The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #101
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: What's your worst fear regarding MOS?

I've already explained my biggest fear. But one thing I'm concerned with is the possibility of Zack having his hands tied. I wouldn't mind him being micromanaged to a certain extent, but I want the climax to be all-Snyder.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #102
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I've already explained my biggest fear. But one thing I'm concerned with is the possibility of Zack having his hands tied. I wouldn't mind him being micromanaged to a certain extent, but I want the climax to be all-Snyder.
Hands tied by whom?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #103
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

I'm afraid I'll be bored out of my mind during the scenes before Clark becomes Superman. Not the action pieces, but everything else.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #104
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

That they spend too much time on the origin. This isn't in the same position as Batman Begins was. Nolan was lucky enough for Burton to have never covered the origin so he had an easy and obvious way in to the mythos that would surely set his version apart. MoS doesn't have that luxury. We've seen Superman's origin told and told very well. I understand that they want to separate their vision of Krypton and the origin from Donner's and that's a good idea. Get people's minds away from only thinking the crystal-planet version is cannon or something rather than just Donner's cool idea for the time of how an alien world might be different.

BUT...I don't want them spending a whole hour of the film on set up before we even see him in the costume. There's not such a need to drag it out this time. He should be in tights and doing his thing a half hour into the film.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #105
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
That they spend too much time on the origin. This isn't in the same position as Batman Begins was. Nolan was lucky enough for Burton to have never covered the origin so he had an easy and obvious way in to the mythos that would surely set his version apart. MoS doesn't have that luxury. We've seen Superman's origin told and told very well. I understand that they want to separate their vision of Krypton and the origin from Donner's and that's a good idea. Get people's minds away from only thinking the crystal-planet version is cannon or something rather than just Donner's cool idea for the time of how an alien world might be different.

BUT...I don't want them spending a whole hour of the film on set up before we even see him in the costume. There's not such a need to drag it out this time. He should be in tights and doing his thing a half hour into the film.
My worst fear is that they agree with you. Seriously, as much as I love the first act of Superman: The Movie, it really is a bare bones version of Superman's childhood in Smallville with the Kents. It jumps straight from the Kents finding Clark to high school Clark and the death of Jonathan. There is a ton of interesting material and development that could be explored in the space between those events and which seem fundamental to selling the new interpretation of the character. The filmmakers need time show why Clark is in self-imposed exile in Alaska. Why he is suffering from an existential crisis - the conflict of his urge to save people and the fear that the world will reject him as a freak among other issues. A short origin will be forced to hit the same basic beats as S:TM - Kents find Clark, they instill him with folksy wisdom and he goes out to find his place in the world. They need the longer origin to help them distinguish this movie from S:TM and helppeople relate to Superman. To strip away the false assumptions of perfection and demonstrate that is a man with fears, concerns and past mistakes, so that when he is flying around the tights doing his thing, the audience is rooting for him.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #106
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

One of my biggest fears is that Zod's going to overshadow Superman like Joker did to Batman in TDK.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #107
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Nolan is completely hands off, to the point where he is pretty much producer in name only. The only restrain Snyder has on him is own crappy screenwriting acumen.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #108
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Adding onto hopefuldreamer's list...

11. Pacing/editing issues
12. Not enough character moments
13. People texting during the movie
14. Some crazy unexpected event affecting the BO
I went to see Evil Dead last night. First we had to wait in a line before we could enter the theater, pretty normal. Then there was a big cop standing at the entrance as we went in. After we got seated an usher warned the audience in a respectful way any use of cell phones will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave, all while the cop was standing next to her. I think it worked I didn't notice any phones! One of the best things about going to an R rated movie, a lot less teenagers.

Mace Bloodstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #109
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
My worst fear is that they agree with you. Seriously, as much as I love the first act of Superman: The Movie, it really is a bare bones version of Superman's childhood in Smallville with the Kents. It jumps straight from the Kents finding Clark to high school Clark and the death of Jonathan. There is a ton of interesting material and development that could be explored in the space between those events and which seem fundamental to selling the new interpretation of the character. The filmmakers need time show why Clark is in self-imposed exile in Alaska. Why he is suffering from an existential crisis - the conflict of his urge to save people and the fear that the world will reject him as a freak among other issues. A short origin will be forced to hit the same basic beats as S:TM - Kents find Clark, they instill him with folksy wisdom and he goes out to find his place in the world. They need the longer origin to help them distinguish this movie from S:TM and helppeople relate to Superman. To strip away the false assumptions of perfection and demonstrate that is a man with fears, concerns and past mistakes, so that when he is flying around the tights doing his thing, the audience is rooting for him.
I actually agree with you. I'd be a-ok with them putting the emphasis elsewhere on his origin story. However, they should be economical with their time. I don't fancy waiting an hour into the film for him to finally start doing his Superman gig. I think they should be able to hit all the beats they need to in half that time.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #110
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

That Jor-El is only a very minor role.

Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #111
Luane
Side-Kick

That visual effects take more place in the film than the plot

Luane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #112
GreenKToo
In the fire

That the score falls flat. We spot a very obvious CG superman.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #113
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
He was okay in Immortals, but he didn't have many lines and wasn't asked to do an American accent.

Cold Light of Day didn't make Cavill's performance horrible. Cavill's performance made Cold Light of Day horrible.
I do agree it was a bad performance. I think the director did a terrible job because absolutely nobody gave a good performance.

