The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 04-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #151
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Default Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

I just started playing, and am just starting to get a handle on the gameplay. I'm new to this genre, so the learning is going to take some time. But, I've enjoyed it so far. And, I think I'll be getting the Elite Soldier Pack. The extra customization sounds cool, and considering I got the game at much lower price, I guess spending some MS points is fine with me on this game.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #152
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

edit: LOL I came back to tell you about the elite soldier pack and you posted while I was writing mine.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #153
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Is the elite soldier pack worth it?

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #154
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Eh, depends. If you like being able to customize your soldiers, and add an extra face that is pretty much a new soldier, then yeah. I mean, the new face, the new guy, in my squad looks like Guile. So, that's cool. If that stuff doesn't matter to you at all, then no.

I'm not short on Microsoft Points, I like customization, and I did get the game at a bargain price. So, I was good with getting it.

Also, and this helps alot for me, I'm hooked on this game. I'm starting to get comfortable with style of game and wrapping my head around the rules, more or less.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #155
zenith16
Side-Kick

X-Com creator Julian Gollop on how he would have designed Enemy Unknown differently, and why it would have failed

24 Comments
at 07:00pm April 25 2013
It’s well-recognised that PC Gamer favourite XCOM was lost in rights-hell for years until Firaxis rescued it last year. In a charmingly open interview at GDC, UFO: Enemy Unknown / X-COM co-creator Julian Gollop revealed how he felt about the new game, how he would have changed it – and why it would have failed.
“I would have designed it differently, for sure.” says Gollop, of the new game. “Would it have been as successful as the new XCOM? Probably not. No, I’m afraid.”

source: PC gamer

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #156
zenith16
Side-Kick

source: GI

Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #157
zenith16
Side-Kick

Jake Solomon on XCOM iOS and the 'happy accident' of mobile strategy games

(1 hour ago)

"This isn't just like a port to a new platform," XCOM: Enemy Unknown designer Jake Solomon tells me over the phone. "From a development angle, this is one of the – and I honestly can't think of another experience except for The Walking Dead – where it's a game, a AAA game that we just put out on consoles, and we're putting the whole thing out to tablet. This is something that I can't take any design credit for, but turn-based strategy games work really well on mobile devices. It's sort of a happy accident, in that sense."

The project can be traced back to the time when Firaxis was finishing up its work on XCOM: Enemy Unknown for PC and consoles. 2K China presented a version of the game running on iOS, and from there Firaxis would work with them on the portable incarnation due this summer. It features the full functionality seen on other platforms, thanks to the Unreal foundation that has played nice with iOS since late 2010.

"Without Unreal, it certainly wouldn't have been possible," Solomon says.

Continue Reading

And on further news on this

XCOM iOS multiplayer to be added after launch

(44 minutes ago)

The iOS version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown will launch with the full single-player experience seen on consoles and PC, with multiplayer modes following later.

"We're sort of focusing our design resources on the single-player experience. We're certainly going to provide [multiplayer] after launch," XCOM: Enemy Unknown designer Jake Solomon tells Joystiq. "The single-player is what we really – we know that for it to feel like XCOM, the single-player needs a lot of our focus. So we're playing, giving feedback, making sure it feels nice and polished. It's just we're focusing our resources on single-player first."

2K Games is tentatively slating XCOM: Enemy Unknown for launch on iOS sometime this summer. Pricing is still being determined, though Solomon says the game will exact an up-front fee and won't hinge on in-app purchases.

source:Joystiq

Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #158
zenith16
Side-Kick

Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #159
zenith16
Side-Kick

Old 08-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #160
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

awesome. cant wait to get back into this game

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #161
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #162
zenith16
Side-Kick

I forgot to put this up last niht before I took off here it is

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #163
James
Built from Lego

I read that this add-on will feature 40 new maps. That alone is worth the price of admission.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #164
Soapy
It's happening again...

The new expansion sounds pretty awesome. I've been waiting on a reason to play the PC version, I guess this is it.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #165
zenith16
Side-Kick

XCOM: Enemy Within
Fighting Bigger Aliens with Bigger MEC suits
You may very well be saved from alien invasion, thanks to the wonders of gene modification and heavy MEC suits!
  1. Watch it now
  2. New class details
  3. source: Gamespot

Old 08-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #166
zenith16
Side-Kick

Last edited by zenith16; 09-01-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #167
zenith16
Side-Kick

XCOM: Enemy Within 'too big' to be DLC on Xbox 360, PS3

(5 hours ago)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown's expansion, Enemy Within, will be issued as DLC on PC and Mac for $30, but the only way to get it on consoles is through a new Commander's Edition – a retail re-release that includes the XCOM: Enemy Unknown game, the Slingshot and Elite Soldier add-ons, plus the Enemy Within expansion.

