homosexuals... I wonder if these hate-mongering, mouth-breathing sociopaths act the same in their normal life interactions as they do behind the anonymity of their keyboards.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #728
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Yeah. They're true people of God. "Love thy neighbor" or that whole 'no killing' commandment are conveniently forgotten in their desire to string up gays and other people they don't care for. It's one thing to be against gay marriage, but to advocate the executions of homosexuals... I wonder if these hate-mongering, mouth-breathing sociopaths act the same in their normal life interactions as they do behind the anonymity of their keyboards.
Well depends, I used to think hard core Christians were hypocrites, not living to the standards of the Bible but the more I read the Old Testament I think a case could be made for their actions based on the God of the Old Testament who was one nasty mofo

Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #729
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
Well depends, I used to think hard core Christians were hypocrites, not living to the standards of the Bible but the more I read the Old Testament I think a case could be made for their actions based on the God of the Old Testament who was one nasty mofo
i'd agree, but even they don't live up to those impossible standards and regulations... If so.. they'd be selling Doves at Walmart for every woman's menstrual cycle...

"On the eighth day she must take two doves or two young pigeons and bring them to the priest at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting. The priest is to sacrifice one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. In this way he will make atonement for her before the LORD for the uncleanness of her discharge.
leviticus 15:19-30"

so.... yeah... they only live up to the standards they personally believe, or that of their pastor, pope, priest, or reverend. Certainly not all that the text says...

[=]
Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #730
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
so.... yeah... they only live up to the standards they personally believe, or that of their pastor, pope, priest, or reverend. Certainly not all that the text says...
Well put it this way if you literally believe the story of Noah's Arc or Sodom and Gomorrah then is it that far out to think that God is a vengeful asswipe who would cause hurricanes or earthquakes to punish those who are gay or ideally stand by and support it, therefor in order to save us from God's vengeful judgement we best not let gay people marry(because even though they can't explain how exactly, God loves everybody, he just has a funny way to show it)

Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #731
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Well put it this way if you literally believe the story of Noah's Arc or Sodom and Gomorrah then is it that far out to think that God is a vengeful asswipe who would cause hurricanes or earthquakes to punish those who are gay or ideally stand by and support it, therefor in order to save us from God's vengeful judgement we best not let gay people marry(because even though they can't explain how exactly, God loves everybody, he just has a funny way to show it)
oh i get the way they think... but it's completely illogical. A mighty and powerful benevolent being who can smite anyone at the drop of a hat apparently likes to wipe out innocents with them for punishment... and then they justify it by quoting passages in a book that is almost literally the only text in Leviticus they take seriously.

it's basically a witch hunt all over again or ancient greek myth "oh no we are angering the god(s) we certainly not be at fault.. so let's point our fingers at these heathens"

isn't there an old tale of someone who blamed everyone else.. killing people off until they were the only ones left, the bad stuff still happened, and they finally realized their idiocy when it was beyond far too late?

that's pretty much how these "Christians" (thankfully not all or most) think. At the very least... how the Westboro Baptist Church thinks...

it's an age ole factor of "why is this happening", must be caused by those people i dislike ... and i'll use religion to back my emotions to gain others favor of my opinion.. pretty much exactly Salem all over again

i guess it's true people never really change much... nor learn from history

[=]
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #732
snyderrocks
Banned User

gay marriage should be left up to the states because Rand Paul would just filibusterer it if it came to senate floor .

Last edited by snyderrocks; 04-05-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #733
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderrocks View Post
gay marriage should be left up to the states because Rand Paul would just filibusterer it if it came to senate floor .
12 hours? You call that a filibuster? Strom Thurmond is laughing at you from hell.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #734
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well one of the 2 is in a state it shouldn't be an issue(Illinois) infact it probably would hurt him more then help him to be against it in the state race. If groups try to Primary Mark Kirk, they can kiss that seat goodbye in 2016(hell they probably will lose it anyways since people will vote Democrat down the ticket in a general election, one big reason Kirk won in 2010 was the Democrats were scandal ridden for 2 years up to that election. I am not sure what Kirk's chances of winning are in 2016, but if they decide to primary him and some ultra conservative wins it's for sure that seat will go Blue. On the flip side Kirk might have enough credibility to overcome a Democrat challenger by coming off as reasonable)

Much like Democrats in Red States have to side with the public to make seats winnable, Republicans in Blue States have to take the other side on some issues
Good point. Though as we've seen with Todd Aiken and Richard Mourdock, the Tea Party doesn't care about electability (is that a word?) so much as ideology.

