The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

View Poll Results: The better Manga/ Anime
One Piece 15 55.56%
Naruto 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #26
ripse
Spider-Man_Blue
 
ripse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: E_J
Posts: 453
Post Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Naruto Manga i know last episode 559, & One Piece Manga last episode 648 so the winner ONE PIECE...no doubt

ripse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
Sloth7d
Escapist
 
Sloth7d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In possibilities.
Posts: 9,684
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

I just can't take One Piece seriously; the art, the character interactions, none of it. It's like if Dr. Seuss wrote a semi-serious manga. Which was...... okay for a while. Though I had to drop it during The Alabasta arc. Giving it another chance later, I made it to the arc on that Nightmare Island and dropped it again. That arc was really a chore to finish. Hated it every step of the way. That said, I speed read it later, and made it to the Impel Down Arc, which I doubt I'll ever finish. I just can't take that prison level design seriously.

I love Naruto. Everything from the character designs to the lore; everything. In fact, it's the only manga besides Detective Conan I'm currently still reading. Well, I read Bleach too, but even though I do, I stopped caring what happens in Bleach a long time ago. It's weird because I mostly read it just to see what Kubo Tite will do next rather than read it for any immersive reason of wanting to know what happens next.

Other than that, most manga and anime I like have ended (like Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Monster, etc.), been put on hiatus (Liar Game), or I dropped because it got ridiculous (Gantz).

__________________
You're talking to Sloth7d when you could be outside doing something else!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
In one second you will think hippies are awesome, and I will agree.
Sloth7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #28
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,201
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

I voted in this thread apparently, but never gave an opinion...thought I did. Oh well.


One Piece is better, IMO.

One Piece has the better story, better structured story arcs, keeps it's focus better, deals with it's characters better, has a much better sense of fun and adventure, and it's theme of Nakanama far outshines any sense of bond inbetween anyone in the Naruto-verse.

Naruto on the other hand constantly introduces characters, and then pushes them in the background or kills them off quick. Has story arcs that drag on FOREVER, and pointlessly at that. Has a wealth of good characters, but never shows them, nor shows in any convincing way that any of them give a crap about eachother. Plus...where's the fun anymore? The entire thing has become one big pity party where everyones a loner seeking recognition, is a sole survivor seeking to avenge, or is plotting world domination. The sense of telling a story just for the fun of it has been lost in Naruto, and everything has become too serious for too long. Atleast One Piece can toss in a little humor now and then, or go on an adventure just because Luffy thinks it looks fun and interesting.


I dunno. I'll just put it this way, I look forward to reading One Piece every week (along with Fairy Tail). I have tried and quit Naruto serveral times since, and am waiting until the war arc is about done so I can just skim through it quick (same with Bleach and it's current arc). All of which I rate higher than HunterXHunter which I liked and then just went down the toilet badly, not even counting it's year hiatus's inbetween arcs. I think beyond One Piece and Fairy Tail, Detective Conan is the only other manga atm I care to read out of my usual bunch (tho I've thought about picking up Hajime no Ippo since the anime left me wanting more).


Edit - Not trying to make this lengthier, but wanted to say that I'm not saying One Piece is perfect either. Not entirely fond of Robin and Nami being turned from good characters into semi-ditzy supermodels that just say one liners and *stare*. (So far that is).

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Last edited by Fading; 12-16-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #29
trashmold
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

both are good but i prefer naruto!

trashmold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #30
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,906
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Most of the people i know prefer One Piece, the originality shoun by the writer of One Piece reminds me of Jack Kirby

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,906
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

After finishing watching/ reading One Piece i decided to bump this thread, One piece takes the prize by far, it just keeps getting better and better, the plot and character have a lot of layers, with a very original lore, the world building is fantastic and the battles and epic in scale.

Had a longer edit here but the page didn't save so i won't state all the things i did previously, If you analyse One Piece like many did with Avatar, Star Wars and even Twilight you'll find much richer themes, besides Davy back fight i don't think there's any arc that doesn't cover an important and interesting theme, needless to say only Part I of Naruto came close to One Piece's greatness, the instant Naruto defeated kakuzo alone it was obvious the plot was getting worse, then the child of destiny just took out any hopes i had of the series being amazing.

This picture resumes very well how both are:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth7d View Post
I just can't take One Piece seriously; the art, the character interactions, none of it. It's like if Dr. Seuss wrote a semi-serious manga. Which was...... okay for a while. Though I had to drop it during The Alabasta arc. Giving it another chance later, I made it to the arc on that Nightmare Island and dropped it again. That arc was really a chore to finish. Hated it every step of the way. That said, I speed read it later, and made it to the Impel Down Arc, which I doubt I'll ever finish. I just can't take that prison level design seriously.

I love Naruto. Everything from the character designs to the lore; everything. In fact, it's the only manga besides Detective Conan I'm currently still reading. Well, I read Bleach too, but even though I do, I stopped caring what happens in Bleach a long time ago. It's weird because I mostly read it just to see what Kubo Tite will do next rather than read it for any immersive reason of wanting to know what happens next.

Other than that, most manga and anime I like have ended (like Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Monster, etc.), been put on hiatus (Liar Game), or I dropped because it got ridiculous (Gantz).
Impel Down is based on dante's depiction of hell, One Piece has by far beter character interactions than Naruto, not taking it seriously for the art and manga type of interactions is like not taking seriously Grant Morrison for being having too many silver age elements.

Even in Naruto's oun forum fans know OP is better:

http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=908442

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?

Last edited by Lord; 03-22-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #32
vindrow
Cipher Pol 9
 
vindrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seabody Archipelago
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
After finishing watching/ reading One Piece i decided to bump this thread, One piece takes the prize by far, it just keeps getting better and better, the plot and character have a lot of layers, with a very original lore, the world building is fantastic and the battles and epic in scale.

Had a longer edit here but the page didn't save so i won't state all the things i did previously, If you analyse One Piece like many did with Avatar, Star Wars and even Twilight you'll find much richer themes, besides Davy back fight i don't think there's any arc that doesn't cover an important and interesting theme, needless to say only Part I of Naruto came close to One Piece's greatness, the instant Naruto defeated kakuzo alone it was obvious the plot was getting worse, then the child of destiny just took out any hopes i had of the series being amazing.

This picture resumes very well how both are:




Impel Down is based on dante's depiction of hell, One Piece has by far beter character interactions than Naruto, not taking it seriously for the art and manga type of interactions is like not taking seriously Grant Morrison for being having too many silver age elements.

Even in Naruto's oun forum fans know OP is better:

http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=908442

The charts you show are one of the main reasons why I watch and love One Piece.

__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers: 6 Time Superbowl Champs
Fan since 1972


I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations...and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee
vindrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
Mr. VBZ
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In your heart.
Posts: 79
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

One Piece by far. Eiichiro Oda still seems to have the passion for his work...While Naruto has derailed into wankery for Sasuke.

Mr. VBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #34
DarkMelody
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: A galaxy far, far away
Posts: 38
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Berserk wins.
We have a winner!


Anyway, Oda and One Piece win but they're also super overrated. They're nothing more than the winners for the prize of "best manga for 12 year olds", not really that great. Being better than Naruto and Bleach isn't a huge achievement.

DarkMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #35
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,906
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

They're not really for 12 years old, in fact both have shown traces of briliance, wanna be elitist go read seinen. Even most blockbusters aren't half as imaginative as most popular shonens.

Congratulations, you've read Berserk, you think that's the peak of manga quality? That's as foolish as saying the two in this match are the best. Want true manga masterpieces and other good manga that are not named Berserk? Look for Vagabond, Monster, Gon, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Vinland Saga, Hunter X Hunter (a shonen by the way), Nausicaa or lone wolf & cub.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #36
DarkMelody
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: A galaxy far, far away
Posts: 38
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
They're not really for 12 years old, in fact both have shown traces of briliance, wanna be elitist go read seinen. Even most blockbusters aren't half as imaginative as most popular shonens.

Congratulations, you've read Berserk, you think that's the peak of manga quality? That's as foolish as saying the two in this match are the best. Want true manga masterpieces and other good manga that are not named Berserk? Look for Vagabond, Monster, Gon, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Vinland Saga, Hunter X Hunter (a shonen by the way), Nausicaa or lone wolf & cub.
I've actually read every single one of your series (pretty generic obvious "manga 101" recommendations there, by the way), that was a hilariously cute assumption on your part. I never said I considered Berserk the peak of manga quality, I was just joking around (it's certainly better than Naruto and One Piece, obviously). I'm not sure I'd term "reading series written for actual adults" as elitism. Am I an ageist or something? Would you call me elitist for not bothering to read Harry Potter? I'm sorry, I guess. I don't see it as elitism. One Piece is nice, but like I said being better than Naruto and Bleach isn't really anything to call home about.
I'll stick to Naoki Urasawa, Inio Asano, Kengo Hanazawa, etc. you stick to the comical rubber pirate man and his profound themes. I prefer seeking out as much full brilliance to just traces of "briliance". Why ever settle? There are a lot of manga out there, maybe I could recommend you some.


Last edited by DarkMelody; 05-17-2013 at 04:43 PM.
DarkMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,201
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

I never understood the shounen hate/elitism in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, it is what it is, you either like it, or you don't. If you enjoy it, more power to ya, keep watching/reading it, and have fun. If you don't, move on and pick another series, there are plenty.

Some shounen can be light on story, be a bit goofy and over exaggerated, or have glaring plotholes, but so can other categories of anime as well. Shounen at the very least tends to be entertaining, and can be deep, and moving from time to time. Some of the animes aimed solely towards older audiences tend to either be gore fests, fan service, take themselves too seriously, and very pretentious. However they can end up being entertaining, deep, ect, as well. If you end up throwing a blanket statement over an entire genre you end up looking idiotic in the long run.



As for OP being overrated, it depends on who you ask. IMO it's the top current going shounen, and the manga I look forward to reading most each week. It's just a fun read. Yet a LOT of people seem reluctant to even give it a go because the art turned them off, they read 5 chapters and decided it was trash, or they've convinced themselves everything is inferior to Naruto, DBZ, FMA, or Bleach. On the other hand, every anime/manga has it's hardcore fans that insist it's the best thing ever, and OP is no exception. As much as I like OP, I've felt embarrassed just reading what others say when trying to push others to read/watch it.

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
DarkMelody
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: A galaxy far, far away
Posts: 38
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
Some shounen can be light on story, be a bit goofy and over exaggerated, or have glaring plotholes, but so can other categories of anime as well. Shounen at the very least tends to be entertaining, and can be deep, and moving from time to time. Some of the animes aimed solely towards older audiences tend to either be gore fests, fan service, take themselves too seriously, and very pretentious. However they can end up being entertaining, deep, ect, as well. If you end up throwing a blanket statement over an entire genre you end up looking idiotic in the long run.
I think all this is saying is that you're not very good at finding decent Seinen. I can recommend you plenty of Seinen that you would not find gore fests or full of fan service, I don't think you could do the same for me in terms of Shounen (especially since I've probably read and seen whatever Shounen you'd recommend anyway). Besides, things like "pretentious" and "taking themselves too seriously" are such arbitrary things. I suppose if I showed you Oyasumi Punpun you'd call it "pretentious". You might use the P word for any series that attempted any sort of introspective intellectualism or philosophical themes that weren't also interspersed with a magical dude beating up another magical dude.
If you're telling me the peaks of Seinen and Shounen have the exact same potential for being deep then I've gotta go laugh my ass off somewhere. So you're telling me you consider 20th Century Boys and One Piece to be the same level?
I'm sorry if this comes off as elitism, but you're reading series marketed towards children, how could I not come off as elitist when I'm recommending more grown up series? It's like comparing Lolita's Nabokov to the Hunger Games series, elitist vibes are unavoidable.

DarkMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #39
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,201
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMelody View Post
I've actually read every single one of your series (pretty generic obvious recommendations there, by the way), that was a cute assumption on your part. I'm not sure I'd term "reading series written for actual adults" as elitism. Am I an ageist or something? One Piece is nice, but like I said being better than Naruto and Bleach isn't really anything to call home about.
I'll stick to Naoki Urasawa, you stick to the comical rubber pirate man. I prefer full brilliance to traces of "briliance".
You say, "comical rubber pirate man" like it's a bad thing . Nothing wrong with a main character making you laugh, and not being a "cool", handsome, cookie cutter character. I've seen enough MC's that could just as easily be plucked out of one series and be put in another. You're completely entitled to your opinion, but dont' be surprised if everyone doesn't agree. Let alone agree with you on what brilliance is defined as in a work of fiction.

Brilliance can be a touching scene, with a moving piece of music, and beautiful art, coming together perfectly in one scene. Or it can be the hero standing up as music that makes your blood boil fires up, after an intriguing, and complex set of events come together, as that hero experiences genuine character growth.

I've seen anime "for 12 year olds" that have had moving deaths, touching scenes, and good storylines. Not all shounen is inferior simply because of the category it's in. Just as OP isn't inferior because it's hero is a, "comical rubber pirate". That rubber pirate shows more character, and charisma than most of the other characters I've seen in other series.

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #40
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,201
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMelody View Post
I think all this is saying is that you're not very good at finding decent Seinen. I can recommend you plenty of Seinen that you would not find gore fests or full of fan service, I don't think you could do the same for me in terms of Shounen (especially since I've probably read and seen whatever Shounen you'd recommend anyway). Besides, things like "pretentious" and "taking themselves too seriously" are such arbitrary things. I suppose if I showed you Oyasumi Punpun you'd call it "pretentious". You might use the P word for any series that attempted any sort of introspective intellectualism or philosophical themes that weren't also interspersed with a magical dude beating up another magical dude.
If you're telling me the peaks of Seinen and Shounen have the exact same potential for being deep then I've gotta go laugh my ass off somewhere. So you're telling me you consider 20th Century Boys and One Piece to be the same level?
I'm sorry if this comes off as elitism, but you're reading series marketed towards children, how could I not come off as elitist when I'm recommending more grown up series? It's like comparing Lolita's Nabokov to the Hunger Games series, elitist vibes are unavoidable.
Just as you told him that you had read all the series he mentioned, and then went on to imply that you're manga knowledge is far beyond that, don't assume you know other posters entire manga reading/anime watching history based on one or two posts. It really makes it look like you're going out of your way to pick a fight and belittle them by jumping to conclusions like that, while at the same time making you seem a bit immature. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just giving a tip. Plenty of people on these boards read a wide variety of manga. Shounen is far from the only category I dip in to, and the same can be said for probably most of the other members of this board. Just because some of us enjoy it doesn't mean we solely shop around for, "manga aimed at little kids". It also makes me doubt your ability to judge a series when you seem unable to admit that shounen can have deep moments (or like with what you implied with me, maybe it's that you haven't watched enough, or the right shounens). It almost seems like a grudge, as if admitting shounen isn't just mindless battles and yelling, would be like admitting defeat or something.

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Last edited by Fading; 05-17-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #41
DarkMelody
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: A galaxy far, far away
Posts: 38
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

The difference is he listed a bunch of series, I haven't recommended any to you. Assuming knowledge can be a problem, but so can assuming that your knowledge is complete enough to be bulletproof to recommendations. Mine was not an assumption, he listed series and I'd already dealt with them all.

