Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #76
JP
Flame On

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post

Case in point. Bad wig. Unflatting outfit. And once again, the "non-make-up" look.

Boring.
But..

Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #77
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
But..

Sorry, everything there is drab, boxy, and unflattering.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #78
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Louise is just...terrible. She's the only costume designer I know that can take women as extraordinarily gorgeous as Halle, Famke and Anna and make them look so bland and tepid. And it's not just the clothes....even their make-up is flat and boring.

I was already prepared for her costuming of Storm to be effed up. But I'm afraid that she simply won't know what the hell to do with Halle is preggers mode...I'm expecting something frumpy and shapeless.
Knowing Louise, she'll put Halle in tarpaulin from one of the delivery trucks. lol

But it's likely Halle will be in a prison jumpsuit if they are shown in captivity, and then she'll have to return (after she's given birth) to film scenes they might use for the end of the movie where the fixed timeline is in place. Then Halle can wear something like the comic book Storm outfit that has the top and pants connected by a metal ring.

Chat to me on Twitter @ TheGeekFiles
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #79
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
They did it with January Jones on Mad Men as well back when she was pregnant.
Aww this must makes me wish DOFP had a good costumer like the AMAZING team that works on Mad Men.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #80
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I want Tom Ford to work on the men's outfits but that's clearly not gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
While Halle is pregnant, why spend money on a costume when wearing a canvas tent will do?
Haha see! This guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Then Halle can wear something like the comic book Storm outfit that has the top and pants connected by a metal ring.
Always been a fan of that look. Make it happen!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #81
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
But..

Looks like a scene from a low-budget sitcom. I'm sorry, but you have two hunky actors and a gorgeous actress and all of them look like frumps here. Kate's hair looks like burnt noodles. Even the kid's outfit is lacking personality.

As a former physique and (to a limited extent underwear) model, I know I can be a bit overly critical but damn...I can't help it. I mean, look at Clark's suit: completely shapeless and unflattering for him. It's simply not realistic. In REAL life, people who hit the gym and take of their bodies wear tailored clothing that shows off their hard work in the gym. You would never know that Kate, James or Brandon had bodies judging by this s***. It doesn't even have to be "tight"--just TAILORED.

And everything is BROWN. No patterns or pops of color. Just boring as hell. And this is her signature in every film Bryan does with her.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 04-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #82
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Looks like a scene from a low-budget sitcom. I'm sorry, but you have two hunky actors and a gorgeous actress and all of them look like frumps here. Even the kid's outfit is lacking personality. I mean, look at Clark's suit: completely shapeless and unflattering for him. It's simply not realistic. In REAL life, people who hit the gym and take of their bodies wear tailored clothing that shows off their hard work in the gym. You would never know that Kate, James or Brandon had bodies judging by this s***.
Yup, agree completely.

Brandon's pants are unflattering and I think they're pleated?? Kate's shirt isn't tailored (even the sleeves are too long... that is just amateur hour), and is she wearing a vest? She must have dressed to match her sad hair. And James looks ok, but why is he in brown also??

Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #83
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Brandon's pants are unflattering and I think they're pleated?? Kate's shirt isn't tailored (even the sleeves are too long... that is just amateur hour), and is she wearing a vest? She must have dressed to match her sad hair. And James looks ok, but why is he in brown also??
Answer to all these questions: it's a DC movie.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #84
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
No, that's just the costume designer's idea of what a modern career gal should look like.

Here's another example:

GAWD. The jacket doesn't even fit.
Holy hell--look at the sleeves?!?!?!?!!!!!

And more brown and gray...no color or patterns to be seen. Maybe the budget is just severely limited. Perhaps by keeping ALL the wardrobes in brown they can just have the actors trade outfits and the audience would never notice...ya know, cutting corners for the budget.

I mean, apparently they couldn't even afford shoes for home girl walking on the right. They were like, "Gurl, you're just an extra, be glad you're gonna be in this movie. Now get your ass to walking in them socks!"

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 04-13-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #85
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Answer to all these questions: it's a DC movie.
LOL!

