The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Well, we always think actors who are typecast in previous stuff is miscast before we actually see them in action. If it turns out after the fact they were miscast, hey.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I think Dr. Cosmic meant they seemed somewhat mismatched when they were first cast.
Ah I see. Either way I think chestnut is mismatched, a miscast, all round wrong for the role. But I'm not expecting him to get it anyways.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

The thing is, Chris Evans can act. Heath Ledger could act. RDJ can act. Morris Chestnut is very average. Definitely not leading man quality.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

You never know who's leading man quality until they're given the opportunity.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
You never know who's leading man quality until they're given the opportunity.
But if he's not that great to start with, it's more of a risk for Marvel, especially with all the fans who will be sure to roast his chestnuts on an open fire.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #31
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But if he's not that great to start with, it's more of a risk for Marvel, especially with all the fans who will be sure to roast his chestnuts on an open fire.

I'm not saying I want him in the role, I'm saying if he does get cast I don't have a problem with it. I trust Marvel when it comes to casting.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
Casius--J
Web Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Well, she did said it's HER list...not THE list. I can't tell someone else which characters to like. Everyone here would probably have a different looking list.
Oh I didn't catch that bit, I thought it was a list that a group compiled/voted for. In that case then never mind what I said before, it all comes down to personal choice and those are hers. Mine would be a lot different though.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
The thing is, Chris Evans can act. Heath Ledger could act. RDJ can act. Morris Chestnut is very average. Definitely not leading man quality.
I'm ok with that because I dont think Black Panther should get a big budget solo film anyway, personally. I think he would make a great support character for an Avengers storyline, like in the Ultimate Avengers 2 animated movie, only smaller.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #34
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
Well, she did said it's HER list...not THE list. I can't tell someone else which characters to like. Everyone here would probably have a different looking list.
Agreed. Lists in general are created and published to create dialogue...even start controversy, and to drive up viewers, magazine sales, website hits, etc. If she does or does not believe those are the 10 top Black characters in comics, that's on her...her list isn't any more or less valid than mine would be.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
I agree, for the most part. I mean, Chestnut is fine leading lighthearted romantic comedies (The Best Man, The Brothers, Two Can Play That Game), but as the lead in a BP solo film, or even in a supporting role in the Avengers 2, playing off of RDJ, Evans, Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson...I just can't see it. Marvel has spoiled us by casting good actors in their main roles. To this point in his career, Chestnut hasn't shown himself to be more than average.

And I hate coming off as I dislike the guy...I don't. I just don't like him in this role.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #36
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
I agree, for the most part. I mean, Chestnut is fine leading lighthearted romantic comedies (The Best Man, The Brothers, Two Can Play That Game), but as the lead in a BP solo film, or even in a supporting role in the Avengers 2, playing off of RDJ, Evans, Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson...I just can't see it. Marvel has spoiled us by casting good actors in their main roles. To this point in his career, Chestnut hasn't shown himself to be more than average.

And I hate coming off as I dislike the guy...I don't. I just don't like him in this role.
..... and you clearly haven't watched material he's been in outside of an occasional rom-com.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 04-10-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #37
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

I disagree with some of the assessments above. Morris Chestnut is actually a very versatile actor. I watched him as a regular on both seasons of "V" and he was brilliant. On top of that, he is amazing with action scenes and fight sequences--he would totally bring the level of bad assery needed for BP. Women of all kinds adore him, and as was mentioned, he's a staple in Black American films, so that demographic would certainly come out to support him.

And, he definitely has the look:

He's definitely not what I would choose for BP--I'd prefer someone with more true native African sensibilities, versus Americanized "Hollywood Black"--but to say he's not an "inspired casting choice" (if it proves to be true) would be incorrect.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #38
MCU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I hope they keep Morris Chestnut as far away from this role as possible, John Boyega or Chiwetel Ejiofor would be my choices for the role.
Lol did u see my post in the last thread or something? Cause I have like never seen anybody else suggest John Boyega besides me. He is a great choice if their gonna go the really young route just outa college genius king kid lol.

And, I think I speak for most when I say Chiwetel Ejiofor is the clear cut top choice for most.

