The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #851
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Default Re: The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 1

Correction! The Verge says the casing for the Lumia 928 will be polycarbonate and the screen is OLED.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #852
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

What do you guys think about the BB Q10? Judging from videos both the OS and hardware looks really nice, and if I'm understanding correctly, this whole BIS business is no more.
Which is a major plus in my book since my provider doesn't offer any of that.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #853
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Seems like a good device, the OS from what I've heard from the Z10 is still needs time to mature. It's buggy and will have the occasional lag and app crash, but nothing too severe to detract from it. If you're a hardcore texter or have a physical QWERTY preference, I would recommend it.

In Nokia news, looks like they're pulling an Apple with a refresh of their flagship the 920:

Nokia Lumia 928 in White

Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #854
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Yeah I wouldn't really call myself a hardcore texter but I do think that a physical keyboard is miles better than a digital one. I will wait for reviews and see where the price lands though before I make up my mind.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #855
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

1080p Screen Support for Windows Phone Later This Year

Great, this will help Microsoft gain that 'coveted' third place spot from BB and will make the platform even more appealing since its displays can now be even much better than the iPhone.

This does bring up a question, though. Is FHD 1080p screens excessive for smartphones?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #856
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
Yeah I wouldn't really call myself a hardcore texter but I do think that a physical keyboard is miles better than a digital one. I will wait for reviews and see where the price lands though before I make up my mind.
Smart man.

I have preference to tactile sometimes, too. I was actually considering 'upgrading' to the BB Bold 9900 from my Galaxy S, but then the Lumia phones caught my attention and the rest is history.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #857
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Haha, I was really looking at the Lumia 920 as well but the price was just way to high for me

Last edited by gohei_; 04-10-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #858
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I actually made my Android home screen into something cool for once. I saw this Lifehacker post and was inspired to make my own version.

HD Widgets clock, Circle Battery Widget, and PowerToggles at the top. Dock has 5 icons. The Phone one is a folder with Dialer, Contacts, and Direct Dial to Voice Mail. Email icon is a folder to Gmail and K9. For other apps, I use the Circle Launcher Widget, you can faintly see two dots on the ring around the Earth. I also toggle the Notification Bar on and off by holding the menu button.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #859
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Haha, I was really looking at the Lumia 920 as well but the price was just way to high for me
There's always the Lumia 720.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #860
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I actually made my Android home screen into something cool for once. I saw this Lifehacker post and was inspired to make my own version.

HD Widgets clock, Circle Battery Widget, and PowerToggles at the top. Dock has 5 icons. The Phone one is a folder with Dialer, Contacts, and Direct Dial to Voice Mail. Email icon is a folder to Gmail and K9. For other apps, I use the Circle Launcher Widget, you can faintly see two dots on the ring around the Earth. I also toggle the Notification Bar on and off by holding the menu button.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Damn...that looks awesome. Good work man.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #861
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
There's always the Lumia 720.

Interesting, but if I'm gonna trade in my Razr Maxx it's gonna be for a keyboard phone Otherwise I'll probably wait a year or two before I upgrade again.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #862
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
Damn...that looks awesome. Good work man.
Thanks. I also finally bit the bullet on buying Nova Launcher Prime for more gestures. Wish I bought it awhile ago, definitely worth the $4.

Also, if anyone was interested in using the Circle Battery Widget, don't. It hasn't been updated in over a year and isn't accurate. I've switched to Battery Widget Reborn, same thing but it's still supported.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #863
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Interesting, but if I'm gonna trade in my Razr Maxx it's gonna be for a keyboard phone Otherwise I'll probably wait a year or two before I upgrade again.
I see, plus it's probably for the best. The 720 is a mid-range phone with the WVGA 480p display and 512 MB of RAM. Going to it from the Razr Maxx would be a slight downgrade, especially with battery life. Looks like the Q10 is the safest bet or a bluetooth qwerty board.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #864
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Thanks. I also finally bit the bullet on buying Nova Launcher Prime for more gestures. Wish I bought it awhile ago, definitely worth the $4.

Also, if anyone was interested in using the Circle Battery Widget, don't. It hasn't been updated in over a year and isn't accurate. I've switched to Battery Widget Reborn, same thing but it's still supported.
I've been using Circle Battery Widget since I bought the Bionic at launch. Haven't had a problem with accuracy.

I'll try Battery Widget Reborn though.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #865
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I see, plus it's probably for the best. The 720 is a mid-range phone with the WVGA 480p display and 512 MB of RAM. Going to it from the Razr Maxx would be a slight downgrade, especially with battery life. Looks like the Q10 is the safest bet or a bluetooth qwerty board.

Yep, it seems as though the Q10 will be quite expensive, so I will wait for a price drop until I go ahead. If the reviews are good of course.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #866
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
I've been using Circle Battery Widget since I bought the Bionic at launch. Haven't had a problem with accuracy.

I'll try Battery Widget Reborn though.
I just noticed CBW showed my battery at 79 when it was in the 40's. I then checked and saw it hadn't been updated in awhile (last was actually Dec 2012, thought it was in 2011 for some reason) and some of the recent reviews mentioned issues. I came across Battery Widget Reborn which seems to be the exact same thing but with a more current update. Let me know what you think of it compared to CBW.

