1,250 -1,500 0 0%
+ 1,500 1 0.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #51
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

I know that they've kept Wolverine restricted to PG-13 to maximize profit, but I glanced over Django Unchained's Box office and it made 416 million, which is more than Wolverine Origins' 373 million. Which proves hard R rated, bloody violent movies can make decent buck if you market it right. Though I suppose Quentin Tarantino was a big piece of the aforementioned "marketing it right" part.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #52
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
I see only 7 films coming out next year making more money. Hunger games, Hobbit, Pixar movie, Spiderman, Transformers 4, How to train your dragon 2,and maybe a sci-fi movie
There's really no basis for this. No X-Men film has grossed more than $460m and the last one didn't even outgross Cap. I'd say both Cap 2 and GotG have a good chance of outgrossing this.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

First Class did better overseas than cap.It was only domesticly that Cap did better.

Some need to accept not all marvel films make avengers or even Iron Man money.

Cap has 4 weeks before the Amazing Spider-Man 2 hits.

X-Men Is well known and has cast members of original trilogy In it.Noone knows much about GotG.Thinking It will immedetly doing better than DOFP.

The compession with Days of future past should not be first class but The Last Stand.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #54
Angamb
Banned User

I see some fans are treating this movie as a normal x-men sequel, and the fact is in fact It Isnt.

Its an event movie, combining actors from both series, including the return of original actors after all these years. That will have an impact, even if some fans dont think so. Not to mention the long awaited Sentinels and 3D.

So this two casts thing will easily get many people's attention, and its one of the stronger marketing points of this movie.

And if the action on the trailers and spots, including Sentinels sequences, look really huge and expensive, Im sure many big robots fans and general lovers will really want to see this movie too.

So all these factors together will lead to a surprise to many fans and haters alike.

The jump between Batman begins and the sequel, and Cap/Thor/Hulk movies and Avengers was huge, so something similar will happen this time. Not saying this sequel will get 1 billion, none of us know that yet, but there will be a big jump.

Again, this isnt just another x-men movie, its something much bigger than that.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #55
Mr. Dent
Banned User

You act like that doesn't count for anything. Cap outgrossed First Class, period.

Furthermore, with the exposure from Avengers, Cap is guaranteed to get a boost overseas anyway. 4 weeks is a long time in movie grossing terms, so TASM2 is not a problem.

You're right, X-Men is a well known property and still has yet to make more than $460m...and the two movies they've released in the past 4 years have only grazed $360m. Not only is Guardians an unknown quantity, and therefore doesn't have all the historic bagage X-Men does, it has the Avengers/MCU branding and Disney marketing behind it...think of it as Pixar releasing a new film. On top of that, there are no big releases other than itself in its month and studios are moving their film release dates to avoid going up against it. I'd say there's an extremely good chance it outgrosses DOFP.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #56
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
First Class did better overseas than cap.It was only domesticly that Cap did better.

Some need to accept not all marvel films make avengers or even Iron Man money.

Cap has 4 weeks before the Amazing Spider-Man 2 hits.

X-Men Is well known and has cast members of original trilogy In it.Noone knows much about GotG.Thinking It will immedetly doing better than DOFP.

The compession with Days of future past should not be first class but The Last Stand.
DOFP clearly has some advantages over GOTG - a proven brand, a director with a superior track record and a better known cast. And since FOX really needs this film to hit big in order to keep the X-Men series viable going forward, they studio is likely to put a great deal of money into marketing the film.

But XMFC had many of those same advantages in the summer of 2011, and the film came in behind unknown quantities Thor and Cap in worldwide box office revenues. Both films should be competitive at the box office and battle for the third and fourth spots among Marvel superhero films behind TASM2 and CA:TWS - which is the closest to Avengers 1.5 of the MCU sequels.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #57
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Didn't the first Captain America actually do better overseas than it did domestically?

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #58
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
You act like that doesn't count for anything. Cap outgrossed First Class, period.
By only $15 million dollars?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #59
Double B
Side-Kick

I don't think FC had anywhere near the push I expect DOFP to get. It had a whole new cast. Fassbender, and certainly, Lawrence, hadn't really become wider known stars yet. The trailers looked rubbish, quite frankly. A series of poorly photoshopped posters and images used to promote the film and rumours of a messy production. It was hardly an event release. Not to mention it was a film following two crappy movies - TLS and XO:W and had to re-establish the franchise.

