The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #101
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Default Re: Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

Or maybe they just didn't feel Hill was a strong enough character yet to challenge Fury, rightly so, and brought in Redford instead to fill that role.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #102
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
Or maybe they just didn't feel Hill was a strong enough character yet to challenge Fury, rightly so, and brought in Redford instead to fill that role.
I was kinda wondering about that, too. Looks like they decided that Hill (or Cobie) wasn't a strong/interesting enough character to take Fury's place as Director, so they're opting for a much more interesting and accomplished actor to fill that role.

It might not be a case of Pierce (Redford) making a power play against Fury here, though --- he might just be the guy who replaces Fury after he gets fired/presumed to be killed or whatever. Pierce might not hold any animosity (or any feelings good or bad) towards Fury at all: he's just the new boss.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #103
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
I think it's safe to say Redford is playing a villian who has been infiltrating shield for years. Fury finds out and goes rogue or gets fired. I don't think they would make SLJ the bad guy, so that leaves Redford being the bad guy. Im sure they'll set it up to make it look like SLJ is the baddy, but a plot twist will turn that on it's head, much like many Fury stories. Since it's a cap movie, we'll see it all unfold from his perspective. Could Redford be the new skull? ... Or maybe Zemo or strucker??
How is it safe to say that at all? Do you know something the rest of us don't? Otherwise what you really mean is that you're just going to go ahead and jump to conclusions based on the scant information we have.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #104
BullMcGiveny
Probably Disagree

My theory is this;

Fury gets away with his actions in The Avengers, but he had earned the displeasure of the WSC. At that start of the movie, SHIELD fails at preventing a terrorist attack or the like (possibly the events of Iron Man 3), so they use that as cause to retire Fury. Pierce replaces him.

Cap had left SHIELD after the Avengers out of outrage at the phase 2 weapons. Redford recruits Cap back, promising him he'll run a different kind of ship.

Cap ends up finding out Pierce is far worse than Fury.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #105
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
My theory is this;

Fury gets away with his actions in The Avengers, but he had earned the displeasure of the WSC. At that start of the movie, SHIELD fails at preventing a terrorist attack or the like (possibly the events of Iron Man 3), so they use that as cause to retire Fury. Pierce replaces him.

Cap had left SHIELD after the Avengers out of outrage at the phase 2 weapons. Redford recruits Cap back, promising him he'll run a different kind of ship.

I think the terrorist attack may be an assassination by Winter Soldier. Maybe Fury or another SHIELD/WSC member that is hit and Redford is brought in to solve the case. Could also be that Fury is wounded and presumed dead, but is secretly off-the-grid and communicating with CA and BW in helping them catch WS and stop whatever villainous activity is going on.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #106
jacobed
Banned User

Really, really awesome they got Robert Redford to be in this. He must of saw something in the script he really liked, or he has grandkids that love the movies.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #107
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Really, really awesome they got Robert Redford to be in this. He must of saw something in the script he really liked, or he has grandkids that love the movies.
Oh he saw how much of a financial success The Avengers was, and wants in on what Marvel is doing.

No shame in that. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #108
jacobed
Banned User

There isn't much money in it for him, Marvel doesn't care who they are, they aren't paying them huge money. I was just saying that he probably loved the script and/or he has some grandkids that he wants to impress so he wants to get it on it. I'm absolutely jacked he's in it

Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #109
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
There isn't much money in it for him, Marvel doesn't care who they are, they aren't paying them huge money. I was just saying that he probably loved the script and/or he has some grandkids that he wants to impress so he wants to get it on it. I'm absolutely jacked he's in it
You think they are going to lowball Redford? That is interesting.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #110
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I really hope he blows me out of the water in this, cause you guys sure are talking him up.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #111
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I really hope he blows me out of the water in this, cause you guys sure are talking him up.
You have not seen a Robert Redford film? That is kind of amazing to me.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #112
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
he hasn't done a film I've heard of in like 20+ years, I'm 22 years old. If I asked 100 people my age or younger if they knew who he was I bet 80+ would say no.

He's not Jack Nicholson or Anthony Hopkins or Morgan Freeman or other older actors that still do popular stuff so I don't know why people are surprised I have no idea who he is lol.

