The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #951
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 4

They already introduced the younger version of Jean and Scott. Storm is the only one left. I don't think the general public really needs to see how those three became a X-Men because its gonna be another movie that will explain what happened in the past, another prequel! and it just going to kill the momentum that this series will have when DOFP earned more than $700 million worldwide (LOL). The general public is more interested with the adventures of the original cast, not with spin-offs and prequels.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #952
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They already introduced the younger version of Jean and Scott. Storm is the only one left.
Those introductions were rather brief and didn't really expand on the characters much. Plus it doesn't necessarily have to be an origin story for those characters and how they came to be on the team etc. They can already be on the team.

Quote:
I don't think the general public really needs to see how those three became a X-Men because its gonna be another movie that will explain what happened in the past, another prequel! and it just going to kill the momentum that this series will have when DOFP earned more than $700 million worldwide (LOL).
But why would it kill the momentum? DoFP itself is partly a prequel. The future characters and their stories can't really build up to anything because DoFP future is a dead end and if another movie is made about the OT characters it won't really relate to DoFP much, it would be like DoFP hasn't actually happened.

Quote:
The general public is more interested with the adventures of the original cast, not with spin-offs and prequels.
Even if more than half of the most recognisable original cast members are missing? No Professor X, no Magneto, no Jean, no Scott, no Mystique? DoFP is meant to focus on the relationship between Professor X and Magneto a lot, and then they're not even going to be in the next movie?

I'll grant you Wolverine and perhaps Storm, but I doubt that the general public is all that interested in seeing the adventures of minor OT characters like Kitty, Iceman, Rogue and Colossus. Maybe Wolverine's presence alone would be enough to get the public interested, but then it's all really about Wolverine rather than the OT cast. Take him out of the X4 cast and put him with the FC cast, and which cast looks more popular now?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #953
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Even if more than half of the most recognisable original cast members are missing? No Professor X, no Magneto, no Jean, no Scott, no Mystique? DoFP is meant to focus on the relationship between Professor X and Magneto a lot, and then they're not even going to be in the next movie?
And why wouldn't they be in a possible next film? Bryan has already said that DOFP will "fix ****" - isn't it very possible that that fixing involves the return of Cyclops and Jean? Professor X?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #954
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
And why wouldn't they be in a possible next film? Bryan has already said that DOFP will "fix ****" - isn't it very possible that that fixing involves the return of Cyclops and Jean? Professor X?
It's possible, but I was responding to psylockolussus specifically, and the scenario in which X4 happens right after X3, with no changes other than the Sentinels period being erased.

Incidentally, now that The Wolverine is in the mix, I don't know if it makes sense to say post-X3 anyway. At least one OT character's post-X3 future would be already mapped out, DoFP or not.

And if DoFP changes the future and brings Jean back, how would this affect The Wolverine, would it make it obsolete? Since Wolverine wouldn't have Jean's death to mourn and all. It would be kinda weird IMO to "erase" a movie a mere year after it's released.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 04-11-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #955
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If they are bothering to use time travel to as Bryan Singer has said correct things It's
obvious where the plan Is for future post DOFP films.And It Isn't In First Class past.

X-Men Is not Star Trek.Untill Trek was turned Into Star wars copy X-Men has always been bigger than Trek and X-Men and Real Trek shared some of same fans.Why else do you think
some were pushing Patrick Stewart to play Xavier.

If Fox has any plans to reboot why even bother with the Wolverine and DOFP? Studios
don't really give a damn about giving closure to fans.

Do people really think 1:Bryan would In DOFP erase his own films? Sure he would be willing to do It with last Stand and Origins but not X-Men and X2 and 2:Why would he
be involved In talks with future films If Fox was going to reboot.It makes no sense to reboot and have people responable for launching the X-Men series In first place involved.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #956
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
If they are bothering to use time travel to as Bryan Singer has said correct things It's
obvious where the plan Is for future post DOFP films.And It Isn't In First Class past.

X-Men Is not Star Trek.Untill Trek was turned Into Star wars copy X-Men has always been bigger than Trek and X-Men and Real Trek shared some of same fans.Why else do you think
some were pushing Patrick Stewart to play Xavier.

