The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #726
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post
I'm sorry, but that was one of the worst moments in the film for me. I literally rolled my eyes and thought ''wtf is this ****''. Just so terribly lame and un-Catwoman like.
You'll have to explain.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #727
OutRiddled
Banned User

Because Catwoman uses her sexuality, she doesn't pretend to act like a frightened woman. She uses her sexuality like a weapon so her opponent lets their guard down then she slashes his face or kicks him in the balls.

Yeah, she likes to use disguises so that she can get into places to burgle them or trick Batman. When Lee Meriweather was 'Miss Kitka' and Bruce Wayne tried to save her, it was all part of her disguise to trap Batman.

Acting like a distressed woman just to avoid the cops is just terribly lame, and not to mention that scene came off as cheesy. Since when would Catwoman do that? She's supposed to be a badass.

EDIT: And yes, I am aware of Michelle Pfieffer's "How could you? I'm a woman" which is my least favourite line of hers, but at least afterward SHE KICKED BATMAN IN THE BALLS. Since when did Hathaway have any moment as awesome as that?

Last edited by OutRiddled; 04-12-2013 at 03:51 AM.
OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #728
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

You're equating a situation with Selina Kyle who is in civilian clothing surrounded by a squad of armed Cops to:

1. Miss Kitka setting Bruce up because she had Penguin, Joker, Riddler and a gang of henchmen backing her up (Catwoman never took part in the fights in that series btw).

2. Pfeiffer's Catwoman taking on just Batman by himself

They are all completely different situations.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #729
OutRiddled
Banned User

Yeah but that's a cliched scene that I've already seen in other flicks. Yes, I know the cops act dumb in these movies, but I don't find that situation realistic at all. It was so cliched, corny and cheesy that I'm not surprised it's in a Nolan movie.

Catwoman's characterisation was just way off, and not just that scene either. The 60's Catwomen may not have ever engaged in physical combat, but they were still always trying to kill Batman, and ordering around their henchmen "Stroke my pussy willows".

Hathaway's Catwoman was afraid of Bane lol and ends up with Bruce at the end.. Just so Nolan can tie up all the loose ends to his trilogy.. In Batman Returns, Catwoman was much more mysterious and ambiguous which adds much more to her characterisation.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #730
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Selina is someone who first and foremost looks out for herself and does whatever she needs to do in order to suit her interests. That scene is to Catwoman what the pencil scene is to the Joker.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #731
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Yeah but that's a cliched scene that I've already seen in other flicks. Yes, I know the cops act dumb in these movies, but I don't find that situation realistic at all. It was so cliched, corny and cheesy that I'm not surprised it's in a Nolan movie.

Catwoman's characterisation was just way off, and not just that scene either. The 60's Catwomen may not have ever engaged in physical combat, but they were still always trying to kill Batman, and ordering around their henchmen "Stroke my pussy willows".

Hathaway's Catwoman was afraid of Bane lol and ends up with Bruce at the end.. Just so Nolan can tie up all the loose ends to his trilogy.. In Batman Returns, Catwoman was much more mysterious and ambiguous which adds much more to her characterisation.
A cliched scene? But instead you want a cliched scene of Selina Kyle using her sexuality in a situation like that where she needs to appear innocent and a victim to get out of there without any questions? So she says to them something along the lines of "hello boys" and shows off some cleavage, and they just let her walk out of there with their mouths drooling?

That would be corny and cliched and wouldn't belong in a Nolan movie.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #732
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Since when did Hathaway have any moment as awesome as that?
When she trapped Batman for Bane.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #733
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

The cops would've come across as more dumb if Selina simply acted sexy in that scene to get out of it. It's like they see a beautiful women enticing them and think "oh yeah, she's not involved in any of this. Nothing suspicious here."

Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #734
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Oh but you would find Catwoman wiggling her tits and ass at the Cops in order to just walk away from them no questions asked much more plausible.

Sounds like something from a Michael Bay movie.

Quote:
Every villain and villainess on the show ordered their henchmen around and tried to kill Batman. What makes Catwoman so impressive?

Quote:
Hathaway's Catwoman was afraid of Bane
With good reason. Have you ever seen Selina a target of an organization like the LOS?

Quote:
and ends up with Bruce at the end.. Just so Nolan can tie up all the loose ends to his trilogy
Just like in several comic book stories.

Quote:
]In Batman Returns, Catwoman was much more mysterious and ambiguous which adds much more to her characterisation.
No she wasn't. We knew all we needed to know about her. She was a bumbling mousey secretary, she had a sucky love life, her mom was always calling her nagging her, she lived in a low rent looking apartment, she was pushed out of a window by her corrupt boss for discovering incriminating files, revived by cats, went nuts, magically acquired incredible fighting and whip skills, and became supernatural.

There's no mystery here except the hole filled writing of how she became such an amazing fighter and whip expert in a day.

- The Joker
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #735
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Lol, OutRiddled has the unique ability to get folks who aren't even the biggest fans of this movie to swarm in on him. But I'm sure he's under the assumption that everyone who dares to question his strange assessments is just some blind Nolanite.

Fascinating to watch really.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #736
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^

When reading this "debate", it's very, very true.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #737
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #738
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Anne was so badass in those scenes.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #739
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I just re-watched returns and something i still don't get was why did cat-woman even had a grudge against batman at all? let alone to go through the trouble of trying to team up with penguin against him?

