View Poll Results: Re-cast Hal?
Yes 128 58.45%
No 91 41.55%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #426
dnno1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Dude, it's a difference of three years. Comparing it to Regan era politics to today is a bit over the top. Plus, even if there is a 2% change in the make up of RT critics, does that invalidate their opinions? Films are, after all, not critiqued in a vacuum, they are very much informed by their context.
I am saying that it's a different makeup. A difference of ten critics is enough to make a film rotten or fresh irrespective of the years.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #427
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hats_Off View Post
They should really keep Ryan for the GL part. He looks the part of Hal Jordan *perfectly* and he also played it fine.

Any issues with the GL film weren't so much on him, not one bit. They got the casting of both him and Mark Strong as Sinestro nailed.

The problem with he movie was the script, the writing and the villain/villain casting.

I say keep him because it's set up to make a really awesome movie with an epic duel between him and Mark Strong.

I also prefer continuity, and planting strong roots and foundation to build on.
I agree with u no doubt, but I also see WB and their view. Because it's business, and GL (for better or worse is associated with Ryan) bombed so bad. Like really bad. And even worse with audiences.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #428
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I am saying that it's a different makeup. A difference of ten critics is enough to make a film rotten or fresh irrespective of the years.
There is a difference of 41% in the tomato meter between Hulk (67%) and Lantern (26%), so while it is true ten critics make a minor difference, it was obviously far, far more than ten critics in this case. Out of 220 reviews counted, Incredible Hulk has 73 rotten reviews, out of 225 reviews, Green lantern has 166 rotten reviews. That is an alarming difference that exceeds whatever "makeup" time (only three years) brings about.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #429
Project862006
Banned User

hector hammond/paralax really was a terrible villain choice

i understand they wanted to build up sinestro but damn pic the manhunters or something

Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #430
shauner111
Side-Kick

It all comes down to them, and that choice. If they just went with Sinestro, we would have had a much better script automatically. Even with that writing team.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #431
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

And they should have definitely stayed in space. I think the DTV movie did a good job. With Hal following Sinestro on Missions, disapproving of his brutal methods, and eventually discovering his evil plans.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #432
shauner111
Side-Kick

You saw it twice? Oh man, ur a champ for enduring that. I agree that there was no direction. A romantic comedy then Top Gun then Star Wars, yeah..it felt like that. They should have stayed with the whole Stars Wars feel.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #433
Razgriz-Specter
Side-Kick

I don't think they should recast him or reboot Green Lantern.
Use John Stewart in Justice League if it does good enough make a John Stewart & Hal(don't advertise) vs Sinestro movie
In a third have Hal as Parallax.

They already risked the money on it. It wasn't successful but it wasn't the biggest bomb ever.
instead of risking it all over again why not just try building it up off of Justice League which is also a risk but a safer one and will likely be made anyway.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #434
shauner111
Side-Kick

I thought it was awful. Super cheesy. Everything about it was horrible with the exception of a few Reynolds/Hal scenes and a few of the scenes Sinestro was a part of. Even those could have been written better.

That movie and continuity shouldn't step anywhere near what Nolan/Snyder have created. It's like two polar opposites. It's the equivalent to using Brandon Routh and the Superman Returns (Donner verse) continuity with Nolans TDK trilogy.

If they want to bring Reynolds back with a complete makeover, OK. Im down with that. He was decent, sometimes solid, sometimes too goofy but OK. But if it means bringing the movie along for the ride? Hell no. Toss him out. Reboot Hal or use John. The audiences wont care.

Everyone I speak to, fan or no fan, if they saw the movie or even clips...they think it sucked and they laugh when I mention "Reynolds might be back". The reaction is always "Hahaha oh god, they cant use that, they need to bring someone else in". The GA and most fans honestly don't give a damn about Reynolds returning. Even if Batman is rebooted.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #435
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I thought it was awful. Super cheesy. Everything about it was horrible with the exception of a few Reynolds/Hal scenes and a few of the scenes Sinestro was a part of. Even those could have been written better.

That movie and continuity shouldn't step anywhere near what Nolan/Snyder have created. It's like two polar opposites. It's the equivalent to using Brandon Routh and the Superman Returns (Donner verse) continuity with Nolans TDK trilogy.

If they want to bring Reynolds back with a complete makeover, OK. Im down with that. He was decent, sometimes solid, sometimes too goofy but OK. But if it means bringing the movie along for the ride? Hell no. Toss him out. Reboot Hal or use John. The audiences wont care.

Everyone I speak to, fan or no fan, if they saw the movie or even clips...they think it sucked and they laugh when I mention "Reynolds might be back". The reaction is always "Hahaha oh god, they cant use that, they need to bring someone else in". The GA and most fans honestly don't give a damn about Reynolds returning. Even if Batman is rebooted.
THIS. i've noticed the exact same thing with people i know. The movie has become a joke in their eyes. They all think it would be a negative thing for Reynolds to return. he was pretty bad. Not terrible but definitely bad.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #436
shauner111
Side-Kick

It's like this all over the place im sure. People don't want to see him back and Reynolds knows this. The studio is aware. elmayimbe even said they wouldn't go near him again.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #437
Rorschach2012
$

The suggestion of a Green Lantern movie with John Stewart and Hal (not marketed) against Sinestro is such a good idea. Maybe with another villain, because both of them need a nemesis, and Hal's is obviously Sinestro.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #438
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It's not going to happen though. They aren't going to make a John/Hal team-up against Sinestro live action movie.

If we ever see Green Lantern in live action again it would be in Justice League. And it should be John Stewart.

- CM Punk
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #439
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

I still want a soft reboot- a requel if you may. Something that does not mess with the continuity and can bring Sinesto back but changes Hal for now so that the public apathy against him doesn't effect the movie.
I've mentioned my ideal scenario before.