Granted, I'm sure he's an amazing actor, I don't doubt that one bit. I just don't think him being added to the movie is a big deal to anyone under 35 or someone who isn't interested in or hasn't watched Classic movies.

All this being said I plan on getting around to the films of his that have been suggested on here before when I mentioned I didn't know him. Okie dokie bye!

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!

Last edited by mkilban2; 04-05-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #113
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
I also think comic books are stupid... I'm just a whole lot of a mess of a person to be on a site like this, but hey the MCU pulled me in and I can't get out!! So now you're all stuck with me!!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #114
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
he hasn't done a film I've heard of in like 20+ years, I'm 22 years old. If I asked 100 people my age or younger if they knew who he was I bet 80+ would say no.

He's not Jack Nicholson or Anthony Hopkins or Morgan Freeman or other older actors that still do popular stuff so I don't know why people are surprised I have no idea who he is lol.

Granted, I'm sure he's an amazing actor, I don't doubt that one bit. I just don't think him being added to the movie is a big deal to anyone under 35 or someone who isn't interested in or hasn't watched Classic movies.

All this being said I plan on getting around to the films of his that have been suggested on here before when I mentioned I didn't know him. Okie dokie bye!
I think if you asked 100 people age 22 or less if they've heard of the Sundance Film Festival, or The Natural, A River Runs Through It, The Horse Whisperer, Spy Game, Out of Africa, Ordinary People, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, *all* of them are going to find *at least* one of his movies that click.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #115
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I think if you asked 100 people age 22 or less if they've heard of the Sundance Film Festival, or The Natural, A River Runs Through It, The Horse Whisperer, Spy Game, Out of Africa, Ordinary People, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, *all* of them are going to find *at least* one of his movies that click.
Right that's not the point I was making, I know a few of those things by name but I couldn't tell you much about them or name the actors in them. I know Sundance is an Indie Film festival (I think), and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a Western flick that I see on Netflix all the time but never have watched. (yet)

But I'm not trying to stir up any debate about Mr. Redford or any fans out there, I don't want to belittle his acting career or anything like that in the slightest. I was just expressing how it doesn't seem weird to me that I don't know who he is based on his current acting career which is slim and my interest in older movies that he would be in, which is also slim. But I do plan on watching a few because I'd hate to be missing out on something I should have seen.

Blazing Saddles is something that this situation makes me think of, it's a film that my Dad loves and always told me to watch, but I thought no it's going to be a dumb old people humor type film and boy was I wrong. That movies got me to watch a bunch more of Mel Brooks' stuff and by extension Gene Wilder. That's why although I know nothing of Redford now, I do plan on watching his big films and testing the waters.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #116
ctsketch
Side-Kick

so Max says Cap 2 will reveal some secrets about the MCU. I wonder what they could be? something in this movie should have very large implications for Phase 2 is what I gather from that quote.

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #117
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
My theory is this;

I think that would be awesome!

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #118
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I prefer Redford to be someone who encountered Winter Soldier back in his prime, and although he's head of SHIELD now, is brought in because of his experience in dealing with him. Or perhaps he takes a personal interest in this because he's been hunting WS with an obsession like Moby Dick all these years. That's perhaps the only reason he gets involved whereas he normally wouldn't.

Would be cool if his obsession spurs him on to take over the case from Fury because he outranks him, and then clashes with Fury and Cap because of this. Maybe Fury is more detached emotionally, but Redford is personally involved. In the end though, maybe Redford could realise that he has to step aside for the best interests of the case and allow Cap to do his job and to let Fury take the lead.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #119
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
How is it safe to say that at all? Do you know something the rest of us don't? Otherwise what you really mean is that you're just going to go ahead and jump to conclusions based on the scant information we have.
Yep ... And hence my post right after the one you quoted.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #120
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Right that's not the point I was making, I know a few of those things by name but I couldn't tell you much about them or name the actors in them. I know Sundance is an Indie Film festival (I think), and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a Western flick that I see on Netflix all the time but never have watched. (yet)

But I'm not trying to stir up any debate about Mr. Redford or any fans out there, I don't want to belittle his acting career or anything like that in the slightest. I was just expressing how it doesn't seem weird to me that I don't know who he is based on his current acting career which is slim and my interest in older movies that he would be in, which is also slim. But I do plan on watching a few because I'd hate to be missing out on something I should have seen.