I never said One Piece was a bad series, I simply said that it was only king of Shounen and that inherently Shounen cannot reach the same peaks that Seinen can...inherently by design, given that it is literally for young boys. I enjoy Shounen as well sometimes, if you enjoy Shounen that's fine, but it will never be more than just cute side entertainment to me. Series can only transcend their markets and demographics they're targeting to a certain degree.
Given that it would be terribly rude to make assumptions on the limitations of your great breadth of anime/manga knowledge, I will assume you have read 20th Century Boys. Do you consider One Piece an equal to 20th Century Boys?

Seriously though, I have to say the lamest non-argument argument in the history of man has to be the "UR AN ELITIST". I've never heard the term "elitist" used in any instance which wasn't a poor fool getting conned into using it (i.e. "IGNORE THE ELITIST LIBERAL INTELLECTUALS!!!!").


Last edited by DarkMelody; 05-17-2013 at 05:02 PM.
DarkMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #42
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,201
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Meh, I'll just stop there. I'm helping take things off topic. Welcome to the boards BTW, and no hard feelings. It's just easy to get sucked into certain conversations, lol.

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #43
DarkMelody
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: A galaxy far, far away
Posts: 38
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

I never meant to get into a giant war about Shounen anyway, it was just that guy jumping on and overinflating my innocent humorous comments and self-reflecting his own insecurities and assumptions (like assuming I'm this or that type of viewer that bothered him in the past or that I seriously thought Berserk was top of manga quality or that he could blow my mind by recommending things like Monster and Vagabond, I mean my grandma has probably heard of those ).

I don't feel good about criticizing Shounen anyway, it makes me seem like a big bully. It's how I feel when I see people mocking Twilight, I feel like it brings them down, it's like when you were in elementary school and kids would try to seem more grownup and cool by making fun of Barney and Sesame Street.

DarkMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #44
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,201
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Actually I didn't mean to start in on it either, just kinda did, lol. Either way, no biggie.


I think part of it, with me, was I was becoming semi annoyed (thanks to other sites) of clumping animes in together because of age groups. I've been on an anime kick this last month (mainly for a few specific genres), and have been looking around for recommendations (off of google of all things, since I don't belong to any strictly anime boards to ask, and don't want to join one to ask a generic, overasked question). Aside from the frequent age group bashing, I was noticing the same animes getting nominated over and over for every question. "What's a good action comedy harem anime", "What's a good drama anime", "What's a good cerebral anime", ect, all of which had Naruto and Elfen Lied in their answers.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Elfen Lied...but how is it a comedy harem? Lol. I think I was just frustrated from having to sift through so many pages of the same three animes being named over and over, to find something new, or that I was aware of but hadn't really looked into yet.

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Last edited by Fading; 05-17-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #45
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,906
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMelody View Post
I never meant to get into a giant war about Shounen anyway, it was just that guy jumping on and overinflating my innocent humorous comments and self-reflecting his own insecurities and assumptions (like assuming I'm this or that type of viewer that bothered him in the past or that I seriously thought Berserk was top of manga quality or that he could blow my mind by recommending things like Monster and Vagabond, I mean my grandma has probably heard of those ).

I don't feel good about criticizing Shounen anyway, it makes me seem like a big bully. It's how I feel when I see people mocking Twilight, I feel like it brings them down, it's like when you were in elementary school and kids would try to seem more grownup and cool by making fun of Barney and Sesame Street.
I criticised your statement of Shonen being for "12 year old boys", One Piece's for example explores an interesting theme every arc without making the whole story around that, and try to force those ideas in the viewers like many seinens and even "smart" films of novels try to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMelody View Post
I've actually read every single one of your series (pretty generic obvious "manga 101" recommendations there, by the way), that was a hilariously cute assumption on your part. I never said I considered Berserk the peak of manga quality, I was just joking around (it's certainly better than Naruto and One Piece, obviously). I'm not sure I'd term "reading series written for actual adults" as elitism. Am I an ageist or something? Would you call me elitist for not bothering to read Harry Potter? I'm sorry, I guess. I don't see it as elitism. One Piece is nice, but like I said being better than Naruto and Bleach isn't really anything to call home about.
I'll stick to Naoki Urasawa, Inio Asano, Kengo Hanazawa, etc. you stick to the comical rubber pirate man and his profound themes. I prefer seeking out as much full brilliance to just traces of "briliance". Why ever settle? There are a lot of manga out there, maybe I could recommend you some.
Nice to know, i recomended them to you and the poster that comented that Berserk wins, and i don't see how my assumption didn't make sence, this was a Naruto vs One Piece thread, discussion about those two mangas and nothing more, yet here comes 2 posters saying Berserk wins by default, are the 3 series shonens? nope, Berserk is a seinen, so the only reason for that to be posted would be because it was a comparison of what's the best manga.

