Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #101
josh8
Side-Kick

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Oh, come OFF it.

She's an executive working on this production and all we're doing is drawing a correlation between her personal aesthetic and how they are translated through her work. Costume and fashion designers are artists. And art is tangible material eligible for a fair and honest critique.

Such constructive criticism is no different than that focused on directors who are fanboys (like Joss Whedon) or non-fanboys (like Michael Bay) and how their personal outlook affects their directorial output.
Agreed. Fashion aesthetic and physical appearance are not one and the same. The former is fair game because this is her job. No one is "shaming" the latter.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #102
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
OMG, I was going to say the same thing when I looked at the pic again. Girl is straight up walking down the street in socks. That's gangsta.
They look like socks to me. I mean...if they were boots how would you get them on? They look so tight and fitted to her actual foot.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #103
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Not at all actually. But costuming is a HUGE element of making a film visually stunning and memorable. The X-Men franchise, especially when compared to some of the other CBM properties has just been kinda bland in this category.
Yeah... I get that. What I don't get is the vibe you describe at all. Hence, the comment.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #104
BMM
Side-Kick

Say what you will about her, but I've always liked how Mingenbach brings in elements from the X-Men's comic costumes into the characters' everyday wear--Rogue's green hood in X-Men, Cyclops and Jean in the museum, even Jubilee. All far better than the off the rack nonsense in The Last Stand.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #105
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
But it's likely Halle will be in a prison jumpsuit if they are shown in captivity, and then she'll have to return (after she's given birth) to film scenes they might use for the end of the movie where the fixed timeline is in place. Then Halle can wear something like the comic book Storm outfit that has the top and pants connected by a metal ring.
Halle's natural beauty has never really been displayed in the OT... much of it having to do with distracting wigs and bad costuming. If DOFP does go the prisoner route, it might be a chance to see Storm without all the fuss. Take this pic for example:

Halle's look in a plain beach dress beats most of her looks in the OT. This would actually be a pretty sexy prisoner outfit!

Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #106
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
Yeah... I get that. What I don't get is the vibe you describe at all. Hence, the comment.
What "vibe" are you referring to? You've lost me Mulholland.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #107
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Say what you will about her, but I've always liked how Mingenbach brings in elements from the X-Men's comic costumes into their everyday wear--Rogue's green hood in X-Men, Cyclops and Jean in the museum, even Jubilee. All far better than the off the rack nonsense in The Last Stand.
In fairness, I didn't like the X3 designs at all haha. I've only liked FC.

But you're right, I did appreciate her effort. In that sense, at least it wasn't just a job to her and she took her craft seriously and put thought into it.

Last edited by josh8; 04-13-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #108
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Say what you will about her, but I've always liked how Mingenbach brings in elements from the X-Men's comic costumes into their everyday wear--Rogue's green hood in X-Men, Cyclops and Jean in the museum, even Jubilee. All far better than the off the rack nonsense in The Last Stand.
I disagree. I thought Judiana Makovsky (sp?) did a much better job of making the actresses especially look sexy and attractive. Everyone's garb looked so much more expensive! They wore clothing that actually FIT them...everything was tailored and sleek. The corsets, etc., all played up their physiques in a sophisticated way. It was the first time I felt Storm actually looked like a woman who was aware of her sex appeal.

And the men looked hot as hell too. Xavier's suits and necktie combos were effing GLORIOUS. And Logan's jeans were fitting him just right. When the X-Men were heading to the Blackbird (In X3's last act) several women in our theater audience screamed at that shot of his ass bouncing in the leather. LOL

It's about taking these beautiful actors you've been given, looking at the source material and donning them in fabrics that say the BEST about both.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #109
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
In fairness, I didn't like the X3 designs at all haha. I've only liked FC.

