The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #526
Crockett
With Teeth

Default Re: Bioshock Infinite

Finished the game last night, it went above and beyond my expectations, it's a lot to digest and I'm not talking about just the ending. So many things makes sense the more you you ponder over it. There's some small details I'm bothered by like no manual save but I could look past it because what the game does right and it's a lot, it does it so well. I just love that Infinite is just like the first Bioshock is a perfect marriage between the narrative and gameplay, neither one suffers over focus of the other, and I just can't wait to return to Columbia.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #527
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

There is a Chapter Select feature that saves you game when your enter a new area so you can replay specific sections of the game through that.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #528
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Forbes has posted an artcle about someting peopl;e may have missed:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Many crazy things happen at the end of BioShock Infinite, but the final mind-warping sequence is kicked off by a surprise trip to Rapture, the underwater city from the original game.

While I was playing through BioShock Infinite, I thought it was strange that there were literally no references to Rapture or Andrew Ryan at all. Like, zero. Even if it wasnít integrated into the plot, I thought perhaps Iíd at least find a newspaper clipping lying around talking about that ďotherĒ unbelievable city, or some passing mention of a rivalry between Ryan and Comstock or something.

When you get to Rapture, Elizabeth explains it by saying itís another possible universe. Okay, I thought, weíre simply playing in a different game universe accessed via lighthouse, and didnít really think about it much past that.

What I failed to realize is what she really meant. That Rapture, and really all the events of the original BioShock are direct, alternate parallels of everything that happens in BioShock Infinite, right down to the characters themselves.

The proof that canít be overlooked? In the original BioShock, itís made expressly clear that only Andrew Ryan himself can operate the Bathyspheres in the city once theyíre on lockdown. Part of the twist of that game as that you can also operate them, and you eventually discover than you, as Jack, are Andrew Ryanís illegitimate son (or probable clone) which allows you to use them yourself.

In Infinite, youíre operating them once again.

The implication here is that DeWitt/Comstock is Jack/Andrew Ryan. Both was some version of the other, who goes on to kill their elder who has created a massive city as a tribute to their own ego. I even think that they do it the same way too. We are explicitly told that Booker enters Columbia from a parallel universe via the lighthouse, but we have to remember that Jack did the same thing. By entering through a lighthouse, that would also indicate heís coming from another universe as well, right? Perhaps his plane crashed through a tear?

What else do we have if Jack is Booker and Andrew Ryan is Comstock? Well, we have the obvious idea that Rapture is Columbia, sunk under the ocean instead of floating above it. In this universe, things get a bit wonky, but the comparisons are still clear. Plasmids are Vigors, EVE is Salts. Taking it a step further, Atlas/Fontaine is Daisy Fitzroy, the blood thirsty working class hero/eventual psychopath who challenges Ryan/Comstock and leads to Rapture/Columbiaís downfall.

Dr. Lutece is Dr. Tenenbaum, looking after the little girls with magic powers. That would make Little Sisters fractured versions of Elizabeth, looked after by a multitude of Big Daddies, all condensed into the massive Songbird in Columbia. The brown hair, the nearly identically arranged blue and white clothes. Itís now impossible for me not to see Elizabeth in the Little Sisters. Their eyes are glowing yellow, but if I bet if that light faded, youíd see a sparkling pair of blue eyes staring back at you.

It all lines up almost perfectly, but is still hidden enough where most people (myself included) might not realize the full extent of the crossover until days later. Itís too well arranged not to have been crafted on purpose. Look at Elizabeth next to that Little Sister! How is something so obvious, yet so subtle at the same time? Well, because most of us were attempting to untangle the events of Infinite alone, a monumental task in itself. There really wasnít time to make all these connections in the moment.

Many thanks to a few commenters for pointing out the Bathysphere genetic code item, which led to me attempting to unravel the rest of the parallels. I highly doubt Iím the first to do so, but if I can help blow some minds by spreading the theory, that works for me.

So, am I crazy or is this yet another purposefully planted piece of the already masterful plot?

Now for the new question. What happened in Ryan/Bookerís life to spawn the creator of Rapture over Columbia? Is there even a knowable answer to that?
There is so much depth in this ending.

More at the link.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...ed-completely/

Check this out:

And venturebeat has a wonderful detailed breakdown:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/28/un...g-explanation/
I think Elizabeth is also Eleanor Lamb. Seeing as Eleanor was the "Lamb" of Rapture. Elizabeth is like all the little sisters and Eleanor together.Which would make Songbird Subject Delta. So it would go:

Jack = Booker
Andrew Ryan = Comstock
Eleanor Lamb = Elizabeth
Subject Delta = Songbird

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #529
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
Man if you include that Booker and Elizabeth do not finish Infinite in the same Columbia that the game starts in you could really complicate that nice little chart up.
There's a fantastic write-up of the ending (with voxophone quotes!) on Neogaf that does just that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533205

Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #530
echostation
Banned User

Master Chief? Whose the girl in your avatar?

echostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #531
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Wow...the hint as to why Liz has powers is pretty solid, which was one thing I think alot of people missed.

And the thing about Booker and Comstock being the same age, but apparently the Luteces' machine has made Comstock just decay, while Booker somehow manages to stay fit and look younger than he is.

There's some good stuff to read in the NeoGaf link. Thanks, Chief.

It also has me really thinking about what could be done with DLC.

