The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #126
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: Robert Redford offically joins Cap:TWS

Yeah I'm 19 and I had never heard of Redford until the casting.

Or rather I never paid attention. I watched Three Days of the Condor but didn't know he was the lead until last week lol.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #127
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

How have you not heard of Robert Redford?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #128
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
It started out of necessity ( since they didn't have much money to through at A list actors ), but I think it will remain a Marvel Studios institutional virtue. Marvel understands that its the characters and the setting that are the ultimate attraction, and they hire writers and directors and actors that serve that purpose, rather than using A list actors to create attraction.

When you consider that out-of-control star salaries are a major contributor to Hollywood's chronic budget problems, Marvel Studios' strategy seems most sensible. Feige & Co. are not going to blow $20 million on Johnny Depp or Will Smith when they can hire talented actors for a fraction of that. Frankly, no studio should shell out that much money to anyone because it's wasteful and rarely pays off. (Ask the folks who paid Vin Diesel $20 million for The Chronicles of Riddick how that worked out for them.)

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #129
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGenerate10 View Post
How have you not heard of Robert Redford?
Probably because he hasn't been in anything big for over a decade? :/

It's not like people are walking down the street talking about Robert Redford.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #130
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

the old timers (35+'ers) have a hard time dealing with the fact that people 25 and under have no idea who Robert Redford is lol. Like I've said before I'm sure he's a great actor, but he's just not a Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson type where he's still prominent in todays media who were stars 30 years ago as well.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #131
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I'm 19 and I love Robert Redford, The Great Gatsby and Butch Cassiday are some of my favorite movies and I can't wait to see him in my favorite super hero's movie.

Norrin Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #132
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
the old timers (35+'ers) have a hard time dealing with the fact that people 25 and under have no idea who Robert Redford is lol. Like I've said before I'm sure he's a great actor, but he's just not a Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson type where he's still prominent in todays media who were stars 30 years ago as well.
When I was only 20 I had heard of most of the classic actors from the golden era of Hollywood who were well before my time and who hadn't even starred in a movie for decades. I don't think it's to do with age but how much of a film buff you are.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #133
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
When you consider that out-of-control star salaries are a major contributor to Hollywood's chronic budget problems, Marvel Studios' strategy seems most sensible. Feige & Co. are not going to blow $20 million on Johnny Depp or Will Smith when they can hire talented actors for a fraction of that. Frankly, no studio should shell out that much money to anyone because it's wasteful and rarely pays off. (Ask the folks who paid Vin Diesel $20 million for The Chronicles of Riddick how that worked out for them.)
Thank you, I feel the exact same way. Look how Vin Diesel's career suffered until he came back with F&F 4.

I mean, seriously, they spent over $250 million on Lone Ranger!

I mean is it any wonder why Hollywood is churning out these micro-budget found footage thingies like PARANORMAL ACTIVITY when they deliver tons of profit at virtually a fraction of the cost?

I think salaries and asking prices needed to be brought back to earth. I mean look at Tom Cruise, even he is hit and miss as of late.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #134
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
When I was only 20 I had heard of most of the classic actors from the golden era of Hollywood who were well before my time and who hadn't even starred in a movie for decades. I don't think it's to do with age but how much of a film buff you are.
yep that's it as well. As we can see there's a person up there who said they were 19 and have seen Redford's stuff. It just all comes down to if you've seen the classics or if the actor is still in the mainstream media I suppose. But I'm pumped to have him in this film that's for sure

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #135
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Well nope I'm not really a film buff. I'm a comic book buff who likes the movies.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #136
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I'm 20, I have never heard of Robert Redford. I recognize his face, but him being announced for this has literally zero effect on my anticipation. zero
I don't think Redford's appearance is going to win new fans over that weren't there before. Instead, Redford's adding gravitas to the cast which is going to make movie critics and other actors, and Hollywood in general, sit up and take note that this movie is intended to carry a *lot* more weight than the first one. This has just become Serious Business in Hollywood. In much the same way that Branagh's name made all the Shakespearean theater crowd recognize that Thor was going to be more than just a popcorn flick.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #137
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Thank you, I feel the exact same way. Look how Vin Diesel's career suffered until he came back with F&F 4.

I mean, seriously, they spent over $250 million on Lone Ranger!

