The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,322
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Well, we always think actors who are typecast in previous stuff is miscast before we actually see them in action. If it turns out after the fact they were miscast, hey.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is online now  
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction
 
Gamma Goliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,200
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I think Dr. Cosmic meant they seemed somewhat mismatched when they were first cast.
Ah I see. Either way I think chestnut is mismatched, a miscast, all round wrong for the role. But I'm not expecting him to get it anyways.

__________________
"It's the possibility of a dream coming true that makes life interesting."
Gamma Goliath is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side-Copy Shop
Posts: 6,183
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

The thing is, Chris Evans can act. Heath Ledger could act. RDJ can act. Morris Chestnut is very average. Definitely not leading man quality.

__________________
"When you come at the King you best not miss"- Omar Little

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,732
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

You never know who's leading man quality until they're given the opportunity.

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 19,067
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
You never know who's leading man quality until they're given the opportunity.
But if he's not that great to start with, it's more of a risk for Marvel, especially with all the fans who will be sure to roast his chestnuts on an open fire.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #31
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings
 
JB-the-Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,732
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But if he's not that great to start with, it's more of a risk for Marvel, especially with all the fans who will be sure to roast his chestnuts on an open fire.


I'm not saying I want him in the role, I'm saying if he does get cast I don't have a problem with it. I trust Marvel when it comes to casting.

__________________
Natasha Romanoff - "Are you boys really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats."

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
Casius--J
Web Master
 
Casius--J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,586
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Well, she did said it's HER list...not THE list. I can't tell someone else which characters to like. Everyone here would probably have a different looking list.
Oh I didn't catch that bit, I thought it was a list that a group compiled/voted for. In that case then never mind what I said before, it all comes down to personal choice and those are hers. Mine would be a lot different though.

Casius--J is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick
 
TheHeatKitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,128
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
The thing is, Chris Evans can act. Heath Ledger could act. RDJ can act. Morris Chestnut is very average. Definitely not leading man quality.
I'm ok with that because I dont think Black Panther should get a big budget solo film anyway, personally. I think he would make a great support character for an Avengers storyline, like in the Ultimate Avengers 2 animated movie, only smaller.

TheHeatKitchen is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #34
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
 
OnTheAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 2,701
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Well, she did said it's HER list...not THE list. I can't tell someone else which characters to like. Everyone here would probably have a different looking list.
Agreed. Lists in general are created and published to create dialogue...even start controversy, and to drive up viewers, magazine sales, website hits, etc. If she does or does not believe those are the 10 top Black characters in comics, that's on her...her list isn't any more or less valid than mine would be.

OnTheAir is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
 
OnTheAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 2,701
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
The thing is, Chris Evans can act. Heath Ledger could act. RDJ can act. Morris Chestnut is very average. Definitely not leading man quality.
I agree, for the most part. I mean, Chestnut is fine leading lighthearted romantic comedies (The Best Man, The Brothers, Two Can Play That Game), but as the lead in a BP solo film, or even in a supporting role in the Avengers 2, playing off of RDJ, Evans, Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson...I just can't see it. Marvel has spoiled us by casting good actors in their main roles. To this point in his career, Chestnut hasn't shown himself to be more than average.

And I hate coming off as I dislike the guy...I don't. I just don't like him in this role.

OnTheAir is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
I agree, for the most part. I mean, Chestnut is fine leading lighthearted romantic comedies (The Best Man, The Brothers, Two Can Play That Game), but as the lead in a BP solo film, or even in a supporting role in the Avengers 2, playing off of RDJ, Evans, Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson...I just can't see it. Marvel has spoiled us by casting good actors in their main roles. To this point in his career, Chestnut hasn't shown himself to be more than average.

And I hate coming off as I dislike the guy...I don't. I just don't like him in this role.
..... and you clearly haven't watched material he's been in outside of an occasional rom-com.


Last edited by Rock Sexton; 04-10-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Rock Sexton is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #37
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,402
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

I disagree with some of the assessments above. Morris Chestnut is actually a very versatile actor. I watched him as a regular on both seasons of "V" and he was brilliant. On top of that, he is amazing with action scenes and fight sequences--he would totally bring the level of bad assery needed for BP. Women of all kinds adore him, and as was mentioned, he's a staple in Black American films, so that demographic would certainly come out to support him.

And, he definitely has the look:



He's definitely not what I would choose for BP--I'd prefer someone with more true native African sensibilities, versus Americanized "Hollywood Black"--but to say he's not an "inspired casting choice" (if it proves to be true) would be incorrect.

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.

Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #38
MCU
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 156
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I hope they keep Morris Chestnut as far away from this role as possible, John Boyega or Chiwetel Ejiofor would be my choices for the role.
Lol did u see my post in the last thread or something? Cause I have like never seen anybody else suggest John Boyega besides me. He is a great choice if their gonna go the really young route just outa college genius king kid lol.

And, I think I speak for most when I say Chiwetel Ejiofor is the clear cut top choice for most.