Last edited by ChrisBaleBatman; 04-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.
ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #532
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

I finally started playing it today for about an hour for the first time, I've been away from the console I'm playing it on (PS3) for almost a week. Just starting to make sense of what's what and exploring every flashy object that catches the eye.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #533
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Just beat it last night, I really hope they re-visit Rapture again. I really loved everything about this game.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #534
jacobed
Banned User

Beat 1999 mode the other day. Its freaking hard but perseverance will get ya through it

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #535
Trimmings
Side-Kick

This was great! One thing has been bugging me though. Why couldn't Elizabeth just open a portal to get you both out of there? Maybe even one to Paris that's big enough to walk through? You know, like she does the first time we see her.

Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #536
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Beat 1999 mode the other day. Its freaking hard but perseverance will get ya through it
I'm holding off on replaying the game.

I'm expecting, with the Season Pass, to maybe get some more weapon skins or something. Like the Comstock skins, just to be able to use them on another playthrough.

That, and man...I cannot imagine the frustration I'll feel during that final fight.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #537
jacobed
Banned User

She's not powerful enough

Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #538
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmings View Post
This was great! One thing has been bugging me though. Why couldn't Elizabeth just open a portal to get you both out of there? Maybe even one to Paris that's big enough to walk through? You know, like she does the first time we see her.
I'm pretty sure the Siphon had something to do with that. It pretty much capped her powers off. That, and she didn't really know how to control her powers. She nearly got her and Booker hit by a car when she did open up a tear into Paris. By the time she was strong enough to do so, she had much more important things to do than go to Paris.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #539
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
I'm pretty sure the Siphon had something to do with that. It pretty much capped her powers off. That, and she didn't really know how to control her powers. She nearly got her and Booker hit by a car when she did open up a tear into Paris. By the time she was strong enough to do so, she had much more important things to do than go to Paris.
yep, once that siphon is destroyed she shows what she can do by taking all 3 to Rapture instantly, which is one of the saddest scenes in the game, no in video game history.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #540
Trimmings
Side-Kick

Ah that makes since. Thanks
I guess I just thought that first tear you see her do was easy enough

Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #541
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I tried to but I just couldn't through it. I kept dying in the first combat portion.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #542
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
I'm holding off on replaying the game.

I'm expecting, with the Season Pass, to maybe get some more weapon skins or something. Like the Comstock skins, just to be able to use them on another playthrough.

That, and man...I cannot imagine the frustration I'll feel during that final fight.
It's definitely not easy. The trick is possession and take out the iron patriot things right away

Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #543
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

still working on my 1999 playthrough, was lucky enough to have the money neccessary to buy the possession upgrades early so i got those, and just use that and an rpg. Finally got through the handyman fight on the fink dock, but it took a good hour. Now I'm just dreading going up against siren

Trainwreck2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #544
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Master Chief? Whose the girl in your avatar?
Heather Vandeven in a Saints Row the Third commercial.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
Now I'm just dreading going up against siren
Dude. I was too. But... LOL, I found a neat trick that makes it insanely easy. Spoilers ahead!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

what I did:

Fully upgraded Devil's Kiss
Fully upgraded machine gun
3/4 upgraded handcannon
Maxed out salts

Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #545
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Yeah I found an easy way too however i used
burning halo (chance to do 400 points melee to taget
the shock shirt-does shock damage to are when hit so when i meleed her and got hit by the zombies they received shock damage
and a brittle skin adds a two times multiplier after melee
combined it with full upgraded charge which grants a tiny invincibility and she died easily

Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #546
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

So, for 1999 mode...what's the best upgrade path? Max out shields and then salts as you go along? Or pour it all into health first?

On Normal, the game was pretty easy. Up until the final half of the game. Then the difficulty spiked, and it wasn't easy anymore. No hard, though. But, it has me expecting that difficulty to spike in the second half as well in 1999 mode.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #547
jacobed
Banned User

I maxed out shields first since its basically just regenerative health and then I went back and forth on health and salts. For the final part I found throwing a few return to sender traps onto the core helped out immensely.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #548
batmanofbaylor
Non sum qualis eram

Quote:
So, for 1999 mode...what's the best upgrade path? Max out shields and then salts as you go along? Or pour it all into health first?

On Normal, the game was pretty easy. Up until the final half of the game. Then the difficulty spiked, and it wasn't easy anymore. No hard, though. But, it has me expecting that difficulty to spike in the second half as well in 1999 mode.
I'm up to Comstock House on 1999 mode and I've only died about 6-7 times. There are some parts that are definitely difficult, but I struggled more with my first playthrough (Hard) than this time through. The Handyman fights are brutal and the Siren fights aren't much fun either. But its very do-able--you just have to play a bit slower and smarter.

I maxed salts and shields (alternating) and then health. Having max salts helps a ton when ammo is scarce. I maxed Devil's Kiss ASAP and that tears through groups of baddies.

I'm pretty scared about the final battle though...

batmanofbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #549
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

I maxed out possession and focused on salt infusions. That perk really helps against the patriots. The only real hard thing was the handyman fights but you can skip the first one and the last one aboard the prophet's ship. Siren is easy and there's a couple ways online to show you how to deal with her.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #550
batmanofbaylor
Non sum qualis eram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
I maxed out possession and focused on salt infusions. That perk really helps against the patriots. The only real hard thing was the handyman fights but you can skip the first one and the last one aboard the prophet's ship. Siren is easy and there's a couple ways online to show you how to deal with her.
Skip you say?

batmanofbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote