The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Love interest for Cap
Sharon Carter 86 79.63%
Wasp 3 2.78%
Other 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #151
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

I don't think it will be touched upon anyway. When exactly is there time in this film, with all the plot and characters that seem to have been squeezed into this? As I said before, even Emily VanCamp's role seems to have been possibly reduced, so the main story will be Steve and Natasha dealing with Winter Soldier/ Bucky, and possibly Nick Fury clashing with Redford.

In The Avengers, which was also an emergency situation, there was no time for any love. The only time there was for that was at the beginning when Tony and Pepper were together and they didn't yet know of the urgency of the matter.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #152
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I don't think it will be touched upon anyway. When exactly is there time in this film, with all the plot and characters that seem to have been squeezed into this? As I said before, even Emily VanCamp's role seems to have been possibly reduced, so the main story will be Steve and Natasha dealing with Winter Soldier/ Bucky, and possibly Nick Fury clashing with Redford.
Exactly, and that's what I was saying to Vile. How exactly is it unavoidable? It's practically impossible.

I don't think Van Camp's role is going to be too reduced though, if we're comparing it to Peggy. She IS the "main love interest" that took so long to cast after all.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #153
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

THIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I don't think Van Camp's role is going to be too reduced though, if we're comparing it to Peggy. She IS the "main love interest" that took so long to cast after all.
Like JB said, She's Cap's main love interest... She's not just going to be just a bit player in the film. Press releases are not written with how fans such as ourselves are going to interpret them(trust me on this one guys, I've got a friend who used to write them for another studio). Her placement in the press release has nothing at all to do with how large her role will be. The reason the press release is worded the way it is, is because she's not a household name yet and she's new to the cast. I'm almost 100% positive that whoever wrote the press release didn't even think twice about anything other than making sure to only call her "Agent 13". The fact that they're only referring to her as "Agent 13" at the moment is telling though. It means Cap discovering who she really is will likely be a major aspect of the film. Come next year, I don't think anyone will be disappointed with how much screen time she has in the film. I could be wrong, but I'd almost be willing to bet a large sum of money that I'm not.

DarthMuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #154
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
Steve isn't progressive, and it's a fallacy to say people who were cool with non whites and women and power are progressive. Let's just leave politics out of this.
It is if you're in the '40s.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #155
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMuppet View Post
THIS!

Like JB said, She's Cap's main love interest... She's not just going to be just a bit player in the film. Press releases are not written with how fans such as ourselves are going to interpret them(trust me on this one guys, I've got a friend who used to write them for another studio). Her placement in the press release has nothing at all to do with how large her role will be. The reason the press release is worded the way it is, is because she's not a household name yet and she's new to the cast. I'm almost 100% positive that whoever wrote the press release didn't even think twice about anything other than making sure to only call her "Agent 13". The fact that they're only referring to her as "Agent 13" at the moment is telling though. It means Cap discovering who she really is will likely be a major aspect of the film. Come next year, I don't think anyone will be disappointed with how much screen time she has in the film. I could be wrong, but I'd almost be willing to bet a large sum of money that I'm not.
Yeah, but she's the penultimate character in the cast. Behind Georges St-felching-Pierre. Who isn't a household name, and neither are Frank Grillo, or Cobbie Smulder, for that matter.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #156
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can agree with what you're just saying. My main point though isn't that I think Steve needs to be shown or implied as a virgin, I just don't think it needs to be shown or implied that he's not a virgin. His sex life doesn't really need to be touched on in film.
Fair enough. I just would be okay with whatever road they go, so long as it is executed well.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #157
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Yeah, but she's the penultimate character in the cast. Behind Georges St-felching-Pierre. Who isn't a household name, and neither are Frank Grillo, or Cobbie Smulder, for that matter.
Like I keep saying, it doesn't matter one single bit where her name was placed. If it had said, "making a brief appearance", I might see reason to worry. It didn't, so I don't. In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet she ends up with more screen time than either Smulders or Jackson.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #158
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMuppet View Post
Like I keep saying, it doesn't matter one single bit where her name was placed. If it had said, "making a brief appearance", I might see reason to worry. It didn't, so I don't. In fact, I'd almost be willing to bet she ends up with more screen time than either Smulders or Jackson.
They do say "rounding up the talent" and list her alongside Hayley Atwell, who we know is there for a cameo.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #159
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
They do say "rounding up the talent" and list her alongside Hayley Atwell, who we know is there for a cameo.
I still say you're reading too much into it.

Last edited by DarthMuppet; 04-10-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #160
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

A largely unknown actress is playing a role that isn't mentioned in the synopsis, and is listed almost last. It looks like more of an indication that it's a reduced role than it is a badly worded one.

I invoke Occam's razor.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #161
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
A largely unknown actress is playing a role that isn't mentioned in the synopsis, and is listed almost last. It looks like more of an indication that it's a reduced role than it is a badly worded one.