I'm not defending FC here. It was out-performed by other genre movies, but I, along with Fox I would imagine, expect much bigger things from DOFP.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #60
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I can't help but think of the amount of people buying tickets to a movie to make that number and I still wonder "can we really say only 15 million dollars?" Still seems like a substantial sum.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #61
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I see some fans are treating this movie as a normal x-men sequel, and the fact is in fact It Isnt.

Its an event movie, combining actors from both series, including the return of original actors after all these years. That will have an impact, even if some fans dont think so. Not to mention the long awaited Sentinels and 3D.

So this two casts thing will easily get many people's attention, and its one of the stronger marketing points of this movie.

And if the action on the trailers and spots, including Sentinels sequences, look really huge and expensive, Im sure many big robots fans and general lovers will really want to see this movie too.

So all these factors together will lead to a surprise to many fans and haters alike.

The jump between Batman begins and the sequel, and Cap/Thor/Hulk movies and Avengers was huge, so something similar will happen this time. Not saying this sequel will get 1 billion, none of us know that yet, but there will be a big jump.

There's no doubt the FOX wants this to be their Avengers, and reverse the decline in the box office returns of X-Men films since XM:TLS. But I'm not sure the general audience is eagerly looking forward to the return of the original cast after eight years. And I am positive that only fans of the comics are looking forward to seeing Sentinels onscreen.

Let's see what happens with The Wolverine. If Jackman's 2nd solo outing can reverse the downward trend and injest some life back into the on- screen X-Men, DOFP may have the highest box office returns of the series. But there is no reason to suspect that the film will do much better than that.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #62
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
^ The combined star power of Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellan, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Pete Dinklage and Jennifer Lawrence should more than solidify this film's chances of being in the top 10 for 2014.
Really Dinklage is in it too? who's he playing Puck from Alpha Flight?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #63
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

That was announced a while ago. No, he's not playing Puck. His part is yet to be revealed, but he is rumoured to be the villain.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #64
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

This and Avengers are in two completely different situations. The hype behind Avengers was built around the fact that these individual movies, which were all released within 3 years of each other, were all consciously working towards this one film, which was perpetually talked and speculated about for 4 years straight. On top of that, Iron Man, and to a lesser extent Thor, were both very well received and ended up grossing much more than anyone was expecting, and they incited an excitement in people that X-Men films haven't produced since X-2.

DOFP is in a completely opposite situation from what I described above. It's not anymore an event movie than First Class was right now. Maybe as we get closer to the release we'll see more evidence to support this "event" status you've slapped onto it, but right now it does not hold up.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #65
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
This and Avengers are in two completely different situations. The hype behind Avengers was built around the fact that these individual movies, which were all released within 3 years of each other, were all consciously working towards this one film, which was perpetually talked and speculated about for 4 years straight. On top of that, Iron Man, and to a lesser extent Thor, were both very well received and ended up grossing much more than anyone was expecting, and they incited an excitement in people that X-Men films haven't produced since X-2.

DOFP is in a completely opposite situation from what I described above. It's not anymore an event movie than First Class was right now. Maybe as we get closer to the release we'll see more evidence to support this "event" status you've slapped onto it, but right now it does not hold up.
I get your point with the difference with Avengers build up. but that bold quote is totally wrong.

To say DOFP is not an event movie compared to FC, seriously? lol

The hype around this sequel is much bigger than FC. you may not be as excited, maybe, but go to twitter and you'll see many users getting excited with this "impressive" cast.

And not only fans, movie sites and the press is hyped with this sequel already. James, Michael, Nich and Jennifer are more known now than before FC, and by now most fans and haters have seen FC, so they are familiar with those four actors. On other hand, many fans and no hard x-men fans are excited to see Hugh, Anna, Ian, Patrick, Halle, Ellen and co back. And then Peter K., from the successfull Game of thrones, well known worldwide, and I guess France is very well aware of Omar being in this sequel too, so the hype is increasing day after day. None can deny that

And once Singer and part of the cast appears on Comic Con and they show the very first footage and images, the hype will increase pretty nicely.