If Fox has any plans to reboot why even bother with the Wolverine and DOFP? Studios
don't really give a damn about giving closure to fans.

Do people really think 1:Bryan would In DOFP erase his own films? Sure he would be willing to do It with last Stand and Origins but not X-Men and X2 and 2:Why would he
be involved In talks with future films If Fox was going to reboot.It makes no sense to reboot and have people responable for launching the X-Men series In first place involved.
The interesting issue raised by Mrs Vimes was that if DoFP fixes things and ends up with the return of Famke's Jean Grey, where does that leave The Wolverine?

The storyline of The Wolverine is built upon the fact that he is grieving over Jean's death.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #957
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
The interesting issue raised by Mrs Vimes was that if DoFP fixes things and ends up with the return of Famke's Jean Grey, where does that leave The Wolverine?

The storyline of The Wolverine is built upon the fact that he is grieving over Jean's death.
And now she ain't dead so he can stop grieving. Jean's Resurrection will not discount anything that happens in The Wolverine. Also Logan's grieving of Jean is nothing more than a subplot the main plot revolves around his mortality.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #958
The End
Side-Kick

I'm kinda worried 'cause I think X-Men: First Class is great, but they brought Singer back instead of sticking with that director.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #959
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Your forgetting some facts
A:Singer was very much involved with first Class.Devolping story for film,picking characters,
and was handson producer of film
B:Matthew Vaughn was signed to direct,was working on script with SImon Kinberg and apparently Jane Goldman but moved over to producer to work on Secret Service and only then after Vaughn voluntly on his own decided not to direct did Bryan take over as
Director.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #960
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

singer does see first class as part his film so i'm sure he will stay loyal to what the director did with first class

Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #961
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
And now she ain't dead so he can stop grieving. Jean's Resurrection will not discount anything that happens in The Wolverine. Also Logan's grieving of Jean is nothing more than a subplot the main plot revolves around his mortality.
I think what they're saying is that the "fix" would mean that Jean never died in X3. It wouldn't be a resurrection. So Logan would have no reason to go to Japan and the events of that movie would essentially never happen.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #962
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
I think what they're saying is that the "fix" would mean that Jean never died in X3. It wouldn't be a resurrection. So Logan would have no reason to go to Japan and the events of that movie would essentially never happen.
I seriously never considered this, I can't believe it, but it never even crossed my mind, interesting.

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
Old 04-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #963
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
point taken, I'm not too sure what to think about that.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #964
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Exactly. However, Wolverine might still want to go to Japan if Jean and Scott both returned (in Singer's fix) and were so obviously together and happily in love that he thought he should move on and stop lusting after what he couldn't have.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #965
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Incidentally, now that The Wolverine is in the mix, I don't know if it makes sense to say post-X3 anyway. At least one OT character's post-X3 future would be already mapped out, DoFP or not.
Yeah I forgot to say post-the Wolverine.

Quote:

I'll grant you Wolverine and perhaps Storm, but I doubt that the general public is all that interested in seeing the adventures of minor OT characters like Kitty, Iceman, Rogue and Colossus. Maybe Wolverine's presence alone would be enough to get the public interested, but then it's all really about Wolverine rather than the OT cast. Take him out of the X4 cast and put him with the FC cast, and which cast looks more popular now?
Yes thats why they will have to bring new villains/X-Men members.

Wolverine/present X-Men = more money
Another FC movie set in the past = less money

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #966
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Yes thats why they will have to bring new villains/X-Men members.

Wolverine/present X-Men = more money
Another FC movie set in the past = less money
Exactly.

However, I do believe that another FC film set in the past could be extremely bankable if they choose classic characters (Jean, Scott, Storm, etc.,) and cast big names or up-and-coming actors to play the roles.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #967
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Extremely bankable if the budget is less than 100 million dollars but I don't see any of these future X-Men films having a budget of less than 100 million.