I invoke Occam's razor.
Why is it that every trade reported her as a lead when she was cast? In fact, they called her THE female lead. I don't think she'll get a bigger role than Scarlett Johansson, but I'd say her role will be big enough.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #162
DarthMuppet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why is it that every trade reported her as a lead when she was cast? In fact, they called her THE female lead. I don't think she'll get a bigger role than Scarlett Johansson, but I'd say her role will be big enough.
Agreed. I'd say her role in the film will be roughly equivalent to the amount of screen time Atwell got in the first film.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #163
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
But were the trades assuming she was the lead at the time when she was cast? We don't know if the script has since been rewritten, especially since Redford came onboard. That was over a month ago, and the Marvel announcement might be more accurate.

It looks more like Scarlett Johansson is THE female lead in the movie, and Emily's role is akin to Shailene Woodley's in ASM2.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #164
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But were the trades assuming she was the lead at the time when she was cast? We don't know if the script has since been rewritten, especially since Redford came onboard. That was over a month ago, and the Marvel announcement might be more accurate.

It looks more like Scarlett Johansson is THE female lead in the movie, and Emily's role is akin to Shailene Woodley's in ASM2.
We don't even know what her role is. If we're comparing it to a film that has already been released and seen, let's say... the first Cap movie, I think her role will be more akin to Bucky.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #165
peterparker0077
Side-Kick

I think we're loosing focus again here folks...

or more sharon carter like..

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #166
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Who's likely to be more accurate, deadline or Marvel themselves?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #167
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Who's likely to be more accurate, deadline or Marvel themselves?
Did Marvel say she had a reduced role or something? I must have missed that in the press release.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #168
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Did Marvel say she had a reduced role or something? I must have missed that in the press release.
Marvel listed her ALMOST LAST.

If she was the female lead, I'd expect it would be at least somewhere toward the middle.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #169
Chewy
REDACTED

The comparison to Bucky seems about right, who was in the first movie for around 10 minutes, I'd guess (that may be generous). And mostly to set up this movie.

I'm thinking the only real major players in this movie will be Cap, Widow, Bucky, Falcon, Fury, Pierce and maybe Crossbones

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #170
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The comparison to Bucky seems about right, who was in the first movie for around 10 minutes, I'd guess (that may be generous). And mostly to set up this movie.

I'm thinking the only real major players in this movie will be Cap, Widow, Bucky, Falcon, Fury, Pierce and maybe Crossbones
Yeah, Bucky didn't have a ton of screen time, I don't think, but he did have a lot of important 1-on-1 scenes with Cap. That's what I expect with Sharon.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #171
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I'd like to see more Sharon. I don't want her screen time just as a love interest.

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #172
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Marvel listed her ALMOST LAST.

If she was the female lead, I'd expect it would be at least somewhere toward the middle.
Look! Don Cheadle's name is almost last! He must have NO ROLE AT ALL!!!

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/iron-man-three-2013

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #173
ctsketch
Side-Kick

IM3 Official synopsis

"Starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Rebecca Hall, Stephanie Szostak, James Badge Dale with Jon Favreau and Ben Kingsley, “Iron Man 3″ is directed by Shane Black from a screenplay by Drew Pearce and Shane Black and is based on Marvel’s iconic Super Hero Iron Man, who first appeared on the pages of “Tales of Suspense” (#39) in 1963 and had his solo comic book debut with “The Invincible Iron Man” (#1) in May of 1968."

Ben Kingsley is LAST!

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #174
Lorus
Side-Kick

Sharon Carter could have a comparatively limited role and still serve an important purpose to the film. The prime comparison I think is with Hawkeye in the Avengers. Yes, people did complain about Hawkeye in that film, but that wasn't so much because of his screen time, rather because he was under Loki's spell during said time. Even so though, he made a good showing of himself at the end and served as a thematic through line which strengthens the film. Assuming that the writing is good, or at least competent, Sharon Carter could be well served with that kind of screen time.

Personally, I'd be all for moving the films away from the need to include a romantic subplot every time though.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #175
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
IM3 Official synopsis

"Starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Rebecca Hall, Stephanie Szostak, James Badge Dale with Jon Favreau and Ben Kingsley, “Iron Man 3″ is directed by Shane Black from a screenplay by Drew Pearce and Shane Black and is based on Marvel’s iconic Super Hero Iron Man, who first appeared on the pages of “Tales of Suspense” (#39) in 1963 and had his solo comic book debut with “The Invincible Iron Man” (#1) in May of 1968."

Ben Kingsley is LAST!
Now that's a very bad example, because a) he's listed in the main cast, and b) everyone knows that when a big actor/ main character is listed last, it signifies the most prestigious role other than the primary protagonist. It's the "and" status that Kingsley has, just like Samuel L Jackson had and Robert Redford may have in Cap 2.

It's if you come after the "and" credit of the main cast, that's where all the minor roles/ cameo appearances usually go. That's where Emily Van Camp is listed.

You don't think that Maximillano Hernandez has the prestigious "and" credit by being listed last in that article do you?

Even anyone who doesn't think Emily has a reduced role would see your example of Kingsley as a bad one.