This is and will be an Event movie, in the fans eyes and the public eyes. Fox will make sure to promote the hell out of this movie time, to make sure the whole world knows this will be something special.

The marketing this time will be much heavier and better than FC and The Wolverine included. Starting with Comic Con.

Last edited by Angamb; 04-08-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #66
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I don't know what your idea of an event film is, but to me this doesn't quality as one yet. Using the phrasing "this is more of an event film than..." doesn't make sense, because you're essentially using the term "event" to substitue for "bigger" or "more important". Is this film "bigger" than FC was ever meant to be? Yes, absolutely. Does that make it an "event"? No, it doesn't.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #67
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I wouldn't sleep on GOTG. DOFP has the established X-Men brand, but Guardians has some advantages over the FOX mash up:

1) A new concept versus the the 7th film in a series.
2) Lots of tie-in merchandise for GOTG, nothing for DOFP.
3) A more "kid friendly" tone than the presumably darker X film.
4) A talking anthropomorphic Raccoon.
5) Promotional Post credit scene in either IM2, CA:TWS or T:TDW.
6) The first look at Avengers 2 in the GOTG post credit scene.
7) A marketing juggernaut that would love to kill off FOX's X franchise.

If Disney is confident in Gunn's work, I wouldn't be surprised if they flip the release dates for this and Maleficent to beat DOFP into movie theaters. The general audience probably won't see two super-hero team films within such a short window, so one of the two will likely fail to meet studio expectations.
If Captain America couldn't even outgross Origins: Wolverine, I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy could even outgross Days of Future Past. Guardians of the Galaxy is like a D-List comic book property and it doesn't even have a Robert Downey Jr playing the lead character of the movie. It might not flop because its part of MCU but I don't see it as a big success that it would gross higher than Days of Future Past. And besides the Iron Man films/The Avengers, none of MCU's films crossed the $500 million mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
And Captain America was released in 3D. So much for beating X-Men: First Class' worldwide gross.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-08-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #68
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's really no basis for this. No X-Men film has grossed more than $460m and the last one didn't even outgross Cap. I'd say both Cap 2 and GotG have a good chance of outgrossing this.
I respect your cautiousness in not just assuming DOFP to be a sure-fire hit (I, on the other hand, have a hard time restraining my optimism), but I think you're stretching your optimism for Cap 2 and GotG quite a bit.

Yes, Cap 1 outgrossed First Class. But you're comparing Cap to the lowest buzzed X-Men movie in franchise history that had no recognizable anchor for it's marketing. Audiences probably saw it as an X-Men spinoff and kind of ignored it.

A movie that Cap did not outgross was... X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It was a $h*tty movie with only brand and actor recognition. Wolverine will now be front and center in the marketing for DOFP along with a whole bunch of other recognizable comic book names and actors in a full-fledged X-Men movie. DOFP is going to have a lot more going for it than First Class had. My gut says that it will outgross X3 domestically. And seeing as how First Class made more in the foreign market than it did in the domestic, then it's foreign gross will also outgross X3 by plenty.

Cap 2 will probably show some growth, but there is a definite ceiling to where its grosses can go. It's just not the type of franchise that's ever going to blow up like Iron Man, Batman, or Spider-man. The Captain America character just doesn't have the cool factor of Iron Man (and the insanely popular RDJ) or the pop culture importance of Batman or Spider-man.

GotG is a complete unknown. If the movie is really well done and super fun, I can see it being VERY successful on its own merits and with the Marvel name. I really just can't tell yet. It could also be a total bomb. But just as you say you wouldn't label DOFP an event movie, I wouldn't place any bets on GotG just yet either.

Last edited by josh8; 04-08-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #69
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Captain America= 368,608,363
First Class= 353,624,124

Captain America outgrossing First Class is not something that should be proud of. Just look at how close their worldwide box-office numbers are. Captain America was released in 3D worldwide, was part of MCU and had a sneak peak for The Avengers. While First Class was a prequel that didn't feature any of the original cast, wasn't marketed very well and it wasn't released in 3D. Plus Captain America had more promotional tie-ins and First Class only had those lego toys. Maybe if Captain America outgrossed all of the X-Men films, then people here can brag about it but no.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #70
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
...Yes, Cap 1 outgrossed First Class. But you're comparing Cap to the lowest buzzed X-Men movie that had no recognizable anchor for it's marketing. Audiences probably saw it as an X-Men spinoff and kind of ignored it...
Exactly what's on my head, moreover, this new movie will have academy award winner/america's sweetheart Jennifer Lawrence right off her second massive box office triumph Catching Fire, everyone else, no matter how top billed they are, will be co-starring. I expect loads and loads of Mystique posters before the movie premieres, and I'll wait to make my prediction after I see "The Wolverine".