I mean is it any wonder why Hollywood is churning out these micro-budget found footage thingies like PARANORMAL ACTIVITY when they deliver tons of profit at virtually a fraction of the cost?

I think salaries and asking prices needed to be brought back to earth. I mean look at Tom Cruise, even he is hit and miss as of late.

This is all too true. Hollywood execs have been whining for years about spiraling salaries and budgets, yet they still pay people like Angelina Jolie $19 million to star in flops. (She and Depp combined made $39 million for The Tourist.)

Actors can't be faulted for asking for and taking these ridiculous salaries because it's the studios that agree to pay them. The execs were the ones who decided that Vin Diesel was worth $20 million after a couple of modestly successful films; Diesel just deposited the check and turned in his usual wooden performance. Kristen Stewart is bagging $12.5 million per film, though her post-Twihard earnings may plummet. As long as mediocre actors are getting paydays like those, budgets are going to keep skyrocketing.

There are other budget factors, of course. Like directors who insist on building full-scale railroad trains while their stars take $35 million off the top (Lone Ranger); films that go into production with bad scripts that require months of rewriting and reshoots (World War Z and MIB III); big budget entries from novice directors who have no idea how to film live-action set pieces (John Carter); and $200 million movies based on board games nobody plays anymore (Battle****). Studio execs (and Taylor Kitsch) were responsible for most of that nonsense. Even if they rein in the salaries, mistakes made in the executive suites will still lead to unnecessarily bloated budgets.

Last edited by xeno000; 04-07-2013 at 01:56 AM.
xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #138
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I don't think Redford's appearance is going to win new fans over that weren't there before. Instead, Redford's adding gravitas to the cast which is going to make movie critics and other actors, and Hollywood in general, sit up and take note that this movie is intended to carry a *lot* more weight than the first one. This has just become Serious Business in Hollywood. In much the same way that Branagh's name made all the Shakespearean theater crowd recognize that Thor was going to be more than just a popcorn flick.
It's sort of like how they got Tommy Lee Jones for CA: TFA and it added a sense of credibility to it. After the Avengers, I think Marvel Studios really has a lot of juice now and actors now have to seriously consider them a major Hollywood player.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #139
weezerspider
Side-Kick

You guys ever heard of Sundance Film Festival? Thats Redford's brain child. The guy is a hollywood legend. Go watch 'Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid' and 'The Sting'. Both great films that you have to be a stick in the mud to not like.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #140
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
You guys ever heard of Sundance Film Festival? Thats Redford's brain child. The guy is a hollywood legend. Go watch 'Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid' and 'The Sting'. Both great films that you have to be a stick in the mud to not like.
He may be a Hollywood legend but for many younger people, his name and work is largely forgotten/overlooked since he hasn't done a lot of major films in the last decade.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #141
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
He may be a Hollywood legend but for many younger people, his name and work is largely forgotten/overlooked since he hasn't done a lot of major films in the last decade.
Maybe the average teenager, but anyone who's a decent fan of cinema knows him. My nephew is 20 and he wouldn't be considered a film buff by any stretch and he's seen Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid among others.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #142
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
agreed. I know of the things he's done and been in. (sundance film festival, and Butch Cassidy) but I've never known of him. So his stamp is there, just never knew him directly lol.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #143
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

The Sting is like the old Mission:Impossible TV series - really very similar in some ways, since it borrowed from the same con book source material. And Sneakers is actually like that TV series too. Both are more like the series than the actual Mission: Impossible films.

Sneakers = Head of SHIELD vs The Mandarin

Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #144
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I am sure he's good. I just simply never heard of him. Which is odd, cause I am a movie buff as well. I see every movie that comes out. I can't remember the last "week" where I didn't go to the movies

Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #145
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Okay. Odd that this is even a question, but who thinks Redford is actually playing "Nick Fury"?

That Sam Jackson's Nick Fury is in trouble due to the events of The Avengers and another codename "Nick Fury" is going to (temporarily) take his place?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #146
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I don't think he's actually playing 616 Nick Fury, but it will be a combination of Fury and Alexander Pierce. Fury's look and backstory and Pierce's name and personality. Wouldn't be surprised if it were Fury's personality though.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #147
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Okay. Odd that this is even a question, but who thinks Redford is actually playing "Nick Fury"?