Otherwise it doesn't make much sence, why choose Berserk? It doesn't have much in comon with the other two.

By the way, an exageration of smileys normally means you're feeling anxious about a certain subject and try to get on a disagreeing poster's nerve. If it's not intentional then it doesn't seem like that.

And let me tell yu something more, writing well is a gift, however writing well and making an original and unforgetable world is even more difficult, it's something Oda manages to do, it's something Kishimoto for Part 1 of Naruto was able to do, something Rowling, Togashi, Lewis Carrol and Tolkien manage to do too.

It's also what i like about shonens, the intricate world building and mechanics, interesting villains, complex abilities, and etc.

Oda's biggest problem is not killing most characters unless plot needs to or it was in a flashback, Pell is the best example, he had the perfect death of a hero and now is doing nothing for the plot.

The writers that have probably used the medium to its full potencial are probably Fullmetal Alchemist's writer and Togashi (Hunter X Hunter), but that's because they're the ones that present less flaws.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #46
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,906
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
Actually I didn't mean to start in on it either, just kinda did, lol. Either way, no biggie.


I think part of it, with me, was I was becoming semi annoyed (thanks to other sites) of clumping animes in together because of age groups. I've been on an anime kick this last month (mainly for a few specific genres), and have been looking around for recommendations (off of google of all things, since I don't belong to any strictly anime boards to ask, and don't want to join one to ask a generic, overasked question). Aside from the frequent age group bashing, I was noticing the same animes getting nominated over and over for every question. "What's a good action comedy harem anime", "What's a good drama anime", "What's a good cerebral anime", ect, all of which had Naruto and Elfen Lied in their answers.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Elfen Lied...but how is it a comedy harem? Lol. I think I was just frustrated from having to sift through so many pages of the same three animes being named over and over, to find something new, or that I was aware of but hadn't really looked into yet.
I recomend to you this site:

http://www.narutoforums.com/forumdis...sprune=-1&f=11

I know it's called narutoforums, but most there say naruto sucks right now, some even hate it with passion, the section in that link is the misc. anime section, there's even a thread about each members top 10 anime shows, it's here:

http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=919590

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #47
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,201
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

I can agree with the killing off thing. Not that I want a high body count, but it can completely ruin a great character moment. I believe Bon Kurei survived as well, which given how he was last seen, kinda ruins that moment for me. Then Pell, as you mentioned, being another. Chances are he won't have any large roll again, his death was something that could have solidified the character in a larger than life way, but was rendered null.


I don't think it's that Oda refuses to write sad, or tragic things. Most characters in OP have sad and tragic things in their life, and have sad moments later on. Like Nami's past, then stabbing herself repeatedly to remove the Arlong tattoo. I think he just likes to use death sparingly. Which did take Ace's arc to another level, but it doesn't mean that I agree that character deaths should be used only in that manner.