People I want in supporting roles:

Djimon Hounsou(As BP's Father)
Peter Mensah
Westly Snipes
Denzel Washington(I doubt they can get him but who knows, theyv'e gotten Jeff Bridges, Anthony Hopkins, and Robert Redford so it is possible)

MCU is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #39
MCU
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 156
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
I disagree with some of the assessments above. Morris Chestnut is actually a very versatile actor. I watched him as a regular on both seasons of "V" and he was brilliant. On top of that, he is amazing with action scenes and fight sequences--he would totally bring the level of bad assery needed for BP. Women of all kinds adore him, and as was mentioned, he's a staple in Black American films, so that demographic would certainly come out to support him.

And, he definitely has the look:



He's definitely not what I would choose for BP--I'd prefer someone with more true native African sensibilities, versus Americanized "Hollywood Black"--but to say he's not an "inspired casting choice" (if it proves to be true) would be incorrect.
I also think Chesnut isn't a bad choice. My top pick? No. But he's a good actor actually who has been waiting for a star vehicle. This could be it. The only trouble is, BP has to have an African Accent whether its a true accent or acted, it needs to be there. I don't no if Chestnut can pull that accent off though.

MCU is offline  
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #40
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,847
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
And, he definitely has the look:


I think he should be Luke Cage tbqh

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #41
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
 
OnTheAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 2,701
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
..... and you clearly haven't watched material he's been in outside of an occasional rom-com.
I have...wasn't impressed.

OnTheAir is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #42
Rock Sexton
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 9,139
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU View Post
I also think Chesnut isn't a bad choice. My top pick? No. But he's a good actor actually who has been waiting for a star vehicle. This could be it. The only trouble is, BP has to have an African Accent whether its a true accent or acted, it needs to be there. I don't no if Chestnut can pull that accent off though.
He's got a movie coming out called "The Call" where he co-stars with Halli Berry. Interested to see how he performs.

Rock Sexton is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #43
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!
 
RockSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,372
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
He's got a movie coming out called "The Call" .
It's already out.

__________________
It's not Marvel and DC's place to create our stories. We create our stories. --Dwayne McDuffie

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #44
OB12
Side-Kick
 
OB12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,207
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

I think Chestnut is a decent enough actor, I'm just not sure that I buy him as T'Challa. He doesn't come off as highly intelligent to me, not that he comes as being dumb, he's just a very smooth everyman in my opinion. In addition he is really 10-12 years too old for this character in my opinion. All that said, I'd still like to see him in the MCU in some capacity. Luke Cage maybe, though I still believe Terry Crews is the best option there.

OB12 is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #45
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
 
OnTheAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 2,701
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
He's got a movie coming out called "The Call" where he co-stars with Halli Berry. Interested to see how he performs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
It's already out.
Yeah...it's a WWE film. I saw some of it while at the barber shop (you know how we do). He was decent in it...typical Morris Chestnut. Again, for the record, I don't think he's a terrible actor at all, and he definitely has a screen presence...I just think he has his niche, and T'Challa doesn't fall within it. (And I fully realize that I am typecasting him...if he actually got the part, I really hope he'd prove me wrong...I'd want him to...this role is too important for him not to prove me wrong!)

OnTheAir is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #46
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
 
OnTheAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 2,701
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

One area where I definitely do appreciate Morris is his private life. Married since 1995 to the same woman, and the sista is a cutie! I'm not mad at cha, bruh!








OnTheAir is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #47
tdeverea
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 364
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
The thing is, Chris Evans can act. Heath Ledger could act. RDJ can act. Morris Chestnut is very average. Definitely not leading man quality.
I wonder how you (or comic book fans in general) felt about Chris Evans prior to seeing him actually play Steve Rogers/Captain America...

You thought he could act based on his more popular works at the time in:

Not Another Teen Movie
Cellular
Fantastic Four 1 and 2
Push
Losers

????

Let's be really honest. Because I didn't think Evans would work. I didn't think Ledger would work. And then, they both nailed the roles.

I also don't think Chestnut would work but I've been very wrong twice before.

tdeverea is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #48
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side-Copy Shop
Posts: 6,183
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
I wonder how you (or comic book fans in general) felt about Chris Evans prior to seeing him actually play Steve Rogers/Captain America...

You thought he could act based on his more popular works at the time in:

Not Another Teen Movie
Cellular
Fantastic Four 1 and 2
Push
Losers

????

Let's be really honest. Because I didn't think Evans would work. I didn't think Ledger would work. And then, they both nailed the roles.

I also don't think Chestnut would work but I've been very wrong twice before.
I doubt if my posts from that time can be found, but I was on board with Evans when he was announced as a candidate for the role. The man can act. He stood out in all those movies you named and I noticed his performances in movies like London and Sunshine as well.

__________________
"When you come at the King you best not miss"- Omar Little

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #49
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 24,090
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Actually there were a number of people happy to see Evans cast due to his performances in Sunshine, Puncture and London.

Alot of actors show acting range in the body of their work. The problem is most people only watch the most successful or mainstream of some actors work which means they think those actors have a limited acting range.

__________________
King Of Strong Style
chamber-music is offline  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #50
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!
 
Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side-Copy Shop
Posts: 6,183
Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

^Exactly. And I've been in the unfortunate position of having to suffer through the majority of Chestnut's films(due to relationships) and I was never impressed with the dude.

__________________
"When you come at the King you best not miss"- Omar Little

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.