The reason for issuing the Commander's Edition is because Enemy Within is simply too large a file to patch into the console game as DLC. "For the expansion on the PC, it was fairly straightforward," Garth DeAngelis, senior producer at Firaxis Games, said during a PAX Prime interview. "But when it came to the consoles, it was too big. If we wanted to deliver the same content to the console players, we had to do it this way as a standalone expansion on a disc. We couldn't simply just patch it in."

DeAngelis added that Enemy Within includes so many changes to the base XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience – new unit types, upgrades and even skill changes – it necessitated an entire re-issue of the game. "These things are tied deeply into Enemy Unknown so we wanted to release [the Commander's Edition] as sort of the ultimate edition, with all the previous DLC on this one disc. It was either deliver it this way or not deliver it at all."

XCOM: Enemy Within, announced at Gamescom nearly a week ago, launches on November 12.

source:Joystiq

so you ether pick it up separately or have a pc or mac version as an alternative. or wait for ports for next gen like ps4 and XBone.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #168
zenith16
Side-Kick

here's a youtube video as an alternative
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Genetically altering humans has been proven (through speculative fiction) a universally bad idea. Sure, super-powered leg muscles sound like fun, but sooner or later the owner of those muscles is going to go mad with power. Before you know it, they’re leaping through space as part of a plan to punch the moon out of orbit. Still, in the world of XCOM: Enemy Within, aliens are attacking the planet. In light of that, the powers and abilities shown off in this game footage are probably for the best.
You can find the full list of planned features for the massive Enemy Unknown expansion through our announcement post. XCOM: Enemy Within is due out November 12th.

source: GI & Youtube

Last edited by zenith16; 09-04-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #169
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Thanks zenith for always keeping us updated on stuff. I appreciate it

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #170
zenith16
Side-Kick

You're welcome.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #171
zenith16
Side-Kick

XCOM: Enemy Within

PAX 2013: New Features Detailed

Learn more about mech building and genetically modifying your soldiers in XCOM: Enemy Within.

And for more here's a list of which this was put up on their Wikia page. XCOM: Enemy Within

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown

Source: GT and Fireaxis all thing's XCom Wikia

Last edited by zenith16; 09-07-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #172
zenith16
Side-Kick

XCOM: Enemy Within hands on – meet Earth’s new defenders

9 Comments
at 12:00pm September 28 2013
XCOM: Enemy Within replaces Enemy Unknown’s opening Arthur C Clarke quote with a pearl from American polymath R Buckminster Fuller. “Those who play with the Devil’s toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.”
It captures the central theme of this major expansion: how far are you prepared to warp your soldiers with alien tech before they lose touch with the race they’re defending? Fuller’s words do fall slightly askew, though. It’s not a sword, it’s a giant rocketpowered robot fist.
That fist belongs to Rebecca ‘Freya’ Berry, a US soldier strapped into a ten-foot-tall mech suit. I’m playing through a battle at Firaxis HQ, Maryland, surrounded by a squadron of design leads, all quietly waiting to see what I’ll do with this destructive new toy. The XCOM fundamentals remain unchanged: you build a base, research alien tech, conduct autopsies and invent new gear for your soldiers to utilise in turn-based human vs alien skirmishes. Enemy Within introduces new enemies, units, classes, gear, abilities, maps and more to grow that base game into something bigger, tougher and full of giant robots.

source: Pc gamer

Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #173
zenith16
Side-Kick

1. Article | 2 days ago | 106
    Between Robocop and an X-Wing Pilot: Designing XCOM's MEC Trooper

Senior game designer Ananda Gupta explains the science and sacrifice behind XCOM: Enemy Within's new class, the mechanized exoskeletal cybersuit.

source: Game spot

Old 10-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #174
zenith16
Side-Kick