That Sam Jackson's Nick Fury is in trouble due to the events of The Avengers and another codename "Nick Fury" is going to (temporarily) take his place?
Why would Redford be "Nick Fury".....?

Redford is playing a character named Pierce. That much is known. He might or might not be a very obscure character from the 1988 "Nick Fury vs. SHIELD" book named Alexander Pierce, but that's just speculation based on circumstantial evidence. Feige has hinted that his role is similar to Fiennes as the New M in Skyfall, which tends to point to "Pierce" taking over as head of SHIELD, but again: circumstantial evidence and supposition.

In any event, if Pierce takes over SHIELD, there's no reason whatsoever to read anything sinister or dramatic about that. Fury is not the end-all/be-all of SHIELD; he's just the Director. Directors get replaced all the time, and it's extremely rare that this entails anything more than a new guy getting promoted in the old guy's place.

You guys are reading way too much into Pierce's relationship with Nick Fury here. The movie is about Captain America, not Nick Fury. The only important relationship, good or bad, for Pierce will be his interactions with Steve.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #148
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

If they're setting up Civil War elements for Avengers 2 or further on then Fury being "fired" or being forced to go into hiding and a new person coming in, in this case Redford, makes sense. Not that that's the way I want them to go but that's one possible scenario.

For all we know Redford is being brought in by the WSC to watch over Fury and keep him on his toes or something, or he's a secret big baddie or any multitude of possibilities. I don't think the "Pierce" character is going to be too big of a deal. It's possible he's the Maria Hill of Avengers:EMH to take over for Fury since Cobie isn't the strongest actress, or he's nothing important at all in the grand scheme of things.

but it's safe to say many are reading wayyy too into this right now. Let's wait a few months haha

Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #149
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I am sure he's good. I just simply never heard of him. Which is odd, cause I am a movie buff as well. I see every movie that comes out. I can't remember the last "week" where I didn't go to the movies
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? If it's the USA, consider me shocked, as Redford's as much of an American icon as Nicholson, Jon Voight, Gene Hackman, etc. (from the same era as those guys - he was the "All-American Heartthrob" of the group). The only difference between him and Nicholson, etc, is that like Hackman, he's been in pseudo-retirement for the last decade or so (while Hackman's in full-retirement).

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting
The Great Gatsby
All The President's Men
The Natural
The Way We Were
Out of Africa
Indecent Proposal

...none of those are remotely obscure - they're mainstream popular classics that even most casual movie buffs are at least familiar with. I'm not trying to give you a hard time for not knowing who he is, but I'm just wondering if this is a cultural thing (since he truly is the personification of the "All-American" guy, so maybe his iconic status was largely restricted to the USA). For the record, I'm 27, and I've known who Robert Redford was since I was about 11 or 12. He and Paul Newman were one of the great on-screen duos.

He's also the guy who pretty much always gets fan-cast as Captain America in those "cast it from another era" discussions because back in the day, he looked and sounded like Steve Rogers walked right off the page, lol.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 04-08-2013 at 03:09 AM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #150
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? If it's the USA, consider me shocked, as Redford's as much of an American icon as Nicholson, Jon Voight, Gene Hackman, etc. (from the same era as those guys - he was the "All-American Heartthrob" of the group). The only difference between him and Nicholson, etc, is that like Hackman, he's been in pseudo-retirement for the last decade or so (while Hackman's in full-retirement).

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting
The Great Gatsby
All The President's Men
The Natural
The Way We Were
Out of Africa
Indecent Proposal

...none of those are remotely obscure - they're mainstream popular classics that even most casual movie buffs are at least familiar with. I'm not trying to give you a hard time for not knowing who he is, but I'm just wondering if this is a cultural thing (since he truly is the personification of the "All-American" guy, so maybe his iconic status was largely restricted to the USA). For the record, I'm 27, and I've known who Robert Redford was since I was about 11 or 12. He and Paul Newman were one of the great on-screen duos.

He's also the guy who pretty much always gets fan-cast as Captain America in those "cast it from another era" discussions because back in the day, he looked and sounded like Steve Rogers walked right off the page, lol.
^ This, except that his iconic status isn't just restricted to the US.