I don't see having a FC film with Jean/Storm/Scott necessary anymore now that they brought back the original cast. They just can't do 2 film set in the past then 2 movies post X3 then after that, do another film set in the past again. It just doesn't flow nicely.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #968
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
However, I do believe that another FC film set in the past could be extremely bankable if they choose classic characters (Jean, Scott, Storm, etc.,) and cast big names or up-and-coming actors to play the roles.
I think so too. Plus sequels usually fare better at the box office. Now that the world is aware of the FC crew and it was received well plus did decent business, grabbing a stronger box office wouldnt be a problem imo.

If anything FC proved even the weakest line up of X-Men can still do decent business.

Last edited by def28; 04-12-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #969
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Decent business will get this franchise nowhere, X-Men will never get the recognition/success that Avengers, Spider-Man and Iron Man achieved if they keep making prequels. Even if it outgrosses First Class/the 1st X-Men movie, it wouldn't surpass the other films. In my opinion, if they are gonna make another film, it should be the one that will really attract to the general public.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #970
def28
Side-Kick

They should always have the main team. But even that hasn't gotten them those kinds of numbers yet. WW FC isnt really that far from the rest of the series and considering that film has a weak roster I think that says alot about the X-Men name in general. Theres not a doubt in my mind that they could use other characters and still walk away with some solid box office given the films continue to be good enough.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #971
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I'm not sure if further First Class prequels would work, even with the four key actors who will be in DoFP.

It all depends on how the land lies at the end of DoFP (what has been erased/fixed, who ends up alive/dead or in another timeline), but I would say moving forwards might be a better option.

Keep the main players, phase out the veterans as they get too old and add some new characters to keep the franchise fresh. Also, make the films big and bold and epic (like Avengers, Dark Knight) - cityscapes, kick-ass action, top-notch FX, embracing the comics with accurate portrayals.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #972
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I don't see a straight up First Class sequel happening after DOFP. Fox will not want to step back after the event movie they are planning. The end of this film will probably tell us all exactly where things are heading, and while I doubt they will invest all this time only to reboot after, I expect there will be a "clean slate" of sorts ready for a new set of films.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #973
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I'm not sure if further First Class prequels would work, even with the four key actors who will be in DoFP.

It all depends on how the land lies at the end of DoFP (what has been erased/fixed, who ends up alive/dead or in another timeline), but I would say moving forwards might be a better option.
I think they had two more FC film's tops before the announcement of DOFP. FC was my favorite X Film but I never liked the restrictions with everything having to line up or putting too many characters in the past. So yeah, moving forward in modern times is def the way I prefer the series to go. That said, giving the FC crew their own timeline could work fine and give the series more room to grow. I don't know if they will want to ditch some of these leads from FC yet, especially if this film is focused on Mcavoy and Fassbender again. Like you said all depends, who knows what their plan is. I would assume one of the teams is getting a clean slate.

Last edited by def28; 04-12-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #974
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

FOX is taking a lot of inspiration from Marvel Studios, so it wouldn't be a surprise if the X-Men franchise branches off like the Avengers franchise and we see separate films and sequels further on.

It'd mean that characters like Havok and Banshee are still active FC members but the ones involved in the DOFP story are the ones we'll be seeing; like Iron Man while no War Machine in TA. Continuing the FC cast seems to be the most logical way to go with the franchise, while still adding more stand-alone films like The Wolverine (which, in all honestly, is reminding me too much of a really bad mock-off of a Tarantino movie).

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #975
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Decent business will get this franchise nowhere, X-Men will never get the recognition/success that Avengers, Spider-Man and Iron Man achieved if they keep making prequels. Even if it outgrosses First Class/the 1st X-Men movie, it wouldn't surpass the other films. In my opinion, if they are gonna make another film, it should be the one that will really attract to the general public.
DOFP is the one that is really attracting the general public. And seriously, with a cast of Oscar-people? THis is an all-out ensemble. You have Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Jennifer Lawrence, and even Ellen Page in the same movie together -- it's just wrong to think that wouldn't appeal to the general audience.

Or the sci-fi fans for that matter. Even non X-Men fans would be stoked to come watch the Sentinels and Time Travel with mutants

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Closed Thread