People I want in supporting roles:

Djimon Hounsou(As BP's Father)
Peter Mensah
Westly Snipes
Denzel Washington(I doubt they can get him but who knows, theyv'e gotten Jeff Bridges, Anthony Hopkins, and Robert Redford so it is possible)

Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #39
MCU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
I disagree with some of the assessments above. Morris Chestnut is actually a very versatile actor. I watched him as a regular on both seasons of "V" and he was brilliant. On top of that, he is amazing with action scenes and fight sequences--he would totally bring the level of bad assery needed for BP. Women of all kinds adore him, and as was mentioned, he's a staple in Black American films, so that demographic would certainly come out to support him.

He's definitely not what I would choose for BP--I'd prefer someone with more true native African sensibilities, versus Americanized "Hollywood Black"--but to say he's not an "inspired casting choice" (if it proves to be true) would be incorrect.
I also think Chesnut isn't a bad choice. My top pick? No. But he's a good actor actually who has been waiting for a star vehicle. This could be it. The only trouble is, BP has to have an African Accent whether its a true accent or acted, it needs to be there. I don't no if Chestnut can pull that accent off though.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #40
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post

I think he should be Luke Cage tbqh

Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #41
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
..... and you clearly haven't watched material he's been in outside of an occasional rom-com.
I have...wasn't impressed.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #42
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCU View Post
I also think Chesnut isn't a bad choice. My top pick? No. But he's a good actor actually who has been waiting for a star vehicle. This could be it. The only trouble is, BP has to have an African Accent whether its a true accent or acted, it needs to be there. I don't no if Chestnut can pull that accent off though.
He's got a movie coming out called "The Call" where he co-stars with Halli Berry. Interested to see how he performs.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #43
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
He's got a movie coming out called "The Call" .
It's already out.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #44
OB12
Side-Kick

I think Chestnut is a decent enough actor, I'm just not sure that I buy him as T'Challa. He doesn't come off as highly intelligent to me, not that he comes as being dumb, he's just a very smooth everyman in my opinion. In addition he is really 10-12 years too old for this character in my opinion. All that said, I'd still like to see him in the MCU in some capacity. Luke Cage maybe, though I still believe Terry Crews is the best option there.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #45
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
He's got a movie coming out called "The Call" where he co-stars with Halli Berry. Interested to see how he performs.
Quote:
It's already out.
Yeah...it's a WWE film. I saw some of it while at the barber shop (you know how we do). He was decent in it...typical Morris Chestnut. Again, for the record, I don't think he's a terrible actor at all, and he definitely has a screen presence...I just think he has his niche, and T'Challa doesn't fall within it. (And I fully realize that I am typecasting him...if he actually got the part, I really hope he'd prove me wrong...I'd want him to...this role is too important for him not to prove me wrong!)

Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #46
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

One area where I definitely do appreciate Morris is his private life. Married since 1995 to the same woman, and the sista is a cutie! I'm not mad at cha, bruh!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #47
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wonder how you (or comic book fans in general) felt about Chris Evans prior to seeing him actually play Steve Rogers/Captain America...

You thought he could act based on his more popular works at the time in:

Not Another Teen Movie
Cellular
Fantastic Four 1 and 2
Push
Losers

????

Let's be really honest. Because I didn't think Evans would work. I didn't think Ledger would work. And then, they both nailed the roles.

I also don't think Chestnut would work but I've been very wrong twice before.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #48
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
I wonder how you (or comic book fans in general) felt about Chris Evans prior to seeing him actually play Steve Rogers/Captain America...

You thought he could act based on his more popular works at the time in:

Not Another Teen Movie
Cellular
Fantastic Four 1 and 2
Push
Losers

????

Let's be really honest. Because I didn't think Evans would work. I didn't think Ledger would work. And then, they both nailed the roles.

I also don't think Chestnut would work but I've been very wrong twice before.
I doubt if my posts from that time can be found, but I was on board with Evans when he was announced as a candidate for the role. The man can act. He stood out in all those movies you named and I noticed his performances in movies like London and Sunshine as well.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #49
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Actually there were a number of people happy to see Evans cast due to his performances in Sunshine, Puncture and London.

Alot of actors show acting range in the body of their work. The problem is most people only watch the most successful or mainstream of some actors work which means they think those actors have a limited acting range.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #50
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

^Exactly. And I've been in the unfortunate position of having to suffer through the majority of Chestnut's films(due to relationships) and I was never impressed with the dude.

Closed Thread