That element did seem a bit forced and needed some explanation.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #740
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post

That's just weird.

milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #741
milost
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I still don't get was why did cat-woman even had a grudge against batman at all? let alone to go through the trouble of trying to team up with penguin against him?

Batman "napalmed her arm" and bucked her off the building when she was starting to feel good about herself.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #742
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by milost View Post
Batman "napalmed her arm" and bucked her off the building when she was starting to feel good about herself.
That was after she jabbed at his innards while they were flirting essentially. The fight didn't make much sense. Batman followed her after she blew up that building but she was the first one to strike.

I liked the chemistry between the two of them, i just didn't buy catwoman having a real/legitimate grudge against batman at any point though.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #743
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
I just re-watched returns and something i still don't get was why did cat-woman even had a grudge against batman at all? let alone to go through the trouble of trying to team up with penguin against him?

She wanted Shreck's blood. Batman was against it.

OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #744
geetard
The Amazon Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
[GIFs galore]

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #745
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Catwoman: The law doesn't apply to him or us!
Batman: Wrong on both counts.

......How many people did Batman kill that stupid movie?

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Cagefighterkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #746
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
I liked the chemistry between the two of them, i just didn't buy catwoman having a real/legitimate grudge against batman at any point though.
Catwoman is a criminal. Batman fights criminals. Catwoman fights Batman.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #747
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagefighterkip View Post

And what is this about? Batman kills. In all movies. Stupid movie - are you talking about The Dark Knight Rises? Yeah, he killed several people there.

Also, do you get that Batman didn't want to kill Shreck and wanted to put him in jail? Unlike Selina?

Last edited by OutOfBoose; 04-13-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #748
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

The double standard with some fans is ridiculous...

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #749
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Well technically he didn't know she was after Shreck until the Masquerade Ball and they found out each other's identities, just after she whipped out a gun and said she was going to kill Max.

Her vendetta against Batman, it seemed to stem from a hardcore feminist attitude against men in general:

"I just love a big strong man who's not afraid to show it with someone half his size"
"You make it so easy don't you. Always waiting for some Batman to save you"
"You poor guys. Always confusing your pistols with your privates"

So when Batman napalmed her arm and knocked her off a building, she took it as personally as she did when Schreck knocked her out of a window. Don't forget she was clearly mentally unstable by now, too. I mean she gave herself a "bath" in front of the Penguin by licking herself all over like she was an actual cat cleaning itself.

Bonkers.

- The Joker
Old 04-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #750
milost
Banned User

Quote:
That was after she jabbed at his innards while they were flirting essentially. The fight didn't make much sense. Batman followed her after she blew up that building but she was the first one to strike.

Batman was confronting the Penguin, Catwoman came strolling out of Shrek's department store, then it blows up.

Batman has no context. What's he going to do? Just let her get away?

He pursues her up the building, then she lashes out at him and manages to kick him over the edge. He burns her, she stabs him, he reacts and hits her off the building. Sounds legit to me.

This too,

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Well technically he didn't know she was after Shreck until the Masquerade Ball and they found out each other's identities, just after she whipped out a gun and said she was going to kill Max.

Her vendetta against Batman, it seemed to stem from a hardcore feminist attitude against men in general:

"I just love a big strong man who's not afraid to show it with someone half his size"
"You make it so easy don't you. Always waiting for some Batman to save you"
"You poor guys. Always confusing your pistols with your privates"

So when Batman napalmed her arm and knocked her off a building, she took it as personally as she did when Schreck knocked her out of a window. Don't forget she was clearly mentally unstable by now, too. I mean she gave herself a "bath" in front of the Penguin by licking herself all over like she was an actual cat cleaning itself.

Bonkers.

Yup.

She didn't think too highly of men at that point (save for Bruce Wayne ironically) and Batman was pursuing her. Makes sense to me.

Catwoman even says, "Batman napalmed my arm when I was just starting to feel good about myself (she was trying to ruin Shrek) I want to play an integral part in his degradation."

Originally Penguin wanted to simply kill him off, it was Catwoman's idea to frame him and make him look like a monster to the city instead of a martyr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagefighterkip View Post

Batman didn't want to see her go down that route. Where would killing Shrek have gotten her?

Then again, she does tell Batman that he's being purposely naive. She might be right. What good would sending Shrek to jail do? He'd squirm his way out of that situation too, like he always has.

It might be a bit hypocritical on Batman's part but the two thugs Batman killed were never really about revenge or payback. Nothing that will haunt him. They were just encounters where he quickly dealt with them in the situation.

- The Devil fire eater freak? Burned him to death (assuming he died, I think he did) after he was setting innocent citizens on fire.

- Strongman? Couldn't take him down like the other members of the gang, strapped a bomb to him.

That's it. Two gang freaks. In Begins, there's that iffy situation with Ra's (and the LoS if you want to count them). In The Dark Knight, Batman kills the garbage driver thug and Dent. In Dark Knight Rises, Talia's driver (I don't count Talia, she drove off into the hole).

Bruce saw what she was attempting. She was going to take her pistol and blow Shrek away, but she was having second thoughts. Bruce witnessed this. As much as Wayne hated Shrek, he didn't know what he did to her.

"Don't tell me killing Max won't solve anything, because it will. Aren't you tired of this sanctimonious robber baron coming out on top when he should be six feet under?"

"You may have problems with your boss, but who do you think you are?"

Wanye/Batman was trying to protect her. He didn't know the extend of the damage or what was going on.

Last edited by milost; 04-13-2013 at 02:27 PM.