And I can't sing enough praises of Nova Launcher Prime. After I started using it, I was annoyed to learn it was one of the $0.25 apps on sale in Sept (a month before I got ICS which would have made it compatible for my device), so I didn't feel like buying it. However, it's awesome. I don't like buying apps but $4 for something I use every time I turn my phone on is definitely worth it. If you're only going to pay for one app, this is one to consider (a long with SwiftKey X and Titanium Backup if you root).

Last edited by Spidey-Bat; 04-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #867
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
I just noticed CBW showed my battery at 79 when it was in the 40's. I then checked and saw it hadn't been updated in awhile (last was actually Dec 2012, thought it was in 2011 for some reason) and some of the recent reviews mentioned issues. I came across Battery Widget Reborn which seems to be the exact same thing but with a more current update. Let me know what you think of it compared to CBW.
I will. I'm about to download the beta version right now, but it seems that will be closed off soon and he'll only have his paid version up afterwards. That seems to be the only downside right now.
Quote:
And I can't sing enough praises of Nova Launcher Prime. After I started using it, I was annoyed to learn it was one of the $0.25 apps on sale in Sept (a month before I got ICS which would have made it compatible for my device), so I didn't feel like buying it. However, it's awesome. I don't like buying apps but $4 for something I use every time I turn my phone on is definitely worth it. If you're only going to pay for one app, this is one to consider (a long with SwiftKey X and Titanium Backup if you root).
I haven't tried Prime yet, but I've been a big fan of Go Launcher EX. It gives me a lot of options, and allows me to be as minimalist as possible. I agree about TB being a must have and worth every penny.

Oh and Exynos 5 Octa benchmarks...
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...ere_id41292#3-

Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #868
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
I will. I'm about to download the beta version right now, but it seems that will be closed off soon and he'll only have his paid version up afterwards. That seems to be the only downside right now.
Hadn't noticed that before. The description mentions a free version might come out. The widget was crashing for me, so I had to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall to get it working. I actually think Circle Battery Widget looks better since it's slightly larger when I made it 1x2.

Quote:
I haven't tried Prime yet, but I've been a big fan of Go Launcher EX. It gives me a lot of options, and allows me to be as minimalist as possible. I agree about TB being a must have and worth every penny.
I used Go Launcher for awhile. Then it started to feel bloated and since I was on ICS, I had other options. I have a special place for it since, after I rooted, I was able to get my phone to at least look like it had ICS.

Also, my Bionic can update to JB now! Should I do a factory reset before or after I install the update? I definitely will do it immediately this time since I had issues with ICS that didn't go away until I reset.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #869
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Hadn't noticed that before. The description mentions a free version might come out. The widget was crashing for me, so I had to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall to get it working. I actually think Circle Battery Widget looks better since it's slightly larger when I made it 1x2.

I used Go Launcher for awhile. Then it started to feel bloated and since I was on ICS, I had other options. I have a special place for it since, after I rooted, I was able to get my phone to at least look like it had ICS.
The only thing that annoys me about Go Launcher Ex is the news messages.
Quote:
Also, my Bionic can update to JB now! Should I do a factory reset before or after I install the update? I definitely will do it immediately this time since I had issues with ICS that didn't go away until I reset.
I haven't been pushed the update yet, so I'm impatiently waiting.

It really depends. If you left it stock after rooting, then you can update and do a factory reset afterwards. If you have things frozen or a vanilla rom, I would do a factory reset first because if certain components aren't present during the update, your phone might brick or the update won't go through at all.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #870
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I was going to update last night but I've read that the previous methods of rooting no longer work and the OTA Rootkeeper app seems to be hit-or-miss.

I'm only running stock (never found a ROM I liked) but with some apps frozen. I was able to download the update but I'm holding off on installing it until I know I can re-root it. I'll probably do a factory reset before just to be sure it'll work. I have everything I need backed up. So glad I have Titanium Backup Pro.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #871
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Holy s***! My Droid Bionic just upgraded to Jelly Bean! Was not expecting that!

Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #872
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Were you rooted before?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #873
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Were you rooted before?
Me? Never.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #874
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
I was going to update last night but I've read that the previous methods of rooting no longer work and the OTA Rootkeeper app seems to be hit-or-miss.
There will probably be an exploit to root in the future, so I'm not worried about it too much. I'm thinking of holding off on JB for the Bionic though, as there are a lot of testers claiming the version being pushed out (build 22) tested terribly. They had a build 23, which tested very well, but people are trying to figure out if build 22 removed the issue that caused it to not work properly. The rumor floating around is that build 22 had Verizon's Isis (similar to Google Wallet), which has NFC capability and other functions that the Bionic doesn't have. People that tested both said that build 23 doesn't have Isis, while 22 does, so I'm waiting to see if it's buggy or not.

Although I'm very tempted to just do the upgrade and see for myself.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #875
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I'm in no rush either. I rather wait until there is a known root method than update and hope the rootkeeper worked. the jump from ICS to JB isn't that great, not like GB to ICS. The only feature I know of that JB has is more options in the Notifications pull-down. I can manage without those.

Interesting about the 22 vs 23. Definitely more reason to hold off on the update.

Closed Thread