I know I'm being super b-tchy, but after how sleek FC looked I don't want DOFP to go back to looking bland like the OT.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #86
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe the budget is just severely limited. I mean, apparently they couldn't even afford shoes for home girl walking on the right. They were like, "Gurl, you're just an extra, be glad you're gonna be in this movie. Now get your ass to walking in them socks!"
OMG, I was going to say the same thing when I looked at the pic again. Girl is straight up walking down the street in socks. That's gangsta.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #87
Lightning Strykez!

Crack the heavens! Remove this designer from our path! Repel her and deliver us!

Be Gooonnnee! LOL

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 04-13-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #88
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Are those socks or ankle length boots?

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 04-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #89
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Are those socks or ankle length boots?
I think they're footies. LOL

Old 04-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #90
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:

Well, this explains it.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #91
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:

Crack the heavens! Remove this designer from our path! Repel her and deliver us!

Be Gooonnnee! LOL
Hahaha. I'm really sorry that I started this negative trend in the thread... the costuming in X1 through Origins (I know she didn't do X3, but I was still unimpressed) has just always been a sore subject for me.

When Louise was interviewed on the X1.5 DVD, she went on and on about her reasoning and rationale. She said that she was going for classic... where the designs couldn't be assigned to any era. Everything would be timeless. I remember my first reaction being, "oh great, designs we can hate no matter what year it is."

And over ten years later I still feel exactly the same way.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #92
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Maybe in Superman Returns though, she was trying (but not succeeding) in evoking the look of the late 1930s when Superman first debuted. And maybe Routh's clothing isn't meant to fit or look tailored to hide his physique, so that he specifically DOESN'T look big built like Superman.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #93
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Lots of fashionistas on here apparently.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #94
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Hahaha. I'm really sorry that I started this negative trend in the thread... the costuming in X1 through Origins (I know she didn't do X3, but I was still unimpressed) has just always been a sore subject for me.

When Louise was interviewed on the X1.5 DVD, she went on and on about her reasoning and rationale. She said that she was going for classic... where the designs couldn't be assigned to any era. Everything would be timeless. I remember my first reaction being, "oh great, designs we can hate no matter what year it is."

And over ten years later I still feel exactly the same way.
"Classic" my ass. Her characters basically look just like her personal styles in dress and grooming.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #95
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Yea and the posting and shaming of Louise's looks is just taking it too far. Shame on you guys.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #96
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe in Superman Returns though, she was trying (but not succeeding) in evoking the look of the late 1930s when Superman first debuted. And maybe Routh's clothing isn't meant to fit or look tailored to hide his physique, so that he specifically DOESN'T look big built like Superman.
I very much think that's exactly what she was trying to achieve, but like you said... she didn't succeed. Louise goes for the timeless look, but she just doesn't have the taste or skill for the execution.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #97
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

I thought Superman Returns was her best work. I thought everything looked great.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #98
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yea and the posting and shaming of Louise's looks is just taking it too far. Shame on you guys.
I don't think LS is shaming her looks. He's showing how she dresses herself as an example of her aesthetic. No one said anything about looks until you brought it up.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #99
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
Lots of fashionistas on here apparently.
Not at all actually. But costuming is a HUGE element of making a film visually stunning and memorable. The X-Men franchise, especially when compared to some of the other CBM properties has just been kinda bland in this category.

Especially the women. I've noticed that in all of Bryan's films (where Louise is doing the costuming) the actresses look way more...well, almost masculinized compared to the way these women comport themselves off-camera.

That's why I said I already expect Storm to look bland and boring in DoFP, because when you look at Louise herself, it's not exactly a very feminine look she's chosen for herself. It's rather masculine. Nothing wrong with that...but notice that she is not a fan of wearing make-up either. So therefore, I am not shocked that the actresses under her management are never really dolled up or sexy looking.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 04-13-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #100
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Oh, come OFF it.

She's an executive working on this production and all we're doing is drawing a correlation between her personal aesthetic and how they are translated through her work. Costume and fashion designers are artists. And art is tangible material eligible for a fair and honest critique.

Such constructive criticism is no different than that focused on directors who are fanboys (like Joss Whedon) or non-fanboys (like Michael Bay) and how their personal outlook affects their directorial output.

Closed Thread