But the film was bad as a whole. I can't even imagine thinking it was a good movie if someone like Michael Fassbender was in the role, with the director telling him to play it like he was in a constant state of panic (which is what the director told Cavill to do). It's just so OTT, the plot sucked and the dialogue was awful too.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #114
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I'm afraid I'll be bored out of my mind during the scenes before Clark becomes Superman. Not the action pieces, but everything else.
Bored out of your mind unless it's action scenes?

Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #115
Andreth
Side-Kick

After seeing the pictures of Lois on the hunt for CK and holding a pic of Clark Kent not wearing glasses in Smallville, my biggest fear is that a pair of glasses prevent Lois Lane from recognizing that her working partner is in fact Superman.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #116
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

My biggest fear is that you will not be able to build a shared DC Cinematic Universe around MOS, or at least not a proper shared universe. From what we've seen, MOS looks like it will be a self-contained story much like the TDK trilogy and looks like it even has the same grounded feel of the TDK trilogy. If that is the case, it will not be able to be part of a shared universe and even if they try to apply the tone and feel of MOS to all of their other properties, the Batman reboot will face problems because it will need to have the MOS feel in order to feel canon with the rest of the cinematic universe but at the same time, doing that tone and feel again might make the reboot feel like a rehash of Nolan's movies. DC has basically shot themselves in the foot when it comes to shared universes because they can't really do one due to this or at least not a proper one. Thus it looks like the next chance we'll get at seeing not only a DC shared universe but a proper one is in a decade from now.

Is this really a big problem? No. Not everything has to be in a shared universe in order to be good. However, I would've preferred to see a shared universe anytime soon because I think it would've been better to have a JL movie featuring versions of the characters that you got the chance to see grow and develop throughout their solo films as opposed to different versions of each character. It looks like now we won't get the chance to see a JL movie done like that till the next decade.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #117
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes View Post
Bored out of your mind unless it's action scenes?
Yes. I'm not very interested in any superhero's childhood, nor is it likely I'll be impressed with Clark's wanderings and odd jobs. BB bored me nearly to death until Bruce finally put on the damn costume.

However, any time Clark saves someone, before or after he becomes Superman, I'll assuredly be entertained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Is this really a big problem? No. Not everything has to be in a shared universe in order to be good. However, I would've preferred to see a shared universe anytime soon because I think it would've been better to have a JL movie featuring versions of the characters that you got the chance to see grow and develop throughout their solo films as opposed to different versions of each character. It looks like now we won't get the chance to see a JL movie done like that till the next decade.
I wouldn't worry about that for now. MOS or Cavill's performance could be so terrible that you won't even want a DC universe to be built on them.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #118
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Yes. I'm not very interested in any superhero's childhood, nor is it likely I'll be impressed with Clark's wanderings and odd jobs. BB bored me nearly to death until Bruce finally put on the damn costume.
The variety of opinions on the Hype never ceases to amaze me.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #119
Superhero 101
DESI

Quote:
That's my biggest fear as well. I just hope that there isn't too much talking going on i hope that there is a proper balance between the talking and the action and the characterization.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #120
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Quote:
If you look at what Zack [Snyder] has done you’ll see that they’ve abandoned a lot of the pretense that was in the comics and asked “Can we still make this work?”
They’re sticking to realism as much as possible. Fantastic elements are still there but a lot of it that been trimmed back to make it feel as though this actually happened."
Uggh.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #121
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Uggh.
I assume the realism refers to the world's reaction to superpowered aliens in their midst. That would actually be really cool.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #122
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ If it's about the environment Superman is in, I'm okay with that. We don't need time travel or magic to make a good story. If it's about Superman himself, then I'm kind of sad. I'm actually alright with Superman being somewhat nerfed, just so that he's powerful enough to feel alien and superhuman, rather than just another muscular guy (ehem.. Thor'11).

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #123
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

It sounds like they believe that the audience won't accept Superman and the world he lives in, so they have to tone it down. As if we Superman fans would say, "Oh, that wouldn't happen!" I mean, its Superman, you know what to expect when you buy the ticket. Superman stories provide a great setting to sink your teeth into some cool science fiction. The very origin of Superman is totally sci-fi; genius scientist of another planet sends his son to Earth on a rocket ship.

I think turning down the sci-fi elements of a Superman story is dumb. Superman is a extraordinary character and a proper setting and tone should be on the same level as Superman. So, if they want to have "realism" as a backdrop, then it sounds like they want to water down Superman as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #124
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
That the movie sucks. No but in reality yes Cavill is a big concern. Hopefully he has charisma in the role. Not really a fear but I hope it isnt super serious. I want some lightheartedness and comedy.
all this. we've seen he can do the angst/grimacing/moody looking Superman. but he also needs to be able to give a frightened person he just saved a warm smile and be able to assure them that it's going to be okay.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #125
GreenKToo
In the fire

I'm not gonna panic yet, but it *sounds like* this superman may be way more underpowered than what we are expecting. I would have been happy to have his limit be lifting the weight of an aircraft carrier ( which was already depowering him ).
I hope they arent gonna settle for him lifting tanks or some such silly mess as his upper limit.
we dont want hulk lite or a spidey on roids. we want a superman that can lift a tank with one hand up over his head.
Of course, he could mean the public accepting him, and doing away with magical enemies, etc etc. shoot, I don't know.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote