Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #976
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Default Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines

http://kotaku.com/sega-cancels-alien...ii-u-470877248

Quote:
We first heard a few months ago that the Wii U version of the disastrous shooter had been "indefinitely postponed," but Sega denied that. Since then, the publisher has refused to comment on this version of Aliens: Colonial Marines. Now it's official.

"We are constantly looking at all areas of our business and in this case have made the decision to not continue development of the Wii U version," a Sega rep told Kotaku. "Rest assured that we have some fantastic developments for Wii U in the pipeline which we will announce at a later date."
And with that comes a sad bookend to this story.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #977
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

So when do the lawsuits start?

- CM Punk
Old 04-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #978
jacobed
Banned User

I think Sega is going to sue the pants off of Gearbox. Rightfully so

Old 04-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #979
Sparta*
~Servant of Shao Kahn~

I told my friend not to buy this game lol what a waste of money!! he coulda saved that for bioshock infinite which he cant get now oh the hideous irony

Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #980
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate

Anybody want my copy? $50

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Old 04-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #981
KevanG
Brony

What was that? I think your computer made a typo by adding an extra zero there.

#saveWontkinsMom
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #982
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The thing is, didn't the game STILL sell well?

Well I mean, I'm sure they shipped a lot of copies, but did they actually sell a lot?

- CM Punk
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #983
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
The thing is, didn't the game STILL sell well?

Well I mean, I'm sure they shipped a lot of copies, but did they actually sell a lot?
That was before the bad word had really gotten out. No one would buy a Wii release at this point.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #984
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I realize that, but even with all the bad word, it still seemed to sell alright.

- CM Punk
Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #985
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

It had a strong opening and then sales plummeted.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #986
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I don't know if there's enough for Sega to sue. If the leaks about what happened were true, then shipping the game was to avoid a lawsuit.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #987
jacobed
Banned User

If the rumors turn out to be true though, that they were using Sega's money for Borderlands. Oh man they are in serious trouble

Old 04-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #988
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

Developers don't have to use monies from publishers for a project on that project alone. It only becomes a legal issue if said developer consistently fails to deliver product by the intended deadline. It's why Gearbox had to release the game in the state it was in. They exhausted Sega's goodwill to the point that they either had to ship what they had or face legal action over their dawdling. It's also why Demiurge, Nerve, TimeGate, and Darkside had to help them finish it. They were so under the gun, the lighting in the final game was confirmed by a level designer to have been outsourced to a Chinese company. That's why the dynamic lighting in the E3 demo is mysteriously unaccounted for in the retail version.

I'm not a lawyer, so your guess is as good as mine if Sega will sue. Pitchford claims he'll be losing a lot of money over this game, and Sega's been curiously quiet about the game. They could just interpret this as a RE6 situation, where they shipped and sold a ton of copies to cover production costs, without ultimately turning the profit they'd hoped. But nobody knows to what tune Sega pumped money into this game over the half-decade it floated in limbo. So maybe they've lost out more than any of us know. I can say for sure that it'll be a long time before the two work together again, if ever.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #989
Soapy
It's happening again...

It may not be illegal to use publisher money for other projects (I actually have to idea), but it seems very irresponsible and disrespectful to do so.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #990
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Gearbox, SEGA Sued Over Aliens: Colonial Marines
Class action lawsuit alleges false advertising leading up to launch.

A class action lawsuit has been filed against SEGA and Gearbox regarding Aliens: Colonial Marines. In a lawsuit obtained by Polygon, plaintiff Damion Perrine claims “that Gearbox and Sega falsely advertised Aliens by showing demos at trade shows like PAX and E3 which didn't end up being accurate representations of the final product.”

The demos were advertised as “actual gameplay” at the time, yet portrayed a level of “graphical fidelity, AI behavior and even entire levels not featured in the game.” The suit explains that by having reviews under an embargo that lifted the day of release, consumers did not have time to learn from critics about the difference in quality in the final product compared to early footage.

"Each of the 'actual gameplay' demonstrations purported to show consumers exactly what they would be buying: a cutting edge video game with very specific features and qualities," the claim argues. "Unfortunately for their fans, Defendants never told anyone — consumers, industry critics, reviewers, or reporters — that their 'actual gameplay' demonstration advertising campaign bore little resemblance to the retail product that would eventually be sold to a large community of unwitting purchasers."

The suit also points to this tweet from Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford, which acknowledges that the difference between the original demo and final game is “understood and fair and we are looking at that. Lots of info to parse, lots of stake holders to respect.”

Earlier this month, SEGA agreed to add a disclaimer to trailers stating that they are not reflective of the final product. The Wii U version of the game was later canceled.

We’ve reached out to SEGA and Gearbox about the suit and will update this story with any comment we receive. For more on the differences between Colonial Marines demos and the final product, read our analysis of whether or not early screenshots lied to you.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #991
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Haha, whether successful or not I hope various parties keep this kind of stuff going and it never quietens down.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #992
jacobed
Banned User

I don't know. Its a little ridiculous to sue over a bad game. I understand where theyre coming from but still. This isn't the first time this has happened. I guess this is a special case since Gearbox flat out lied about the game hardcore with trailers and what not but I hope this doesn't start a trend of suing every company because of a game you didn't like.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #993
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

If it was just a bad game there would be no big deal here dude. There are hundreds of bad games & plenty of new disappointments every year. This is only about the obvious & intentful huge lies about the game. And I hope there are court cases and mass publicity every time this level of deceit takes place. A game company are within their rights to produce a bad game with crap features and noone can sue over that.

Last edited by Iceman; 05-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #994
Nathan

Well, like you said, with Gearbox it's a special case. It's not that they simply didn't live up to expectations, they pretty much deceived the gaming community. But yeah, I also hope it doesn't mean that people start suing over every trivial thing.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #995
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Buying a crap game is one thing, outright deception is quite another. Highly doubtful an attempted lawsuit over a mere bad game would ever get off the ground. This however is a fairy well publicized matter of false advetisment.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #996
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I don't know. Its a little ridiculous to sue over a bad game. I understand where theyre coming from but still. This isn't the first time this has happened. I guess this is a special case since Gearbox flat out lied about the game hardcore with trailers and what not but I hope this doesn't start a trend of suing every company because of a game you didn't like.
They are suing because of false and misleading advertizing, not because the game was bad. And companies should be held accountable for the accuracy of their advertizing, in my opinion.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #997
jacobed
Banned User

Yeah I know that's why I said Gearbox is a special case with that bs they pulled and they deserve to get sued. I just hope this doesn't open the floodgates to everyone thinking they can sue just because a game is bad. Look at Ea they're getting sued because they release a Madden every year, that is just dumb and I can't believe its gone as far as it has.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #998
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

The problem is that lots of companies use misleading advertizing, but are never called out on it. For example:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

All advertizing idealizes the product, of course, but its interesting that companies seem to be losing the distinction between making the product look good and outright lying.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #999
jacobed
Banned User

Well those are at least similar to the advertising. This was blatantly and purposefully false

Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #1000
Piper Maru
Rides Again

Can't wait for the sequel!

Closed Thread