So I don't know if that'll matter. Pragmatism isn't the far-right's forte.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #735
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Good point. Though as we've seen with Todd Aiken and Richard Mourdock, the Tea Party doesn't care about electability (is that a word?) so much as ideology.

So I don't know if that'll matter. Pragmatism isn't the far-right's forte.
I have to think the Social Conservatives/Tea Party are smart enough to leave Illinois alone, but who knows maybe they will idiotically try find a guy who is guaranteed to lose that seat if it already isn't going to be hard to win re-election as is.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #736
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
12 hours? You call that a filibuster? Strom Thurmond is laughing at you from hell.
And helloooo new sig line!

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #737
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Rand Paul has already stated that the Same Sex Marriage issue is an issue the far right is going to lose.....so I'm very doubtful that you are right.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #738
snyderrocks
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Rand Paul has already stated that the Same Sex Marriage issue is an issue the far right is going to lose.....so I'm very doubtful that you are right.
it is a issue they have already lost because the social moderates are never nominated because the party always want to run a social Conservative but i could still see rand standing up for religious freedom if some liberal wrote up a bill like that and brought it to capitol hill .

Last edited by snyderrocks; 04-07-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #739
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
it is a issue they have already lost because the social moderates are never nominated because the tea party want to run a social Conservative but i could still see rand standing up for religious freedom if some liberal wrote up a bill like that and brought it to capitol hill .
Actually I believe Rand Paul's stance for gay marriage is the states should decide for themself and the Federal Government should get out of regulating marriage.

I guess that might be ok in theory but when the Federal Government gives tax writeoffs for married couples then it's hard to use that as an argument unless you want the government to ditch the writeoffs for everybody.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #740
snyderrocks
Banned User

Quote:
Actually I believe Rand Paul's stance for gay marriage is the states should decide for themself and the Federal Government should get out of regulating marriage.

I guess that might be ok in theory but when the Federal Government gives tax writeoffs for married couples then it's hard to use that as an argument unless you want the government to ditch the writeoffs for everybody.
the federal government should ditch a lot of things .

Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #741
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

I think the government should totally get out of the marriage business...people can file separately...

Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #742
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the government should totally get out of the marriage business...people can file separately...
That is fair enough argument but I am guessing Rand Paul won't try and do anything to stop the Federal Government giving tax credits to married people(that would go against his increasing taxes stance) while at the same time do nothing to give gay couples those same benefits(standing behind the argument Gay marriage should be done at the state level)

Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #743
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
How do you mean? A friend of mine and a cousin were both married by justices of the peace. My friend because she isnt religious and my cousin because he is Jewish and his wife is Catholic.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #744
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I think its alot easier for religion to be separate from marriage than government at this point (and both are a huge battle) there's far too much tied into the gov policies that i doubt they really could even drop it

Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #745
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

I dont think that either can be seperated. Both sides will fight like hell to keep their way available.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #746
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

And then there were 3

Sen Johnson of SD now endorses same sex marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #747
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
And then there were 3

Sen Johnson of SD now endorses same sex marriage.
Not surprised if I am correct he is retiring so he has nothing to lose. Good luck getting those other 3 who live in deep red states

Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #748
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Yes, apparently he too "evolved".

"After lengthy consideration, my views have evolved sufficiently to support marriage equality legislation,"

By length consideration I think he means he looked at a calendar.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #749
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Yeah. Sadly, I know a few people who are like that, who cherry-pick reasons from the Bible for saying that -- they conveniently ignore all 10 Commandments and most of the New Testament. They just focus on the 'fire and brimstone' parts in Leviticus and so forth.

Religion can be used for positive things, and gives stability and purpose for a lot of people. But like all religions, it can and is being used as a weapon to suppress other people who don't practice religion or don't share similar religious views. It's depressing, really.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #750
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
In their normal life interactions their mouths are too full to go on those kinds of rants.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Closed Thread