XCOM: Enemy Within Covert Ops Hands On

14 hours 53 minutes ago - Firaxis' lead designer joins us for a Covert Operation against an all-new enemy. Read More »

and

XCOM: Enemy Within trailer introduces the Exalt, hints at base defence missions

18 Comments
at 03:11pm October 9 2013

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Here’s a trailer that focuses on the Exalt: those covert enemy operatives that Tyler revealed in his XCOM: Enemy Within preview. They’re an enemy within, you see. Within the expansion, within your species, and, as your trailer shows, within your own base. While the trailer consists entirely of cutscene, it does suggest that base defence missions could be making a return.

source: GI, IGN & Pc gamer

Last edited by zenith16; 10-09-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #175
zenith16
Side-Kick

The covert operative class and missions will be interesting. Ok so from what they showed in the article and two videos above and just put on their wikia page.
Quote:
EXALT

The expansion introduces a new enemy faction in the form of a clandestine human terrorist organization titled EXALT. While not allied with the aliens, EXALT harbor transhumanist ideals and sympathize with the aliens' effort to evolve mankind; where others fear or resist the alien invasion, EXALT sees it as their opportunity acquire the resources they need to seize power. So like XCOM, EXALT is operating in the shadows and endeavoring to recover alien technology and harness the powers of gene modification but, unlike XCOM, their ultimate goal is to rule the world.
EXALT actively works to disrupt XCOM's activities as they oppose XCOM's efforts to stop the aliens' invasion and human experimentation and XCOM is a rival in the acquisition of alien technology. To this end, EXALT infiltrate council nations all around the world and set up sleeper cells which can initiate one of three different operations against XCOM: Sabotage, steals funding from XCOM; Propaganda, increase panic in the country where the cell is located; or a Research Hack, delays or even reverses progress on the project currently being researched. XCOM commanders will be able to scan for EXALT activity from the situation room and be able to launch and command covert operations against them.
To eliminate EXALT as an enemy, XCOM commanders will be collecting clues as to which country their main base is located in. If the XCOM commander guesses the wrong country, that council member will not appreciate the accusation that they harbor the transhumanist group and pull their funding. This will permanently cease their support for the XCOM project.
EXALT operatives will be upgraded through genetic modification, increasing their threat on the battlefield. EXALT operatives generally wear every day clothing, such as shirts and ties, rather than armor, as they are not trained soldiers.
EXALT has four classes of paramilitary agents that maybe encountered in the field:
  • Operative
  • Sniper
  • Heavy
  • Medic
Additionally it has been revealed that as the game progresses these agents will receive upgraded equipment (laser tier weapons are seen in the Security Breach Trailer) and new extreme gene mods (unavailable even to your soldiers).
Class Changes and New Technology

• Support's Deep Pockets now gives an additional charge to limited use items like Grenades, Arc Throwers, Medikits, etc.
  • Support's Covering Fire now fires before the enemy uses its weapon.
  • Assault's Close and Personal perk is now called Up Close and Personal: gives a free shot when within 4 tiles of an enemy.
  • Heavy's HEAT Ammo damage bonus reduced to +50% against robots.
  • Sniper's Snap Shot aim penalty reduced from -20 to -10.
  • Sniper's Squad Sight only gives Critical Damage if Headshot is used.
  • New grenades:
    • Needle Grenade has a big blast radius but doesn't destroy cover or affect allies/enemies in cover from the grenade's blast origin; unlocked after researching Chryssalid Autopsy
    • Stealth Grenade splashes allies with a temporary invisibility paint
    • Gas Grenade uses synthesized Thin Man poison; robotic units are immune.
    • Flashbang Grenade disorients enemies (severe Aim and movement penalties); robotic units are immune.
  • Mimic Beacon: An item which tossed similar to a grenade that emits a signal that tricks aliens into thinking it's human, drawing them towards it and away from any nearby player units; the beacon won't fool robotic or psionic aliens.
  • Respirator Implant: An item that works similar to a Nano-fiber Vest by adding health, but also provides immunity to the Seeker's Strangle attack. (Chitin Plating has also been improved to provide Strangle immunity.)
  • Reaper Rounds grant ballistic weapons a bonus to Critical Hit chance but with reduced accuracy.
  • New Foundry projects:
    • Tactical Rigging: Available early in the game, but relatively expensive, this upgrade will grant all classes two item slots.
    • Shaped Armor: adds extra health to all MEC Troopers and S.H.I.V.s.
    • Advanced Servomotors: will increase mobility for all MEC Troopers and S.H.I.V.s.
Gameplay and Interface Changes