Fairy Tail is the biggest disappointment to me in this way overall though. I liked the series until I saw a huge repeating pattern that killed any development. Unlike other series, the heroes literally, never lose. In other Shounen's a lot of times the heroes use loss as a means to grow stronger, mentally and physically. Fairy Tail doesn't just do away with character death, all the good guys have to do is shout, "I won't abandon my friends" and they win EVERY time. Even in the latest arc, the "big" surprise ending for their tournament, that was fortold by someone from the future, that was hinted throughout the arc....was that the heroes would win without losing a single battle. As if that were shocking...lol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I recomend to you this site:

http://www.narutoforums.com/forumdis...sprune=-1&f=11

I know it's called narutoforums, but most there say naruto sucks right now, some even hate it with passion, the section in that link is the misc. anime section, there's even a thread about each members top 10 anime shows, it's here:

http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=919590
I can give it a try later, it won't hurt to look. Plus, I don't blame them. When Naruto started, I really did enjoy it. The series didn't start falling apart for me until the new car smell of Shippuuden wore off. IMO, it took a nose dive after a certain point. I can understand why they would start the site with that name, get a bunch of like minded fans there, then all fall out of love with the series.

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Last edited by Fading; 05-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #48
DarkMelody
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: A galaxy far, far away
Posts: 38
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Oh man, your Dr. Phil Psych 101 analysis of my smilies was the best. Thanks for a laugh. I agree that writing well is a gift, it's certainly lacking in your posts. I'll just assume you're dyslexic or English isn't your first language or you type really fast and don't care because we're on the internet (you know, the usual excuses).

You're just being anal and overinflating everything though, I just quoted the Berserk guy for a laugh. That wasn't an implication that I thought it was the top of manga quality, I don't. Call your assumption the only reason it could have been posted, but you can't enforce your reality on mine. Maybe your field of assumptions is just limited. That wasn't why I replied to that post, anal guy. Stop trying to FORCE your IDEAS onto me.
So to summarize, I don't think Berserk is the best manga of all time. You can't force opinions onto me I don't have. With that said, the rest of your assumptions are invalidated. If I don't think Berserk is the best manga of all time then your reasoning on why I quoted that post are totally invalid. Game over, I guess?

Quote:
I criticised your statement of Shonen being for "12 year old boys", One Piece's for example explores an interesting theme every arc without making the whole story around that, and try to force those ideas in the viewers like many seinens and even "smart" films of novels try to.
And? If having varied arcs is mindblowing or high-brow for your standards, then you just have low standards. All you're stating about One Piece is very basic according to my standards and the manga I enjoy. Sorry you feel Seinens are trying to force things on you? I certainly don't feel that way about the great Seinen series I've managed to find. DANG SMART SERIES TRYING TO PUSH THEIR SMARTY SMART ELITIST THEMES ON ME!!!


But anyway, like I said, going after Shounen is like the kid in elementary school who makes fun of Barney. I'll try to resist here on out.


Last edited by DarkMelody; 05-17-2013 at 06:16 PM.
DarkMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #49
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,906
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
I don't think it's that Oda refuses to write sad, or tragic things. Most characters in OP have sad and tragic things in their life, and have sad moments later on. Like Nami's past, then stabbing herself repeatedly to remove the Arlong tattoo. I think he just likes to use death sparingly. Which did take Ace's arc to another level, but it doesn't mean that I agree that character deaths should be used only in that manner.
I remember something about his grandmother not liking unecessary deaths so i think it has to do with how Oda was raised.

Quote:
I can give it a try later, it won't hurt to look. Plus, I don't blame them. When Naruto started, I really did enjoy it. The series didn't start falling apart for me until the new car smell of Shippuuden wore off. IMO, it took a nose dive after a certain point. I can understand why they would start the site with that name, get a bunch of like minded fans there, then all fall out of love with the series.
Yeah, the site's other sections also atracts a big variety of people, there's even somebody there that never liked Naruto because he considered it a badly written Hunter X Hunter rip-off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMelody View Post
Oh man, your Dr. Phil Psych 101 analysis of my smilies was the best. Thanks for a laugh.
You're the one that overanalysed me in the first place O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMelody
I never meant to get into a giant war about Shounen anyway, it was just that guy jumping on and overinflating my innocent humorous comments and self-reflecting his own insecurities and assumptions (like assuming I'm this or that type of viewer that bothered him in the past or that I seriously thought Berserk was top of manga quality or that he could blow my mind by recommending things like Monster and Vagabond, I mean my grandma has probably heard of those ).
Quote:
I agree that writing well is a gift, it's certainly lacking in your posts. I'll just assume you're dyslexic or English isn't your first language or you type really fast and don't care because we're on the internet (you know, the usual excuses).
I'm sorry, it's the second reason with a little of the third one, English is not my first language and i don't allways notice if i'm missing a letter or two, if you don't understand something please say so please. And what i put in bold from you comment, let me just tell you that the internet is as big as the world.

