Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #76
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Successful solo characters like Iron Man and Captain America have never had to lean so heavily on other factors like Wolverine.
What about being part of the Initiative/Shield? They are including Black Widow and Nick Fury in the next Captain America movie.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #77
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Okay, we need to officially shut down this whole Cap vs. Wolverine thing, as if the fact that Wolverine outgrossed Cap is a testament of its staying power. It actually reveals the exact opposite. Behold:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine= $373,062,864
Captain America= 368,608,363

Okay. Am I the only one who sees how f***ing close these numbers are? That's damn disturbing. By the time XOW came out, Wolverine had been the lead for three X-Men films...plenty of set-up. Next to Spider-Man, he is hands-down Marvel's most popular male character and always has been (he's in every goddamn comic book, even non-X-Men titles, plus his own multiple titles). His film featured appearances from kid Cyclops, Emma Frost, Baby Storm, Gambit, Deadpool, every frigging mutant cameo of all time.

Now, let's look at Captain America by comparison: significantly lesser known and yet his first film (one that came without any set up, no trilogy, etc.) came within spitting distance of Wolverine's first "solo" film. That's on "What the hell" levels, people.

Translation: Audiences are burned out on Wolverine. And I think some of you guys are seriously overestimating his box office pull at this point.

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #78
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Ackkkk! My eyes!

Haha, as overexposed as Beyonce is (and with that exposure comes lots of haters... like me haha), she has actually never been more succesful.
Yeah, but that's because she's part of a team...

No, I'm totally kidding josh8, I wish Wolvie all of Beyonce's overexposed success, cause you said it, this is the most successful she's been, ever.

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #79
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by By your Command View Post
Oh, and also...

What the hell kind of mutant is that?

Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #80
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
What about being part of the Initiative/Shield? They are including Black Widow and Nick Fury in the next Captain America movie.
You can't compare the two. They can afford to feature them in the next film because unlike Wolverine, Captain America is a proven, bankable solo franchise. He didn't need "The Cameo Crutch" to take a stand on his own like XOW did. Neither did Thor or Iron Man in their debuts. Besides, it's unlikely that Black Widow and Nick Fury will get solo films, but they are part of Cap's world now so it's totally sensible that they make appearances post-Avengers.

But Cap doesn't need them. His next film will sell like gangbusters just off the star power of Chris Evans and his amazing, twitching Gluteous Maximus.

Wolverine needs all of these other poeple.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #81
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
If Captain America couldn't even outgross Origins: Wolverine, I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy could even outgross Days of Future Past. Guardians of the Galaxy is like a D-List comic book property and it doesn't even have a Robert Downey Jr playing the lead character of the movie. It might not flop because its part of MCU but I don't see it as a big success that it would gross higher than Days of Future Past. And besides the Iron Man films/The Avengers, none of MCU's films crossed the $500 million mark.
I'm not sure that XMO:W and Cap is a fair comparison. Wolverine was following the highest grossing X film to date, and if I am remembering correctly, was the only superhero film released that summer. Cap introduced a new hero in a unique WW2 setting with Howard Stark as the only previously established character. Cap 2 will give us a better indication of Cap's big screen popularity as compared to Wolvie.

A list, B list, C list.... none of that matters. Disney/Marvel will be loading up stores with Rocket stuffed animals and Groot action figures, putting racks of GOTG t shirts in major retailers, and they may even wrap another monorail. DOFP will have no retail presence. I think kids will react much more strongly to this film than the seventh X Men installment, and it should be a close race between the two.

Quote:
And Captain America was released in 3D. So much for beating X-Men: First Class' worldwide gross.
Frankly, I was surprised Cap did as well as it did.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #82
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Okay, we need to officially shut down this whole Cap vs. Wolverine thing, as if the fact that Wolverine outgrossed Cap is a testament of its staying power. It actually reveals the exact opposite. Behold:

Okay. Am I the only one who sees how f***ing close these numbers are? That's damn disturbing. By the time XOW came out, Wolverine had been the lead for three X-Men films...plenty of set-up. Next to Spider-Man, he is hands-down Marvel's most popular male character and always has been (he's in every goddamn comic book, even non-X-Men titles, plus his own multiple titles). His film featured appearances from kid Cyclops, Emma Frost, Baby Storm, Gambit, Deadpool, every frigging mutant cameo of all time.