• The game intro will receive a new quote, replacing the one from Arthur C. Clarke:
    • “Those who play with the devil’s toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.” -Buckminster Fuller
  • There will be a new tutorial mission introducing Meld that can be played in addition to or in place of the regular tutorial mission or disabled completely.
  • The expansion will include the Operation Progeny content (originally planned as a DLC release like Slingshot) which has been tweaked to fit with the expansion's new narrative elements, but can still be enabled/disabled separately like Slingshot.
  • Enemies that don't utilize cover (Mechtoids, Cyberdiscs, Sectopods) may enter Overwatch when spotted.
  • S.H.I.V.s can receive a Sentinel Mode upgrade that gives them a Close Combat Specialist-like ability and receive additional bonuses from upgrades that also improve MECs.
  • New Second Wave options:
    • Aiming Angles: Flanking system reworked with the closer a unit gets to flanking an enemy, the more its cover bonus declines.
    • Save Scum: Saving a game will reset the RNG seed for the shots.
    • Itchy Trigger Tentacle: Non-cover aliens (Mechtoid and Sectopod) have a 50% chance of firing at your soldiers upon being spotted.
    • Training Roulette: After a Soldier receives a Class and their first ability, additional ranks can grant randomized abilities from a pool of the all the Class abilities sets minus any skills that are dependent on a specific weapons (which are still Class locked). So you could have an Assault with Sprinter or a Heavy with Deep Pockets
  • Panic rebalanced to make it less likely for soldiers to fire on their squad mates; panic will now include an Aim penalty which will also make those rarer incidents of "friendly fire" less likely to hit.
  • Critical bonus of stealth attacks reduced from 100 to 30.
  • Pre-mission/squad selection User Interface improvements: Equipped items for soldiers now appear below each soldier's name and rank in and there will be a button ("Make item available") in the that strips all equipment from any soldiers not currently assigned to the Skyranger team.
  • You can now personalize your soldier's voice using the available audio packs for the current language localizations (French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Polish).
  • Memorial Wall will now feature "killed by" information with each name.
  • There's an option to disable Dr. Vahlen's and Dr. Shen's tutorial voice overs.
  • Normal difficulty may actually be slightly easier to beat due to the new tech but Classic and Impossible difficulties will be getting harder; in addition to the challenge of new enemies, research times and experience required for soldiers to rank up will be slightly increased.
  • According to a recent Kotaku article, Sectopods may be receiving buffs to increase their toughness when compared to the Mechtoid.
  • There will be new helmets, new armor decos for all armor types, and even new tint colors for customizing your soldiers. The colorization of main weapons is now affected by the tinting chosen for armor.
  • There will be a number of bug fixes (including the "teleport bug" and a variety of cover related bugs).
  • Laboratories will offer some incremental protection against Research Hacks by EXALT.
New Maps

• There will be 47 new maps. New map types will include a bank, a new truck stop, a roadhouse, an ice cream shop, a coffee shop, a dam, an automobile repair/service shop, a rural highway construction site and several new crashed UFO maps (urban, farm, and possibly even snow).
  • Some of the original Enemy Unknown maps have been "tweaked", some to address exploding cars issues and to add Meld containers; old and new maps will be mixed together but the game is set so that you'll see more of the new maps during a gameplay (for initial playthroughs but evening out over time).
New Missions

Covert Operations

The expansion introduces Covert Operations as a way to counter the threat possessed by EXALT and these missions bring new strategic and tactical challenges to the game.
Covert Data Recovery
Covert Extraction
Operation Progeny

Other

Based on achievement analysis, scenes from the Security Breach trailer, and many allusions by Ananda Gupta, it is likely some sort of XCOM base mission is also included in the expansion.
Multiplayer

• You can now edit your squad and save several loadouts in offline mode.
  • Multiplayer unit costs been rebalanced: Rookies and other basic units have received point reductions as have AoE weapons like grenades and rockets.
  • Mechtoid and Seeker added.
  • 8 more maps for Multiplayer.

Easter Eggs

• Some Easter Eggs related to The Bureau: XCOM Declassified will be hidden in the expansion: a fedora is one of the new helmet/hair options available to soldiers and in an interview with The Sixth Axis, Ananda hinted specifically at combing the database and renaming a soldier for others.
http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Within

source: XCOM:_Enemy_Within's wikia

Last edited by zenith16; 10-11-2013 at 03:37 AM.