But you're right, I did appreciate her effort. In that sense, at least it wasn't just a job to her and she took her craft seriously and put thought into it.
Agreed. No one here is saying that Louise didn't put an effort into her fashion decisions. They were just unattractive decisions.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #110
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
What "vibe" are you referring to? You've lost me Mulholland.
How it looks like a low-budget sitcom.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #111
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think LS is shaming her looks. He's showing how she dresses herself as an example of her aesthetic. No one said anything about looks until you brought it up.
I didn't bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Well, this explains it.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #112
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Halle's natural beauty has never really been displayed in the OT... much of it having to do with distracting wigs and bad costuming. If DOFP does go the prisoner route, it might be a chance to see Storm without all the fuss. Take this pic for example:

Halle's look in a plain beach dress beats most of her looks in the OT. This would actually be a pretty sexy prisoner outfit!
They'd have to make one a few sizes up though to accommodate her pregnancy bump.

And if she is in prison, the food can't be good there, and not much chance for exercise, so she won't be able to work off the pounds... which would explain why she could get fat.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #113
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh I am totally with LS on that one. I wouldn't say sitcom but definitely not expensive movie quality. But in regards to the OT X-Men movies... to me they have always looked like they were TV movies. Of course the special effects and stuff are great, but some of the sets look really fake and the clothing cheap. You can see the corners they cut (and I'm sure that's Bryan trying to stretch a budget, for which I guess I am grateful haha).

But just to clarify, I love X1 and X2. I accept the shortcomings and just want better for DOFP.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #114
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I didn't bring it up.
Sorry, you did. Up until you said (and assumed) we were "shaming her LOOKS" LS had only been talking about her style. I guess "looks" can be interpreted in different ways.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #115
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:

Translation: cheap.

To illustrate:

Charles Xavier in 2000's X-Men with costume design by Louise Mingenbach.

Charles Xavier in 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand with costume design by Judiana Makovsky.

Charles Xavier in 2011's X-Men: First Class (forget the designer's name at the moment).

Notice the progression. With Louise's work, his suits are all dark, and not really fitted that well, and lacking color or real personality. Judianna's work showed a far more fashionable Xavier with pops of color and mixing and matching of patterns. In First Class, Xavier again had layers, rich textures and color variations. The latter two examples look like money. Louise's work looks cheap. And it's very possible that she had a smaller budget than the latter films, but then again even in X2, everyone still looked bland.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #116
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

If you say so.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #117
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sorry, you did. Up until you said (and assumed) we were "shaming her LOOKS" LS had only been talking about her style. I guess "looks" can be interpreted in different ways.
Sorry I didn't. Please learn how to read. In that post of mine that you quoted, I quoted Duran Man (quoting a pic LS posted of Louise) saying simply "Well, this explains it."

How else should one interpret that other than making fun of someone's looks?

(PS. Word of the day: Quoted)

Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #118
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Sorry I didn't. Please learn how to read. In that post of mine that you quoted, I quoted Duran Man (quoting a pic LS posted of Louise) saying simply "Well, this explains it."

But that doesn't mean that Duran was slamming her looks. He was simply stating that her characters take after her personal aesthetic. Which is the point the rest of us were making as well.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #119
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
But that doesn't mean that Duran was slamming her looks. He was simply stating that her characters take after her personal aesthetic. Which is the point the rest of us were making as well.

Oh, no LS. EnDz0n3 is right. I was slamming her looks.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #120
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
Oh, no LS. EnDz0n3 is right. I was slamming her looks.
Shame on you!!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #121
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yet you chose to shame us all when you now say it was only in response to one user's comment.

Look, I'm not unreasonable, so I apologize if any of our comments seemed out of line to you. But just as you want me to learn to read, please also try give some people the benefit of the doubt when their comments are open to interpretation. We're not all hate-filled. And cut it out with the snarkiness.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #122
Lightning Strykez!

Speak for yourself Josh. I truly hate those costumes. In fact, I am filled with hate for them. LOL

Old 04-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #123
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Speak for yourself Josh. I truly hate those costumes. In fact, I am filled with hate for them. LOL
Hah! You know I hate those costumes too!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #124
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Hah! You know I hate those costumes too!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #125
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I guess there's no chance of the Giant Size X-Men Storm costume with Halle's pregnancy bump.

Closed Thread