Blazing Saddles is something that this situation makes me think of, it's a film that my Dad loves and always told me to watch, but I thought no it's going to be a dumb old people humor type film and boy was I wrong. That movies got me to watch a bunch more of Mel Brooks' stuff and by extension Gene Wilder. That's why although I know nothing of Redford now, I do plan on watching his big films and testing the waters.
Good for you, dude. Can't blame you for being born in the 90s. He stars in a good number of movies on Netflix right now. I'll warn you that many of them are slower cooked movies, as they all were back in the 60s and 70s, but they're solid films, and that's a big reason why he is highly respected among moviegoers who know his work. It's too bad The Sting and Sneakers aren't available right now--those are two of my favorite heist films starring Redford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I prefer Redford to be someone who encountered Winter Soldier back in his prime, and although he's head of SHIELD now, is brought in because of his experience in dealing with him. Or perhaps he takes a personal interest in this because he's been hunting WS with an obsession like Moby Dick all these years. That's perhaps the only reason he gets involved whereas he normally wouldn't.

Would be cool if his obsession spurs him on to take over the case from Fury because he outranks him, and then clashes with Fury and Cap because of this. Maybe Fury is more detached emotionally, but Redford is personally involved. In the end though, maybe Redford could realise that he has to step aside for the best interests of the case and allow Cap to do his job and to let Fury take the lead.
That's a cool idea, though I don't know how I feel about Fury being emotionally detached. A good guess is that there will be tension between Fury and Redford's character, so if Fury doesn't even care, I don't think you get that same conflict.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #121
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
You think they are going to lowball Redford? That is interesting.

They lowball everyone, thats just how they do business. It has worked amazingly for them so far

Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #122
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post

That's a cool idea, though I don't know how I feel about Fury being emotionally detached. A good guess is that there will be tension between Fury and Redford's character, so if Fury doesn't even care, I don't think you get that same conflict.
Well, when I say emotionally detached, I don't mean he's completely devoid of emotion. It's just that he's not as personally involved as Redford could be. It would be like the argument between Captain Picard and Worf in Star Trek: First Contact which ends in "the line must be drawn here - this far and no further" where Picard also had a Moby Dick like obsession.

There, it wasn't that Worf was completely detached. Of course he was involved, but he didn't have as personal a stake in it as Picard did, because Picard had been turned into Locutus by the Borg. So Worf was able to see things more objectively. That's how I could see the difference between Fury and Redford.

Perhaps Redford became head of SHIELD because of lifelong obsession to hunt down the Winter Soldier - maybe he killed someone dear to Redford. Because Fury may not have that same personal involvement, he would know better when to wait and when to attack.

Of course, Cap would have a personal stake too - but different from Redford, because he would want to save Bucky, rather than kill him. So that's where the conflict between the three of them could arise.

But it's all speculation here anyway.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #123
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Why do you guys care so much what all these millionaires get paid?

Listen, I respect all these performers a lot, but you know what, tough **** if someone other than Robert Downey Jr. isn't getting 8 figures.

Did anyone know who Chris Hemsworth was before Thor? Nope. Downey probably got paid $250,000 for Iron Man and now he's an A-lister and a freaking rock star and everyone is in love with him.

The point is, these movies give you a little long-term job security. Maybe you don't get paid a lot early on, but later down the line they can probably get like a percentage or a back-end deal.

Unless these guys are wasting their money they should be pretty well off financially. If Marvel "low-balled" Robert Redford and Redford accepted anyway, I say good on them.

Redford's not like Mr. Box Office draw. I think its really cool he's doing the movie, but I'm not seeing Captain America 2 just because he's in it.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #124
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
They lowball everyone, thats just how they do business. It has worked amazingly for them so far
It started out of necessity ( since they didn't have much money to through at A list actors ), but I think it will remain a Marvel Studios institutional virtue. Marvel understands that its the characters and the setting that are the ultimate attraction, and they hire writers and directors and actors that serve that purpose, rather than using A list actors to create attraction.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #125
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I'm 20, I have never heard of Robert Redford. I recognize his face, but him being announced for this has literally zero effect on my anticipation. zero