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #71
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Jennifer Lawrence wasn't even a massive star when First Class was released. Of course the media was aware of her 1st Oscar nomination but at that time she haven't won yet and the first Hunger Games movie wasn't released yet. But now that she earned an Oscars, she's the face of the Hunger Games movie series, her star power will definitely help the box-office performance of DOFP.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #72
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't think you can really compare Battleship to X-Men simply because X-Men is already an established film series. But DOFP has to be as good as X2/first Class to earn strong legs at the box-office.

Then with The Wolverine, it doesn't really have a big competition, its the only major film that is opening in its first weekend. The other major releases in July 2013 are Despicable Me, Lone Ranger, Growns Up, Pacific Rim, Red 2, and RIPD. I don't see any of those films being so successful that it would steal Wolverine's thunder at the box-office. Then with the August 2013 releases, I don't think any of them would hurt the box-office performance of The Wolverine.

Then next year, I don't think Malificent, Hercules, Guardians of the Galaxy and Jupiter Ascending will be a box-office threat to DOFP.
Those are all good points. However they can be easily foiled by one simple logic: many audiences are tired of Wolverine/Hugh Jackman. He's become the Beyonce of the X-Men and he's at the point of overexposure.

XOW was a warning in my opinion. Yeah, fans here blame the dissapointing box office on TLS and the leaked footage, yadda, yadda, yadda, but if the film was great and audiences still loved him the same, the repeat viewings would've showed the proof in the pudding.

This next Wolverine film will tell the tale. However, if it doesn't perform as well as expected, I wouldn't take that as an indication of what's to come for DoFP. Even FOX knows that Wolverine by himself is simply not enough. That's why the first film was stuffed wit Deadpool, Gambit and every other possible mutant cameo and this one is featuring Jean Grey.

Successful solo characters like Iron Man and Captain America have never had to lean so heavily on other factors like Wolverine.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #73
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Those are all good points. However they can be easily foiled by one simple logic: many audiences are tired of Wolverine/Hugh Jackman. He's become the Beyonce of the X-Men and he's at the point of overexposure.

XOW was a warning in my opinion. Yeah, fans here blame the dissapointing box office on TLS and the leaked footage, yadda, yadda, yadda, but if the film was great and audiences still loved him the same, the repeat viewings would've showed the proof in the pudding.

This next Wolverine film will tell the tale. However, if it doesn't perform as well as expected, I wouldn't take that as an indication of what's to come for DoFP. Even FOX knows that Wolverine by himself is simply not enough. That's why the first film was stuffed wit Deadpool, Gambit and every other possible mutant cameo and this one is featuring Jean Grey.

Successful solo characters like Iron Man and Captain America have never had to lean so heavily on other factors like Wolverine.
Good points as well, but I think the bolded part was by far the movie's biggest problem. Solo Wolverine probably can sell tickets, but the studio had no faith. And now they're doing more of a solo Wolverine movie, but it may be too late.

What concerns me now is that the trailer to The Wolverine didn't look that good IMO. Instead of an introspective tale of honor and battling your demons, it looks like a typical Japanese gangster story with Wolverine included.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #74
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
I agree, overexposure of the character will really not help the movie, also I've always enjoyed Wolverine, but as part of the X-Men, I never really enjoyed watching him alone, he's a character that needs catalysts and needs other characters to keep him grounded, and he needs a team of boy scouts that make him look like a likable outsider anti-hero, Wolverine alone has never really clicked with me, be it in comics, tv shows or movies.

Oh, and also...

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #75
josh8
Side-Kick

Ackkkk! My eyes!

Haha, as overexposed as Beyonce is (and with that exposure comes lots of haters... like me haha), she has actually never been more succesful.

Closed Thread