Now, let's look at Captain America by comparison: significantly lesser known and yet his first film (one that came without any set up, no trilogy, etc.) came within spitting distance of Wolverine's first "solo" film. That's on "What the hell" levels, people.

Translation: Audiences are burned out on Wolverine. And I think some of you guys are seriously overestimating his box office pull at this point.
Captain America is only close to origins' WW numbers because of price inflation and 3D.

But if you adjust the box-office numbers of all Marvel films to the ticket price of 2013. Origins outgrosses Thor and X2/X3 outgrosses The Amazing Spider-Man. The only Marvel movies that really outgrossed the X-Men series are the original Spider-Man trilogy, the Iron Man movies and The Avengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
A list, B list, C list.... none of that matters. Disney/Marvel will be loading up stores with Rocket stuffed animals and Groot action figures, putting racks of GOTG t shirts in major retailers, and they may even wrap another monorail. DOFP will have no retail presence. I think kids will react much more strongly to this film than the seventh X Men installment, and it should be a close race between the two.
Hmmm we'll see. But Guardians of the Galaxy could be Disney's John Carter 2.0. And about DOFP having no retail presence, that is not yet official. And its up to FOX, the movie will be released next year. So how do you know this movie will not have no retail presence? Thats just pure speculation.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-08-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #83
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not sure that XMO:W and Cap is a fair comparison. Wolverine was following the highest grossing X film to date, and if I am remembering correctly, was the only superhero film released that summer. Cap introduced a new hero in a unique WW2 setting with Howard Stark as the only previously established character. Cap 2 will give us a better indication of Cap's big screen popularity as compared to Wolvie.

Frankly, I was surprised Cap did as well as it did.
I didn't mean to knock Cap down a notch. The movie doing so well was a testament to what a generally good film-making, reputation, and brand name can do for a pretty cheesy concept. It did well and deserved it. I just don't want to get carried away...

Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #84
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:

I don't think it meant that they were burned out on him. His solo movie was never going to do as well as a team X-Men movie. It opened to a very good $85M (which translates to approx. ~$110M now). You can't say that people were sick of Wolverine based on those numbers. It was the quick decline that was the problem, but that is the result of bad word-of-mouth and an overall bad movie. That opening blows Cap out of the water. And as psylockecolossus mentioned, you factor in inflation, and XMO:W made quite a bit more than Cap.

If anything, all the cameos did was create uneven marketing... and there's nothing worse for a movie than confusing marketing. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Quote:
Wolverine needs all of these other poeple.
Again, I disagree, but it's too late to really test that now.

Last edited by josh8; 04-08-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #85
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:

I really think this is a brilliant analysis, Captain America in it's first film almost surpassing Wolverine is something that FOX should really take into consideration, I mean 3D helps, but it can only take you a bit further.

As far as the second round goes, Winter Soldier has the advantage of the already introduced Avengers and a colossal box office victory.

The Wolverine is a (let's face it) not that heavily marketed sequel to the least popular OT movie (critically not Box Office wise) or the not that heavily marketed sequel to the worst X-Men movie so far.

Quote:
What the hell kind of mutant is that?
Her codename is Bootylicious.

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #86
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
You can't compare the two. They can afford to feature them in the next film because unlike Wolverine, Captain America is a proven, bankable solo franchise. He didn't need "The Cameo Crutch" to take a stand on his own like XOW did. Neither did Thor or Iron Man in their debuts. Besides, it's unlikely that Black Widow and Nick Fury will get solo films, but they are part of Cap's world now so it's totally sensible that they make appearances post-Avengers. But Cap doesn't need them. His next film will sell like gangbusters just off the star power of Chris Evans and his amazing, twitching Gluteous Maximus. Wolverine needs all of these other poeple.
And as if majority of the casual viewers went to see Origins, just to see Deadpool and Gambit. You are wrong if thats what you want to say. Wolverine doesn't need Deadpool and Gambit to sell a movie. Wolverine is already a proven, bankable solo franchise when it got more than $80 million in its opening weekend. I know you're tired of Wolverine but it doesn't mean the casual viewers are tired of him too. The trailer of The Wolverine got a lot of buzz in the internet and so far the trailer has received more than 14 million views on YouTube.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #87
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:

Not really. It's pretty simple. X-Men Origins is a terrible movie. Captain America isn't. One is the final piece of Marvel's The Avenger's puzzle. The other is the first spin-off film, missing 90% of actors and characters with which audiences are familiar. One movie has the benefit of 3D. The other doesn't. In fact, 40% of Captain America's $65.7 million opening weekend gross comes from 3D ticket sales. Who knows about the rest? So to pretend that all variables are equal and that X-Men Origin's poor performance is due to audiences simply being burned out on the actor they helped turn into an international superstar just two films earlier is a pretty bold statement.

Last edited by BMM; 04-08-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #88
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
And about DOFP having no retail presence, that is not yet official. And its up to FOX.
No, it's not. Read Marvel's 10Ks prior to the Disney purchase. Marvel may have given away the store on film rights, but they retained both a majority interest and control over associated merchandise. Remember the non-existent racks of XM:FC t shirts and shelves filled with action figures?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #89
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
No, it's not. Read Marvel's 10Ks prior to the Disney purchase. Marvel may have given away the store on film rights, but they retained both a majority interest and control over associated merchandise. Remember the non-existent racks of XM:FC t shirts and shelves filled with action figures?
Having retail presence doesn't mean Guardians of the Galaxy will outgross X-Men: Days of Future Past. Retail presence helps but it doesn't mean it will be more successful just because X-Men: Days of future Past doesn't have any retail presence. If FOX promotes the movie well with trailers, tv spots, posters around the mall, billboards, people will watch the movie. There's a lot of big movies out there that didn't have tie-in toys and t-shirts. Majority of the viewers don't even buy them.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #90
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Having retail presence doesn't mean Guardians of the Galaxy will outgross X-Men: Days of Future Past. Retail presence helps but it doesn't mean it will be more successful just because X-Men: Days of future Past doesn't have any retail presence. If FOX promotes the movie well with trailers, tv spots, posters around the mall, billboards, people will watch the movie. There's a lot of big movies out there that didn't have tie-in toys and t-shirts. Majority of the viewers don't even buy them.
That is one factor, however, that the X-Men franchise has always missed out on. They haven't found a way to really draw in the kiddies (soooo lucrative), but I admire that they haven't been forced to make the movies more kid-friendly. And the Dark Knight franchise has shown that you can still knock it out of the park with a darker take on a comic book movie.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #91
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Captain America is only close to origins' WW numbers because of price inflation and 3D.

But if you adjust the box-office numbers of all Marvel films to the ticket price of 2013. Origins outgrosses Thor and X2/X3 outgrosses The Amazing Spider-Man. The only Marvel movies that really outgrossed the X-Men series are the original Spider-Man trilogy, the Iron Man movies and The Avengers.

You must only be meaning domestic because Origins doesn't begin to touch Thor WW even when you adjust for inflation(still about $60M short). And TASM WW still blasts past X3(even adjusted) by $200M.

I have an inner child. Not an inner teenager.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #92
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Well thats probably wrong and not accurate. LOL.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #93
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
You can't compare the two. They can afford to feature them in the next film because unlike Wolverine, Captain America is a proven, bankable solo franchise. He didn't need "The Cameo Crutch" to take a stand on his own like XOW did. Neither did Thor or Iron Man in their debuts.
I hate to do this, but I pretty much disagree with this entire post.

To say that Captain America is a proven, bankable franchise free of relying on a cameo crutch is a bit naive in my opinion. The entirety of the Marvel Universe is a cameo crutch. That's what makes it fun, and that's part of the draw. And both Captain America films absolutely take advantage of this.

Quote:
Besides, it's unlikely that Black Widow and Nick Fury will get solo films, but they are part of Cap's world now so it's totally sensible that they make appearances post-Avengers.
The same can be said for Jean Grey.