Quote:
You're just being anal and overinflating everything though, I just quoted the Berserk guy for a laugh. That wasn't an implication that I thought it was the top of manga quality, I don't. Call your assumption the only reason it could have been posted, but you can't enforce your reality on mine. Maybe your field of assumptions is just limited. That wasn't why I replied to that post, anal guy. Stop trying to FORCE your IDEAS onto me.
So to summarize, I don't think Berserk is the best manga of all time. You can't force opinions onto me I don't have. With that said, the rest of your assumptions are invalidated. If I don't think Berserk is the best manga of all time then your reasoning on why I quoted that post are totally invalid. Game over, I guess?
I simply can't give you a proper answer to this, i never tried to force ideas upon you, it never seemed like you quoted him for a laugh, and that argument doesn't even make much sence. Every reason for why i answered your statement of Berserk the way i did was already covered in my last post, didn'y expect you to take things so personally.

Quote:
And? If having varied arcs is mindblowing or high-brow for your standards, then you just have low standards. All you're stating about One Piece is very basic according to my standards and the manga I enjoy. Sorry you feel Seinens are trying to force things on you? I certainly don't feel that way about the great Seinen series I've managed to find. DANG SMART SERIES TRYING TO PUSH THEIR SMARTY SMART ELITIST THEMES ON ME!!!
There you are being elitist, downgrading my tastes. I never feel forced about certain ideals, i see people having those complains about certain films and stories, but i can see when a story is trying too hard and ends up feeling forced.

Quote:
But anyway, like I said, going after Shounen is like the kid in elementary school who makes fun of Barney. I'll try to resist here on out.
This kid doesn't feel bullied at all, it's not a problem for some people to like shonens as much, just like there are those who prefer drama oriented to action films.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
DarkMelody
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: A galaxy far, far away
Posts: 38
Default Re: Naruto vs One Piece

I'll just say there's a language barrier here, you don't seen to have understood most of what I've been saying.
I wasn't saying you'd be the one feeling bullied, no need to be bold and proclaim how you don't feel bullied, you didn't grasp that last analogy of mine at all. And the fact that you don't understand my intentions for quoting the Berserk post doesn't mean you can enforce your intentions onto it. Like I said, I don't think Berserk is the best manga of all time, so game over with that line of your debate. Let me tell you, the world is a big place and there are a lot of intentions and senses of humor and personalities you may not immediately grasp.
No point in responding to any of your fallacies regarding me being "elitist" though, like I said that's the lamest most insecure of arguments to call someone elitist. You just vaguely touch on how certain media is forced intellectualism without naming any in particular anyway, if you find 20th Century Boys forced and pretentious and One Piece fluid and brilliant in comparison then well...you can't win 'em all, there's a reason A Haunted House made so much money.

Strange for you to think I'm taking anything at all personally though...I guess that's you self-reflecting? I'm not taking a single thing personally here, it's just anime discussion after all. Different strokes for different folks.

Maybe I can recommend you some manga-ka so that you can come away from this with some cool new manga to try out.
Kengo Hanzawa
Inio Asano
Naoki Urasawa
Jiro Matsumoto
Hitoshi Iwaaki
Satoshi Mizukami
Kouji Mori
Mohiro Kitoh

I'm sure you've heard of a few of them and maybe tried some of their series, but I doubt you've tried everything they have to offer. That should be enough derailing this thread anyway, I'd rather not get in trouble for going offtopic so if you feel like continuing this dance then you'll be doing so on your own.

DarkMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.