The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #476
kedrell
I see what you did there

Default Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I get that and it's just another example of why I usually dislike franchise catch-phrases. They all too often come off as just the blatant fan service that they are and that'll always take me out of the movie. It is possible to make them work but I'd say 99% of the time they don't.

I have an inner child. Not an inner teenager.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #477
Soapy
It's happening again...

^I agree. It's a shame they couldn't resist throwing a few of those in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It cheapens the movie a bit.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #478
kedrell
I see what you did there

Not to mention that there's just no way that comparison can come off as anything other than completely one sided. Heston wins.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #479
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^The thing is though this movie is prequel, its still part of the existing franchise so I dont see it as all that bad.

When re-makes or whatever do it, thats when I find it annoying personally, but not when they do it in a movie thats still part of an existing franchise.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #480
kedrell
I see what you did there

I'm pretty sure this is a reboot/remake. Because the whole way Apes rose in this one is completely different than in the original movies.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #481
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a reboot/remake. Because the whole way Apes rose in this one is completely different than in the original movies.
There are some differences but basically the same thing. An ape named Caesar rose up and led a revolution. Saying "No!" was the first act of defiance. It's a loose reboot/prequel kind of thing where you can see it both ways.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #482
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I'm fond of franchise catch phrases and winks in general, as long as they are well executed and not too contrived.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #483
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I'm fond of franchise catch phrases and winks in general, as long as they are well executed and not too contrived.
Problem is that the vast majority of the time they are neither of those.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #484
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
There are some differences but basically the same thing. An ape named Caesar rose up and led a revolution. Saying "No!" was the first act of defiance. It's a loose reboot/prequel kind of thing where you can see it both ways.
When one took place over centuries and the other just happened in modern day I'd say that's a huge difference.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #485
Britannic
Side-Kick

April 9, Vancouver

Jason Clarke, Andy Serkis, Keri Russell, Kodi Smit-McPhee

Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #486
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
To me that scene was undercut by the clunky way they had Malfoy crowbar Heston's iconic line in there.
At least that made sense since it was a human who hates apes being grabbed by an ape.

The one I find really problematic is when Tom Felton is yelling "Its a madhouse!" for no particular reason.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #487
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
When one took place over centuries and the other just happened in modern day I'd say that's a huge difference.
In he original series, Caesar led his rebellion in the early 90s, so only about 20 years in the future at the time, even though as Cornelius explained to the government commission in Escape that at least according to ape histories before time travel shennanigans, it took centuries to reach that point.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #488
dark_b
Side-Kick

those 3 are playing humans? boring.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #489
Octoberist
point blank

I always thought this reboot was the start of the proper time line, whereas the previous series dealt with the circular tangent timeline.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #490
Soapy
It's happening again...

I'm pretty sure it's a reboot.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #491
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a reboot.
Rise was basically a reimagined version of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, even down to maintaining the name Caesar itself.

This is one of the few times the term "reimagining" isn't just a sidestepped term for "remake." It really did take the basic premise of Conquest and place it in a very different context.

As for fan service, I think Rise went a little to far at times. The damn dirty apes line is completely obvious of course but I don't mind the way they used it. Other lines such as "madhouse" were unprompted and unneeded. Caesar playing with a statue of liberty was a little odd but not problematic.

The news reports about the disappearance of the space crew was just kind of goofy though.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #492
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Again I didnt really mind all of that stuff, it didnt take me out of the movie, with the exception of "Its a maaaadhouse!" line as it just seemed out of place, the rest I was fine with.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #493
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
The news reports about the disappearance of the space crew was just kind of goofy though.
I thought that was a nice little nod. 99% of the audience probably didn't even get the reference so it wasn't a big deal. It's not like they had a Charlton Heston look-a-like winking at the camera.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #494
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
In he original series, Caesar led his rebellion in the early 90s, so only about 20 years in the future at the time, even though as Cornelius explained to the government commission in Escape that at least according to ape histories before time travel shennanigans, it took centuries to reach that point.

I'm aware of that and at least IMO the original series should have stopped after Escape from the Planet of the Apes as Conquest simply doesn't add up. Caesar may be a intelligent ape but the rest of his followers should still take hundreds of years before they could even talk. Yet in the film after Conquest they're all talking.

And in this new series there's no time travel shenanigans to account for Caesar. So I see it as a reboot that is starting from the other end instead of way up in the future.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #495
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
I thought that was a nice little nod. 99% of the audience probably didn't even get the reference so it wasn't a big deal. It's not like they had a Charlton Heston look-a-like winking at the camera.
It was told through a shot that had nothing to do with anything else.

Plus instead they just had the Omega Man playing.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #496
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
I'm aware of that and at least IMO the original series should have stopped after Escape from the Planet of the Apes as Conquest simply doesn't add up. Caesar may be a intelligent ape but the rest of his followers should still take hundreds of years before they could even talk. Yet in the film after Conquest they're all talking.

And in this new series there's no time travel shenanigans to account for Caesar. So I see it as a reboot that is starting from the other end instead of way up in the future.

Or they just had a story to tell and money to make. Conquest is awesome. It doesn't make any more or less sense than how the apes were able to travel back in time for Escape.

And the fact that the apes talk is the least of the problems with Battle.

Last edited by redhawk23; 04-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #497
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

By the way, I went to a panel featuring Tom Felton at St. Louis Comicon a few weeks back. I was surprised by how much of his time was actually spent talking about his Apes appearance rather than Harry Potter.

He talked about how actually vicious Serkis could get in real life when he got into character as Caesar. It was pretty interesting.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #498
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Quote:
It was told through a shot that had nothing to do with anything else.
Yeah, but it took what? 3 seconds of screen time? Is it even worth complaining about, just a fun nod to fans is all. It also might be a plot point to play up in a future instalment (who knows now that the original director is out of the picture).

Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #499
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I'm just saying, nods are fine but the film was already jammed packed with them and putting in random asides just to cram more in is kind of goofy. The nods take people out of the movie even when they are actually incorporated into what's gong on.

I'm not even complaining. I love the movie. I'm just saying I hope they lay off that kind of thing.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #500
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Wow, Kodi's sure grown up.

Closed Thread