Quote:
But Cap doesn't need them.
To sell more, he does. Captain America is Marvel's second lowest grossing franchise. Marvel knows this, and it's most likely one of the reasons they're included in the film. Does it make sense that those characters are in the sequel otherwise? Yes. But Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson's inclusions are doing plenty to help the sequel.

Quote:
His next film will sell like gangbusters just off the star power of Chris Evans and his amazing, twitching Gluteous Maximus.
If it sells like gangbusters, it won't be because of the star power of Chris Evans. It will be because of the Marvel brand and the part the movie plays in the larger Marvel Universe. Sorry. Evans isn't a big box office draw. If he was, his career would be in better shape otherwise, and Captain America would have done much better than it did.

Last edited by BMM; 04-09-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #94
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
So to pretend that all variables are equal and that X-Men Origin's poor performance is due to audiences simply being burned out on the actor they helped turn into an international superstar just two films earlier is a pretty bold statement.
It's not a bold statement at all. I'm speaking about how I think audiences--including the fanboy community--feel NOW.

Do you sense overall hype and excitement about Wolverine--which is dropping THIS SUMMER? I certainly don't. None of my friends, coworkers, etc. give a damn. It reads like something they've seen before. The trailer seems to have done little to ignite the base, BMM. And general audiences are all about that Iron Man and Man Of Steel anyway.

You only get so many chances in this industry. XOW was a poor film but unfortunately it came behind another mediocre X-film--that he was the lead in. When you add the variables up--as you put it--the sum results in the audience's lack of support for XFC. And that film's under-performance will have a bearing on this upcoming Wolverine film.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #95
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Well thats probably
wrong and not accurate. LOL.
Oh, it's accurate. I just looked it up.

And another thing regarding Cap's film is that it was probably the single most competition-slammed release for any Marvel movie ever. It followed a film that the week before had received the biggest opening weekend of all time(at the time) and was followed the week after by another decently sizable release and both of these films were going after the exact same audience so there's no counter-programming argument that could apply here. I wonder how well Origins or XMFC would have fared in such a squeezed position. I suspect they would not have held up as well as Cap did.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #96
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

14million YouTube views for the trailer of The Wolverine. What??!! Thats crazy! I can totally feel the hype and excitement for the next Wolverine movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
And another thing regarding Cap's film is that it was probably the single most competition-slammed release for any Marvel movie ever. It folowed a film that the week before had recieved the biggest opening weekend of all time(at the time) and was followed the week after by another decently sizable release and both of these films were going after the exact same audience so there's no counter-programming argument that could apply here. I wonder how well Origins or XMFC would have fared in such a squeezed position. I suspect they would not have held up as well as Cap did.
It doesn't matter if Captain America had a lot of competition with other comic-book movies or just blockbuster movies. X-Men had that before so as the other big franchises out there like The Dark Knight and Spider-Man. So its not really an excuse or a reason why the film didn't make more money. At least with Origins, it had a great opening weekend. It was just the bad word-of-mouth that the movie didn't have strong legs at the box-office. What if Captain America ended up as a bad movie? I doubt it wouldn't even outgross the 1st X-Men movie.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-08-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #97
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
I hate to do this, but I pretty much disagree with this entire post.
You're entitled.

Quote:
If it sells like gangbusters, it won't be because of the star power of Chris Evans. It will be because of the Marvel brand and the part the movie plays in the larger Marvel Universe. Sorry. Evans isn't a big box office draw. If he was, his career would be in better shape otherwise, and Captain America would have done much better than it did.
I was actually being entirely facetious about that latter part of my post. If Joss Whedon gives us more of this...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m71qxng9re1r33niz.gif

...he will get at least 10 showings worth of tickets from me.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #98
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
14million YouTube views for the trailer of The Wolverine. What??!! Thats crazy! I can totally feel the hype and excitement for the next Wolverine movie!
Where do you see 14 million views on YouTube?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #99
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzZP-_Ssc

Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #100
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbzZP-_Ssc
The Wolverine: International Trailer

by TheWolverineUK
1 week ago

Watch the official trailer, starring Hugh Jackman! In cinemas July 25th 2013 Like

Closed Thread