I also am on the same boat here. I think RR was as bad as the rest of the movie was (Sinestro excluded) but I don't think the GA will look at it that way.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #440
LEVITIKUZ
HE'S COMING HOME!!!

I wouldn't mind him returning.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #441
Tyrone Parker
The real black Spiderman

It would be shame waste the setup they have for an epic sequal set in space with Sinestro turning evil.

I want this more than a Batman movie. We've had enough Batman movies for now.

Lets see some other heroes for a change.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #442
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

If Ryan Reynolds does not reprise the role of Hal Jordan, how about Scott Porter {Friday Night Lights} as Hal?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #443
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Since Reynolds doesn't even want to come back, I don't want him back. If he hates the role, he'll do a bad job. Even if he didn't hate the role before GL 2011, he does now so I'd rather get someone a little more optimistic in here who'll put forth the effort. Like the Nolan Bat trilogy, I say we let Reynolds' GL go.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #444
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

I'm still on a bradly cooper (though he may be getting up their in age) and chris pine state of mind.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #445
shauner111
Side-Kick

I agree with Cooper and Pine. But Bradley will be aged out most likely. He's a year younger than Bale. It MAY work if Bale comes back but if not we'll be seeing a younger Bruce Wayne. You don't want an early 40s Hal Jordan as the oldest of the team. About 10 years older than Superman. So that's a shame.

Pine will always be a fantastic choice. His Captain Kirk is friggin Hal Jordan. That could be bad because he probably wont want to be in another ensemble franchise. Unless Star Trek 2 is the last one for years to come (Star Wars may put new Star Trek movies on hold for a while, especially since it's Abrams). So maybe Pine will float his way onto DC territory.

It's the perfect role for him. But I don't think he likes comics or the character, from his reaction about being offered the role in 2009. Then again, he had the first Star Trek heating up at the time and he was probably pitched the idea and turned it down cuz of that bad script. He never auditioned, I know that much. Bradley did, and he even said he's not cut out for superhero roles.

I have an idea for after JL. If you can do a World's Finest between Batman and Superman. Or even a Trinity with Wonder Woman. Why cant u pull off a fantastical-buddy cop movie between Hal & Barry??

Hilarious and bad-ass at the same time. Enough emotions and great action scenes/visuals but a really entertaining pair between Green Lantern and Flash. Maybe Sinestro teams up with one of Flash's key villains. Saves them from doing another Hal centric GL movie & risking failure, but it still gets him in another movie in the form of a different actor.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #446
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
I agree with Cooper and Pine. But Bradley will be aged out most likely. He's a year younger than Bale. It MAY work if Bale comes back but if not we'll be seeing a younger Bruce Wayne. You don't want an early 40s Hal Jordan as the oldest of the team. About 10 years older than Superman. So that's a shame.

Pine will always be a fantastic choice. His Captain Kirk is friggin Hal Jordan. That could be bad because he probably wont want to be in another ensemble franchise. Unless Star Trek 2 is the last one for years to come (Star Wars may put new Star Trek movies on hold for a while, especially since it's Abrams). So maybe Pine will float his way onto DC territory.

It's the perfect role for him. But I don't think he likes comics or the character, from his reaction about being offered the role in 2009. Then again, he had the first Star Trek heating up at the time and he was probably pitched the idea and turned it down cuz of that bad script. He never auditioned, I know that much. Bradley did, and he even said he's not cut out for superhero roles.

I have an idea for after JL. If you can do a World's Finest between Batman and Superman. Or even a Trinity with Wonder Woman. Why cant u pull off a fantastical-buddy cop movie between Hal & Barry??

Hilarious and bad-ass at the same time. Enough emotions and great action scenes/visuals but a really entertaining pair between Green Lantern and Flash. Maybe Sinestro teams up with one of Flash's key villains. Saves them from doing another Hal centric GL movie & risking failure, but it still gets him in another movie in the form of a different actor.
If this happens, it would have to come either far into the future or after Justice League.

After Green Lantern 2011's impact, the character's position in a bad light (pun intended) could seriously hurt the film. And while lots of people know who the Flash is and the fact that he can run fast, the GA aren't attached enough to make a special trip to see his movie yet. That's why doing Justice League with him in a prominent role within that film would be ideal before tackling this. If the audience falls in love with him, it'd be a whole lot easier to sell the idea even if GL doesn't win people over in his JL stardom.

I like the idea though. I feel like they could sell it as a comedy but with a serious story and play up a comedian/straight man dynamic that could carry from their relationship in Justice League. They'd just have to pick a really good villain that will move said serious plot along without disrupting the lighthearted side entirely.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #447
shauner111
Side-Kick

After JL, after Flash and the new GL have been established to the public. Same actors from JL.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #448
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

I've given this plenty of thought and I keep coming back to the same place. It isn't about Reynolds, it's about which GL fits JLA better.

I've watched the GL movie 6 times now (I own the Bluray) and it's rep for being a "bomb" is often overstated, and Reynolds wasn't the problem. GL didn't rely on its own pulpy mythos enough, and that's what stopped it from realizing its potential.

But a JLA movie needs its own "Avengers Assemble" moment in a character who can organize the team like Captain America did. That certainly isn't Hal, Barry, or Supes. Batman has the intelligence, but he's always been a reluctant leader.

The choice seems obvious: John Stewart. While that character's history doesn't have the depth of Jordan's, Stewart is a natural for a super hero team. It probably won't happen, but I'm convinced it should.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #449
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

or it could be wondy. she is a warrior princess ambassador/emissary after all.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #450
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Why don't they do a Ghost Rider 2 type thing?

Closed Thread